Acura or Outback? Finally decided and bought one

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2019, 03:36 PM
Instructor

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts
Acura or Outback? Finally decided and bought one

Well, after 8 months of searching and forum reading, I went to both the Acura and Subaru dealers today. I spent the entire day at the two dealers. After extensive test drives of the 2020 Outback and 2020 Acura RDX, testing the infotainment system, safety systems, and more, I decided on the Acura with the Advantage package. I’m looking forward to the new car when it arrives but I’m glad the search is over and the decision made. I’m happy to let you know what issues caused me to choose the RDX over the Outback if anyone is interested.

Thanks everyone who offered advice and information in this forum, much appreciated!

I’m look forward to being an active and helpful member of this community once the car arrives.
Old 11-16-2019, 03:54 PM
Drifting

Received 1,025 Likes on 715 Posts
Please, give us your perspective about what tipped your choice and why you thought the RDX was worth the extra money.
Old 11-16-2019, 03:55 PM
Racer

Received 66 Likes on 58 Posts
Congrats.....Enjoy the car.
Old 11-16-2019, 04:22 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by Madd Dog
Please, give us your perspective about what tipped your choice and why you thought the RDX was worth the extra money.
Below is my feedback.
Old 11-16-2019, 04:23 PM
7th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Congratulations. Just curious, how's leg room in back seat in RDX comparing to Outback?
Old 11-16-2019, 04:26 PM
Instructor

Here is why I choose the RDX over the Subaru Outback

Originally Posted by OtherBarry
Ooooh I can answer this one!

In November 2017 I bought a 2018 Subaru Outback 3.6R Touring. I promptly traded it in for a 2019 RDX SH-AWD Advance in June after a myriad of problems, barely 7 months later. The Outback had been my third Subaru and will be my last. The problems I had experienced with the Outback include:
1. Key fob would not function while the hazard lights were on (that required a complete vehicle software reinstall just so I could unlock my car reliably).
2. Speakers were wired improperly and created electrical interference noise.
3. The power window buttons would not function, then started functioning again only when the window lock button was ENGAGED.
4. Every 5 days or so, the head unit and speakers would not turn on at all. They would continue to not work until I left the car off and out of range of my key fob for a day. That means no radio, no apple car play, no navigation display or audio, no accessing the settings, no backup camera.
5. The seats, while beautiful in that lovely shade of Java Brown, were stiff as hell and hard on my back and legs. The seat bottom is way too short.
6. Subaru Starlink emergency services sent me an e-mail stating that the system could no longer connect to the Starlink service.
7. Subaru Eyesight safety features would intermittently not work... this was the big one. Last thing I need is a malfunctioning emergency braking system.

There are just a few cons to consider if you're choosing the RDX over the Outback:
1. The rear seats of the RDX are still firmly in the "compact" class in terms of legroom. They're not ideal, but definitely usable. As professional reviews have stated, the back seats of the RDX are very low to accommodate that sloping roof line and panoramic moon roof. This seems to be the one con that almost all of the RDX's glowing reviews have touched on. I'm 5'7" and I find them too short and uncomfortable. My wife is 5"2' and finds them perfectly comfortable, however. They're still more padded than the Outback's terrible seats, however.
2. The touchpad interface, infotainment system, HUD, and system software are all brand new on the RDX. As such, anyone who buys a 2019 is essentially beta testing for Acura. There are tons of problems and bugs with it, but coming from a Subaru whose infotainment system would shut down for hours on end have tempered my expectations. The touchpad is incredible for the most part however. It is so much easier and safer to change stations and tracks while driving. I've actually reached the point where I don't even have to look at the screen at all when switching SXM stations. I feel like I would be disappointed in the lack of true touch pad interface if I ever upgraded to a more luxurious offering from Lexus, Volvo or the like.
3. Coming from the Outback, the RDX ride is BUMPY. A Lincoln or a Lexus this is not. I live in a major city and dealing with potholes, speed bumps and poorly maintained parking lots is uncomfortable in the RDX. Even in comfort mode, it feels like you're driving a car that is very sporty, but just short of luxury. There is significant body roll and nose dive. The RDX is a shorter wheel base than the Outback, and rides on 19" wheels instead of the Outback's 18". This is for sure a car better suited for the suburbs, where it glides over smooth roads with ease. When you test drive the RDX or ANY car nowadays, make sure you find somewhere to drive over that isn't a flawlessly maintained suburban road right outside the dealership. It seems to be an industry standard that all luxury car brands are putting larger wheels on their cars. The current luxury market values sportiness, handling and bold looks over comfort. I am considering talking to my dealer about the possibility of putting the Gray A-Spec or Black Berlina 18" accessory wheels from the 2019 ILX onto my RDX, and getting some nice thick tires.
4. Not a con, but the larger Outback obviously has more cargo space than the RDX. The RDX's cargo space is every so slightly above average for the segment, and has suited all of my needs for home and business so far. It is almost the same amount of space as my old Forester. A long road trip or a big supply run at the office supply store could tax the RDX's available cargo space. It still handily beats the anemic cargo space offerings in Lexus's crossovers!

