After the mega flop QX50, Infiniti is coming with QX55!

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2019 | 10:21 PM
AZ Community Team

Originally Posted by mathnerd88
Seriously? This is what you're resorting to? Calling others who are not agreeing with you being paid by Infiniti?
I never said that. I respect everyone’s opinion. Since you couldn’t answer my last message, I will just say, your message is wrong and I respect my peers opinion.

I just don’t like negativity without proof. That’s all.
Old 08-20-2019 | 11:36 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by Stew4HD
... Imagine that, another thread derailed
And if I understood the point of an Infiniti thread in an Acura forum, I might be upset about that. But it has made a recently quiet forum much more lively.

As for Acura infotainment systems, I would be less upset about the teething pains of the current "latest greatest, super innovative" effort if we didn't also have a 2014 MDX with the previous "super innovative" dual-screen with jog dial monstrosity that was cut off from updates made available to the 2015 MDX because of hardware changes. What assurance do we have that the same thing won't happen with 2019/2020 RDX?

Sadly, there is a long and sordid history of Acura getting it exactly wrong with the console electronics. Which is a shame, because generally their engines and chassis are good-to-excellent relative to their peer set.

FWIW I don't see it as a failure that Acura isn't aggressively chasing the AMG et cetera market when they have always had more of a focus on value. Face it, most Mercedes snobs wouldn't buy an Acura even if it massively outperformed their pet brand, because it's all about "status". And selling a few dozen "value" near-supercars a year isn't likely to change that for Acura, however well engineered they may be. Chevy sells more Corvettes than that in a few days, but does that help them sell Silverados?
Old 08-25-2019 | 03:09 AM
Advanced

Originally Posted by justnspace
interesting to note; non-car-people view infiniti as a SUV brand
So just like Acura then.
Old 08-25-2019 | 03:54 AM
Null and proud of it

Originally Posted by Wander
And if I understood the point of an Infiniti thread in an Acura forum, I might be upset about that. But it has made a recently quiet forum much more lively.

As for Acura infotainment systems, I would be less upset about the teething pains of the current "latest greatest, super innovative" effort if we didn't also have a 2014 MDX with the previous "super innovative" dual-screen with jog dial monstrosity that was cut off from updates made available to the 2015 MDX because of hardware changes. What assurance do we have that the same thing won't happen with 2019/2020 RDX?

Sadly, there is a long and sordid history of Acura getting it exactly wrong with the console electronics. Which is a shame, because generally their engines and chassis are good-to-excellent relative to their peer set.

FWIW I don't see it as a failure that Acura isn't aggressively chasing the AMG et cetera market when they have always had more of a focus on value. Face it, most Mercedes snobs wouldn't buy an Acura even if it massively outperformed their pet brand, because it's all about "status". And selling a few dozen "value" near-supercars a year isn't likely to change that for Acura, however well engineered they may be. Chevy sells more Corvettes than that in a few days, but does that help them sell Silverados?

I see more Mercedes on the road than Acuras by a long shot.

In my mind, MB is for people who want status but Acura is by far a more unique brand as a direct result.
Old 08-25-2019 | 09:15 AM
AZ Community Team

Originally Posted by Midnight Mystery
I see more Mercedes on the road than Acuras by a long shot.

In my mind, MB is for people who want status but Acura is by far a more unique brand as a direct result.
I think majority of people buy German cars for status. We can not deny that people associate BMW, Audi and or MB with more success and wealth. Lexus is getting there at least in North America.

Acura and Infiniti, both brands fell behind, especially after 2008 financial crisis. Now of course I will sound bias but Acura has an amazing track record. The Integra, the NSX, the Legend and the TL to name a few. People associate Acura to that premium Japanese brand and sports. Infiniti had a very short success and still can’t find their target market. They focus on performance and luxury but fail in both. Acura understood that they can’t be the most luxurious vehicle out there, so they went back to their roots. Performance with a touch of luxury.

