Anyone move from TLX to new RDX?

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2018, 01:37 PM
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Anyone move from TLX to new RDX?

Added RDX to my shopping list as I trade in my TLX. I know these are two different categories and we may not be able to objectively compare the two; but for those who traded in their SH-AWD TLX for new SH-AWD RDX what's your experience been like (specifically driving and sitting higher).
Old 09-08-2018, 05:06 PM
Instructor

Received 31 Likes on 23 Posts
Moved from a TSX 6spd manual to the RDX.
  • Sitting higher, better visibility.
  • Handling is comparable, the SH-AWD makes a difference. Test drove a RDX 2018 and it drove like a truck in comparing to the TSX. The 2019 RDX is much better, power out of a corner doesn't compare with the TSX.
  • Rear visibility drops with the RDX.
  • I need to paddle shift down often to get the feel of the old manual quicker response.
  • Real killer is the technology. The TSX had no technology, none. Now the 2019 RDX keeps emailing me speed warnings. LOL
Old 09-08-2018, 06:19 PM
Cruisin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Pharcyde
Added RDX to my shopping list as I trade in my TLX. I know these are two different categories and we may not be able to objectively compare the two; but for those who traded in their SH-AWD TLX for new SH-AWD RDX what's your experience been like (specifically driving and sitting higher).
I own both a TLX and I just bought a 2019 RDX A-Spec.
I like both for different reasons, the RDX is also my first SUV.
Old 09-08-2018, 07:10 PM
Instructor

Received 64 Likes on 38 Posts
I am going from TLX to RDX. I haven’t gotten the RDX yet, but it is ordered and scheduled to be built Monday. Quite frankly, the rdx feels better than the TLX in a lot of ways, not least of which was the transmission (on the unit I test drove twice).

The old RDX that I had a couple of times as a service loaner was ok, but not likely something I would have considered.

The sh-awd was make or break for me, along with not using the 9sp zf transmission. The MDX using the zf unit eliminated it from consideration.

If it wasn’t for the RDX, Acura definitely would have lost me, after driving 3 TL and TLX’s since 2007.
Old 09-08-2018, 07:16 PM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by Gate 17
Moved from a TSX 6spd manual to the RDX.
  • Sitting higher, better visibility.
  • Handling is comparable, the SH-AWD makes a difference. Test drove a RDX 2018 and it drove like a truck in comparing to the TSX. The 2019 RDX is much better, power out of a corner doesn't compare with the TSX.
  • Rear visibility drops with the RDX.
  • I need to paddle shift down often to get the feel of the old manual quicker response.
  • Real killer is the technology. The TSX had no technology, none. Now the 2019 RDX keeps emailing me speed warnings. LOL
what do you mean about rear visibility drops?
Old 09-08-2018, 08:53 PM
Instructor

Received 31 Likes on 23 Posts
Rear side views is somewhat restricted compare to the sedan.
Old 09-09-2018, 12:59 AM
Pro

Received 223 Likes on 137 Posts
I went from a TLX SH-AWD to a new RDX; my first SUV.
I like the higher seating position. At my age, climbing up a bit is easier than lowering myself into a sedan.
The RDX seats are more comfortable and the sound system is better.
I also appreciate the Acura Watch suite.

I felt that the TLX was easier to drive and to park and rode just a bit smoother and quieter. The rear window is larger and closer so the view out back is a little better as some others mentioned.
Old 09-12-2018, 12:13 AM
Car Crazy for Sure!

Received 432 Likes on 299 Posts
Smile Have both in my garage

I currently have both....an '18 TLX, A-Spec, SH-Awd in white with red interior AND a '19 RDX, A-Spec, white with red interior! LOL! Mom and son! I like them both for different reasons. The TLX is smoother, more quiet and the
A-Spec seats are very comfy. They have the "roll out" thigh support if needed and wanted. Not avail. on the RDX.

