2025 RDX 2nd Refresh

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2024 | 03:24 AM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by fiatlux
Times are changing. Forums are dying, and younger users are gravitating towards FB groups, Instagram, Tiktok, Reddit, etc. Acura enthusiasts have always skewed younger compared to some other brands (because it's more accessible). This hasn't affected Rennlist as much, for instance, but I've seen other major car forums that skew younger (like nasioc) dropping users left and right.

The primary demographic for most forums I'm on at this point is basically middle aged and older men (this one included).
Fair points, but I feel like even on reddit and fb and IG the car scene seems to have died down. I wonder if the bottleneck in the car production system during covid has anything to do with it too.

From what I can see on dealer lots, many dealers still haven't gotten anywhere near pre-covid numbers on their lots (whether artificially created or real).

Alas I feel like a boomer yelling at people to get off my lawn. I used to spend a significant amount of time on here and other car forums. Sadly now I just check in anywhere from once a week to once every few months. Growing up sucks.
The following users liked this post:
HotRodW (01-22-2024)
Old 01-22-2024 | 06:47 AM
Drifting

Originally Posted by RDX10
The theatrics in this forum are somewhat exhausting . It seems like people either love Acura or hate it here...I really miss the days when this forum had more practical people who could both love their vehicle or the brand and still see faults, or conversely have issues with their vehicle but still be able to appreciate the positives.
I totally agree with everything you've said here. The traffic seems to have died down immensely on here and we're left with the cheer leaders and negative nancies going back and forth.

Sort of unrelated but why has this forum died so badly? I understand this is a 6 year old model now, but like it's been dead here for a a long long time and it feels like even other subs (TLX, MDX are dead too). Haven't checked out the Integra section to see how that's doing. I remember when I first joined (I think it was 2014 or 2015) this place was bustling.
Bimmerpost is not like AZ. Plenty of action in the X3 forums w/owners helping other owners/potential owners out. AZ is a soap opera because there would be no other content if the cheerleaders didn't cheer and the critics didn't respond.
There are only so many threads about exploding windshields you can take before you leave the brand and no longer become a contributing, helpful member!

I don't hate Acura. As a matter of fact, the only reason I'm still in AZ is because I'm waiting for some "good news" or some indication that it's a brand worth coming back to!

Last edited by ELIN; 01-22-2024 at 06:49 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by ELIN:
ESHBG (01-22-2024), hand-filer (01-22-2024)
Old 01-22-2024 | 06:51 AM
AZ Community Team

He's probably taking the R&T article, and extrapolating "one of the best new cars under $100K" to mean "the best car under $100K".

https://www.roadandtrack.com/reviews...ar-under-100k/
Thanks for sharing. I apologize, I definitely did not mean The BEST but as you mentioned one of the BEST. I always said and will stand by my words, it's very difficult to get the best and flawless cars anything below $200K in our market. A fully loaded Macan S is touching close to $150 (CAD). Even that, it's far from perfect.
Acura has not one but many flaws, we all know that like any other brands. Unfortunately, the focus is always on Acura and people forget others. Cheers!
Old 01-22-2024 | 07:22 AM
Drifting

Originally Posted by anoop
Just came across this which suggests there will be a refresh for 2025.
https://www.motortrend.com/cars/acura/rdx/2025/
Like most speculation threads, it didn't offer any concrete information worth repeating.
Old 01-22-2024 | 07:44 AM
Burning Brakes

The theatrics in this forum are somewhat exhausting . It seems like people either love Acura or hate it here...I really miss the days when this forum had more practical people who could both love their vehicle or the brand and still see faults, or conversely have issues with their vehicle but still be able to appreciate the positives.
Very true, but it's not just this forum. It's all forums, and honestly the world in general. We're being constantly exposed to divisive commentary on everything from politics to cross-stitching. Heck, the Taylor Swift effect has even further divided football fans within their already heatedly segregated fanbases. Social media allows the world to stay connected while at the same time encouraging confrontation. When world leaders are constantly resisting anything resembling compromise and even resorting to name-calling on a daily basis, it's bound to trickle down. I'm afraid the divide between haters and cheerleaders on any topic won't be narrowing anytime soon.
markm929 (01-22-2024)
Old 01-22-2024 | 07:57 AM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by ELIN
I don't hate Acura. As a matter of fact, the only reason I'm still in AZ is because I'm waiting for some "good news" or some indication that it's a brand worth coming back to!
Exactly why I continue to check-in here and occasionally contribute. My first car was a Honda and I taught my son to drive in an RSX he drove for many years. (It's still in the family.) I'll always have a special place for Honda/Acura, but I refuse to pretend to support questionable product decisions. Tough love is still love.
The following 3 users liked this post by HotRodW:
ELIN (01-22-2024), markm929 (01-22-2024), Techgirl (02-21-2024)
Old 01-22-2024 | 10:11 AM
Three Wheelin'

The issue is saying normal and objective opinions like, "I think this car is too expensive for what it is," and, "I don't know why options are missing," is met with bizarre comments like you insulted someone's entire family line instead of DISCUSSING the subject which is, you know, the point of a forum. I have said nice things about these vehicles e.g. I still feel as if they are some of the nicest looking out there but I usually only get responses whenever I am mentioning the "negatives".

