BMW X3 M40i vs RDX with ktuner/hondata

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2020, 11:11 AM
User Awaiting Email Confirmation

Received 381 Likes on 235 Posts
Originally Posted by 04WDPSeDaN
For argument sake, OP is obtaining a fully loaded 2018 M40i for 37K which is an incredible deal considering the mileage is also low. It's been heavily discussed across many boards, buyers have gotten as high as 20% off MSRP new BMW's and a lot of which are custom ordered ones.
Where are people getting these deals?! Maybe I just suck at haggling. Or maybe it's the area I live in. I was hearing expect ~11% off MSRP unless you have a long history with the dealer or find a dealer smoking crack on an M340i. If I found 20% off a new one, I'd go out today and buy it.
Old 12-06-2020, 01:20 PM
iWhine S/C 6MT TL

Received 2,563 Likes on 1,317 Posts
Originally Posted by fiatlux
I must be missing something, because the K20A in the CTR at the time made less power and less torque than the F20 and F22 in the S2K.
I meant the K20C1 engine.

Originally Posted by leomio85
Where are people getting these deals?! Maybe I just suck at haggling. Or maybe it's the area I live in. I was hearing expect ~11% off MSRP unless you have a long history with the dealer or find a dealer smoking crack on an M340i. If I found 20% off a new one, I'd go out today and buy it.
From what i've gathered from Bearcat and members on bimmerpost, they do get double digits off the MSRP. I don't doubt it either as Mercedes enthusiasts said the same thing.
Old 12-06-2020, 10:49 PM
Intermediate

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts
You don't want to keep a current BMW for 10-15 years.
Old 12-06-2020, 11:12 PM
Intermediate

It's been heavily discussed across many boards, buyers have gotten as high as 20% off MSRP new BMW's and a lot of which are custom ordered ones.
If you believe that, I have some ocean front property in Montana you might be interested in.

Seriously, though, that is complete BS. I've owned 9 BMW's over the past 20 years and there is no way people are getting 20% off MSRP on a new BMW, especially a custom order. They are lying, plain and simple. In fact, if anyone tells you they got more than 5% off, it's due to a combination of incentives that you can only get as a combination of conquest, military, and other incentives.
Old 12-07-2020, 12:05 AM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by russianDude
Once again, M40I is great car that requires bigger budget. And 380HP is nice, let's not make excuses. More expensive maintenance and repairs are all part of having bigger budget set aide for this car. I dont know if we can speak of BMWs being less reliable, it used to be a problem back in the day, I do not think its the case. The more expensive cars use more complex engineering, so obviously more can go wrong than say with Toyota Camry.
I would offer up the fact that BMW has cut CPO benefits almost in half, from 2 years up to 100k miles to now 1 year up to 75k miles. Why? Because the CPO in-warranty repairs were killing them. I've owned a bunch of BMW's and they were WAY more reliable back in the day. The straight 6 from the late 90's/early 2000's was bulletproof. Since then, with the addition of turbos, diesels, and electronic amenities, they have had a litany of design flaws, electrical and mechanical issues. I think they also cut electronics out of their new CPO warranty. Don't get me wrong, I love them. Nothing drives like them. I've owned 9. But I'll never own another one. Cost to maintain past the factory warranty is way too high.
Old 12-07-2020, 12:30 AM
Racer

Received 132 Likes on 83 Posts
Thanks for reassuring me why I didn't bother with german luxury. They're meant to be leased and returned back once the warranty expires.
Old 12-07-2020, 05:49 AM
iWhine S/C 6MT TL

Originally Posted by boyce89976
If you believe that, I have some ocean front property in Montana you might be interested in.

Seriously, though, that is complete BS. I've owned 9 BMW's over the past 20 years and there is no way people are getting 20% off MSRP on a new BMW, especially a custom order. They are lying, plain and simple. In fact, if anyone tells you they got more than 5% off, it's due to a combination of incentives that you can only get as a combination of conquest, military, and other incentives.
I hear you, but I'm going based on what many have said and posted on various forums. I can't imagine that everyone is fabricating numbers. To be clear, not saying every single person got 20% off. A majority get double digits (10-12%) a rare few get higher than that. @BEAR-AvHistory can vouch for his own discounts and verify what I'm saying is true.

https://g05.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1693394
https://g05.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1743607
https://www.bimmerfest.com/threads/b...iating.903253/
https://www.bimmerfest.com/threads/price-paid.1349491/