Yes, the TLX is "harder" to get in to, but, once in it's a lot of fun to drive. That 290 hp V6 is smooth and strong. The 9 speed trans is great. It is NOT the 9 speed that the "complainers" talk about with the early versions of this trans.
It has been updated and gearing is also different. Nice to drive, and with the SH-Awd it corners so fast with NO body leaning. Shocked me when I really put it to the test when a BMW 330 decided he had a "superior car".....he learned
he didn't!! LOL!!

Just a "note" about the SH-Awd system. As written about by very knowledgeable folks in the auto industry....this system is not "realized" for it's amazing cornering unless you truly push it hard
in to a long sweeping curve. That's when it really "shines." Just cruising around town does NOT allow you to know what this system is capable of. As written by those folks....you have to
"trust" the car and the system to test it out. Meaning....driving hard and fast in to a sweeping curve...or maybe not so sweeping. It just digs in and the torque vectoring system pulls you
around the curve with no body lean. It shocked me a little....as I chased down that BMW.....and he could not lose me after I was on his _ss!! LOL!!

Last edited by Colorado Guy AF Ret.; 09-12-2018 at 12:20 AM.
The following 3 users liked this post by Colorado Guy AF Ret.:
Comfy (09-12-2018), Pens Fan (09-12-2018), savvich (03-18-2021)
Old 09-12-2018, 07:42 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 257 Likes on 177 Posts
Originally Posted by Colorado Guy AF Ret.
Just a "note" about the SH-Awd system. As written about by very knowledgeable folks in the auto industry....this system is not "realized" for it's amazing cornering unless you truly push it hard
in to a long sweeping curve. That's when it really "shines." Just cruising around town does NOT allow you to know what this system is capable of. As written by those folks....you have to
"trust" the car and the system to test it out. Meaning....driving hard and fast in to a sweeping curve...or maybe not so sweeping. It just digs in and the torque vectoring system pulls you
around the curve with no body lean. It shocked me a little....as I chased down that BMW.....and he could not lose me after I was on his _ss!! LOL!!
It works just as well in an urban environment when entering a busy (or not so busy) roadway from a side street. With proper throttle input it almost throws you around the corner.

Old 09-12-2018, 02:20 PM
7th Gear

Originally Posted by qwxilvr
I am going from TLX to RDX. I haven’t gotten the RDX yet, but it is ordered and scheduled to be built Monday. Quite frankly, the rdx feels better than the TLX in a lot of ways, not least of which was the transmission (on the unit I test drove twice).

The old RDX that I had a couple of times as a service loaner was ok, but not likely something I would have considered.

The sh-awd was make or break for me, along with not using the 9sp zf transmission. The MDX using the zf unit eliminated it from consideration.

If it wasn’t for the RDX, Acura definitely would have lost me, after driving 3 TL and TLX’s since 2007.
I ditched my TLX and after two prior TSX's I was about done with Acura until the 3G RDX hit the scene. Turned my TLX V6 Tech in for AWD ADV RDX.

+ for RDX vs TLX
* More interior room, obviously
* Better infotainment system by far (this was a big driver for me) & availability of heads up display
* Ride is smooth, powerful when it needs to be

- for RDX vs TLX
* Mileage is not as good. The turbo 4 and AWD give you some ummph, but at a price. Even in comfort mode and being light on the pedal I'm barely eeking out 18 or 19 MPG compared to my FWD V6 TLX I was able to consistently hit 22 or 23. Was hoping to at least get the 21 MPG its rated for. (This could be a bit of a break-in period issue and me learning the car issue - I keep AC on pretty high and have just recently realized you can barely have your foot on the gas and pretty easily maintain your speed.)
* Back end still looks like a mini-van to me.... thankfully the rest of the design makes up for it.
* The 'enhanced' engine sound in the RDX is less gratifying than the actual feel for the TLX V6....
Old 09-15-2018, 12:07 PM
3rd Gear

Great community. Thank you everyone for your insight and perspective. Really appreciate it. 🙏

I like my TLX...so right now it's between the TLX SHAWD A-Spec and the RDX SHAWD A-Spec. Will be a tough decision...but need to make a decision by next weekend

Just need something to bridge me until the TLX full model change for 2020/21...🤞Hopefully Type S
Old 03-06-2021, 09:07 AM
10th Gear

Comparing both cars

Originally Posted by PacSpud
I ditched my TLX and after two prior TSX's I was about done with Acura until the 3G RDX hit the scene. Turned my TLX V6 Tech in for AWD ADV RDX.

