Acura RDX Advance vs Subaru Outback Touring

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2018, 01:48 PM
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Acura RDX Advance vs Subaru Outback Touring

You can laugh at me if this a crazy comparision however I'm looking at these two cars (top of the line for these models). These cars are about 10k difference in price. Do you think the 10k difference is worth it?
Old 10-11-2018, 01:53 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 257 Likes on 177 Posts
Having owned both (although the Touring wasn't available when I had my Outback) IMO it's a no-brainer decision - well worth the additional 10K unless you'd really be stretching your budget, in which case you probably shouldn't be considering an Acura in the first place.
The following 2 users liked this post by MI-RDX:
37tzee (10-12-2018), securityguy (10-11-2018)
Old 10-11-2018, 02:28 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 169 Likes on 125 Posts
I am a Subaru Ambassador and own two Subaru's. Apples and Oranges. Subaru makes a great vehicle and their AWD system is awesome but they have nothing in common that would have me cross shop them. Best of luck with whatever you decide but I'd select the RDX myself based on factors that are important to me. What's important to you?
Old 10-11-2018, 02:42 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 279 Likes on 183 Posts
I considered the 6-cylinder Outback several times over the years. I don't care for the CVT, but I might have been able to tolerate it. I also didn't like that ventilated seats aren't available. Again, not necessarily a deal-breaker. What I really couldn't tolerate is the overly jumpy throttle. Every sample I tested leaped forward aggressively even with mild throttle application. It's as if Subaru engineers thought they could make up for the car's lack of power by making it feel faster from a stop. To me, it's as annoying as auto stop/start, but without the ability to override it.

I dig wagons, the Outback's size is ideal for my needs, it's great in snow, and I actually find it to be an attractive vehicle. Plus, resale value is phenomenal. While not for me, I would never fault somebody for choosing an Outback. If Subaru gives it the Ascent's turbocharged engine and addresses the throttle issue when it's redesigned, I'll return for yet another test drive.
Old 10-11-2018, 03:30 PM
Drifting

Received 1,025 Likes on 715 Posts
You absolutely have to drive them back to back on the same day to determine if it is worth $10K to you. We went back and forth with this question regarding a Honda Accord 2.0 Touring. After driving both, the RDX was worth the extra $10 K to us. This is a value choice, and nobody knows how you value things but you.
Old 10-11-2018, 03:46 PM
Racer

Received 46 Likes on 36 Posts
I was going to buy the 2018 Forester XT top of the line model that Subaru is giving huge discount with 0% APR, but after driven the RDX A-Spec AWD, I ended up with the RDX.
The OTD price between the two is about $10k as you pointed out.
Forester is nice and quie, but RDX's build material is just much better. Is it $10k better? That is something that you would need to decide.
The following users liked this post:
37tzee (10-12-2018)
Old 10-12-2018, 07:20 AM
Advanced

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
I actually cross-shopped an Outback, Wrangler Unlimited, and A Tacoma Off Road for a daily driver and car to access the beach with. Picked the Tacoma.

The Outback is a nice car, but doesn't come close to an Acura.
Old 10-12-2018, 11:04 AM
Cruisin'

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by subin
I was going to buy the 2018 Forester XT top of the line model that Subaru is giving huge discount with 0% APR, but after driven the RDX A-Spec AWD, I ended up with the RDX.
The OTD price between the two is about $10k as you pointed out.
Forester is nice and quie, but RDX's build material is just much better. Is it $10k better? That is something that you would need to decide.
same here. I was almost set on getting the 2018 Forester xt touring, but ended up with an RDX awd aspec. After a few test drives, the choice was clear. Haven't driven the outback though...
Old 10-12-2018, 11:06 AM
Azine Jabroni

Received 2,159 Likes on 1,387 Posts
For me, the Subaru would be a no-brainer, but I use vehicles that size to transport dogs. Otherwise, I would probably want the RDX but the Subaru is still great.
Old 10-17-2018, 03:04 PM
1st Gear

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post
I've owned both in the last year!

Ooooh I can answer this one!

