Body Flex popping

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2020, 07:08 PM
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Thank you

Originally Posted by PackerFl
Hi Ali,
My Dealer was Napleton Acura in West Palm Beach, Fl. As per the service advisor, he claimed it was something Acura was aware of and they fixed it without any hassle.
Thank You
Old 02-26-2020, 09:14 AM
Advanced

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by PackerFl
Hi Ali,
My Dealer was Napleton Acura in West Palm Beach, Fl. As per the service advisor, he claimed it was something Acura was aware of and they fixed it without any hassle.
huh thats by me, i been hearing the popping every morning and thought it was normal, well looks like i'll be going to get mine replace since i dont have to pay for it when i come in for my upcoming service maintenance
Old 02-26-2020, 11:02 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 324 Likes on 192 Posts
Originally Posted by not2envy
huh thats by me, i been hearing the popping every morning and thought it was normal, well looks like i'll be going to get mine replace since i dont have to pay for it when i come in for my upcoming service maintenance
my dealer like to just tell me it’s normal or they couldn’t hear anything
Old 08-04-2020, 12:07 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Hey Folks,

I too have this very noise with my 2020 A-Spec. For this who has had the dealer replace the sunroof rails, has your noise stay fixed? This is really annoying and I think the 20 inch wheels on my car makes the problem even more evident when I go over certain bumps with one of my front wheels.
Old 08-04-2020, 01:23 PM
Advanced

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by dsc888
Hey Folks,

I too have this very noise with my 2020 A-Spec. For this who has had the dealer replace the sunroof rails, has your noise stay fixed? This is really annoying and I think the 20 inch wheels on my car makes the problem even more evident when I go over certain bumps with one of my front wheels.
My 2019 does this same thing. Since day one. My sunroof even exploded on the back section. Not sure due to this. I've told them that it keeps poping even after new glass replacement. Of course they could not replicate and this is first time they heard of this issue from anyone. Highly doubt that. If someone has had a dealer identify it please let us know.
Old 08-04-2020, 10:55 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Mikeg040
My 2019 does this same thing. Since day one. My sunroof even exploded on the back section. Not sure due to this. I've told them that it keeps poping even after new glass replacement. Of course they could not replicate and this is first time they heard of this issue from anyone. Highly doubt that. If someone has had a dealer identify it please let us know.
Sorry to hear about you experience! This seems to vary dealer to dealer. Some seem to say that their's was fixed after their moonroof rails were replaced.

I hope others will also chime in to share their opinion on how well this issues has been remedied by their dealer.
Old 08-23-2020, 06:17 PM
Advanced

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by altayar
Had my son video the pop noise when I turn going over a driveway lip (etc...), is this the same type of noise others are experiencing? apologize for the video quality.
Hey altayar, my car makes the same noise as the one that can be heard in video 'IMG_0054'...definitely coming from the trunk when going over an uneven surface - like turning out of a driveway. Were you ever able to get this fixed?
Attached Files
File Type: mov
IMG_0054.mov (747.0 KB, 167 views)
Old 09-01-2020, 11:02 AM
Intermediate

Received 26 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by Gregory Kozlowski
Hey altayar, my car makes the same noise as the one that can be heard in video 'IMG_0054'...definitely coming from the trunk when going over an uneven surface - like turning out of a driveway. Were you ever able to get this fixed?
Unfortunately my 3 week old RDX has this "feature" as well. The first few times I thought it was a rear seat belt buckle hitting the door or other plastic and I didn't pay attention. When it continued to happen just about every time out of the driveway, I realized it had nothing to do with the seat belt buckle, but in fact was the sound of the sunroof popping with the torsional stress of encountering ground surfaces of different angles. Pretty piss poor in my opinion. Not sure of my best course of action. I've been down this road with many cars. The dealer will say it is normal or they were not able to duplicate the concern.
Old 09-01-2020, 06:31 PM
User Awaiting Email Confirmation

Received 381 Likes on 235 Posts
Pretty sure this is intrinsic with panoramic sunroofs. Just something you have to deal with. Also why I wish this bullshit was an option rather than standard equipment.
Old 09-01-2020, 08:49 PM
Racer

Received 161 Likes on 94 Posts
Hmmm, Acura was awfully proud of the extra rigidity they added for the panoramic sunroof. Joe Riggsby has some splainin' to do!!! Ironically, he won an award for the RDX.

Start near 3:00 mark:

Last edited by jmhumr; 09-01-2020 at 08:53 PM.
Old 09-01-2020, 09:06 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 230 Likes on 162 Posts
Originally Posted by leomio85
Pretty sure this is intrinsic with panoramic sunroofs. Just something you have to deal with. Also why I wish this bullshit was an option rather than standard equipment.
Definitely not a characteristic of panoramic sunroofs. I'm not a fan of them either but had no issues with my previous or (touches wood) current vehicle. With the shade drawn I more or less forget I have one.
So many things to like about the RDX but it seems like they are in perpetual beta mode.