+ for RDX vs TLX
* More interior room, obviously
* Better infotainment system by far (this was a big driver for me) & availability of heads up display
* Ride is smooth, powerful when it needs to be

- for RDX vs TLX
* Mileage is not as good. The turbo 4 and AWD give you some ummph, but at a price. Even in comfort mode and being light on the pedal I'm barely eeking out 18 or 19 MPG compared to my FWD V6 TLX I was able to consistently hit 22 or 23. Was hoping to at least get the 21 MPG its rated for. (This could be a bit of a break-in period issue and me learning the car issue - I keep AC on pretty high and have just recently realized you can barely have your foot on the gas and pretty easily maintain your speed.)
* Back end still looks like a mini-van to me.... thankfully the rest of the design makes up for it.
* The 'enhanced' engine sound in the RDX is less gratifying than the actual feel for the TLX V6....
I still have my 8th gen Civic Si. Riding on Koni suspension with Tein H-tech springs. I recently got a new job after being unemployed for 8 months. I work in IT and the company is a MSP. They have me driving to clients more than I expected. I’m getting older and I would like a comfortable car that gets good fuel economy but is still engaging to drive.

Has anyone here ever owned a 8thcivic before the got into their current Acura? The wife and I love Subaru and Honda. Both are super reliable. My aging Civic still looks nice, and gets 20 mpg combined. But the roads here in LA are terrible and 90% of the cars on the road are CUV or SUV. And I fear that if I am ever in an accident, I would t make it since my car is a tic tac compared to the others.

I sorta like having something small because they are easy to back into a parking spot., and get around right obstacles on the road.

Would a 2018/19 RDX Sh-AWD be too much of a jump for me in a relation to how I’m connected to the road? I’m shocked to hear that it gets 18/19 mpg with its potent 4 cylinder turbo.

The TLX Aspec Sh-AWD with a V6 sounds and looks great, but to me V6 just sounds like a gas guzzler.

Any real world observerations??
Old 03-06-2021, 10:45 AM
Drifting

Received 803 Likes on 528 Posts
Originally Posted by OMGOrangeSi
I still have my 8th gen Civic Si. Riding on Koni suspension with Tein H-tech springs. I recently got a new job after being unemployed for 8 months. I work in IT and the company is a MSP. They have me driving to clients more than I expected. I’m getting older and I would like a comfortable car that gets good fuel economy but is still engaging to drive.

Has anyone here ever owned a 8thcivic before the got into their current Acura? The wife and I love Subaru and Honda. Both are super reliable. My aging Civic still looks nice, and gets 20 mpg combined. But the roads here in LA are terrible and 90% of the cars on the road are CUV or SUV. And I fear that if I am ever in an accident, I would t make it since my car is a tic tac compared to the others.

I sorta like having something small because they are easy to back into a parking spot., and get around right obstacles on the road.

Would a 2018/19 RDX Sh-AWD be too much of a jump for me in a relation to how I’m connected to the road? I’m shocked to hear that it gets 18/19 mpg with its potent 4 cylinder turbo.

The TLX Aspec Sh-AWD with a V6 sounds and looks great, but to me V6 just sounds like a gas guzzler.

The current Gen RDX (3rd) started with the 2019 model year...which I have . Great car, very planted on the road, fast great radio/audio system, lots of comfort/safety features. I can't compare with small sedans, but I feel much more safe in the RDX size vehicle. Anything bigger is too big for me. I am averaging about 26-27 mpg over 29,000 miles in two years. I hope this helps some.
The following users liked this post:
OMGOrangeSi (03-08-2021)
Old 03-06-2021, 10:55 AM
Safety Car

Received 3,436 Likes on 1,884 Posts

I had an 8G Civic as well. If you’re planning to carry clients in the back of the car, I would pass on the TLX. It has around the same amount of backseat room as the 8G Civic (according to Honda it actually had less rear legroom than the 8G), and the middle seat is actually worse due to how raised that seat is. I’m 5’8 and I have to hunch over in that seat because my head hits the roof. The RDX is infinitely better at shuttling passengers in the back.

