Auto Stop stopped working

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2020, 07:06 PM
Advanced

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Auto Stop stopped working

I know this would make many happy but the Auto Stop functions seems to be sporadically working. I normally turn it off but didn’t the other day and noticed it wasn’t working. After pressing the on/off switch a few times it started working again later during my drive. Well today it happened again. Didn’t turn the system off and it just wouldn’t work. I don’t like this feature but kinda makes me wonder what is broken. Happen to anyone?
Old 08-17-2020, 07:22 PM
Drifting

Received 117 Likes on 99 Posts
Originally Posted by jackson5
I know this would make many happy but the Auto Stop functions seems to be sporadically working. I normally turn it off but didn’t the other day and noticed it wasn’t working. After pressing the on/off switch a few times it started working again later during my drive. Well today it happened again. Didn’t turn the system off and it just wouldn’t work. I don’t like this feature but kinda makes me wonder what is broken. Happen to anyone?
There are times where the function does not operate. It say's so in the centre display "this function is not operational". It is usually when the AC is being heavily used or the seat heaters are being used.
Old 08-17-2020, 07:45 PM
Pro

Received 196 Likes on 124 Posts
The owners manual lists all the parameters for Auto Stop to function properly and there are numerous threads that have been started on this topic. Use the search function and check them out. A lot of good info in them.
Old 08-17-2020, 07:55 PM
Advanced

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Yeah I read all the parameters. Just normal driving, no climate control in use etc. None of the other parameters apply
Old 08-17-2020, 08:37 PM
Drifting

Received 803 Likes on 528 Posts
Yeah I read all the parameters. Just normal driving, no climate control in use etc. None of the other parameters apply
Then in, my humble opinion, the battery state of charge is likely the issue.
The following users liked this post:
Fishaay (08-19-2020)
Old 08-17-2020, 08:42 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 704 Likes on 546 Posts
Most likely you have not been driving your car for a while, or been taking short trips and your battery is not fully charged. Dont worry it will come back, and then you'd be wishing it was not working.
Old 08-17-2020, 09:32 PM
2020 RDX, Advance, AWD

Received 147 Likes on 119 Posts
As suggested, search for references to AIS and auto stop. We've kicked this around pretty well.

This system has quirks that cause it to temporarily stop working, and as suggested, it's often the battery charge state that interrupts the system. (other than the conditions in the OM)

Unless you truly have a bug, it's likely battery related.
Old 08-18-2020, 08:30 AM
Retired Geezer

Received 128 Likes on 84 Posts
With deft braking input it is possible to defeat auto stop. Slow and gentle braking seems to confuse the system. Works about 2/3 of the time for me.
Old 08-18-2020, 04:47 PM
Retired Geezer

While driving today I realized that at 70 degree a/c setting auto stop works while at 63 it won’t.
Old 08-18-2020, 04:53 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by 4th Acura
While driving today I realized that at 70 degree a/c setting auto stop works while at 63 it won’t.
And, the reason for that is the computer wants to keep the engine from stopping at a traffic light, so the AC can try to cool the interior of the car to the requested temperature. It is actually a smart system...If you set the inside temp to LO, or HI is will not engage AIS either. I don't mind AIS so I set mine to 58 when I am trying to get the car as cool as possible as quickly as possible.
Old 08-18-2020, 08:51 PM
Skeptic

Received 427 Likes on 283 Posts
I don't understand why so many people have such a huge problem with pressing a button that couldn't be more conveniently located to disable it. Some cars don't even have the option.
Old 08-18-2020, 08:55 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by NooYawkuh
I don't understand why so many people have such a huge problem with pressing a button that couldn't be more conveniently located to disable it. Some cars don't even have the option.
because sometimes I forget, and when car shuts down, I have a momentary confusion. I like predictability.
Old 08-18-2020, 08:56 PM
Drifting

Totally agree! And AIS doesn't bother me. If it did...push...done.
Old 08-18-2020, 09:05 PM
Advanced

Received 22 Likes on 16 Posts
I'm one of the few who actually enjoys the start stop feature, trying to time my stops to get max efficiency at stop lights or traffic. For me when my start stop didnt work I thought it was the battery as well however I tried some hood reset procedure that was posted in a previous thread and its been working ever since. I cant recall the exact steps but it involved opening and closing the hood while the car is running. I believe the issue was that it was bugged following bringing it into service where the techs open the hood while the car is running, so the start stop system thinks the hood is open even though it didnt display hood open in the MID.
Old 08-19-2020, 08:09 AM
Banned