Acura will be in a great place with the new TLX and MDX. Infiniti needs to revamp their lineup and make their mind. Performance or luxury? As a sub division of nissan, there is no way they will be the most performance and luxurious vehicle there. Logically just doesn’t make sense. Their market share is too small.
Old 08-25-2019 | 10:31 AM
Pro

You don’t even know what the next gen Q50 is going to be like and will compete against TLX. Infiniti may even hit that one out of the park and beat the TLX.

They already have a 400 hp Q50, which the next gen TLX and Type S likely not have. Even their pro pilot assist is better than Acura’s.

Their cars are already more performance with luxury than Acura and it’s been that way for a while. Let’s wait until the next gen cars are out and we can see how their infotainment works. I have a feeling Infiniti knows what they need to do. It’s unfortunate they stuck with a 2014 infotainment system in their QX50 but Q50 is when they usually debut a new infotainment system. All they need to do is to stop using CVT and just put a new infotainment system.

Like Acura, they still have opportunities to succeed. They just need to time it correctly.

Last edited by mathnerd88; 08-25-2019 at 10:46 AM.
Old 08-25-2019 | 09:58 PM
AZ Community Team

You don’t even know what the next gen Q50 is going to be like and will compete against TLX. Infiniti may even hit that one out of the park and beat the TLX.

They already have a 400 hp Q50, which the next gen TLX and Type S likely not have. Even their pro pilot assist is better than Acura’s.

Their cars are already more performance with luxury than Acura and it’s been that way for a while. Let’s wait until the next gen cars are out and we can see how their infotainment works. I have a feeling Infiniti knows what they need to do. It’s unfortunate they stuck with a 2014 infotainment system in their QX50 but Q50 is when they usually debut a new infotainment system. All they need to do is to stop using CVT and just put a new infotainment system.

Like Acura, they still have opportunities to succeed. They just need to time it correctly.
You are a confused man lol!
Let’s wait till Infiniti builds a plane then we will discuss 🙌🏽
Old 08-25-2019 | 10:34 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by Tony Pac
You are a confused man lol!
Let’s wait till Infiniti builds a plane then we will discuss ����
Not long ago, Acura was in the same position as Infiniti, so I wouldn't count them out just yet. Infiniti has already announced a new infotainment system featuring 12-15" screens in their cars beginning next year. This would be a significant upgrade.

https://thewomenjournal.com/2019/03/...er-and-jaguar/
https://www.motorauthority.com/news/...ainment-system

I've owned both Infiniti and Acura cars, and Infiniti quality has traditionally been better. If you compare Acura's older infotainment system, Infiniti's is leaps better. Just wait until the next gen comes out. IMHO, the only Acura vehicles that's actually better than a comparable Infiniti spec-wise is the RDX and maybe the MDX.

Last edited by mathnerd88; 08-25-2019 at 10:40 PM.
Old 08-25-2019 | 10:58 PM
Null and proud of it

I like Infinitis, but being backed by Nissan/Renault/Jatco doesn't make me feel better about them...

That being said, they make some fast sedans and SUVs.

Didn't the Q50 sedan go back to Hydrologic Steering after the full electronic steering failed enthusiasts a few years ago.
Old 08-26-2019 | 07:39 AM
AZ Community Team

Originally Posted by Midnight Mystery
I like Infinitis, but being backed by Nissan/Renault/Jatco doesn't make me feel better about them...

That being said, they make some fast sedans and SUVs.

Didn't the Q50 sedan go back to Hydrologic Steering after the full electronic steering failed enthusiasts a few years ago.
Personally, I think Infiniti has a lot of potential but they lost focused and they aren't going to recover in the next 2 years for sure. Their brand new QX50 failed miserably (again I am saying, if you fail in this segment, there is something wrong with your brand). The QX30, which should have been a smash hit, failed and discontinued. So what left for Infiniti?

