Aftermarket mud flaps/splash guards?

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2019, 06:06 PM
Advanced

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Aftermarket mud flaps/splash guards?

Has anyone looked into alternative splash/mud-guards for the latest RDX? I passed on the OEM's considering the coverage looked rather small. I kinda like the rally/wrx style look as well.

relevant thread (with pictures) from an install on the first gen RDX: https://acurazine.com/forums/first-g...ps-rdx-938285/

https://www.carid.com/rally-armor/ra...-82094013.html

Old 06-28-2019, 06:43 PM
Banned

Received 225 Likes on 161 Posts
Obviously, it's your car so you can do whatever you want with it, but those mud flaps look terrible to me. They're almost all the way down to the ground, if you look at some of the pictures. They would definitely provide good protection, but I think it would look silly.
The following users liked this post:
securityguy (07-01-2019)
Old 06-28-2019, 06:47 PM
Pro

Received 167 Likes on 114 Posts
Originally Posted by DriverOne
Obviously, it's your car so you can do whatever you want with it, but those mud flaps look terrible to me. They're almost all the way down to the ground, if you look at some of the pictures. They would definitely provide good protection, but I think it would look silly.
Agreed. You're not driving a truck. It's just a crossover.

I think the ones on the WRX looks really silly and screams rice to me as well. Maybe if I were in my teens or early 20's it would look "cool," but then now I realize how much of a tool I was back then.

Last edited by mathnerd88; 06-28-2019 at 06:50 PM.
Old 06-28-2019, 10:25 PM
Skeptic

Received 427 Likes on 283 Posts
Mud flaps?

The best thing about molded splash guards is they make it much easier to get rid of the fender-burgs. Just a little tap with your foot and they fall right off.
Old 06-29-2019, 06:02 PM
Drifting

Received 1,026 Likes on 716 Posts
I like the ones where Yosemite Sam says “Back Off”. I think they give the right vibe.
Old 07-01-2019, 03:50 PM
Advanced

Ok I get it guys lol. You have to admit the OEM coverage for Acura is pretty weak though; even the Lexus NX comes down 3-4 inches at least:

While I'd prefer a molded splash guard set - it doesn't seem to me like there are any available for the RDX. I'm still evaluating different implementations (material/clearance/install methods) but here are some more examples for what I'm going for. After install I will post up a guide for anyone who might be interested.

Acura RDX OEM splash guards for reference (i.e. nonexistent) :

Last edited by oz13ms; 07-01-2019 at 03:51 PM. Reason: emoji not working?
Old 07-01-2019, 06:11 PM
Racer

Received 98 Likes on 61 Posts
To be honest @oz13ms I agree w/you in that they dont really cover much..but being in Orange County, CA where except for this past winter, it rains on average three days per year, I think we are good w/the OEM mud guards.. I too toyed with the idea of non-OEM mud guards for looks and coverage, but I'm glad I went the OEM route because they just fit nicely and look like they were designed with the car and not for the car..but depends on the look you're going for...

If i were to do what i'm considering, which is wheels and possibly spacers to make the stance a little wider, i might see how it looks to put a rally style mudguard in side of the OEM...i was trying to find an image online of this but I've seen it before where the rally style mud guard protrudes just a bit outside the OEM..baseically adding a centimeter or so of protection...but ill probably stick with stock
Old 07-01-2019, 06:25 PM
Advanced

True true. TBH I mostly like the look - same reason I went for A-spec

Originally Posted by knakane
put a rally style mudguard in side of the OEM
nice! I hadn't thought of that.
Old 07-02-2019, 06:15 AM
Skeptic

Received 427 Likes on 283 Posts
Funny thing; I mentioned splash guards not being standard at two different dealers, one Lexus and one Acura. They both said pretty much the same thing. Something to the effect that "these new SUVs don't need splashguards" because of their design. The first time I heard it I just figured that's a buncha bullshit. But when I heard it from the second dealer, he claimed that very little road spray actually hits the body. I don't know; maybe car salesmen are coordinating their bullshit.

If I lived in SoCal or SoFla I'm sure I wouldn't bother. I'm going to give the car one winter without them and see what happens.

Originally Posted by Madd Dog
I like the ones where Yosemite Sam says “Back Off”. I think they give the right vibe.
Well, don't stop there. At least get a bumper sticker that says "SHIT HAPPENS " and some chrome testicles hanging off your trailer hitch.
The following users liked this post:
securityguy (07-02-2019)