Received 225 Likes on 161 Posts
Because we shouldn't have to press the button. Nobody asked for it and nobody wanted it. It was put in because car manufacturers had to meet a completely arbitrary demand by lawmakers to meet fleet emissions standards that don't do anything and which no consumer actually pays attention to. If, instead, they put in the feature and you had to "opt in" by activating it every time you wanted to drive your car, that would be much more reasonable (although it would remain equally idiotic). The reason it's made this way is because "certain people" know that if they force everyone to use it, over time, they will convert everyone into acceptance of their stupidity and then they can claim that everyone "changed their minds," which is how it's always done. Social engineers are incapable of persuasion, only of methodically grinding you under the heel of a jackboot over long periods of time because they're not very smart and that's all they know how to do.
Old 08-19-2020, 08:11 AM
Banned

Oh, and if anyone takes issue with me stating that fleet emissions standards are arbitrary, it would be the same as if Congress just said "guess what, we decided that everyone has to lose 30 pounds by next year or we'll fine you." And then they said "now that we decided that, it's up to you to figure out how to do it." And then, at a later date, after people did that, they just congratulate themselves and say "next year, we'll mandate you lose another 20 pounds. SMART."
Old 08-19-2020, 10:50 AM
Drifting

Originally Posted by DriverOne
Because we shouldn't have to press the button....
Well, If you are REALLY 100 years old, then you would remember in the 70s when the US government mandated that seat/shoulder belts need to be buckled before the car could start. It was a real pain in the ass, especially for the auto shops/dealers/car washes etc, when they just want to move vehicles a short distance. People were buckling their belts under their butts etc. It was eventually revised, and dealers were allowed to disable the circuitry that disallowed the starter motor from engaging if the seat belt wasn't buckled. The argument at the time was "why should I wear a seat belt?...it is my choice if I die in a car crash, or have serious injuries". The counter argument was if you are seriously injured in a car crash, and have no medical insurance, it becomes a social burden financially to pay for your medical care. If you DO have insurance, then you have contributed to the overall cost to the medical insurance companies, and that, in turn, causes an overall increase of everyone's medical insurance costs.

Do you wear your seat belts? Why?

With all that said, as long as they provide a way to easily disable the AIS what is the problem? And why do people really hate AIS? I truly couldn't care less, about AIS. Yes, it sometimes seems it could be a little more smooth when starting. If one has to be half way across the crosswalk when the light turns green, then push the button. If one wants to use Sport+ mode, you have to turn the knob, which is not as easy as pushing the button.

I am not in favor of over regulation by government, but truly believe that we would not have the safe or economical cars we do today, if government hadn't set some regulations forcing manufacturers to improve cars along the way. However there is a point when they become over the top. What is that point?

AND I truly apologize for the pseudo political comments, as I would much rather discuss cars than politics.
The following 2 users liked this post by JB in AZ:
DJA123 (08-19-2020), MT-RDX (08-19-2020)
Old 08-19-2020, 11:02 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by JB in AZ
The argument at the time was "why should I wear a seat belt?...it is my choice if I die in a car crash, or have serious injuries". The counter argument was if you are seriously injured in a car crash, and have no medical insurance, it becomes a social burden financially to pay for your medical care.
Sure, but while that's a true statement, all that proves is that people in our society like to have it both ways. They like to have the freedom to make their own choices and they simultaneously demand total safety. But that's not my fault. If you left it up to me, I would say don't wear a seatbelt if you don't want to and then you can die if you get seriously injured and don't have insurance. That's actually how insurance works: you either have it or you don't and if you don't, you don't get the benefits of having it. But like I said, that last part is, for some reason, completely triggering to the majority of our population today.