Last edited by fiatlux; 03-06-2021 at 10:58 AM.
Old 03-07-2021, 10:43 AM
10th Gear

Originally Posted by JB in AZ
The current Gen RDX (3rd) started with the 2019 model year...which I have . Great car, very planted on the road, fast great radio/audio system, lots of comfort/safety features. I can't compare with small sedans, but I feel much more safe in the RDX size vehicle. Anything bigger is too big for me. I am averaging about 26-27 mpg over 29,000 miles in two years. I hope this helps some.
Those mileage numbers sound about right. 19mpg for a new car (2019) (is new IMO) is not worth the money. I’d rather stay with my current car and get the same mileage since it’s paid off. Thank you.

Originally Posted by fiatlux
I had an 8G Civic as well. If you’re planning to carry clients in the back of the car, I would pass on the TLX. It has around the same amount of backseat room as the 8G Civic (according to Honda it actually had less rear legroom than the 8G), and the middle seat is actually worse due to how raised that seat is. I’m 5’8 and I have to hunch over in that seat because my head hits the roof. The RDX is infinitely better at shuttling passengers in the back.
I would not be carrying clients. I drive to clients place if business and setup devices and computers or visit a data center or two. I wouldn’t drive around paying clients.

Hearing that the TLX has an abysmal rear seating space is disappointing. I can fit my two fully grown sister in laws in the back seats w/o complaints.

But the wife and I are trying to have kids. And since we keep our cars for a long time, I would want something that will help us with kids. We already have a 2011 Subaru Outback, which is super spacious and ridiculously good on gas. Sounds like the RDX has moved up the shopping list. A gas hungry V6 in a small cabin of a $30k used car is not worth it.
JB in AZ (03-07-2021)
Old 03-07-2021, 01:03 PM
Drifting

Received 1,262 Likes on 917 Posts
But the wife and I are trying to have kids. And since we keep our cars for a long time, I would want something that will help us with kids. We already have a 2011 Subaru Outback, which is super spacious and ridiculously good on gas. Sounds like the RDX has moved up the shopping list. A gas hungry V6 in a small cabin of a $30k used car is not worth it.
The TLX is not a family car. Stick with the RDX or bigger. I upgraded from an Altima to a Murano for my first kid and it makes a difference for car seats.
Old 03-08-2021, 08:17 AM
10th Gear

Originally Posted by ELIN
The TLX is not a family car. Stick with the RDX or bigger. I upgraded from an Altima to a Murano for my first kid and it makes a difference for car seats.
Agreed. However, I was just checked some prices of gently used RDXs online and they go for $37k around here. I found one for $31k. But the dealer sometimes sells cars that were in accidents and doesn’t disclose it in the ad.

I the prices some 2016 -2018 Subaru Forester XT (I gotta have my boost &#129322, and they are priced around $20k. That sounds more enticing for right now. I’m going to try to save more, and see what we can find.

There’s always the current Outback that we have to haul any kids around. A TLX can fit car seats I’m sure, I’m just primarily looking for a car without a manual transmission since the wife can’t really drive the current civic.

Im looking for a car that’s primarily for ME and my work, that’s more comfortable than what I have, but can be used to drop off a kid at school whenever we have kids. If that makes sense...
Old 03-08-2021, 08:25 AM
Drifting

Agreed. However, I was just checked some prices of gently used RDXs online and they go for $37k around here. I found one for $31k. But the dealer sometimes sells cars that were in accidents and doesn’t disclose it in the ad.

I the prices some 2016 -2018 Subaru Forester XT (I gotta have my boost &#129322, and they are priced around $20k. That sounds more enticing for right now. I’m going to try to save more, and see what we can find.