In November 2017 I bought a 2018 Subaru Outback 3.6R Touring. I promptly traded it in for a 2019 RDX SH-AWD Advance in June after a myriad of problems, barely 7 months later. The Outback had been my third Subaru and will be my last. The problems I had experienced with the Outback include:
1. Key fob would not function while the hazard lights were on (that required a complete vehicle software reinstall just so I could unlock my car reliably).
2. Speakers were wired improperly and created electrical interference noise.
3. The power window buttons would not function, then started functioning again only when the window lock button was ENGAGED.
4. Every 5 days or so, the head unit and speakers would not turn on at all. They would continue to not work until I left the car off and out of range of my key fob for a day. That means no radio, no apple car play, no navigation display or audio, no accessing the settings, no backup camera.
5. The seats, while beautiful in that lovely shade of Java Brown, were stiff as hell and hard on my back and legs. The seat bottom is way too short.
6. Subaru Starlink emergency services sent me an e-mail stating that the system could no longer connect to the Starlink service.
7. Subaru Eyesight safety features would intermittently not work... this was the big one. Last thing I need is a malfunctioning emergency braking system.

There are just a few cons to consider if you're choosing the RDX over the Outback:
1. The rear seats of the RDX are still firmly in the "compact" class in terms of legroom. They're not ideal, but definitely usable. As professional reviews have stated, the back seats of the RDX are very low to accommodate that sloping roof line and panoramic moon roof. This seems to be the one con that almost all of the RDX's glowing reviews have touched on. I'm 5'7" and I find them too short and uncomfortable. My wife is 5"2' and finds them perfectly comfortable, however. They're still more padded than the Outback's terrible seats, however.
2. The touchpad interface, infotainment system, HUD, and system software are all brand new on the RDX. As such, anyone who buys a 2019 is essentially beta testing for Acura. There are tons of problems and bugs with it, but coming from a Subaru whose infotainment system would shut down for hours on end have tempered my expectations. The touchpad is incredible for the most part however. It is so much easier and safer to change stations and tracks while driving. I've actually reached the point where I don't even have to look at the screen at all when switching SXM stations. I feel like I would be disappointed in the lack of true touch pad interface if I ever upgraded to a more luxurious offering from Lexus, Volvo or the like.
3. Coming from the Outback, the RDX ride is BUMPY. A Lincoln or a Lexus this is not. I live in a major city and dealing with potholes, speed bumps and poorly maintained parking lots is uncomfortable in the RDX. Even in comfort mode, it feels like you're driving a car that is very sporty, but just short of luxury. There is significant body roll and nose dive. The RDX is a shorter wheel base than the Outback, and rides on 19" wheels instead of the Outback's 18". This is for sure a car better suited for the suburbs, where it glides over smooth roads with ease. When you test drive the RDX or ANY car nowadays, make sure you find somewhere to drive over that isn't a flawlessly maintained suburban road right outside the dealership. It seems to be an industry standard that all luxury car brands are putting larger wheels on their cars. The current luxury market values sportiness, handling and bold looks over comfort. I am considering talking to my dealer about the possibility of putting the Gray A-Spec or Black Berlina 18" accessory wheels from the 2019 ILX onto my RDX, and getting some nice thick tires.
4. Not a con, but the larger Outback obviously has more cargo space than the RDX. The RDX's cargo space is every so slightly above average for the segment, and has suited all of my needs for home and business so far. It is almost the same amount of space as my old Forester. A long road trip or a big supply run at the office supply store could tax the RDX's available cargo space. It still handily beats the anemic cargo space offerings in Lexus's crossovers!

That all being said, the RDX has a ton of positives that I did not expect to love in this car. The many glowing reviews have covered all of the great things about the RDX, but here are some things that really stood out for me coming from the Outback:
1. Acura's new seats may be the most comfortable in the industry. Advance package 16 way seats or bust.
2. The SH-AWD on the RDX feels confident and grounded, and just CUTS through rain better than my Subarus ever did. I have yet to try it in the snow, but I'm pretty sure no one here has been able to do that yet!
3. The sound system!
4. The moonroof!
5. The attention to detail in this car is far beyond anything I've ever seen from Acura. People do not believe they're sitting in an Acura when they sit in the 2019 RDX for the first time. The high end materials and varoius features really help redefine Acura. The wine compartment in the cargo area is infinitely useful. It's those little superfluous things that really help it stand out.

