BG 44k fuel cleaner

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2021 | 08:09 AM
Suzuka Master

BG 44k fuel cleaner

Any thoughts on running BG 44k fuel system cleaner in RDX every 15k miles
or so? Its sometimes recommended by Honda dealers, and someone just posted fuel injector cleaner recommendation in service manual for Canadian RDX.
From what I read BG 44k is professional grade stuff, but more expensive than techron.

Last edited by russianDude; 12-06-2021 at 08:17 AM.
Old 12-06-2021 | 09:55 AM
Advanced

I use it in my A4 and will use on the RDX as well when the odo hits 15k. I don’t think it hurts anything
Old 12-07-2021 | 01:49 PM
Instructor

Think dealers recommend it as an ……..UPSELL………PROFIT center.
Way more than TECHRON especially if you buy TECHRON at Costco in the 6 pack.

Amazon has BG44 at $25 per can. Years back BG really controlled their products to “make them more professional”.
The following users liked this post:
hans471 (12-07-2021)
Old 12-07-2021 | 03:06 PM
Latent car nut

l'huile de serpent
Old 12-07-2021 | 04:14 PM
Instructor

I just dump a bottle of Techron complete fuel system cleaner every few thousands miles and call it a day. I also occasionally put in a few ounces of Lucas fuel saver. I bought a gallon of it at Walmart and transfer it to a 4 oz bottle. The professional grade is more concentrated.
Old 12-07-2021 | 08:33 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by ToniRDX19
I just dump a bottle of Techron complete fuel system cleaner every few thousands miles and call it a day. I also occasionally put in a few ounces of Lucas fuel saver. I bought a gallon of it at Walmart and transfer it to a 4 oz bottle. The professional grade is more concentrated.
yep, I will probably use Techron next time. For a price of one BG 44k, I can get 4 techrons… I doubt BG 44k is 4 times better.
I was also reading that GDI engines might need injector cleaner more than previous generation (non GDI).
so probably a good idea to run once in a while
Old 12-08-2021 | 03:36 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by russianDude
yep, I will probably use Techron next time. For a price of one BG 44k, I can get 4 techrons… I doubt BG 44k is 4 times better.
I was also reading that GDI engines might need injector cleaner more than previous generation (non GDI).
so probably a good idea to run once in a while
There's two kinds of Techron. Make sure you get the Complete Fuel System Cleaner.
I've used many different cleaners, I don't notice a difference but I still do it anyway. I like Techron, Gumout Regane, Redline Cleaner and BG44k.
Old 12-08-2021 | 03:58 PM
Latent car nut

Folks, modern fuels do not require any additives, period, full stop, the end. Using Techron, BG 44, or any of the other products on the market will simply clean out your wallet and provide zero benefit to your car's fuel system or engine.
Waetherman (12-08-2021)
Old 12-08-2021 | 06:59 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by horseshoez
Folks, modern fuels do not require any additives, period, full stop, the end. Using Techron, BG 44, or any of the other products on the market will simply clean out your wallet and provide zero benefit to your car's fuel system or engine.
I would agree on pre GDI engines, but not so sure with GDI and using gas of questionable quality. From reading, it seems there is more benefit for GDI engines, but its all grey area.
Old 12-09-2021 | 12:04 AM
Racer

Most car makers recommend that for best results you should always use a high quality "Top Tier" fuel. I live in Louisville, KY and ALL the gasoline sold in this city comes from one source down at the river. It comes to all the stations in a generic truck. The fuel companies claim they put in their additive packages when the fuel is put in the truck. Flip a coin on that one.
Fuel additives don't hurt, unless they do. All have powerful chemicals in them and too much of a good thing can start to damage parts. I have seen people use these fuel cleaners full strength on parts that were very dirty only to have the metal actually dissolve after soaking all night. Of course in your fuel tank they are diluted. If you feel you need to use this stuff use it sparingly. Wait until your tank is nearly empty then add the proper amount (and a little extra is not good!) then fill up the tank so its well dissolved. Don't over do it.