That all being said, the RDX has a ton of positives that I did not expect to love in this car. The many glowing reviews have covered all of the great things about the RDX, but here are some things that really stood out for me coming from the Outback:
1. Acura's new seats may be the most comfortable in the industry. Advance package 16 way seats or bust.
2. The SH-AWD on the RDX feels confident and grounded, and just CUTS through rain better than my Subarus ever did. I have yet to try it in the snow, but I'm pretty sure no one here has been able to do that yet!
3. The sound system!
4. The moonroof!
5. The attention to detail in this car is far beyond anything I've ever seen from Acura. People do not believe they're sitting in an Acura when they sit in the 2019 RDX for the first time. The high end materials and varoius features really help redefine Acura. The wine compartment in the cargo area is infinitely useful. It's those little superfluous things that really help it stand out.

On the whole, the 2019 Acura RDX Advance is a huge improvement and was worth not only the 10k higher price tag, but the additional 10k I lost trading in a brand new Outback. I hope this text wall helps!
GREAT response, thank you! Here is what I just wrote for those who asked me the reasons for my decision to go with the RDX (ordered today) rather than the Outback:

For those who are interested, here is a quick summary of why I decided on the Acura RDX rather than the Subaru Outback:

- Ride quality--the RDX was quieter and smoother
- Driving dynamics--both cars have good driving dynamics but the RDX felt more planted and refined than the Outback
- Material quality--the quality of the materials--carpets, headliner, etc. were better on the RDX, of course, I paid 10K more so they should be
- Voice recognition--I tested voice recognition several times on both vehicles, including verbal addresses for navigation. The RDX got it right 100% of the time, The Subaru kept trying to take me from STL to Louisiana for the closest Starbucks. :-)
- Infotainment system: the system on the Outback was far more subject to sun glare than the RDX, the RDX has many more physical buttons. On the Outback, you have to drill into menus for most things, including S/S. I found the RDX system easy to use even when driving. Also, a small detail but the icons on the Subaru looked cartoonist in comparison to the RDX.
- The Heads Up Display (HUD) on the RDX was far far superior than the 3 light version on the Outback. The Outback does not provide information, only red, green, yellow lights
- I’m not comfortable with the long-term reliability of the CVT on the Outback--notwithstanding CR’s high marks for Subaru’s reliability
- I’m not sure the service department was honest with me. I ask the chief technician if they had any Ascents or Subarus with transmissions that needed replaced. He said no. I ask the salesman the same question, he said 2-3 had transmissions replaced.
- I much prefer the looks of the RDX over the Outback
- The sales service I received at the Subaru dealer was terrible--waited 30 minutes to see the sales person with whom I’d made an appointment and then they switched people on me, even though the original salesperson finally greeted me and turned me over to another.
- The dealership service area was terrible--high bar like stools to sit on, in a crowded area. In contrast, as you would expect the Acura service area was much more comfortable. It was clean, roomy with fresh snakes and drinks available. The salesman I dealt with was extremely knowledgeable about every aspect of the car. That is impressive because I do my research and usually know more particulars than the salesman. Not this time, he showed me a few things I did not know.
- I got .9% financing at Acura, 2.9% at the Subaru dealer.
Old 11-16-2019, 04:31 PM
Instructor

SORRY for the duplicate post. Here is what I intended to post without including OtherBarry’s comments—which are excellent!

For those who are interested, here is a quick summary of why I decided on the Acura RDX rather than the Subaru Outback:

- Driving dynamics--both cars have good driving dynamics but the RDX felt more planted and refined than the Outback
- Material quality--the quality of the materials--carpets, headliner, etc. were better on the RDX, of course, I paid 10K more so they should be
- Voice recognition--I tested voice recognition several times on both vehicles, including verbal addresses for navigation. The RDX got it right 100% of the time, The Subaru kept trying to take me from STL to Louisiana for the closest Starbucks. :-)
- Infotainment system: the system on the Outback was far more subject to sun glare than the RDX, the RDX has many more physical buttons. On the Outback, you have to drill into menus for most things, including S/S. I found the RDX system easy to use even when driving. Also, a small detail but the icons on the Subaru looked cartoonist in comparison to the RDX.
- The Heads Up Display (HUD) on the RDX was far far superior than the 3 light version on the Outback. The Outback does not provide information, only red, green, yellow lights
- I’m not comfortable with the long-term reliability of the CVT on the Outback--notwithstanding CR’s high marks for Subaru’s reliability
- I’m not sure the service department was honest with me. I ask the chief technician if they had any Ascents or Subarus with transmissions that needed replaced. He said no. I ask the salesman the same question, he said 2-3 had transmissions replaced.
- The sales service I received at the Subaru dealer was terrible--waited 30 minutes to see the sales person with whom I’d made an appointment and then they switched people on me, even though the original salesperson finally greeted me and turned me over to another.
- The dealership service area was terrible--high bar like stools to sit on, in a crowded area. In contrast, as you would expect the Acura service area was much more comfortable. It was clean, roomy with fresh snakes and drinks available. The salesman I dealt with was extremely knowledgeable about every aspect of the car. That is impressive because I do my research and usually know more particulars than the salesman. Not this time, he showed me a few things I did not know.
Old 11-16-2019, 04:32 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 22,798 Likes on 13,981 Posts
Congrats!
The following users liked this post:
Bmosbacker (11-16-2019)
Old 11-16-2019, 04:45 PM
Racer