Q50 & Q60: Moderate success but nothing wow. The Q50 400HP should have been another smash hit with that price point. At least $10-15K cheaper than Germans and yet Infiniti can't sell it.
QX60: honestly it's a great family car and I think it's doing well considering it's a 5-6-year-old model. It's the only 7 passenger vehicle that competes with MDX. Again, Infiniti sells a lot of QX60s to car rentals. I am not sure how to measure that success.

At this point, Infiniti doesn't have anything that impresses me. But I did hear that Infiniti wants to produce electric cars. Let's wait and see.

At least Acura has the RDX and MDX at the moment and we all know the new TLX, Type S and MDX are on the way. Acura should take care of the ILX and RLX, then we are good to go
Old 08-26-2019 | 10:49 AM
AZ Community Team

Not long ago, Acura was in the same position as Infiniti, so I wouldn't count them out just yet. Infiniti has already announced a new infotainment system featuring 12-15" screens in their cars beginning next year. This would be a significant upgrade.

https://thewomenjournal.com/2019/03/...er-and-jaguar/
https://www.motorauthority.com/news/...ainment-system

I've owned both Infiniti and Acura cars, and Infiniti quality has traditionally been better. If you compare Acura's older infotainment system, Infiniti's is leaps better. Just wait until the next gen comes out. IMHO, the only Acura vehicles that's actually better than a comparable Infiniti spec-wise is the RDX and maybe the MDX.

Congrats brother! Infiniti made a new Key FOB. I am sure this will lead to more success and sales. Now Infiniti's is guaranteed!
Old 08-26-2019 | 03:07 PM
Pro

Congrats brother! Infiniti made a new Key FOB. I am sure this will lead to more success and sales. Now Infiniti's is guaranteed!
I have no idea what you're talking about...and yes, a new infotainment system with 12-15 inch screens will be bigger than that on the RDX. With what the RDX lacks, Infiniti will make sure it won't happen on their vehicles. Every manufacturer learns from each other; what to do, what not to do.
Old 08-26-2019 | 06:18 PM
AZ Community Team

I have no idea what you're talking about...and yes, a new infotainment system with 12-15 inch screens will be bigger than that on the RDX. With what the RDX lacks, Infiniti will make sure it won't happen on their vehicles. Every manufacturer learns from each other; what to do, what not to do.
I am dead serious. Infiniti made a new key fob lol. Check the 2020 QX60 key fob.

It will lead to some success, no?
The following users liked this post:
WTF.Acura (08-26-2019)
Old 08-26-2019 | 07:58 PM
Instructor

I am dead serious. Infiniti made a new key fob lol. Check the 2020 QX60 key fob.

It will lead to some success, no?
I saw it in a Car Confections Review of the 2020 QX60. I was shocked tbh I though Infiniti/Nissan wouldn’t get rid of that key fob since they been using it since like 2004 .( year is not exact)
Old 08-26-2019 | 08:09 PM
Instructor

The QX50 is a flop compared to its competitors, while Audi, Acura, MB, BMW, Volvo, and etc are moving 3,500 - 4,500+ units, Infiniti is only moving 1,500 QX50’s those numbers are just laughable especially in the segment that the QX50 competes in.
QX50- 10,425 down 2.3% from last year
RDX- 35,115 up 6.6% from last year
For every 1 QX50 Infiniti sell, Acura sells 3 RDX’s.
( exact number 3.368 it’s a continuous decimal)

Last edited by WTF.Acura; 08-26-2019 at 08:11 PM.
Old 08-26-2019 | 08:18 PM
Instructor

mathnerd88
I think that’s a problem that faces both Acura and Infiniti, they take to long to release new products so by the time their new product hits the market it’s already out dated because the competitors release something newer and better.
For example, the TLX type-s was spied testing against the s4 Avant, c43, and something else. If we Acura wait two years to release the type-s the car that they original benchmark the type-s against will probably be updated to produce more hp and torque.

