After a week with my new RDX Advance SH-AWD

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2019, 07:04 AM
Intermediate

Received 19 Likes on 7 Posts
After a week with my new RDX Advance SH-AWD

I am still learning all the features, so I can't fully speak about things. However, I spent months researching cars and in particular the RDX. So my list of observations will be not just what I like about my new RDX but address some of the negatives I have heard as well.

1) This is a fun vehicle to drive. I have driven fully loaded SUVs that were luxury adjacent but you can't beat the real thing. Solid and refined would be the terms I would use to describe the overall feel
2) This SUV handles like a sports sedan. I have been driving SUVs for over 2 decades and I find my self adjusting my driving mindset because I never had an SUV that could handle and take turns as this one can. Even in comfort mode, this vehicle handles like it is on rails and the feel of the steering is terrific
3) POWER! not only is there more than I could ever want or need the vehicle accelerates so effortlessly. The RDX was born to run, no wonder why so many are finding their gas mileage less than ideal (turbos give a 4 cylinder the power of an 8 cylinder but if you indulge that power it's going to drink like an 8 cylinder)
4) I still love the looks of the RDX. I really think it's one of the best looking SUVs on the road.
5) I don't know why some critics knock the feel of the brakes. I have never noticed them. In my mind brakes are a yes/no type of thing. I have never once noticed the brake pedal or the feel, which in my mind is all you need from brakes
6) I have yet to experience the issues with shifting. Sure with a 10 speed, there are plenty of shifts but they are smooth and well-timed.
7) Driving this vehicle has a bit of a different feel. You feel like you are in the cockpit of a fighter jet than behind the wheel of a car as the vehicle sort of wraps around you to form that cockpit feel (all the controls, gauges, and screens add to that sense)
8) The infotainment system works fine for me and took very little time to get the hang of. I don't understand all the complaints
9) I love the bird's eye view camera. It always takes time getting used to the dimensions of a new vehicle but that system allows you to cheat and be a master no matter how tight things get. Plus if you do a drive through in a parking lot it's really easy to line your back bumper to the parking lot line.
10) The HUD is a really nice feature and I feel it's increased my awareness of exactly how fast I am going, Very helpful going through EZ pass tolls where you want to monitor your speed and NOT hit the toll booth you're traveling through
11) I don't understand why so many people hate the auto shut off feature. It's really no big deal and I sort of like not needlessly burning gas when I am stuck in traffic or at a light

On the not complaint but not praise category:

I don't know the purpose of the auto brake hold. I have never been in traffic or at a light thinking "boy my foot is tired I really could use a break from stepping on the brake. Plus, I don't think it's a habit I want to get into as I drive other vehicles.
Unless I am missing something, I think it's sort of odd that they don't have an auto up and auto down driver's side window.

The following 7 users liked this post by NJMaverick:
B25Nut (03-21-2019), DWG (03-21-2019), GW208 (03-21-2019), hockeyaddict (03-21-2019), markm929 (03-21-2019), Mreasy21 (03-21-2019), romer (03-21-2019) and 2 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 03-21-2019, 08:12 AM
Racer

Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts
Originally Posted by NJMaverick
I am still learning all the features, so I can't fully speak about things. However, I spent months researching cars and in particular the RDX. So my list of observations will be not just what I like about my new RDX but address some of the negatives I have heard as well.

1) This is a fun vehicle to drive. I have driven fully loaded SUVs that were luxury adjacent but you can't beat the real thing. Solid and refined would be the terms I would use to describe the overall feel
2) This SUV handles like a sports sedan. I have been driving SUVs for over 2 decades and I find my self adjusting my driving mindset because I never had an SUV that could handle and take turns as this one can. Even in comfort mode, this vehicle handles like it is on rails and the feel of the steering is terrific
3) POWER! not only is there more than I could ever want or need the vehicle accelerates so effortlessly. The RDX was born to run, no wonder why so many are finding their gas mileage less than ideal (turbos give a 4 cylinder the power of an 8 cylinder but if you indulge that power it's going to drink like an 8 cylinder)
4) I still love the looks of the RDX. I really think it's one of the best looking SUVs on the road.
5) I don't know why some critics knock the feel of the brakes. I have never noticed them. In my mind brakes are a yes/no type of thing. I have never once noticed the brake pedal or the feel, which in my mind is all you need from brakes
6) I have yet to experience the issues with shifting. Sure with a 10 speed, there are plenty of shifts but they are smooth and well-timed.
7) Driving this vehicle has a bit of a different feel. You feel like you are in the cockpit of a fighter jet than behind the wheel of a car as the vehicle sort of wraps around you to form that cockpit feel (all the controls, gauges, and screens add to that sense)
8) The infotainment system works fine for me and took very little time to get the hang of. I don't understand all the complaints
9) I love the bird's eye view camera. It always takes time getting used to the dimensions of a new vehicle but that system allows you to cheat and be a master no matter how tight things get. Plus if you do a drive through in a parking lot it's really easy to line your back bumper to the parking lot line.
10) The HUD is a really nice feature and I feel it's increased my awareness of exactly how fast I am going, Very helpful going through EZ pass tolls where you want to monitor your speed and NOT hit the toll booth you're traveling through
11) I don't understand why so many people hate the auto shut off feature. It's really no big deal and I sort of like not needlessly burning gas when I am stuck in traffic or at a light