The following 2 users liked this post by hand-filer:
Maverick2050 (03-22-2021), OtownPSU (09-02-2020)
Old 09-01-2020, 09:54 PM
Racer

Received 161 Likes on 94 Posts
Originally Posted by hand-filer
Definitely not a characteristic of panoramic sunroofs. I'm not a fan of them either but had no issues with my previous or (touches wood) current vehicle. With the shade drawn I more or less forget I have one.
So many things to like about the RDX but it seems like they are in perpetual beta mode.
Agreed. Leaking is common. Exploding glass is common. The popping described in this thread is not.
Old 09-01-2020, 09:58 PM
Advanced

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
I've tried to figure out exactly where it comes from but can't. I've put some foam tape around the center cross beam because I hear it there but doesn't do anything. It it is so annoying and dealer always tells me first time I'm hearing of this issue and they don't here the noise.
Old 09-12-2020, 12:21 PM
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
I'm still in the market for a new suv but every time I come back to this site and read about these issues and how they haven't been fixed I move on. Popping noise is unacceptable
Old 09-12-2020, 12:24 PM

Received 16,266 Likes on 11,974 Posts
Originally Posted by jmhumr
Agreed. Leaking is common. Exploding glass is common. The popping described in this thread is not.
Old 09-12-2020, 02:19 PM
Drifting

Received 803 Likes on 528 Posts
Originally Posted by blexann
I'm still in the market for a new suv but every time I come back to this site and read about these issues and how they haven't been fixed I move on. Popping noise is unacceptable
It seems like there may be a very low occurrence of this. I don't have it, and two friends who have 2020s don't either. Remember, by nature, car forums often seem to accentuate the actual number of cars with a particular issue, as the owners are looking for advice.
The following 2 users liked this post by JB in AZ:
anoop (09-12-2020), Maverick2050 (03-22-2021)
Old 09-12-2020, 09:22 PM
Advanced

Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts
Originally Posted by JB in AZ
It seems like there may be a very low occurrence of this. I don't have it, and two friends who have 2020s don't either. Remember, by nature, car forums often seem to accentuate the actual number of cars with a particular issue, as the owners are looking for advice.
My 2020 does this, as well as the other known crackling noise. I’ll mention it to the dealer on Tuesday when I go.
Old 09-14-2020, 07:12 AM
Intermediate

I read about this concern on this board before buying my RDX but decided to buy it anyway. Unfortunately my vehicle exhibits this feature. In my personal experience, the rate of occurrence is 100%.
Old 09-14-2020, 07:51 AM

Received 16,266 Likes on 11,974 Posts
I'm still in awe that the one guy thinks sunroof leaking is normal.
The following users liked this post:
OtownPSU (09-14-2020)
Old 09-14-2020, 09:20 AM
Drifting

Received 803 Likes on 528 Posts
Originally Posted by OtownPSU
I read about this concern on this board before buying my RDX but decided to buy it anyway. Unfortunately my vehicle exhibits this feature. In my personal experience, the rate of occurrence is 100%.
​​​​​​
Fair enough! In MY personal experience, the rate of occurrence is 0%.

Every single vehicle built and purchased will have something that some buyers are unhappy about. It could be a defect, or a design or engineering decision.
I am not happy with the Blind Spot Indicators on my RDX. I prefer them to be on the outside mirrors. Where they are located on the RDX, I find them not bright enough...(we get a lot of very bright sun here in the desert) so much so, that they are almost useless for me, other than at night. This is the ONLY vehicle I have had where I can't use them. It is what it is. A design choice by Acura that I knew about when I made my many test drives prior to buying, Apparently, I am alone in my distaste for their location. I don't eat broccoli, either. LOL I am extremely happy with my decision to have bought the RDX, and after 22,000 miles I still feel the same. IF I start having some of the issues that have been reported here, I might not..Dunno. But I would have the dealer look at them. I did have a black screen last week, but it fixed itself after 4 starts. BTW, valve stem caps are a less than five minute change, and free, as I had them in my box of unused auto accessories.

Let me ask you a question...Are you sorry that you bought your RDX? Other than you comparing my changing my green valve stem caps vs others changing to LED taillights bulbs, I haven't followed your past posts/discussions. I generally read each post as an individual post, and rarely pay attention to who the poster is, rather I try to take each post as it is written. BUT you DID get me started this morning! I apologize!

I have absolutely no regrets having bought my RDX, or being an active member of the RDX Forum.
Old 09-14-2020, 10:26 AM
Intermediate

​​​​​​
Fair enough! In MY personal experience, the rate of occurrence is 0%.