Last edited by WTF.Acura; 08-26-2019 at 08:22 PM.
RDX10 (08-27-2019)
Old 08-26-2019 | 08:35 PM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by WTF.Acura
mathnerd88
I think that’s a problem that faces both Acura and Infiniti, they take to long to release new products so by the time their new product hits the market it’s already out dated because the competitors release something newer and better.
For example, the TLX type-s was spied testing against the s4 Avant, c43, and something else. If we Acura wait two years to release the type-s the car that they original benchmark the type-s against will probably be updated to produce more hp and torque.
The sad thing is that those cars have already been updated. Since we saw the test mule, the C43 AMG was bumped up to 385HP last year, the M340i is now a new generation with 382hp, and we're waiting word on what the update to the S4 will be.
WTF.Acura (08-26-2019)
Old 08-26-2019 | 09:45 PM
Pro

mathnerd88
I agree. I feel like the Acura RDX will be outdated very soon. There's really nothing special going for it compared to other manufacturers. I'm already jealous of the Mercedes's, Audi's, and BMW's full LCD displays for the instrument cluster and their infotainment systems. They have a lot more features going for it than Acura and it always feels like Acura is playing "catch up" compared to other luxury manufacturers. In fact, even Hyundai has features that surpass Acura and also has the full LCD instrument cluster.

In 2018, Acura did release a CUV that was new and feels pretty awesome owning one and felt like it was a nice refresh. However, now it feels outdated to me. I'm hoping that Infiniti will come up with something amazing in the next year or two that differentiates it.

Last edited by mathnerd88; 08-26-2019 at 09:53 PM.
WTF.Acura (08-26-2019)
Old 08-26-2019 | 10:06 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by fiatlux
The sad thing is that those cars have already been updated. Since we saw the test mule, the C43 AMG was bumped up to 385HP last year, the M340i is now a new generation with 382hp, and we're waiting word on what the update to the S4 will be.
It’s like they take one step forward and two step back, like why didn’t Acura just use to 3.5tt they use in the Pike Peak TLX instead of “ making a new dedicated v6t.” I’m pretty sure that the engine in the Pike Peak TLX is the same one in the production TLX but with 2 turbos slapped on it. The same think with the rdx if they can get 350 hp out of the 2.0t, why didn’t they just release a 320 hp type-s version for the mean time.
Old 08-26-2019 | 10:11 PM
Instructor

I agree. I feel like the Acura RDX will be outdated very soon. There's really nothing special going for it compared to other manufacturers. I'm already jealous of the Mercedes's, Audi's, and BMW's full LCD displays for the instrument cluster and their infotainment systems. They have a lot more features going for it than Acura and it always feels like Acura is playing "catch up" compared to other luxury manufacturers. In fact, even Hyundai has features that surpass Acura and also has the full LCD instrument cluster.

In 2018, Acura did release a CUV that was new and feels pretty awesome owning one and felt like it was a nice refresh. However, now it feels outdated to me. I'm hoping that Infiniti will come up with something amazing in the next year or two that differentiates it.
I think the RDX mid-cycle refresh is for MY2022, but I’m not sure. The last 2 generations of RDX have been on a 6 year cycle.
Old 08-27-2019 | 04:35 AM
Suzuka Master

The QX50 is a flop compared to its competitors, while Audi, Acura, MB, BMW, Volvo, and etc are moving 3,500 - 4,500+ units, Infiniti is only moving 1,500 QX50’s those numbers are just laughable especially in the segment that the QX50 competes in.
QX50- 10,425 down 2.3% from last year
RDX- 35,115 up 6.6% from last year
For every 1 QX50 Infiniti sell, Acura sells 3 RDX’s.
( exact number 3.368 it’s a continuous decimal)
I think something you guys are overlooking is that the QX50 is selling in low numbers because of the price. The vast majority of consumers don't care that it's fwd based or has a CVT or variable compression engine or even that the infotainment system is old. They simply care about price and the QX50 is priced too high and into German territory. A RDX advanced is 48k, a QX50 essential AWD with all the packages is 59k!