I don't know the purpose of the auto brake hold. I have never been in traffic or at a light thinking "boy my foot is tired I really could use a break from stepping on the brake. Plus, I don't think it's a habit I want to get into as I drive other vehicles.
Unless I am missing something, I think it's sort of odd that they don't have an auto up and auto down driver's side window.
Unless I am mistaken, all the windows are auto up/down...from the Driver's seat.

The following users liked this post:
NJMaverick (03-21-2019)
Old 03-21-2019, 10:29 AM
Drifting

Received 803 Likes on 528 Posts

Thanks for this great evaluation! I agree with almost everything you said....except the brakes. When I drive the RDX, the brakes seem fine...when I drive my wife's car on an occasional weekend, i end up stopping short the first few stops, and she wonders what I am doing. The soft brake pedal of the RDX is one thing that I would change, if I could easily, but I am used to it.

The auto brake hold is also in the same category, getting used to it in one car, then driving a car without it is asking for potential problems. I have no problem keeping my foot on the brake, and when using the ACC, it is not needed anyway.

I started using the "auto" setting for the seat fan/heater a few days ago, as we have been having cool mornings, and 70-80 degrees afternoons. Heater on 1 light early, then fan later in the day. COOL! (Pun intended) It is nice, but I think it may be keeping the idle stop/start from engaging. Not sure yet, I need a few more days to confirm. I agree with you, I like the feature. If it saves some fuel why not? Personal preference I guess. I knew the car had it before I bought it, as do most now anyway.
Old 03-21-2019, 11:10 AM
Instructor

Received 28 Likes on 20 Posts
Originally Posted by JB in AZ
Thanks for this great evaluation! I agree with almost everything you said....except the brakes. When I drive the RDX, the brakes seem fine...when I drive my wife's car on an occasional weekend, i end up stopping short the first few stops, and she wonders what I am doing. The soft brake pedal of the RDX is one thing that I would change, if I could easily, but I am used to it.

The auto brake hold is also in the same category, getting used to it in one car, then driving a car without it is asking for potential problems. I have no problem keeping my foot on the brake, and when using the ACC, it is not needed anyway.

I started using the "auto" setting for the seat fan/heater a few days ago, as we have been having cool mornings, and 70-80 degrees afternoons. Heater on 1 light early, then fan later in the day. COOL! (Pun intended) It is nice, but I think it may be keeping the idle stop/start from engaging. Not sure yet, I need a few more days to confirm. I agree with you, I like the feature. If it saves some fuel why not? Personal preference I guess. I knew the car had it before I bought it, as do most now anyway.

I agree with you completely. It feels like people like to complain for the sake of complaining. I haven't had any issues with my ASPEC and I get tons of compliments, I recently went to an Autoshow and comparing the quality and style to competitors, the RDX is such a great value luxury car.
Old 03-21-2019, 11:19 AM
Drifting

Received 1,025 Likes on 715 Posts
Be aware to not use auto stop/start with auto brake hold. On a longish stop, the auto stop/start will restart the engine, which releases the auto brake hold, and your car goes forward.

Pick one or the other, IMO.
NJMaverick (03-21-2019)
Old 03-21-2019, 11:50 AM
9th Gear

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts
Great review. I’ve had limits issues with my vehicle. I had the Jaguar F-Pace before and this vehicle is just as capable. The fit and finish is awesome. No vehicle is perfect, but this one is perfect for me right now. In a couple of years, it might be a different story. ��
Old 03-21-2019, 04:18 PM
Intermediate

Received 20 Likes on 12 Posts
After 7 months, Ditto

The only item I would differ on is auto start-stop. I always turn it off. Just a personal preference - it works perfectly.

I love my SH-AWD Advance. Your post almost sounds like I wrote it. Enjoy!
NJMaverick (03-21-2019)
Old 03-22-2019, 10:31 AM
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Auto start-stop first introduced by VW in 1983 was driven by European emission standards, no idle and MPG goals in Europe with a much higher city driving percentage. See the thread on auto start-stop and using "P" park. If auto start-stop engages putting the car in "P" park will restart the car. Using the Engine Start/Stop will automatically put the car in "P" Park and not restart the car.