On the whole, the 2019 Acura RDX Advance is a huge improvement and was worth not only the 10k higher price tag, but the additional 10k I lost trading in a brand new Outback. I hope this text wall helps!
The following 6 users liked this post by OtherBarry:
B25Nut (10-17-2018), Bmosbacker (11-16-2019), Jim7707 (10-17-2018), OliveBread (10-18-2018), Stew4HD (10-18-2018), subin (10-18-2018) and 1 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 10-23-2018, 08:15 AM
Racer

Received 66 Likes on 58 Posts
Currently have a 2016 2.5 Limited Outback....Quite enjoy it. I recently test drove the 3.6R Touring.....2019 is the lasy yr of the 3.6R.....I was rather disappointed in the 3.6R....reading people on the subaru forums, maybe I came away with the wrong impression,lol Yes a bit more oomph, but not a whole lot. I recently had a rental mustang....pretty boring 2.3L engine, but I liked the heated Steering wheel (wish I had that growin up in Northern Canada) and ventilated seats! The heated steering wheel on the Touring OB is only heated at 10/2 o'clock positions....pretty sure on the RDX it is all the way around. No ventilated seats on the OB....The Ascent top of the line model does have heated seats and prices about the same as a fully loaded RDX....but it is a bigger vehicle..but sure felt nice when I sat in it. Cant really compare a $45000 vehicle to a $35000 vehicle...the little I test drove a RDX, it was very different than the OB
Old 11-16-2019, 04:20 PM
Instructor

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts
Originally Posted by OtherBarry
Ooooh I can answer this one!

In November 2017 I bought a 2018 Subaru Outback 3.6R Touring. I promptly traded it in for a 2019 RDX SH-AWD Advance in June after a myriad of problems, barely 7 months later. The Outback had been my third Subaru and will be my last. The problems I had experienced with the Outback include:
1. Key fob would not function while the hazard lights were on (that required a complete vehicle software reinstall just so I could unlock my car reliably).
2. Speakers were wired improperly and created electrical interference noise.
3. The power window buttons would not function, then started functioning again only when the window lock button was ENGAGED.
4. Every 5 days or so, the head unit and speakers would not turn on at all. They would continue to not work until I left the car off and out of range of my key fob for a day. That means no radio, no apple car play, no navigation display or audio, no accessing the settings, no backup camera.
5. The seats, while beautiful in that lovely shade of Java Brown, were stiff as hell and hard on my back and legs. The seat bottom is way too short.
6. Subaru Starlink emergency services sent me an e-mail stating that the system could no longer connect to the Starlink service.
7. Subaru Eyesight safety features would intermittently not work... this was the big one. Last thing I need is a malfunctioning emergency braking system.

There are just a few cons to consider if you're choosing the RDX over the Outback:
1. The rear seats of the RDX are still firmly in the "compact" class in terms of legroom. They're not ideal, but definitely usable. As professional reviews have stated, the back seats of the RDX are very low to accommodate that sloping roof line and panoramic moon roof. This seems to be the one con that almost all of the RDX's glowing reviews have touched on. I'm 5'7" and I find them too short and uncomfortable. My wife is 5"2' and finds them perfectly comfortable, however. They're still more padded than the Outback's terrible seats, however.
2. The touchpad interface, infotainment system, HUD, and system software are all brand new on the RDX. As such, anyone who buys a 2019 is essentially beta testing for Acura. There are tons of problems and bugs with it, but coming from a Subaru whose infotainment system would shut down for hours on end have tempered my expectations. The touchpad is incredible for the most part however. It is so much easier and safer to change stations and tracks while driving. I've actually reached the point where I don't even have to look at the screen at all when switching SXM stations. I feel like I would be disappointed in the lack of true touch pad interface if I ever upgraded to a more luxurious offering from Lexus, Volvo or the like.
3. Coming from the Outback, the RDX ride is BUMPY. A Lincoln or a Lexus this is not. I live in a major city and dealing with potholes, speed bumps and poorly maintained parking lots is uncomfortable in the RDX. Even in comfort mode, it feels like you're driving a car that is very sporty, but just short of luxury. There is significant body roll and nose dive. The RDX is a shorter wheel base than the Outback, and rides on 19" wheels instead of the Outback's 18". This is for sure a car better suited for the suburbs, where it glides over smooth roads with ease. When you test drive the RDX or ANY car nowadays, make sure you find somewhere to drive over that isn't a flawlessly maintained suburban road right outside the dealership. It seems to be an industry standard that all luxury car brands are putting larger wheels on their cars. The current luxury market values sportiness, handling and bold looks over comfort. I am considering talking to my dealer about the possibility of putting the Gray A-Spec or Black Berlina 18" accessory wheels from the 2019 ILX onto my RDX, and getting some nice thick tires.
4. Not a con, but the larger Outback obviously has more cargo space than the RDX. The RDX's cargo space is every so slightly above average for the segment, and has suited all of my needs for home and business so far. It is almost the same amount of space as my old Forester. A long road trip or a big supply run at the office supply store could tax the RDX's available cargo space. It still handily beats the anemic cargo space offerings in Lexus's crossovers!