Make no mistake, the RDX would be in the exact same position if it was priced similarly. I suspect Infiniti is going to do a massive price reduction next model year as well as some package shuffling and we're going to see the scales shift back. Fwiw the 2019 QX50 is WAY nicer inside materials wise than the RDX, they did a fantastic job with it IMO.

Last edited by RDX10; 08-27-2019 at 04:46 AM.
Old 08-27-2019 | 06:09 AM
Pro

Originally Posted by RDX10
I think something you guys are overlooking is that the QX50 is selling in low numbers because of the price. The vast majority of consumers don't care that it's fwd based or has a CVT or variable compression engine or even that the infotainment system is old. They simply care about price and the QX50 is priced too high and into German territory. A RDX advanced is 48k, a QX50 essential AWD with all the packages is 59k!

Make no mistake, the RDX would be in the exact same position if it was priced similarly. I suspect Infiniti is going to do a massive price reduction next model year as well as some package shuffling and we're going to see the scales shift back. Fwiw the 2019 QX50 is WAY nicer inside materials wise than the RDX, they did a fantastic job with it IMO.
That’s what I’ve been saying! I completely agree and if Infiniti just brings the price down into RDX’s territory it will sell more! I think they just priced it high because of the new engine tech they put in that vehicle.

I find Infiniti’s interior design better than Acura’s with better quality, with the exception of the infotainment system but that’s being overhauled next year. In fact, the older infotainment they have was way better than last gen Acura infotainment system. They were I believe one of the first to have the bird’s eye view navigation system.

The QX50 has the interior LED strip present on the Benz and BMW’s that’s not present in the RDX.

Last edited by mathnerd88; 08-27-2019 at 06:15 AM.
Old 08-27-2019 | 07:04 AM
Instructor

I’m certain that majority of the qx50 sold are base to mid level trim which are in the same price bracket as the RDX and Infiniti gives more incentives than Acura.
Old 08-27-2019 | 07:18 AM
Pro

I’m certain that majority of the qx50 sold are base to mid level trim which are in the same price bracket as the RDX and Infiniti gives more incentives than Acura.
True, but majority of buyers aren’t looking at incentives before they come to the dealer. If I see that a fully loaded QX50 costs $60k and a fully loaded comparable RDX is $48k which do you think I’ll be going for? The CUV was definitely priced out of the market for majority of buyers. I would’ve gone for the BMW instead if I had that much money.

The reason I chose the RDX over the QX50 was precisely just that. I didn’t even bother with incentives or check them. I didn’t even bother test driving or going into the Infiniti dealer because it was too expensive to me. I didn’t know such incentives existed especially on a new model year vehicle. I would’ve definitely considered QX50 if that was the case. I’m betting that people who bought the QX50 actually wanted to. The RDX to me was just more of an impulse buy because of its value. I didn’t even test drive other CUV’s in its class because of how cheap it is compared to others. Acura could definitely raise the MSRP on their RDX. They need the extra money to develop a much more stable infotainment system.

Infiniti should have lowered the MSRP to be within range of RDX. I’ve seen the QX50 in person while driving my RDX and thought that the car looked better on the outside. The rear was definitely better looking with full LED turn signals and the front has a better DRL LED design that had switchback to yellow when turn signals are activated.

Not to bash on AcuraZine, but it seems that the people on the Infiniti forums are much more helpful and less ‘troll’ than the people on here. Even the Facebook RDX group some are leaving. There’s an alarming number of people on here and on Facebook saying they won’t consider Acura in their future purchases.