As for BG products, I remember the salesmen coming in and making a big deal about how much extra profit the parts department could make putting it in people's cars. It was all about the $$$$. Not saying it works or not or is needed or not but their pitch was always about extra money.
JB in AZ (12-16-2021)
Old 12-09-2021 | 06:48 PM
Instructor

Most fuel and oil additives are much better at cleaning your wallet vs engine or fuel components.
JB in AZ (12-16-2021)
Old 12-09-2021 | 07:53 PM
Latent car nut

I would agree on pre GDI engines, but not so sure with GDI and using gas of questionable quality. From reading, it seems there is more benefit for GDI engines, but its all grey area.
I call such assertions "urban legend". Why? Lots of folks want to believe fuel additives will clean the intake valve faces which are susceptible to being, for lack of a better term, "gunked" up. Here's the thing; with few exceptions (thinking some Toyota engines which feature injectors for both the combustion chamber AND the intake port), fuel, additive laden or not, NEVER comes into contact with the valve face, so you can dump as high a percentage of additives as you want, it won't do diddly-squat to clean the intake valves.
The following 2 users liked this post by horseshoez:
hans471 (12-09-2021), JB in AZ (12-16-2021)
Old 12-09-2021 | 11:46 PM
Racer

Yes I think that's what most of us believe but did you see the maintenance chart posted in this maintenance minder thread? The recommendation for fuel injector cleaner is what has got us wondering.
It's the chart I quoted in post #10.

​​​​​​https://acurazine.com/forums/third-g...minder-997015/
Old 12-10-2021 | 06:35 AM
Suzuka Master

It used to be that Honda/Acura was not recommending fuel clean service, which was written in the manuals.
I scanned RDX manual, and this language is not there. They do however recommend Top Tier gas “ to avoid build-up of deposits”.
This is interesting as not everyone has access to Top Tier gas that is conveniently located.
if you use gas of questionable quality, nothing wrong with running good injector cleaner.

Old 12-10-2021 | 07:24 AM
Latent car nut

It used to be that Honda/Acura was not recommending fuel clean service, which was written in the manuals.
I scanned RDX manual, and this language is not there. They do however recommend Top Tier gas “ to avoid build-up of deposits”.
This is interesting as not everyone has access to Top Tier gas that is conveniently located.
if you use gas of questionable quality, nothing wrong with running good injector cleaner.
The only thing wrong is it will drain your wallet; running fuel additives will not provide any benefit for your engine. The fact is, the "Top Tier" label is a marketing ploy and nothing else.
The following 2 users liked this post by horseshoez:
leomio2.0 (12-10-2021), markAZ (12-10-2021)
Old 12-10-2021 | 09:21 AM
Suzuka Master

The only thing wrong is it will drain your wallet; running fuel additives will not provide any benefit for your engine. The fact is, the "Top Tier" label is a marketing ploy and nothing else.
sorry, but I disagree. This is not black and white, fuel system cleaners have their limited use benefits.
They do have their limits of what they can and can not do, and they are not for everyone and also depend on many factors.

Top tier gas is all marketing gimmick? What is your source for this info?

Last edited by russianDude; 12-10-2021 at 09:27 AM.
Old 12-10-2021 | 10:21 AM
Latent car nut

sorry, but I disagree. This is not black and white, fuel system cleaners have their limited use benefits.
They do have their limits of what they can and can not do, and they are not for everyone and also depend on many factors.

Top tier gas is all marketing gimmick? What is your source for this info?
Please name one verified benefit of using fuel additives.

As for a marketing gimmick; when Top Tier first hit the market, circa 2004(ish) I contacted several major fuel brands which were considered non-Top Tier (Exxon Mobile for example), and got similar response from all of them, "All of our gasoline fuels meet or exceed the Top Tier fuel requirements, however, we will not be licensing our fuels to be able to display Top Tier logo." With the above said, apparently the Top Tier marketing was so successful, literally every brand I contacted back then is now a subscriber to Top Tier; long story short, they caved.
Old 12-10-2021 | 11:39 AM
Suzuka Master

