Anyone tint the panoramic sunroof?

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2020 | 09:46 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by leomio85
Only speaking the truth. MANY others do have the same opinion.

Certainly could be. Perhaps you are just more vocal about it. Which certainly is your right.

I used to be a Toyota loyalist. I stopped being a brand loyalist about 8 or 9 years ago. Toyota never did me wrong, I just got tired of the bland, I think. I now buy what I think is the best choice for me after evaluating all options within my criteria. This goes for any product I buy. I bought the RDX because I was ready for an "upscale" (or fill in any of a number of other word choices here) SUV. I had been very happy with our '18 CR-V and this seemed like a natural progression. I shopped and test drove many alternatives, and yet, kept coming back to the RDX. I was not at all impressed with the Lexus RX, even though it had been on my radar for several years. After almost 2 years and 22,000+ miles, I have no regrets. Yes, my '19 has had a few TSBs but all have resolved an issue, and some resolved issues unknown to me. I have one FAINT rattle in the driver's A pillar, about 20% of the time. I will have this addressed at my next dealer visit.

One of my biggest disappointments is my Acura dealer, and it is the only one around. I had hoped for better.

I have grown ambivalent about the true touch pad. Every time I drive my wife's 2020 CR-V Touring, I think how much more convenient the touch screen is (perhaps because it is so familiar with all previous cars I have owned and smart phones using this technology), even though I have no issues using the touch pad.

The seats are the most comfortable and adjustable I have even experienced in a vehicle. The audio system is also awesome.

After waiting for what seemed like an eternity for it, I had an issue with Android Auto that was finally resolved by a better cable. Shame on me for denying that was the issue.

The handling and performance of the RDX is more than I really need, but boy, is it fun when I feel like using them.

I can afford almost any car I want, yet I chose the RDX...and in the next 2 years or so, I will again be test driving and evaluating my options to replace it.

I am sorry that you are unhappy with your RDX purchase. If I was as unhappy as you seem, I would trade the vehicle in, take my lumps, and be done with it. I have done this before. I don't think I have bad mouthed a brand or model...as not everyone has the same experiences or expectations.
Old 10-13-2020 | 10:48 PM
Racer

For someone so vocal spamming everyday in all the Acurazine subforums and knowing what he knows.

How the fuck did this lemonade guy end up in a "polished turd Honda"

Old 10-13-2020 | 11:14 PM
User Awaiting Email Confirmation

Originally Posted by Ludepower
For someone so vocal spamming everyday in all the Acurazine subforums and knowing what he knows.

How the fuck did this lemonade guy end up in a "polished turd Honda"
Because one can predict future outcomes of purchases? The reason I harp on shit interior build quality is because it rests solely on the poor build quality of the manufacturer. People who have mechanical failures and blame the manufacturer I take with the grain of salt, having been on the service side of the industry and seeing just how poorly people actually "maintain" their vehicles. Honda's auto transmission failures? Yea, they sucked at building them, but the people who complained about them also never once changed their automatic transmission fluid. Even after Honda replaced them on their dime, they still wouldn't come in for regular servicing, minus the first one ... maybe. How do you defend interior rattles aside from abhorrent, absolute shit quality control from a vehicle that's a year old, 11k miles on the clock and garage kept?

First, and likely last Acura ... with the stipulation of getting a deep discount knowing well that these things aren't worth what they're asking for them. Lesson learned. Hopefully prospective buyers see these and make their own judgments.
Old 10-14-2020 | 08:33 AM
Racer

Because one can predict future outcomes of purchases?
Seems like your already predicting the new TLX future and mocking a 2 week old car.

You're well versed in the automotive industry and knowing how Honda/Acura has been stagnant/declining..what made you take the leap of faith buying a polished turd RDX?

First, and likely last Acura ... with the stipulation of getting a deep discount knowing well that these things aren't worth what they're asking for them. Lesson learned. Hopefully prospective buyers see these and make their own judgments.
You're in the minority of disgruntled owners. People are still buying the RDX. Its outselling the Audi S5, Lexus NX, MB GLC and losing only to the BMW X3.

Luckily the RDX has good resale value so you wouldn't take a massive depreciation hit compared to german/american counterparts. Your happiness is worth more than waking up bitter everyday.