That all being said, the RDX has a ton of positives that I did not expect to love in this car. The many glowing reviews have covered all of the great things about the RDX, but here are some things that really stood out for me coming from the Outback:
1. Acura's new seats may be the most comfortable in the industry. Advance package 16 way seats or bust.
2. The SH-AWD on the RDX feels confident and grounded, and just CUTS through rain better than my Subarus ever did. I have yet to try it in the snow, but I'm pretty sure no one here has been able to do that yet!
3. The sound system!
4. The moonroof!
5. The attention to detail in this car is far beyond anything I've ever seen from Acura. People do not believe they're sitting in an Acura when they sit in the 2019 RDX for the first time. The high end materials and varoius features really help redefine Acura. The wine compartment in the cargo area is infinitely useful. It's those little superfluous things that really help it stand out.

On the whole, the 2019 Acura RDX Advance is a huge improvement and was worth not only the 10k higher price tag, but the additional 10k I lost trading in a brand new Outback. I hope this text wall helps!
GREAT response, thank you! Here is what I just wrote for those who asked me the reasons for my decision to go with the RDX (ordered today) rather than the Outback:

For those who are interested, here is a quick summary of why I decided on the Acura RDX rather than the Subaru Outback:

- Ride quality--the RDX was quieter and smoother
- Driving dynamics--both cars have good driving dynamics but the RDX felt more planted and refined than the Outback
- Material quality--the quality of the materials--carpets, headliner, etc. were better on the RDX, of course, I paid 10K more so they should be
- Voice recognition--I tested voice recognition several times on both vehicles, including verbal addresses for navigation. The RDX got it right 100% of the time, The Subaru kept trying to take me from STL to Louisiana for the closest Starbucks. :-)
- Infotainment system: the system on the Outback was far more subject to sun glare than the RDX, the RDX has many more physical buttons. On the Outback, you have to drill into menus for most things, including S/S. I found the RDX system easy to use even when driving. Also, a small detail but the icons on the Subaru looked cartoonist in comparison to the RDX.
- The Heads Up Display (HUD) on the RDX was far far superior than the 3 light version on the Outback. The Outback does not provide information, only red, green, yellow lights
- I’m not comfortable with the long-term reliability of the CVT on the Outback--notwithstanding CR’s high marks for Subaru’s reliability
- I’m not sure the service department was honest with me. I ask the chief technician if they had any Ascents or Subarus with transmissions that needed replaced. He said no. I ask the salesman the same question, he said 2-3 had transmissions replaced.
- I much prefer the looks of the RDX over the Outback
- The sales service I received at the Subaru dealer was terrible--waited 30 minutes to see the sales person with whom I’d made an appointment and then they switched people on me, even though the original salesperson finally greeted me and turned me over to another.
- The dealership service area was terrible--high bar like stools to sit on, in a crowded area. In contrast, as you would expect the Acura service area was much more comfortable. It was clean, roomy with fresh snakes and drinks available. The salesman I dealt with was extremely knowledgeable about every aspect of the car. That is impressive because I do my research and usually know more particulars than the salesman. Not this time, he showed me a few things I did not know.
- I got .9% financing at Acura, 2.9% at the Subaru dealer.
The following users liked this post:
Ludepower (11-16-2019)