Last edited by mathnerd88; 08-27-2019 at 07:32 AM.
Old 08-27-2019 | 07:40 AM
Drifting

The two or three times I tested Infinits (not the qx50), I came away enjoying the car, but not at that price point.
Old 08-27-2019 | 07:44 AM
AZ Community Team

You are correct! Germans move way too fast and they have a lot of funds to keep their models up to date. Sadly, Acura and Infiniti don't have the funds and support from their parent companies. That being said, Acura planned it very well.
1. Released the RDX as a 2019 model with decent features and design.
2. In 2020, it will be refreshed and most likely the HUD, digital dash and maybe the new headlights will be new features. This will keep the RDX one of the best sellers. This is not my opinion but Acura has done twice. First with the current MDX and the second with the previous generation RDX.

Also, Acura or Infiniti will never be able to match the Germans. The number of cars worldwide these two companies sell aren't substantial to build and update new cars every 2 years.
Old 08-27-2019 | 07:50 AM
AZ Community Team

It's very possible in the US but in Canada, the price difference between the top RDX and QX50 is less than 3K.

Also, Infiniti should have been smart like Acura and studied the market and price their car properly. Infiniti claiming that they are the most luxurious and sports cars won't get them anywhere. They know their customers are middle-class or higher middle-class Americans and Canadians. Those who can afford $65-70K (at least in Canada) won't buy Infiniti. They will go straight to MB or BMW dealership. This is the reality. People buy a badge and not just the car. It's sad but it's the truth.

Infiniti missed the boat this time and hope they learn their mistake and bounce back.
Old 08-27-2019 | 07:57 AM
AZ Community Team

Not to bash on AcuraZine, but it seems that the people on the Infiniti forums are much more helpful and less ‘troll’ than the people on here.
OMG!!! I have been twice to Infiniti forum before buying an Acura. They are in la la land. They think Infiniti is better than Ferrari lol. Anyway, as I said before, let's wait until Infiniti build something solid to be able to compete with Acura. There is no point we are predicting that Infiniti will build this and that. We haven't seen anything yet. We can sit and build a bunch of excuses like the price is high, infotainment is not good or the CVT isn't selling. The results are poor. Let's not act like those students, who don't study and fail the class, then blame the teacher, the exam, the rainy day and etc. Let's enjoy the success of the RDX and the buzz of Type S.
Old 08-27-2019 | 06:51 PM
Suzuka Master

That’s what I’ve been saying! I completely agree and if Infiniti just brings the price down into RDX’s territory it will sell more! I think they just priced it high because of the new engine tech they put in that vehicle.

I find Infiniti’s interior design better than Acura’s with better quality, with the exception of the infotainment system but that’s being overhauled next year. In fact, the older infotainment they have was way better than last gen Acura infotainment system. They were I believe one of the first to have the bird’s eye view navigation system.

The QX50 has the interior LED strip present on the Benz and BMW’s that’s not present in the RDX.
The QX50 interior is WAY higher quality than the RDX and to me looks much better too. It's more classic luxury feeling. If they drop the price and fix that infotainment system, it will be selling WAY better. It's a good product, just priced itself out of the market.

The base to mid level trims have less features than the comparable RDX. That is why they sell less, your comment actually supports my theory of why they're selling less models, it's all about price.

It's very possible in the US but in Canada, the price difference between the top RDX and QX50 is less than 3K.

Also, Infiniti should have been smart like Acura and studied the market and price their car properly. Infiniti claiming that they are the most luxurious and sports cars won't get them anywhere. They know their customers are middle-class or higher middle-class Americans and Canadians. Those who can afford $65-70K (at least in Canada) won't buy Infiniti. They will go straight to MB or BMW dealership. This is the reality. People buy a badge and not just the car. It's sad but it's the truth.

Infiniti missed the boat this time and hope they learn their mistake and bounce back.
I actually noticed that too when configuring on the Canadian and U.S websites (I'm Canadian too btw) and you are correct, in Canada it is a differential of about 3k. But your sales numbers are U.S based and not Canada based. We make up a tiny portion of sales in comparison to the U.S regardless.

If the biggest mistake they made was price, that's actually the best type of mistake to make. It means the car itself isn't the issue and that they can easily tweak numbers to lower that price and push sales volumes up.

