Chevron Techron

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2020 | 10:13 PM
Instructor

Chevron Techron

Some auto manufacturers recommend the use of Techron at certain junctures. I’ve not heard this for the new RDX but I’m curious if any of the motor knowledgeable folks on this site use it on their RDX or think it’s something useful for most cars?
Old 02-06-2020 | 11:18 PM
Advanced

I would think any top tier gas should be fine. Chevron doesn’t have stations in some parts of the US.

https://toptiergas.com/
Old 02-06-2020 | 11:28 PM
Instructor

I wasn’t clear—apologies. I’m talking about the fuel additive that cleans injectors, etc. Some manufacturers put it in the gas tank at time of required oil changes, for example.
Old 02-06-2020 | 11:56 PM
Burning Brakes

(I mentioned this before elsewhere but here you go) I use Chevron/Mobile/Shell in CA. Mobile is the smoothest, Chevron is slightly less smooth but a bit more power. Shell is the least smooth, especially during throttle on-off transition, but similar to Chevron once in the powerband.
Old 02-07-2020 | 01:13 AM
Drifting

The Techron additive in the bottle is relatively cheap and will do no harm. It's just a concentrate of the detergent cocktail in Chevron's top-tier fuel.

I use it once in a while in my vehicles, mostly for the placebo rush of power.
Old 02-07-2020 | 05:59 AM
Suzuka Master

Officially Acura does not recommend any additives, instead they recommend using good quality (top tier gas). If you’ve been getting questionable quality gas that does not have enough cleaning additives, running this stuff might be a good idea. But if you always put top tier gas - its not needed, but I agree that it wont hurt anything, just waste of money perhaps.
The following 2 users liked this post by russianDude:
Duna (02-12-2020), justnspace (02-07-2020)
Old 02-07-2020 | 09:53 AM
Drifting

Yeah, with a steady diet of good fuel you shouldn't need to add anything.

But if you end up putting in some sketchy fuel ( while traveling, for instance ), HEET or DryGas may be useful for water contamination. I wouldn't do it "just cuz", but if drivability problems crop up, especially in winter. In extreme cases, it may even be necessary to drain the tank.

Also, if you need to store the vehicle, or any other gasoline powered appliance, it's a very good idea to add STA-BIL to prevent deposits or gelled fuel inside the fuel system. A few ounces of prevention in this case can save a really expensive and/or PITA cure.

I had to completely drain a boat fuel tank once, filter the fuel through a coffee filter to remove the gelled gunk, and run the stuff through my lawn tractor mixed with fresh fuel. Gasoline is considered hazardous waste if it's not powering an ICE engine. Kinda makes you think about that.
Old 02-07-2020 | 05:20 PM
User Awaiting Email Confirmation

If you think you can "feel the difference" between fuel brands from pump fuel, you're deluded ... or you got gas from a poorly maintained gas station (regardless of brand).

Go ahead with Chevron Techron. It's good stuff. Is it absolutely necessary? Doubt it. Seemed to give my old CR-V (slow as molasses) a bit more pep. Didn't feel a damn difference in my other hi-po car. I know people who use fuel additives religiously and swear by them. I know even more people who never use them and have trouble-free motors and fuel systems with well over 100k miles. It's your money, your car. Try it out, if you like it, use it as you like. If not, don't sweat it.
Old 02-07-2020 | 11:03 PM
Racer

Gasoline is "fungible", that is, its basically all interchangeable. Its made to a certain standard. If Exon puts a million gallons of fuel into a cross country pipeline they get a million gallons of fuel out the other end. It may, or may not, be the same fuel they put in down in Texas or where ever, but they will get a million gallon at the other end. What changes is the additives. Those are normally not put in the gasoline until its ready to be shipped out to the dealers. Note, if you go to a gas station no matter what name is on the sign, they may be selling the same gas as another brand across the street. In the city where I live there is one fuel terminal and ALL brands get their gasoline from a single place. They can add things to it but its all the same gasoline.
As for adding addition additives yourself: Its your money and your vehicle, do what you want. Most people in the industry feel the same way about fuel additives as they do about oil additives...likely a waste of money for someone who uses a good brand of fuel (or oil) and drives the vehicle normally and regularly and never let it sit for months without driving, etc.
Top Tier fuel is clearly the best due to its additive package. Use good fuel from a brand name station that does a lot of business (fresh fuel in those tanks) and you will likely never need additional additives or have issues. In over five decades of driving I have never had a dirty fuel filter or fuel related problem and have never used an additive. I ran my 2001 Nissan Xterra for eleven years and well over 100,000 miles with the original filter and injectors and it ran like new when I sold it. Never had an additive but always had good name brand fuel. Same goes for all our vehicles. My father who lived in a rural area and bought cheap fuel from a local station....different story! I had to work on his truck a few times for dirt, water, etc. in his fuel.
The following 2 users liked this post by hans471:
SilverRDX2017 (02-09-2020), Wander (02-07-2020)
Old 02-07-2020 | 11:30 PM
Drifting

Interesting. I had no idea there were gasoline pipelines in the USA. I learned something new today. And having dealt with a major crude oil pipeline company in settlement of a rural family estate a few years ago, I find this somewhat terrifying.

https://www.eia.gov/energyexplained/...comes-from.php
Old 02-15-2020 | 11:17 AM
6th Gear

Originally Posted by romer
I wasn’t clear—apologies. I’m talking about the fuel additive that cleans injectors, etc. Some manufacturers put it in the gas tank at time of required oil changes, for example.
Shell's 91 is the best 91 that you can get readily available. Shell's 91 has up to 7 times more additives than other competitors. However, since the car is so new, theres nothing for the additives to clean. At this point, any 91 is fine.
Old 02-15-2020 | 04:22 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by ninety2
Shell's 91 is the best 91 that you can get readily available. Shell's 91 has up to 7 times more additives than other competitors. However, since the car is so new, theres nothing for the additives to clean. At this point, any 91 is fine.
You mean Shell is Top Tier gas, and so is Costco Kirkland gas. What evidence you have that its any better? I would rather get gas from station that has well maintained modern pumps and fresh gas delivered.
Old 02-15-2020 | 04:56 PM
Drifting

I don’t see how Shell is better than, say Texaco or Mobil. But I use Shell because I have a rewards card 5¢ off a gallon, and use a Shell credit card that gives me another 5¢ off a gallon and usually gets me the cash price. Since I can get back 2% off my credit card, the Shell card loses favor at some stations at home.
Old 02-15-2020 | 06:09 PM
6th Gear

Originally Posted by russianDude
You mean Shell is Top Tier gas, and so is Costco Kirkland gas. What evidence you have that its any better? I would rather get gas from station that has well maintained modern pumps and fresh gas delivered.
Did you even try to look up shell 91? Like i said, they use more additives than other competitors.
Old 02-15-2020 | 06:31 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by ninety2
Did you even try to look up shell 91? Like i said, they use more additives than other competitors.
Yes, saw their marketing material, looks good.