We talking specifically about fuel system cleaners. The benefits are that they clean carbon deposits.
Its documented and also on youtube people compare cylinders heads before and after, also improved fuel economy was reported.
like I said before, it has its limits, and dont expect that one treatment will do magic. We have a lot of crappy gas stations like US gas and Global, that sell god knows what. Yeah, it has minimum government required stuff, but that might not be enough.
Old 12-10-2021 | 01:13 PM
Latent car nut

We talking specifically about fuel system cleaners. The benefits are that they clean carbon deposits.
Its documented and also on youtube people compare cylinders heads before and after, also improved fuel economy was reported.
like I said before, it has its limits, and dont expect that one treatment will do magic. We have a lot of crappy gas stations like US gas and Global, that sell god knows what. Yeah, it has minimum government required stuff, but that might not be enough.
Here's the thing, anecdotal evidence like you're presenting doesn't prove anything. Over the years I've seen many worthless anecdotal evidence based assertions where folks seriously claim adding acetone, turpentine, and/or castor oil (or other elixir of choice) to their fuel resulted in dramatic and measurable fuel economy gains; I expect if you were to read such claims you'd dismiss them out of hand, and yet you hold on to the unproven claims of fuel additives. Why?
Old 12-10-2021 | 01:20 PM
Suzuka Master

Here's the thing, anecdotal evidence like you're presenting doesn't prove anything. Over the years I've seen many worthless anecdotal evidence based assertions where folks seriously claim adding acetone, turpentine, and/or castor oil (or other elixir of choice) to their fuel resulted in dramatic and measurable fuel economy gains; I expect if you were to read such claims you'd dismiss them out of hand, and yet you hold on to the unproven claims of fuel additives. Why?
no, not anecdotal evidence, people do testing and compare how much carbon was cleaned before and after, pictures of pistons heads. From my reading and watching project farm videos, fuel system cleaners do work, some better than others. If you dont believe it, its your choice.
Old 12-10-2021 | 09:32 PM
Instructor

There are 75 years of miracles in can………claiming all sorts of benefits like increase power, 10-30 MPG increase, cleaning any and all parts of the engine,
Maybe magnets on the fuel line, moth balls in the tank, remember STP, Wynns, GUMOUT, some names still sold today.

Some of the all time favorites while these promise magic in the engine….over the years there 100’s promising fuel magic as well.

The following 3 users liked this post by Showkey:
GW208 (12-10-2021), horseshoez (12-11-2021), NooYawkuh (12-11-2021)
Old 12-10-2021 | 09:49 PM
EFR
Burning Brakes

Drop those 'pellets' in the spark plug hole??? What in the world was in those pellets? LOL
Old 12-11-2021 | 07:58 AM
Latent car nut

no, not anecdotal evidence, people do testing and compare how much carbon was cleaned before and after, pictures of pistons heads. From my reading and watching project farm videos, fuel system cleaners do work, some better than others. If you dont believe it, its your choice.
What you are describing are classic examples of anecdotal evidence. In other words, totally irrelevant.
Old 12-11-2021 | 08:05 AM
Suzuka Master

What you are describing are classic examples of anecdotal evidence. In other words, totally irrelevant.
OK, I will listen to you instead.
Old 12-11-2021 | 08:41 AM
Latent car nut

OK, I will listen to you instead.
I'm not advocating that, I'm just some schmuck on the internet; what I would strongly recommend is for you to do some research using resources which are vetted and up to date as possible. Start with the databases on sae.org and go from there.
Old 12-15-2021 | 07:14 AM
Instructor

Another modern day more power more MPG a quick fix……….spoiler alert it did not work. Water injection and other variations have been around for 50 years.

horseshoez (12-15-2021)
Old 12-15-2021 | 08:29 AM
Suzuka Master

Except I spent enough time researching fuel system cleaners and came to conclusion that they do work with some limited success. There is plenty of information from independent sources that confirm it. None of them claim it will do wonders, but does show some marginal improvement to clean carbon buildup. To each his own, if you have something against fuel cleaners, its fine with me, this thread was specifically for BG 44k, but it quickly turned into questioning all fuel cleaners, this is really not the purpose of this thread.

Last edited by russianDude; 12-15-2021 at 08:43 AM.