The RDX is selling purely on value. It's a great car don't get me wrong, but if it was as expensive as the QX50 it would sell nothing.
Old 08-27-2019 | 10:48 PM
Pro

The QX50 interior is WAY higher quality than the RDX and to me looks much better too. It's more classic luxury feeling. If they drop the price and fix that infotainment system, it will be selling WAY better. It's a good product, just priced itself out of the market.
I completely agree. The interior and exterior design definitely blow the RDX out of the water. All it really needs is a new infotainment system with 12-15" screens planned for next year. The QX50 even has the climate controls for the rear passenger seats!

Last edited by mathnerd88; 08-27-2019 at 10:59 PM.
Old 08-27-2019 | 11:07 PM
Suzuka Master

I completely agree. The interior and exterior design definitely blow the RDX out of the water. All it really needs is a new infotainment system with 12-15" screens planned for next year. The QX50 even has the climate controls for the rear passenger seats!

As sick as it looks in this pic, even this pic does it no justice. It's hands down a much much nicer interior, the attention to detail is top notch. Stitching and soft touch materials everywhere.

Get the pricing right and the infotainment updated and this thing will sell like hot cakes.
Old 08-28-2019 | 06:26 AM
AZ Community Team

Please do some research and jut don’t post something for the sake of it. If infotainment and bigger screen would have been the only reasons for QX50s, success. The story would have been different. There are much bigger issues with QX50.

1. New engine
2. Handling
3. Overall Nissan’s reliability (at least perceived)
4. Pricing
5. CVT

i am not arguing with you but I am outlining you the facts. If you want to prove a point, do your research and find out why? I promise you, it will be easier.

a few days ago, I asked a few questions and you didn’t answer me. Why QX30 failed? Who should we blame there? It got rave reviews and people said it’s a better car than GLA. Yet it got discontinued.

Last edited by Tony Pac; 08-28-2019 at 06:30 AM.
Old 08-28-2019 | 07:47 AM
AZ Community Team

I actually noticed that too when configuring on the Canadian and U.S websites (I'm Canadian too btw) and you are correct, in Canada it is a differential of about 3k. But your sales numbers are U.S based and not Canada based. We make up a tiny portion of sales in comparison to the U.S regardless.

If the biggest mistake they made was price, that's actually the best type of mistake to make. It means the car itself isn't the issue and that they can easily tweak numbers to lower that price and push sales volumes up.

The RDX is selling purely on value. It's a great car don't get me wrong, but if it was as expensive as the QX50 it would sell nothing.
Agreed! The Canadian market is much smaller but I am always wondering why the price difference is smaller in Canada vs US.
I think Acura was very clear from day one that the RDX is the perfect package....you get a great sports SUV with premium material that will be able to compete with Germans but much cheaper. If you remember Acura put the RDX against Q5, XC60, GLC, and X3 at the press release. That was a very smart move and they proved it to the journalists that the RDX is a better package compared to the Germans. Acura did not even bother to compare the vehicle with NX and QX50.

Btw - which part of Canada? I am from Monreal.
Old 08-28-2019 | 08:44 AM
Pro

@Tony Pac
I personally had the QX30 loaner when I dropped off my G37 for service. It was not a bad vehicle. I wouldn’t buy it because I would rather buy a sedan than a subcompact CUV.

The reason why I think it didn’t do well because the market didn’t want that type of vehicle. It is a subcompact crossover that really didn’t have an appeal. Nissan canceled the Juke because of the same problem.

There are many manufacturers that also were trying to sell this class of vehicle including the Lexus UX, which is also not selling well. Do you see the Honda HRV being popular? Or the Toyota C-HR?

It’s not the vehicle itself, just that the market doesn’t want this type of vehicle. I see this type of vehicle more popular in Europe.

Anyways, it seems like you’re just being biased. There’s no need to bash the QX30 when other manufacturers are facing the same problem. You know the subcompact CUV is a niche market.

