CarPlay still crashing after 1.2.1 update

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2019, 07:45 AM
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CarPlay still crashing after 1.2.1 update

I was really excited to see there was an update to fix the Apple CarPlay crashes. Unfortunately, my first crash happened within about 40 minutes of installing 1.2.1. Anecdotally, this update seems to have helped a lot of people. Is there anything else I can try?
Old 12-02-2019, 07:57 AM
Pro

Received 196 Likes on 124 Posts
Use a OEM Apple Cable, do a full back up and restore on your iPhone, and the 3 finger reboot on your car’s infotainment system. Others are report success with this method. Don’t use any Made for iPhone cables.
Old 12-02-2019, 08:01 AM
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I've done the first two. I've tried multiple cables and the current cable was brand new from a recent iPhone purchase. My phone was reset (again) last week before a long Thanksgiving road trip (just to see if it would fix this issue). If anything it's worse now. Before it would eventually be available again without me taking any action but now when it dies it stays dead. The phone won't even charge. I've not yet tried the 3-finger reboot so maybe I'll do that.
Old 12-02-2019, 08:13 AM
Pro

Received 196 Likes on 124 Posts
The only other thing I recommend trying is a factory reset of the system through the menu. Write down your station presets for the radio and SXM if you use it before doing this. Other than that I’m outta options. If you go to the dealer they are going to do/recommend the same thing. The fact that your phone won’t charge might be causing problems but I’m no super geek.
Old 12-02-2019, 11:38 AM

Received 25 Likes on 17 Posts
Originally Posted by Jay1431
The phone won't even charge.
That's a big red flag. My USB port is a bit finicky, and will occasionally disconnect the phone from a loose cable. If your phone isn't even charging, that suggests it's not plugged in properly.
Old 12-02-2019, 09:23 PM
Drifting

Received 587 Likes on 432 Posts
Originally Posted by DarkNinja75
That's a big red flag. My USB port is a bit finicky, and will occasionally disconnect the phone from a loose cable. If your phone isn't even charging, that suggests it's not plugged in properly.
Or the contacts in the iPhone lightning port are dirty and/or blocked by pocket lint.

Get a toothpick and get busy. Worst case, take it to an Apple store or Best Buy geek and let then have at it.
Old 12-06-2019, 04:52 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 30 Likes on 22 Posts
So I had problems with repeated drop connection to CarPlay while plugged in. I did the three finger reset. Used only a Apple cable and eventually a factory reset which was what seemed to have done the trick. It’s been 6 months and still working fine.
Old 12-07-2019, 06:58 AM
Instructor

Received 48 Likes on 26 Posts
My results after trying everything:

The cables are irrelevant. The USB port is fine. This is not a hardware problem.

Back up your phone. Erase it completely. Restore it, allowing the system to get fresh copies of all your apps from the App Store.

Your problem will be over. A few slightly annoying things will happen, e.g. needing to re-authenticate some apps and memberships after the restore.
Old 12-07-2019, 02:29 PM
Racer

Received 63 Likes on 45 Posts
Originally Posted by Jay1431
I was really excited to see there was an update to fix the Apple CarPlay crashes. Unfortunately, my first crash happened within about 40 minutes of installing 1.2.1. Anecdotally, this update seems to have helped a lot of people. Is there anything else I can try?
I would not minimize the contacts on the iphone where the cable connects. I noticed that if I was parked, car play worked fine. But when moving, the little vibrations caused the cable to lose and regain continuity with the iphone port, freezing carplay. I did two things to eliminate the issue. I air sprayed the iphone port to clear the dust out of it and I bought a premium cable that had kind of a braided covering rather than the plastic and the connector seemed to fit more snug in the port on the phone, especially after the dust was blown out. The tolerances on the phone port are very tight and you might not have the contact issue in the house when the phone is just sitting on a table when charging that you do in a car when in motion. Just saying what cured my issue which of course may have nothing to do with your issue.
Old 12-08-2019, 09:01 AM
Drifting

Received 1,025 Likes on 715 Posts
Originally Posted by DarkNinja75

I bought this.
Amazon Amazon

Acura practically admitted there may be a problem with their port. Page 239
Do not leave the iPod or USB flash drive in the vehicle. Direct sunlight and high temperatures may damage it.
We recommend using an extension cable with the USB port.
• Do not connect the iPod or USB flash drive using a hub.
I have not had any connection problems using this port extension, a six inch quality lightning cable, and the last update.
Old 12-08-2019, 10:50 AM
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Madd Dog
I bought this. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I have not had any connection problems using this port extension, a six inch quality lightning cable, and the last update.
I don’t get how an extension cable actually help? That’s counterintuitive to me...
Old 12-08-2019, 12:32 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by kebel87
I don’t get how an extension cable actually help? That’s counterintuitive to me...
I am not technical, but it may be that the extension makes a good, onetime hookup to the port, and any movement from the phone/cable is damped?

I don’t know, all I know is that with this setup, I have had no connection problems.
Old 12-08-2019, 02:21 PM
Advanced

Received 23 Likes on 15 Posts
I bought this. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Acura's main concern here is the melted or exploded or whatever else happened to the device (USB flash drive, iPod) connecting directly to the USB Port in direct sunlight over a long period of time may also damage the port. At least with the extension cable, it would only damage the cable, not the port. Much less expensive to replace the extension cable than the port.

I am not technical, but it may be that the extension makes a good, onetime hookup to the port, and any movement from the phone/cable is damped?

I don’t know, all I know is that with this setup, I have had no connection problems.
There actually is some merits to this rationale. Any movable part will wear out at some point. If you keep plugging and unplugging the cable from the port, it may degrade the connection sensitivity over time. With the extension cable staying intact, the part that's getting worn out is the extension cable port or the actual cable plugging into it -- again, less expensive to replace these.
Old 12-08-2019, 02:51 PM
Drifting

Before I hooked up the extension, I remember having to fumble a bit to get the jack in at that awkward angle. With the extension, it is an easy, two hand job.

Plus the extension is really cheap.