Every single vehicle built and purchased will have something that some buyers are unhappy about. It could be a defect, or a design or engineering decision.
I am not happy with the Blind Spot Indicators on my RDX. I prefer them to be on the outside mirrors. Where they are located on the RDX, I find them not bright enough...(we get a lot of very bright sun here in the desert) so much so, that they are almost useless for me, other than at night. This is the ONLY vehicle I have had where I can't use them. It is what it is. A design choice by Acura that I knew about when I made my many test drives prior to buying, Apparently, I am alone in my distaste for their location. I don't eat broccoli, either. LOL I am extremely happy with my decision to have bought the RDX, and after 22,000 miles I still feel the same. IF I start having some of the issues that have been reported here, I might not..Dunno. But I would have the dealer look at them. I did have a black screen last week, but it fixed itself after 4 starts. BTW, valve stem caps are a less than five minute change, and free, as I had them in my box of unused auto accessories.

Let me ask you a question...Are you sorry that you bought your RDX? Other than you comparing my changing my green valve stem caps vs others changing to LED taillights bulbs, I haven't followed your past posts/discussions. I generally read each post as an individual post, and rarely pay attention to who the poster is, rather I try to take each post as it is written. BUT you DID get me started this morning! I apologize!

I have absolutely no regrets having bought my RDX, or being an active member of the RDX Forum.
Not a fan of the location of the BSM warning light either, but my last 2 TLX's had them in the same location so I am used to them now. Wife's and daughter's cars have them in the mirrors and I much prefer those.

Regarding my satisfaction with my RDX, I am tentatively satisfied assuming the dealer is able to resolve the moonroof popping sound. Oh, and I just discovered the squealing brakes for the first time yesterday, that many have raved about as well. Joy. Hopefully the dealer can address those with the latest TSB as well.
RENARELLO (09-15-2020)
Old 09-15-2020, 07:07 AM
Instructor

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
Totally agree with the BSM light location.
I sometimes overlook it.
Old 09-15-2020, 07:12 AM
Pro

Received 191 Likes on 138 Posts
Originally Posted by Vegas RDX
Anyone experiance a popping noise while driving slowly in or out of a driveway or an approch of a business. Sounds like s popping noise in the roof area. Nothing is leaking but sounds like the body is flexing. Unknown strange noise.

No
Old 12-12-2020, 05:47 PM
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Gregory Kozlowski
nope never got it fixed. Service is aware of the issue because it occurs in the loaner cars. They claim they can’t replicate it in my car so they say they don’t know what to fix...
Old 12-12-2020, 07:02 PM
Intermediate

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
I had mine in last week for this issue. Sunroof frame on order. They say that some of the welds on the frame may be bad.
Old 12-14-2020, 11:54 AM
Intermediate

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally Posted by SH4RKT00TH
I have the what I think is sunroof popping as I hit inclined driveways/ramps.

So today I opened the sunroof prior to hitting the same ramp I previously heard popping - no popping occurred when the roof was open. It seems the sunroof flexes differently than the roof structure and that is the pop.
This is exactly what I'm experiencing... with it closed I get an occasional "pop" when the right front tire deflects, but no "pops" when I tilt or open the sunroof. Mine only "pops", when closed, when it's cold out... like below 50 degrees.

I've experimented a little with "micro-tilting" the sunroof... ie, just barely hitting the tilt button long enough to get the sunroof to move a fraction of a degree, and although I can't consistently repeat the position, I can get it to stop popping while the sunroof is still sealed, but not completely closed.

I haven't heard my wife's 2019 Advance pop at all, so I'm wondering if there is an adjustment that can be made.
lionel464 (05-17-2021)
Old 12-18-2020, 01:37 PM
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Vegas RDX
Anyone experiance a popping noise while driving slowly in or out of a driveway or an approch of a business. Sounds like s popping noise in the roof area. Nothing is leaking but sounds like the body is flexing. Unknown strange noise.

• I’ve had this issue from day one 16 months ago. I’ve visited/audio recorded it but the dealer says if they can’t replicate it, they won’t fix it. They have a tech bulletin on it but that’s not enough. Its one of the many reasons my RDX is a huge let down. The design, engineering, and manufacturing of my car make me go back to a German brand, any German brand.
Old 12-18-2020, 01:58 PM
Intermediate

I have an appointment for a new sunroof frame on Tuesday. Dealer told me that this will be the fifth one they have done. All stopped making the noise after this fix.
Old 02-02-2021, 05:26 PM
Intermediate

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Yikes, stumbled on this thread as I had noticed the sound the past few "driveway" attempts. Will ping my dealer to see what can be done.
Old 02-12-2021, 10:42 AM
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unfortunately I also have been experiencing this "popping" sound for about a year. Had it in to the dealer for regular service and reported it. Could not be duplicated at the time but service rep acknowledged hearing of it and believed Acura was investigating and that they were waiting for a Tech Bulletin. I had not seen this thread prior to going in and described the sound as a single hard "knock" sound. But the conditions described by others here is exactly what I'm experiencing. So am now working with the Service Mgr to identify the next steps for my 2019 Advanced RDX.
Old 02-12-2021, 10:47 AM
Intermediate