If you read through these threads, you can see what the average discount % is. I'm not the type of person just to say things to say them. These are things that I've seen posted often in different forums / FB groups. As for myself, I don't purchase new. I always purchased slightly used. We can agree to disagree but nothing is as reliable as the new B series engines BMW's now produces. The older N versions had issues as well as some of their other engines produced. Truth of the matter is, the newer stuff is more reliable. Anyway, not here to derail OP's thread. He made his choice which is an incredible deal with the amount of vehicle he's getting for $37,000 and my unbiased opinion, it's an upgrade from the RDX. I'm just an enthusiast who worked on vehicles for many many years including Acura and I buy what checks the boxes and not brand loyal what so ever. I spend a lot of my time doing research and being active in the car community.
The following users liked this post:
boyce89976 (12-07-2020)
Old 12-07-2020, 06:58 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 704 Likes on 546 Posts
I would offer up the fact that BMW has cut CPO benefits almost in half, from 2 years up to 100k miles to now 1 year up to 75k miles. Why? Because the CPO in-warranty repairs were killing them. I've owned a bunch of BMW's and they were WAY more reliable back in the day. The straight 6 from the late 90's/early 2000's was bulletproof. Since then, with the addition of turbos, diesels, and electronic amenities, they have had a litany of design flaws, electrical and mechanical issues. I think they also cut electronics out of their new CPO warranty. Don't get me wrong, I love them. Nothing drives like them. I've owned 9. But I'll never own another one. Cost to maintain past the factory warranty is way too high.

Exactly. BMWs also depreciate very quickly once original warranty is over. These are expensive cars to maintain and repair. Purchase price is one thing, but also need to account for higher maintenance and repair bills.
If you can afford it alt -- great, its an excellent car. For me personally, its outside of my budget. But I would not judge someone who can afford it.
boyce89976 (12-07-2020)
Old 12-07-2020, 12:29 PM
Intermediate

I hear you, but I'm going based on what many have said and posted on various forums. I can't imagine that everyone is fabricating numbers. To be clear, not saying every single person got 20% off. A majority get double digits (10-12%) a rare few get higher than that. @BEAR-AvHistory can vouch for his own discounts and verify what I'm saying is true.

https://g05.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1693394
https://g05.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1743607
https://www.bimmerfest.com/threads/b...iating.903253/
https://www.bimmerfest.com/threads/price-paid.1349491/

If you read through these threads, you can see what the average discount % is. I'm not the type of person just to say things to say them. These are things that I've seen posted often in different forums / FB groups. As for myself, I don't purchase new. I always purchased slightly used. We can agree to disagree but nothing is as reliable as the new B series engines BMW's now produces. The older N versions had issues as well as some of their other engines produced. Truth of the matter is, the newer stuff is more reliable. Anyway, not here to derail OP's thread. He made his choice which is an incredible deal with the amount of vehicle he's getting for $37,000 and my unbiased opinion, it's an upgrade from the RDX. I'm just an enthusiast who worked on vehicles for many many years including Acura and I buy what checks the boxes and not brand loyal what so ever. I spend a lot of my time doing research and being active in the car community.
Fair enough. I think those threads have a certain amount of "mine is bigger than yours" mentality. I know my local BMW dealer will never go above 8% discount off MSRP and that's with factory incentives. I know it varies based on location and competition, but I still have a hard time believing anyone that says they go 20% off a custom order. I can't think of a reason BMW would do that.
04WDPSeDaN (12-07-2020)
Old 12-07-2020, 03:27 PM
iWhine S/C 6MT TL

Fair enough. I think those threads have a certain amount of "mine is bigger than yours" mentality. I know my local BMW dealer will never go above 8% discount off MSRP and that's with factory incentives. I know it varies based on location and competition, but I still have a hard time believing anyone that says they go 20% off a custom order. I can't think of a reason BMW would do that.

I fully agree, I've noticed that a lot with them. I've seen a few say they got 17-18% off, needless to say, It's not my business to question someone else's deal. As I've always said, what someone else does with their money, or the deals they make, is up to them.
Old 12-07-2020, 04:29 PM
Drifting

Received 1,026 Likes on 716 Posts
Originally Posted by russianDude
Exactly. BMWs also depreciate very quickly once original warranty is over. These are expensive cars to maintain and repair. Purchase price is one thing, but also need to account for higher maintenance and repair bills.
If you can afford it alt -- great, its an excellent car. For me personally, its outside of my budget. But I would not judge someone who can afford it.
I didn’t buy mine until I was sure I could afford to buy it and to maintain it.

I got 12 years and 120K+ miles out of mine, and it performed as well at 120k miles as it did at 10K.

But that did cost. It got way outmoded before it stopped performing.