Last edited by mathnerd88; 08-28-2019 at 08:53 AM.
Old 08-28-2019 | 08:58 AM
AZ Community Team

@Tony Pac
I personally had the QX30 when I dropped off my G37 for service.

The reason why I think it didn’t do well because the market didn’t want that type of vehicle. It is a subcompact crossover that really didn’t have an appeal. Nissan canceled the Nissan Juke because of the same problem.

There are many manufacturers that also were trying to sell this class of vehicle including the Lexus UX, which is also failing. Do you see the Honda HRV being popular?

It’s not the vehicle itself, just that the market doesn’t want this type of vehicle.
lol!
At the moment, UX, GLA, Q3, X1, X2 and XC40 are not discontinued, so let's not defocus from the topic. QX30 was the first one to get chopped. Is that normal for you? Almost 9-10K units of UX, XC40 are sold YTD. How can you say it's not selling. UX and QX50 have almost the same number so far for the year. If Infiniti had 10-15 vehicles in their lineup, I would have understood. But they have 5-6 vehicles and chopping QX30 won't help them.

Again, I respect your opinion. If you want to believe that Infiniti is very successful and killing it. Good for you brother! I hope pushing 120-130K units per year make Infiniti more successful. Last but not least, hope Infiniti's QX55 continues selling just like the QX50 = 1700-1800 units per month.

I want Acura to sell just like RDX and MDX....50-60K units of each per year and the TLX adds to that success. I guess you and I see success differently.
Old 08-28-2019 | 09:02 AM
AZ Community Team

If you consider me biased, fair enough! I am not but you can convince me with facts and not just he said or she said.
I invite you to follow these two sites:
Auto Sales Data | Canada & the USA | GoodCarBadCar.net
http://carsalesbase.com/

You will learn the car trends, success, and failure. I like data, facts, proves. I rarely go with just my opinion. I will never come and say the RLX isn't selling because it's too expensive or people don't buy those full-size sedans. To some extent, it's true but the RLX not selling has many more reasons to it. So, I am not sure if you can call me biased
Old 08-28-2019 | 10:07 AM
Drifting

From what I've read, the reviews of the QX50 mostly mentioned the new "variable engine" connected to the "variable trans" causing the car often to be confused on what to do. The variable compression engine and CVT didn't actually accomplish the goals of better performance with improved economy.
I visited an Infinity dealer before deciding on the RDX...was somewhat impressed with the interior, didn't like the dual info. screens...(or no possibility of Android Auto)... but the actual drive and pricing was a complete turn off. I didn't see it as a direct competitor to the RDX, more comfy (perhaps), less handling. I suspect it is better shopped against the Lincolns.
Old 08-28-2019 | 01:05 PM
Racer

I personally think current Infinii SUVs are not selling well because they are simply awfully ugly. I remember the older models (FX series) looked very sharp and sold very well despite being cramped and having poor gas mileage. They had a certain distinctive sporty presence on the road that set them apart from all other SUVs. They were also powerful and handled competently. The new ones look ridiculous with all the folds and creases and Buick-like proportions. Basically, tug-boats with wheels and bling.
Old 08-28-2019 | 01:09 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by Madd Dog
The two or three times I tested Infinits (not the qx50), I came away enjoying the car, but not at that price point.
Of their CUV/SUV line, the one I would vouch for because I own it is the FX...but, that's discontinued. So, they got nothing that appeals overall IMO in that area.

Of their sedans/car line, only the Q50 and Q60 would get my vote as compelling options. That being said though, I would say Infiniti is in a rut. Their flagship Q70 is severely dated and can't compete against the BMW 5, Audi A6, or Merc E-Class...
Old 08-28-2019 | 01:10 PM
Senior Moderator

They were yammering about the Eau Rouge trim for their Q50 as some M-fighter but that has gone crickets. Why Infiniti does not do an upscale version of the GT-R is peculiar to me.

Quick Reply: After the mega flop QX50, Infiniti is coming with QX55!