Last edited by Ludepower; 10-14-2020 at 08:44 AM.
The following users liked this post:
JB in AZ (10-14-2020)
Old 10-14-2020 | 10:50 AM
Banned

How do you defend interior rattles aside from abhorrent, absolute shit quality control from a vehicle that's a year old, 11k miles on the clock and garage kept?
I'm not experiencing interior rattles, but I guess if you are then that would be irritating. As much as I think it's retarded when a forum dog-piles on a poster, however, I would say that the problem I have with you is:

1) When you say that Honda is "known" for rattle-y interiors, I'm not aware of that. I deliberately began my shopping experience with Acura because I owned a Honda and had a good experience and was looking at their "premium" cars in Acura. My personal knowledge of Honda's reputation is that their cars are reliable, popular, and inexpensive. Most people I run into have owned a Honda and everyone agrees that you can just drive them for hundreds of thousands of miles without a problem.

2) Your problem with the RDX may be interior rattles, but it has made you extremely bitter. You post on most threads in here and always negatively about the car, so you come off as one of these vindictive reviewers. Like "I didn't get extra ketchup when I asked for it, so now I'm going to spend the next year telling everyone that when I ate there I got food poisoning, the waitress ignored me, the soup had a cockroach in it, and they dropped food on the floor and still served it." If your issue is the interior rattles, by all means talk about the interior rattles. But what does Acura build quality have to do with a question of whether to tint the sunroof?

I've said it before, I came to this forum, even though I never talk about cars and am not a car guy, solely because I was so excited about this car that I wanted to talk to other people about it. I have no idea what I wanted to talk about, but I was like "I wonder what other people are talking about with their RDX!" That's how happy I was with the car. Then I got here and this forum just beat me down because 98% of the threads are about how bad the RDX was and I was like "I don't want to hang around these people, they're depressing." I love this car. The biggest problem I have with it is the lag when I come to a stop sign. Other than that, any complaints I have are minor and only actually exist if I'm sitting around actively trying to brainstorm about what I could improve and trying to nit-pick. As other people have said, if you or others really hate this car, sell it and move on.
The following 3 users liked this post by DriverOne:
JB in AZ (10-14-2020), Ludepower (10-14-2020), MT-RDX (10-14-2020)
Old 10-14-2020 | 12:05 PM

Originally Posted by Ludepower
Seems like your already predicting the new TLX future and mocking a 2 week old car.

You're well versed in the automotive industry and knowing how Honda/Acura has been stagnant/declining..what made you take the leap of faith buying a polished turd RDX?
I'm mocking Acura's advertising of the TLX as a "performance" sedan. I mock my own A-Spec when people say "it must be fast" and tell them it's a grocery-getter for geriatrics, but it does look nice and is made to look a lot faster than it is. It gets stomped by all of its competition, even the non-performance variants. Looks wise though, I think it looks better than anything out there, minus maybe an SQ5. But, to this point, I was very apprehensive of buying European. Working on my own cars, I've been a fan of Honda, despite their flaws. As many on here, a natural progression was Acura. My expectations were higher, seeing as a CR-V could be had for nearly $15k less even for the top trim, but I wanted the bigger, faster engine while the wifey couldn't have cared less. The 3G ticked most of the boxes. If we were in the market a couple years prior, Acura wouldn't have been a thought with the offerings it had.

Luckily the RDX has good resale value so you wouldn't take a massive depreciation hit compared to german/american counterparts. Your happiness is worth more than waking up bitter everyday.
After my experience with Acura, I'll surely be looking harder at the Germans. Acura's premium price tag over Honda isn't worth it without deep discounts. I'd get the 2.0T Accord over the TLX without a blink. People talk about how they need AWD for inclement weather but drive around with shitty Chinese brand all-seasons down to the wear bars. As for handling, it does better on the skidpad than the TLX thanks to its substantial weight advantage.

