Is anyone else having trouble with remote start fails?

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2020 | 09:40 AM
Advanced

Is anyone else having trouble with remote start fails?

Seems like I get a failure about one out of every eight times I try it. The other day, I got two failures while the car sat in my attached garage and then it seemed like it wouldn't let me try a third time because I had exceeded my two times. Anybody else having trouble?
Old 02-05-2020 | 09:46 AM
Instructor

No problems at all. You could also have some wireless interference in your area. Does this happen everywhere or just at home? I would go back to the dealer.
Old 02-05-2020 | 10:04 AM
Advanced

I have the tech package and use the Acura link on my phone to try to start it. The car sits in my garage and we are in town with good cell phone reception, but maybe the car is trying to feed off of my in-house Wi-Fi? I'm not sure how that system works. If nobody else here has had the problem or has a solution I will probably call the people at Acura link Because my dealer is 2 hours away.
Old 02-05-2020 | 01:47 PM
Skeptic

The app worked fast and flawlessly for me until I had the infotainment head unit replaced last week. Remote commands don't work and the only status I get are mileage, range and oil life. No tire pressure, locked/unlocked or location. I'm in contact with app support and they're workin' on it.

Last edited by NooYawkuh; 02-05-2020 at 01:49 PM.
Old 02-05-2020 | 03:57 PM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by DKraky
Seems like I get a failure about one out of every eight times I try it. The other day, I got two failures while the car sat in my attached garage and then it seemed like it wouldn't let me try a third time because I had exceeded my two times. Anybody else having trouble?
I've been having intermittent failure to start as well, seems like about the same frequency as you are having. Seems to happen in spurts to me with a few days of problems then no issues for a long period. The car is always in the exact same spot. On occasion I have not gotten start confirmation with the countdown from the app but the car has been running when I went out. I don't remember having any problems until the big update last fall. My suspicion is that the problem is on the server but that is just a gut feeling.
Old 02-05-2020 | 04:29 PM
Advanced

I got a hold of acuralink and the gal said it's probably because it's sitting in my garage. She suggested I park it outside on the street and remote start it.
Really? This is North Central, Wisconsin where it gets 20 to 30 below and I should leave it outside? If I get out to the restaurant and I'm in there for a half hour or 45 minutes, I really don't need to remote start it because it's already been warmed up. I need it in the morning and it has to stay in my garage...pretty dumb.
Old 02-05-2020 | 04:35 PM
Pro

Mine is flawless even from my job where I barely get a LTE signal and from the remote. Loving it!!!!
Old 02-05-2020 | 05:25 PM
Racer

I got a hold of acuralink and the gal said it's probably because it's sitting in my garage. She suggested I park it outside on the street and remote start it.
Really? This is North Central, Wisconsin where it gets 20 to 30 below and I should leave it outside? If I get out to the restaurant and I'm in there for a half hour or 45 minutes, I really don't need to remote start it because it's already been warmed up. I need it in the morning and it has to stay in my garage...pretty dumb.
What she told you makes no sense. How does the car (and/or app) know the car is in a garage?
Old 02-05-2020 | 05:53 PM
Advanced

I wonder if the garage door being up is blocking the signal.... Although I think I could stand under it and use my cell phone with absolutely no problem.... I'm not sure how the command to start is beamed into the car.
Old 02-05-2020 | 06:07 PM
Drifting

Works for me.
Old 02-05-2020 | 06:25 PM
'20 RDX Elite

I have the tech package and use the Acura link on my phone to try to start it. The car sits in my garage and we are in town with good cell phone reception, but maybe the car is trying to feed off of my in-house Wi-Fi? I'm not sure how that system works. If nobody else here has had the problem or has a solution I will probably call the people at Acura link Because my dealer is 2 hours away.
It has an in-built cellular modem and internet connection for the remote and emergency features. So if your garage is shielded somehow or if you have issues getting cellular coverage in the garage, expect issues.

The remote features is spotty in mine as well, it mostly works but every now and then it fails although the app says it is successful. The app in general doesn't seem that reliable. I have seen it having issues with lock/unlock and also reading the tire pressure (which it sometimes does and sometimes don't).
Old 02-05-2020 | 06:42 PM
Pro

The garage excuse is bullshit. My kitchen is above my garage and mine works flawlessly when the door is open or closed. Even when the appliances are running it works. Hell even from the third floor mine works without issues. I have over 40
wifi devices running with 2 WiFi routers pumping out a signal and a cell spot router since I live between 2 cell towers. Not even a hiccup.

Last edited by kboo74656; 02-05-2020 at 06:45 PM.
Old 02-05-2020 | 08:52 PM
A-Spec w/Advance

I've had spotty results when using it at home with the car parked outside in the driveway and at work with the car parked in a multi-story concrete car park.