Mine was repaired in Nov and has not made a peep since. The fix is out there for sure.
Old 02-12-2021, 11:43 AM
Racer

Received 98 Likes on 74 Posts
Originally Posted by FrankZZR
Mine was repaired in Nov and has not made a peep since. The fix is out there for sure.
Would you mind posting the service report?
Just to see what the dealer did and replaced
Old 02-12-2021, 12:01 PM
Intermediate

No problem
The following 3 users liked this post by FrankZZR:
jc411 (03-06-2021), JDMaccord3.5 (02-12-2021), subin (02-15-2021)
Old 02-24-2021, 08:35 PM
Intermediate

Curious if anyone tried reaching out to Acura corporate about this? Feels like since the "fix" (replacing sunroof frame) appears to work... I'm curious what it takes for Acura to convert this into a TSB. I'm really worried about having to do the runaround w/ a dealer service department trying to "replicate" the issue. Right now it happens every time I leave my driveway, and when I go over certain kinds of bumps.

Curious if this TSB for the 2019 is related? http://www.urvi.net/forumfiles/SB/B21-003.PDF

Last edited by xandr115; 02-24-2021 at 08:37 PM. Reason: Adding link
Old 02-24-2021, 09:35 PM
Intermediate

That could be. I know that they attempted some sort of fix in mine first which actually made it worse. Then they ordered the parts and replaced the frame. Has not made a peep since.
Old 02-25-2021, 06:08 AM
Advanced

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts
Does the fix involve dropping the entire interior roof liner? My Audi does a pop when backing down the driveway and when the body flexes, but it’s not very loud and I thought it’s Normal due to body flex. The fix is to drop the liner and I opted out. I just haven’t had good experience at dealerships when interior pieces are removed so I would be nervous in this case too.
Old 02-25-2021, 08:50 AM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by vkamnyev
Does the fix involve dropping the entire interior roof liner? My Audi does a pop when backing down the driveway and when the body flexes, but it’s not very loud and I thought it’s Normal due to body flex. The fix is to drop the liner and I opted out. I just haven’t had good experience at dealerships when interior pieces are removed so I would be nervous in this case too.
Yup, they had to drop the entire roof liner. They scratched the shit out of the interior C pillar covers in the process which they replaced a few weeks later. It’s all good now though.
The following 2 users liked this post by FrankZZR:
lionel464 (05-17-2021), vkamnyev (02-25-2021)
Old 04-09-2021, 12:05 AM
Intermediate

This must be really common. Dealer told me the sunroof frame `70100-TJB-A02` was on nationwide backorder. Going on AcuraOEM parts sites, several even show it's been discontinued for sale. On one hand, thankful dealer was able to reproduce the sound... but on the other hand, I now have no idea when there will be an end to the popping madness. Under 1000 miles still too.
Old 04-09-2021, 06:33 AM
Advanced

Received 18 Likes on 10 Posts
Personally, I'm not confident the TSB (replace frame) will solve the problem. My 2019 RDX now has 30,000K. I first heard the pop sound from the sunroof at 3K. Took it to the dealer who initially could not reproduce. So I took them for a drive and showed it to them. They kept the RDX for over a week trying to fix and finally ordered a new frame. When I got it back, the noise was gone. But only for about 3K miles. Then it started again. Been living with it ever since... along with:
  • Ticking noise from the A Pillar (drivers side)
  • Squeaky brakes
  • Groan noise when open/close the tailgate
  • Popping noise from under the hood/driver side tire when going over bumps
I had planned to take it back this month to get all other above looked at. But if there is no Sunroof Frames available, what is the point...
Old 04-09-2021, 11:22 AM
Pro

Received 191 Likes on 138 Posts
Originally Posted by dweilbacher
Personally, I'm not confident the TSB (replace frame) will solve the problem. My 2019 RDX now has 30,000K. I first heard the pop sound from the sunroof at 3K. Took it to the dealer who initially could not reproduce. So I took them for a drive and showed it to them. They kept the RDX for over a week trying to fix and finally ordered a new frame. When I got it back, the noise was gone. But only for about 3K miles. Then it started again. Been living with it ever since... along with:
  • Ticking noise from the A Pillar (drivers side)
  • Squeaky brakes
  • Groan noise when open/close the tailgate
  • Popping noise from under the hood/driver side tire when going over bumps
I had planned to take it back this month to get all other above looked at. But if there is no Sunroof Frames available, what is the point...
Wonder if this happens across all trims. I’ve had a 2019 ASPEC for 2 1/2 years now and none of the above issues.

Quick Reply: Body Flex popping