As for depreciation and trading it in, since buying the car, I've taken a career change with a sizable pay decrease for better quality of life and commute. Long run it'll pay off with a much higher salary, but in the meantime, finances are tight. This is why I put buying a car for myself on hold for at least the next 2-3yrs. In that time, if the Type-S doesn't have sizable incentives, it'll be quickly crossed off the list.
Old 10-14-2020 | 12:12 PM

Originally Posted by DriverOne
2) Your problem with the RDX may be interior rattles, but it has made you extremely bitter. You post on most threads in here and always negatively about the car, so you come off as one of these vindictive reviewers. Like "I didn't get extra ketchup when I asked for it, so now I'm going to spend the next year telling everyone that when I ate there I got food poisoning, the waitress ignored me, the soup had a cockroach in it, and they dropped food on the floor and still served it." If your issue is the interior rattles, by all means talk about the interior rattles. But what does Acura build quality have to do with a question of whether to tint the sunroof?
Because the sunroof is a point of rattle and noise complaints from numerous people, myself included. But I'm overblowing an actual issue? And there's been reports of the sunroof exploding, and my response was, "do it, since Acura's not going to warranty it anyways." As has already been reported by people having the issue. But that's the equivalent of making up issues to be spiteful? Interior rattles rest solely on quality control and the build quality by the manufacturer. Honda had a class action lawsuit about the shit quality windows they were using. But I'll leave the fragile egos to rest for ever talking ill of their beloved cars.
Old 10-14-2020 | 12:31 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by DriverOne
I'm not experiencing interior rattles, but I guess if you are then that would be irritating. As much as I think it's retarded when a forum dog-piles on a poster, however, I would say that the problem I have with you is:

1) When you say that Honda is "known" for rattle-y interiors, I'm not aware of that. I deliberately began my shopping experience with Acura because I owned a Honda and had a good experience and was looking at their "premium" cars in Acura. My personal knowledge of Honda's reputation is that their cars are reliable, popular, and inexpensive. Most people I run into have owned a Honda and everyone agrees that you can just drive them for hundreds of thousands of miles without a problem.

I've said it before, I came to this forum, even though I never talk about cars and am not a car guy, solely because I was so excited about this car that I wanted to talk to other people about it. I have no idea what I wanted to talk about, but I was like "I wonder what other people are talking about with their RDX!" That's how happy I was with the car. Then I got here and this forum just beat me down because 98% of the threads are about how bad the RDX was and I was like "I don't want to hang around these people, they're depressing." I love this car. The biggest problem I have with it is the lag when I come to a stop sign. Other than that, any complaints I have are minor and only actually exist if I'm sitting around actively trying to brainstorm about what I could improve and trying to nit-pick. As other people have said, if you or others really hate this car, sell it and move on.
Because the sunroof is a point of rattle and noise complaints from numerous people, myself included. But I'm overblowing an actual issue? And there's been reports of the sunroof exploding, and my response was, "do it, since Acura's not going to warranty it anyways." As has already been reported by people having the issue. But that's the equivalent of making up issues to be spiteful? Interior rattles rest solely on quality control and the build quality by the manufacturer. Honda had a class action lawsuit about the shit quality windows they were using. But I'll leave the fragile egos to rest for ever talking ill of their beloved cars.
I have owned many Hondas/Acuras and all including my current TSX are complete rattle boxes. I accepted the compromise due to price and reliability but over time that has narrowed quite a bit so for the first time in a long time I am considering other brands.
Old 10-14-2020 | 12:49 PM
Banned

Sunroof explosions aren't an Acura thing, they're an industry thing that's due to the panoramic nature of the roof. And class action lawsuits are completely irrelevant. Anyone who knows anything legal understands that. It's literally just a small number of plaintiffs who are suing Acura -- and every other company -- "on your behalf" even though nobody signed up for it or cared. People even try to get others to join class action lawsuits on this forum, it's pathetic. They know that they have no case, so they just try to win based on numbers. So, yeah, all you have is a complaint about rattles and we get it.
Old 10-14-2020 | 03:31 PM
Drifting

I've had several vehicles with pano roofs over the last 7+ years, from different manufacturers. NEVER any explosions, thankfully! Would I tint it? No. And I MIGHT benefit from some heat reduction here in the desert. The sun is so harsh here I almost never just open the shade, and when I do, it is on a rare cloudy day, or an even rarer rainy day.

Regarding, rattles, I am sorry I dumped on @leomio85 so much. I totally understand being unhappy with a purchase, and also understand financial constraints. I also know you have spent time de-rattling your RDX. You shouldn't have to, but sometimes you, as the owner, care more about fixing them then the guy at the dealer.

Last edited by JB in AZ; 10-14-2020 at 03:33 PM.
Old 10-14-2020 | 04:46 PM

Originally Posted by JB in AZ
I've had several vehicles with pano roofs over the last 7+ years, from different manufacturers. NEVER any explosions, thankfully! Would I tint it? No. And I MIGHT benefit from some heat reduction here in the desert. The sun is so harsh here I almost never just open the shade, and when I do, it is on a rare cloudy day, or an even rarer rainy day.