It's really annoying to get to the car on a hot day and find that it's not running.
Old 02-06-2020 | 07:02 AM
Skeptic

Like I said, problems only started for me when they replaced the head unit last week. So apparently, there's some sort of disconnect between the car and the AcuraLink network. Yesterday, the support tech had me take a screen snap of the TCU status from the diagnostic menu and email it to them. So, we'll see where that goes.

They always start by having you uninstall and reinstall the app on your phone, which never does anything. Then they ask if the car is in a weak cell coverage area which, where I live, there's no such thing. The app worked fine for me when the car was in the lower level of a 3-level parking garage. The only variable is with the change to the car's head unit. That's where the problem must be. I have a Galaxy S10 with the latest version of Android and the latest version of the app. Between OTA updates, HERE map updates and the remote app problems, Acura really does not have it's shit together when it comes to technology.

He even went so far as to use a Galaxy S10 phone and logged into my account to connect to the car. Basically duplicating what I'm trying to do.

Last edited by NooYawkuh; 02-06-2020 at 07:05 AM.
Old 02-06-2020 | 11:19 AM
Cruisin'

mine worked about half time, so i let the trial expire, some times it would tell me the car is running and i would go out and it would be off, or it would tell me the start failed but it would actually be running, great concept, poor execution, reminds me of the 2013 RDX i had where Acuralink never connected or worked
i would trade this feature in for DVD audio any day
Old 02-06-2020 | 12:26 PM
7th Gear

Yes, I have trouble with the app (iOS). My solution has been to open the app, force close the app (double press of the home button or swipe and hold on X models, then swipe up on the app), go back to the home screen, and open the app again. That seems to clear out whatever suspended state the app was in from the last time I used it. Otherwise it seems like the app gets confused.
Old 02-06-2020 | 01:37 PM
Racer

I have more issues with the app itself. Most of the time it has to connect to the vehicle and that takes 1-2 minutes, really annoying. Sometimes it gets stuck on the connect screen and I have to force close the app and restart it. I have had a few remote start failures, but usually the app doesn't even tell me, I just go outside and the car isn't started.
Old 02-06-2020 | 02:13 PM
Skeptic

On Android, the app usually pairs with the car as soon as I get in. I don't even have to launch it. But remote commands aren't working for me anymore. That's all that matters to me. If they can't get it working like it was, I'll try to cancel and get a refund for the remainder of the subscription.
Old 02-10-2020 | 04:16 PM
Advanced

Well....strange. Well after I posted this and put my car outside the garage it started just fine in the driveway. Ever since that time I probably had six or seven Flawless starts in the garage in a row. Did somebody at Acura flip some magic switch? Or did something in the process relearn what it's supposed to do when I got the start in the driveway? What the heck?
Old 02-11-2020 | 08:52 AM
Instructor

I have issues with remote start from the iOS app 1-2 times/week. It always seems to happen on the coldest days when I want it to work the most. It won't work again until I've manually turned on the car. A few days ago, it didn't work all day no matter what.

Also, the way it sets my heated seats is completely random. Doesn't matter if I left the seats on auto, manual, or off. It's always different from the way I left it. Side note on the heated seats - sometimes when I manually set it to level 3 (hottest), it will change itself to level 2 mid-drive. Not sure if the system is protecting itself from overheating or just trying to avoid over-toasting my buns.
Old 02-11-2020 | 07:49 PM
Skeptic

Originally Posted by Mustachio
Also, the way it sets my heated seats is completely random. Doesn't matter if I left the seats on auto, manual, or off. It's always different from the way I left it....
it doesn't matter how you left anything set when you last shut off the car. I almost always shut everything off. The heat, AC, seats, etc. come on automatically based on the interior temperature of the car. You may not have noticed but once the car starts from the app, it displays the cabin temperature. You can leave the heat on 80 degrees but if it's the middle of Summer, the AC will be on when you get there.
Old 02-12-2020 | 06:46 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by NooYawkuh
it doesn't matter how you left anything set when you last shut off the car. I almost always shut everything off. The heat, AC, seats, etc. come on automatically based on the interior temperature of the car. You may not have noticed but once the car starts from the app, it displays the cabin temperature. You can leave the heat on 80 degrees but if it's the middle of Summer, the AC will be on when you get there.
In other words, the vehicle has a predefined calculation for determining a comfortable cabin temperature based on outside temperatures. I get that and it's fine. I just find it strange that when I have something turned off (e.g. heated seats), the vehicle thinks it knows what's best for me and turns them on anyways. That sort of automation should be left for when it's set to auto.
Old 02-12-2020 | 09:16 AM
Skeptic

The seats don't get very warm until there are asses on them anyway.
Old 02-12-2020 | 11:30 AM
Skeptic

Just got a call from the AcuraLink guy who was handling my case. App is now fixed. Works as advertised.
The following users liked this post:
Madd Dog (02-12-2020)