Seatbelts are an example of what I said. Nobody could convince people in a logical and reasoned manner to wear them, so they just said "oh, well, we'll just mandate it and fine you and remove your ability to drive, how's that?" OK, that accomplishes their goal, but all I'm saying is that means that they're ultimate retards because they're admitting their position was so weak that they couldn't persuade anyone to go along with it. If you made auto-stop "opt in" instead of "opt out," guess how many people would opt in? Almost nobody. Everyone knows this.
Old 08-19-2020, 12:26 PM
Retired Geezer

You can toggle auto stop on or off in the system settings in my wife’s 2016 MDX. One thing I’ve noticed In my life in the modern world is that government regulations are ever becoming more detailed and restrictive. Having said that I don’t find auto stop a big deal and don’t mind it. Occasionally I get a deja vu flashback to my 1980s car stalling when you took your foot off the gas.
Old 08-19-2020, 04:13 PM
2020 RDX, Advance, AWD

Received 147 Likes on 119 Posts
Originally Posted by 4th Acura
You can toggle auto stop on or off in the system settings in my wife’s 2016 MDX. One thing I’ve noticed In my life in the modern world is that government regulations are ever becoming more detailed and restrictive. Having said that I don’t find auto stop a big deal and don’t mind it. Occasionally I get a deja vu flashback to my 1980s car stalling when you took your foot off the gas.
It's my understanding that the manufacturer gets more energy efficiency credits if the system can't be permanently disabled. Honda may be mining credits.

Old GM Rochester carbs taught me two foot driving. Right foot keeping the rpm up to avoid stalling and the left foot controlling forward motion. The good old days.

Now we complain about the computer reliably stopping/starting a direct injected, turbocharged engine to save a little gas.

Everything is relative.
Old 08-21-2020, 04:04 PM
Racer

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts
Originally Posted by russianDude
Most likely you have not been driving your car for a while, or been taking short trips and your battery is not fully charged. Dont worry it will come back, and then you'd be wishing it was not working.

If someone were to continue this type of driving it would have long term affects for battery life yes?

My normal commute to work is 3 miles one way, and I don't usually go anywhere on my day off, I occasionally visit my family,110 miles round trip, but that's about once a month.

Old 08-21-2020, 05:13 PM
Drifting

Received 1,026 Likes on 716 Posts
Originally Posted by AZ4035
I'm one of the few who actually enjoys the start stop feature, trying to time my stops to get max efficiency at stop lights or traffic. .....
you need to get out more.

Originally Posted by lil12002
If someone were to continue this type of driving it would have long term affects for battery life yes?

My normal commute to work is 3 miles one way, and I don't usually go anywhere on my day off, I occasionally visit my family,110 miles round trip, but that's about once a month.

​​​​​​​you too.
The following 2 users liked this post by Madd Dog:
DJA123 (08-21-2020), Jfkmk (11-18-2020)
Old 08-21-2020, 06:38 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by lil12002

yes, if battery is constantly under-charged it will wear out faster and you will need new battery sooner
Old 11-17-2020, 07:54 AM
Racer

Received 123 Likes on 86 Posts
I know this thread is a few months old, but wanted to confirm what some above suggested that the battery state affects the idle stop. My idle stop hasn’t worked very often for months. My battery died a week ago and was replaced by my dealer. Now the idle stop is consistently working at every stop, even last night with both seat heaters on high. So the lack of idle stop functioning my be an early warning of battery failure.
Old 11-17-2020, 09:20 AM
Racer

Received 46 Likes on 34 Posts
When we went to Canada this summer (Dual citizens) they made us adhere to a strict quarantine for two weeks. The car started fine after two weeks but Autostop didn't work for a couple of days and was rejuvenated after a 20-mile country run. I quite like the Autostop but my wife continues to be spooked by the very mild shudder when the car restarts.
Old 11-17-2020, 10:04 AM
Drifting

I've mentioned before that I don't mind the AIS, and I understand its underlying purpose. I do have a slight dislike for the shudder on restart. Our 2020 CR-V has less shudder, and at least one of the competition I test drove before deciding on the RDX had much less obvious shudder. I don't understand why. All the vehicles are 4 cyl Turbos. The CR-V has a CVT, and the "other" vehicles I test drove had "traditional" geared transmissions.

Anyone have any comments on this? (and please don't say push the button, or buy one of these devices that disables it permanently.)
Old 11-17-2020, 03:50 PM
Advanced

Received 15 Likes on 8 Posts
I drive around 90% with the defrost button on and a/c button off. AIS is disabled even after you stop ad restart the vehicle. Even the next day.
Old 11-17-2020, 06:29 PM
PCR
5th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I just said: "F it". Ordered an Idlestopper for $80. Will install it when it gets here.
Problem (for me) solved.