Received 41 Likes on 33 Posts
Originally Posted by Yumcha
Congrats!
Ditto! I think you'll be pleased with your RDX. What color are you getting?
Old 11-16-2019, 05:12 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by Cuzz
Ditto! I think you'll be pleased with your RDX. What color are you getting?
Blue with light stonegray interior.
Old 11-16-2019, 05:53 PM
Drifting

Received 803 Likes on 528 Posts
Congrats! Thanks for the detailed reasoning. You will enjoy the RRX!
The following users liked this post:
Bmosbacker (11-16-2019)
Old 11-16-2019, 09:27 PM
2014 RDX AWD Tech

Received 354 Likes on 325 Posts
Originally Posted by Bmosbacker
SORRY for the duplicate post. Here is what I intended to post without including OtherBarry’s comments—which are excellent!

Congratulations on your new ride and thank you for the first hand review.
Ps. You know that you can edit your posts just in case you accidentally post something in error. I believe you have a timeframe of 24 hours or so to edit it.
Old 11-17-2019, 06:56 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 30 Likes on 22 Posts
My wife recently bought the Subaru Forester the top of the line trim. It is a nice car. Has all the tech gadgets. My RDX feels nicer with the materials. There are no front collision sensors like the RDX. I like the automatic locking doors as soon as I step away from my RDX that the Forester doesn’t have. The difference in horsepower and torque is noticeable.
The following 3 users liked this post by JAB00:
Bmosbacker (11-17-2019), Comfy (11-17-2019), Cuzz (11-17-2019)
Old 11-17-2019, 07:26 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by JAB00
My wife recently bought the Subaru Forester the top of the line trim. It is a nice car. Has all the tech gadgets. My RDX feels nicer with the materials. There are no front collision sensors like the RDX. I like the automatic locking doors as soon as I step away from my RDX that the Forester doesn’t have. The difference in horsepower and torque is noticeable.
apparently I haven’t been here long enough to have editing rights. Here was the welcome message I received.

Hey Bmosbacker, welcome to AcuraZine! We hope you enjoy the site. Please note that during your trial period you will not be able to start threads in the Off Topic and Black Market sections of the site. You also won't be able to fully use the private message system, edit your user profile, edit your posts or threads, add an avatar, or add photos to an album right away either. And you can't post anything for sale or trade until your trial period is over and your account has been upgraded.
Old 11-17-2019, 10:43 AM
10th Gear

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Congrats on the Advance! I really wanted an Advance, but ended up with the Tech - couldn't justify spending the extra $7,000-$8,000. But maybe I'll give myself a few years down the line for it. I did get to hear the 16-speaker system in the ASpec, and it was absolutely amazing. The sound system in the Tech is very nice, too, but definitely not quite as nice, from my memory.
Old 11-17-2019, 11:03 AM
Drifting

Received 1,025 Likes on 715 Posts
Originally Posted by Danny Furr
Congrats on the Advance! I really wanted an Advance, but ended up with the Tech - couldn't justify spending the extra $7,000-$8,000. But maybe I'll give myself a few years down the line for it. I did get to hear the 16-speaker system in the ASpec, and it was absolutely amazing. The sound system in the Tech is very nice, too, but definitely not quite as nice, from my memory.
I went with the tech too. For me, it came down to other things. The Advance sound system was definitely better, but we often do not listen to music at all during drives, and Tech system was excellent. My prior car had 22-way seat adjustments, and when you get it adjusted, you keep it that way. The Tech seat was just as comfortable to me, especially the thigh support, so the only thing Advance would do for me is seat ventilation. I don’t need that where I live and how I use the car. Not having a HUD, I don’t miss it, but having one would make that a permanent requirement. I might have liked the acoustic side glass and the ride control and the kick-open tailgate, but not having to juggle kids, that would only be a nice thing to have, along with rain sensing.

If they included folding side mirrors, that would have tipped me over, but they don’t. The Tech package has everything I require, while the base did not.
Old 11-18-2019, 11:28 PM
Drifting

Received 587 Likes on 432 Posts
Originally Posted by Comfy
Ps. You know that you can edit your posts just in case you accidentally post something in error. I believe you have a timeframe of 24 hours or so to edit it.
I only get 15 minutes. What makes you so special?

[edit] BTW, congrats to OP on his new ride!