Regarding, rattles, I am sorry I dumped on @leomio85 so much. I totally understand being unhappy with a purchase, and also understand financial constraints. I also know you have spent time de-rattling your RDX. You shouldn't have to, but sometimes you, as the owner, care more about fixing them then the guy at the dealer.
My bitching aside, try ceramic window tint. As said prior, it's not going to cause any issues, and it's not going to void warranty seeing as if you are an unlucky person who does have it break, it's not covered anywho. Even with lighter tint, the heat rejection is better than even dark non-ceramic tint. I'll probably be doing the windshield in 50% or 70% ceramic and the sides to match the rear windows eventually.
JB in AZ (08-13-2021)
Old 08-13-2021 | 10:16 AM
2nd Gear

Originally Posted by ceb
I've done that regularly with normal sunroofs and I see no reason why it shouldn't work with a panoramic roof.

Does someone make an aftermarket inside sunshade for the panoramic roof? 2021 RDX
Old 08-13-2021 | 02:42 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by lkap
Does someone make an aftermarket inside sunshade for the panoramic roof? 2021 RDX
Probably not, seeing as the car has a built-in one from the factory ... ???
Old 08-13-2021 | 03:54 PM
2nd Gear

Originally Posted by leomio2.0
Probably not, seeing as the car has a built-in one from the factory ... ???

there isn’t anything on the inside to cover up the sun from the panoramic roof
Old 08-14-2021 | 08:09 AM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by lkap
there isn’t anything on the inside to cover up the sun from the panoramic roof
Its not as good as a real sunshade (it’s a thin cloth that still lets a decent amount of heat in), but there absolutely is. I know because I keep it closed 99.9% of the time because I hate this novelty bullshit that is the pano sunroof. It has been the origins of numerous rattles and is only a detriment to the performance, handling and ride of the vehicle. I wish it was an option rather than standard.
The following 2 users liked this post by leomio2.0:
hand-filer (08-15-2021), Leaf 68 (08-14-2021)
Old 08-14-2021 | 10:01 AM
Racer

FWIW, I went to a highly reputable tint place here in Northern VA to tint my RDX and he advised against tinting the pano roof. Said it makes no difference - car will still reach X temperature within a few minutes and the factory glass has sufficient UV filtering. The only sunroofs he recommends tinting are on Subarus that inexplicably don’t have any factory tint.
amcobra (08-14-2021)
Old 08-15-2021 | 10:28 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by Yumcha
FWIW, I thought all sunroofs are already slightly tinted...

That being said, I don't quite get the point of tinting it as the whole point of it is to let in light from above. If you want to TINT it that much, just pull over your sunroof cover...?
yep!
I keep my sunroof shade open all year except for summer.
Old 08-15-2021 | 02:21 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by leomio2.0
Its not as good as a real sunshade (it’s a thin cloth that still lets a decent amount of heat in), but there absolutely is. I know because I keep it closed 99.9% of the time because I hate this novelty bullshit that is the pano sunroof. It has been the origins of numerous rattles and is only a detriment to the performance, handling and ride of the vehicle. I wish it was an option rather than standard.
I too would prefer the panoramic sunroof be a standalone option. I would pass on it and apply the savings towards something else as I rarely use mine.
Old 08-15-2021 | 02:24 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by jmhumr
FWIW, I went to a highly reputable tint place here in Northern VA to tint my RDX and he advised against tinting the pano roof. Said it makes no difference - car will still reach X temperature within a few minutes and the factory glass has sufficient UV filtering. The only sunroofs he recommends tinting are on Subarus that inexplicably don’t have any factory tint.
I would imagine applying a sheet of film that large overhead would be rather difficult.
Old 08-16-2021 | 08:14 AM
Drifting

Originally Posted by hand-filer
I would imagine applying a sheet of film that large overhead would be rather difficult.
Remember, the glass roof has two panels.
Old 08-16-2021 | 02:25 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by JB in AZ
Remember, the glass roof has two panels.
I'm aware of that. I'm just going by my experience with installing graffiti film on some bus windows for a new product development project. It was difficult enough to install the film on a flat table. I don't claim to be an expert however.
JB in AZ (08-16-2021)