Acura RDX ASPEC Loaner experience - my 12 TL is in for service.

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2018, 10:32 AM
Instructor

Received 35 Likes on 23 Posts
Acura RDX ASPEC Loaner experience - my 12 TL is in for service.

WOW

Finally a luxury sports car *cough* i mean SUV. This thing handles better than my TL very little body roll, power is amazing, that 10 speed auto is like a machine gun. It really begs you to speed.

I have a 13 RDX and a 12TL for reference. They defiantly have the "It's just a nicer Honda" label. This new RDX is miles above the Honda CRV in virtually every way. My sister in law has a 2015 touring I helped her buy a few years back.

Very happy with the direction of Acura and the sales numbers prove it.

Positives:
Got pulled over day 1. So sporty looking is confirm by the police. Haven't be pulled over since my old Mustang days.
20's look amazing compared to the Advance wheels.
Cooled seats actually work.
Lakes Keep assist works great.
Adaptive Cruise works great.
Power, 270ish HP + 10 Speed really destorys my 3.7l v6 rated at 310. Turbo is way more fun to drive.
Engine growl, don't care if it's fake I love it.
Carplay working great, brother in law have waze running in under 3 min.
Sound system is fantastic.

Negatives:
I want my damn power folding mirrors! (USA)
I which they had 3 trim levels, BASE, TECH, ADVANCE then add the A-SPEC as a package to either the TECH or ADVANCED. Maybe the next mid-cycle refresh. Maybe that's going to be the Type-S, basically the Advanced with the A-Spec appearance with a bigger engine. That would make most people happy.
Cup holders should have the little flexy pieces in there to hold smaller cups, but the are much deeper than my TL so maybe that was their reasoning behind not having them.

A-SPEC vs ADVANCED:
Seats - Advanced seat adjustments show up on the screen, in the A-SPEC they do not. Also the seats are more comfortable to me in the Advanced trim. 12 way vs 16 way.
Suspension - Comfort mode in the advance feel closer to on old Cadillac due to the active dampers. A-Spec does not.
HUD is cool.
Rear heated seats, meh.
Foot activated gate is nice for the grocery runs.
Wood trim is actually nice, I personally hate wood trim makes me think the car is for old people for some reason.
Suede trim on the dash, not a fan. I saw someone wrap it with Carbon fiber like my TL IMO looks way better and they should offer that instead.
Heated Steering wheel, nice not a deal breaker for me. I feel like this is one of those things that once you have it you cant go back.
Camera Washer, don't have to like my thumb in the winter and wipe it. I feel like this would be a standard feature.
Red ambient lighting is cool in the RDX but the should make it selectable with several color options. Plenty of LED's can do multi color.
Sensors vs surround view camera. I think both are fine, cameras are nice for me pulling into the garage.

I just hate having to chose 1 over the other. Wish I had both or i'll wait until the Type-S comes out.
Old 10-24-2018, 10:45 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 45 Likes on 32 Posts
I have an RDX Advance loaner while my 09 TL SH-AWD is in for service

I agree with most of above

fast, great fake exhaust sound in sport +, TORQUE

wow
Old 10-24-2018, 11:02 AM
Drifting

Received 1,026 Likes on 716 Posts
I am very well pleased with my Tech, and I am coming from a BMW 535. The 4 is not, obviously, as smooth as the twin turbo straight six, but it has good power, and under acceleration, the SH AWD is great.
Old 10-24-2018, 11:27 AM
Instructor

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts
We had a Tech loaner while our 12 TL was in for service and ended up buying an RDX Advance the next weekend (once I tracked down an SH-AWD in the color combo we wanted). The TL was nice, and I bought it new, but at 160k miles it was beginning to feel dated and tired. I love my wife's RDX though, very few complaints.
Old 10-24-2018, 12:42 PM
Drifting

Strange as it seems, if the Advance had folding mirrors, that would have tipped the balance for me.

To each his own.
Old 10-28-2018, 10:22 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 90 Likes on 52 Posts
We also had SH-AWD Tech as a loaner while our 2014 TL SH-AWD was in the shop. Both my wife and I came away very impressed to the point that we are considering it as a replacement for the TL. If I were to gripe about something, it would be the engine sound and overall the 4 banger feel and responsiveness, but I guess that is a norm that we need to live in in that price and size category now.
Old 10-29-2018, 02:39 PM
Instructor

Received 35 Likes on 23 Posts
The engine noise is a very personal acceptance.

I come from a sporty background. Supercharged v8 Mustang with a loopy cam and full exhaust. So the RDX engine noise is so minor to me and I like the sound personally.

My last few cars, 2 Honda accords and my current Acura TL are very quite. Honda / Acura is creating a clear separation of the brands IMO.

Honda = Eco, Value and Reliability.

Acura (starting with the RDX) = Luxury, Sport and Comfort.
Old 10-29-2018, 03:10 PM
EFR
Burning Brakes

Received 254 Likes on 183 Posts
There must be a good reason for the 'no folding mirrors in the U.S.' thing....but what could it be?
Old 10-29-2018, 03:46 PM
Drifting

Bucks.

Different people have different options they would like to have, and including them all pushes the price up.

An electrically adjustable steering wheel allows it to be included in the driver’s profile, along with the seats and mirrors, add that. Heated, too. Etc., etc.

They had to draw a line somewhere to hit their price point.