There’s always the current Outback that we have to haul any kids around. A TLX can fit car seats I’m sure, I’m just primarily looking for a car without a manual transmission since the wife can’t really drive the current civic.

Im looking for a car that’s primarily for ME and my work, that’s more comfortable than what I have, but can be used to drop off a kid at school whenever we have kids. If that makes sense...
The TLX has a really low roofline. I've hit my head after securing a car seat exiting out of taller vehicles. These are some of the things folks without kids don't understand and wished someone with experience had told them.

With the TLX, you might be able to get by until your oldest kid is around 12+ (really depends on height). Remember, the toughest years are when you have to be back there buckling them in!
OMGOrangeSi (03-09-2021)
Old 03-13-2021, 07:34 PM
Instructor

Received 43 Likes on 30 Posts
When my lease was up on my TLX Advance, I got an RDX Advance to replace it. The reason was I got the RDX, at the time the new TLX was a few months from being available and I did not want another TLX that was exactly like I already had. I wanted something different. I'm single person and rarely have anyone else in the vehicle, so the TLX worked find for me. An SUV was something I never had considered before. There are some things I miss on the TLX. Things like the fact that the exterior lights turn on when I approached the vehicle. I also missed the folding exterior mirrors. The gas mileage is also somewhat less with the RDX. I do find the RDX seats to be more comfortable. I like the Head Up Display. The dash in the RDX is an upgrade in my opinion. I don't like exposed cup holders, the RDX's is covered, which I like. Overall, I'm satisfied with the RDX.
Old 03-13-2021, 07:38 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by Linmk2
When my lease was up on my TLX Advance, I got an RDX Advance to replace it. The reason was I got the RDX, at the time the new TLX was a few months from being available and I did not want another TLX that was exactly like I already had. I wanted something different. I'm single person and rarely have anyone else in the vehicle, so the TLX worked find for me. An SUV was something I never had considered before. There are some things I miss on the TLX. Things like the fact that the exterior lights turn on when I approached the vehicle. I also missed the folding exterior mirrors. The gas mileage is also somewhat less with the RDX. I do find the RDX seats to be more comfortable. I like the Head Up Display. The dash in the RDX is an upgrade in my opinion. I don't like exposed cup holders, the RDX's is covered, which I like. Overall, I'm satisfied with the RDX.
Are you telling me the RDX Advance doesn't have folding mirrors?!!!
Old 03-13-2021, 08:01 PM
Instructor

Received 57 Likes on 42 Posts
Not in the USA.
Old 03-14-2021, 02:25 PM
Instructor

Received 43 Likes on 30 Posts
The exterior mirrors do not fold electrical like the TLX Advance. They do fold, but one will have to fold them by hand.
Old 03-14-2021, 02:35 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by Linmk2
The exterior mirrors do not fold electrical like the TLX Advance. They do fold, but one will have to fold them by hand.
Then it's just like my TLX A-Spec. So sad that these nearly $50k cars can't have the simplest luxuries...
Old 03-14-2021, 04:25 PM
Drifting

Received 803 Likes on 528 Posts
Then it's just like my TLX A-Spec. So sad that these nearly $50k cars can't have the simplest luxuries...
I would agree that "the simplest luxuries" is a point of view, as I have absolutely no need for power folding mirrors. And not to flame the fires, but...I HAVE seen them on much lower level vehicles, like $25,000-$30,000 Kia and Hyundai sedans.

A MUCH more important "simplest luxury" to me would be an infotainment system that doesn't need/require so many updates and yet, still does not work properly. OR a vehicle that provides a truly "comfort" drive mode. Sometimes I wish we could have a "comfort mode" that softens up the ride just a bit more than our current Comfort mode. Advance owners DO have adaptive dampers, right? Couldn't prove it by me. Another "simplest luxury" would a quieter cabin.

Yeah, not a good day for my love affair with my RDX. I realize the topic is TLX-> RDX. I haven't owned a sedan since, hmmm, let me think..a 2009 Camry Hybrid.