The following 4 users liked this post by ESHBG:
ELIN (01-22-2024), hand-filer (01-22-2024), rdevillers (02-19-2024), Techgirl (02-21-2024)
Old 01-22-2024 | 11:41 AM
AZ Community Team

Originally Posted by ESHBG
The issue is saying normal and objective opinions like, "I think this car is too expensive for what it is," and, "I don't know why options are missing," is met with bizarre comments like you insulted someone's entire family line instead of DISCUSSING the subject which is, you know, the point of a forum. I have said nice things about these vehicles e.g. I still feel as if they are some of the nicest looking out there but I usually only get responses whenever I am mentioning the "negatives".
sincerely I apologize if my message was rude. I admit I shouldn’t have answered you in that manner.
ESHBG (01-22-2024)
Old 01-22-2024 | 07:14 PM
Safety Car

Quite relevant:

https://www.roadandtrack.com/car-cul...ng-car-brands/

Brand loyalty is a plague on car culture. On every forum, Facebook group, and Twitter thread, thousands of online fans flock to defend the sanctity of their precious friend, the brand. Like so many of us, they lose sight of a fundamental truth of consumer capitalism. You and the company you identify with aren’t on the same team.

These companies have exactly one goal: Make money. Cultivating loyalty is a useful way to achieve that, so every brand spends a considerable amount of time and energy promoting its own story. Large, well-staffed PR departments call out key advantages, put the most compelling story in front of journalists, and happily arrange tests that’ll showcase their supremacy. What they spend on PR pales in comparison to their direct marketing, with almost every full-line automaker earning a spot on “Top 50 Ad Spenders” lists nationwide.

Point is: They have plenty of people to defend them.

Those highly paid, highly competent people often find advantageous ways to present arguments. Ram, for instance, ran ads for years about having the highest V-8 towing capacity of any half-ton pickup. The ad didn’t mention that Ford’s turbocharged V-6 carried a higher max tow rating than the Ram’s V-8, because Ram isn’t in the business of selling Fords.

The government stops brands from lying outright—ideally, if not always in practice—but these companies know how valuable perception is. Convincing you that their product is superior is worth millions. Imagine how much they’d spend to win over superfans, who will spread their Gospel even wider, and without any repercussions if the information is false or misleading.

I know, I know, your brand is different. Surely everyone else would bend the truth, but not the brand you identify with. Your brand has values, a heart, a salesperson that was nice to your grandma, and those commercials with the actor you like. But brands are full of shit not out of malice, but for lack of other options.

Products, of course, can be marketed accurately. Good marketing can educate customers and encourage them to make better use of their vehicles. In fact, it can even help give some power to consumers. A company that shows ads of its cars on race tracks, for instance, may have a harder time denying a warranty claim for damage allegedly caused by on-track activities.

But brands themselves are different. It's not just that defending them is akin to volunteering for a multi-billion-dollar corporation. It's that a brand name isn't a particularly useful tool for consumers. The term “BMW” doesn’t stand for any one set of principles, and it’s near-to-useless for evaluating a product in any one specific segment. Brand names are just marketing terms.

“I like BMWs” is a phrase so detached from specifics as to be meaningless. The 2-series Active Tourer and the M2 are not representing the same thing, no matter how much BMW tries to say they are. You may have always liked the BMWs you've purchased, or always perceived them as superior, but each product is so different relative to its stablemates and its competitive set that evaluating on brand alone will often lead you to a worse vehicle. It’s a useless lens to use.

Lean on it when you go shopping for sports sedans and BMW will be at the top of that list. Cadillac, meanwhile, is effectively an anti-brand. Most enthusiasts rule it out on name alone. Pity, as those BMW buyers are missing out on the best sports sedan in the world, one that emulates the spirit of the E39 M5 better than any modern car with a roundel.

While Cadillac is turning out the best BMW sports sedans on the market, the Bavarians are making some of the best Range Rovers ever. The X7 and X5 are functionally perfect, have world-class suspension tuning, and have technology that actually works. Anyone who remembers early iDrive will note what an about-face that last point is for the company. But by being early on in-car infotainment and focusing on the direction of the market, BMW has gone from the premier sports sedan shop to the best luxury SUV maker in the game.

These reversals are everywhere. The chief proponents of the under-stressed pushrod V-8 performance car just launched a naturally aspirated, 8600-rpm flat-plane-crank monster that’d scare the hoofs off a prancing horse. A front-wheel-drive Hyundai is the best performance bargain on the market. Our favorite rally car is a three-cylinder Toyota. The dampers on some Chevy trucks are more sophisticated than what you’ll find on the average supercar.

The inconsistency of brands is an absolute truth, regardless of what you’re optimizing for. Designing a new vehicle takes over five years. Replacing a whole lineup often takes a decade or more, during which time the market changes, consumers demand new changes, and regulations shift. The Lexus GX that last got redesigned 13 years ago ago isn't just a different product than the redesigned RX; it was created by an entirely different company, staffed by different people, in a different world. It may be better to see a brand as a statement of general values and vague goals, that shape but don’t always define the product.

No multinational corporation lives up to these proclaimed values all of the time. Dig back in their histories and you’ll also find that almost every brand has done something heinous in service of its own products. Think VW's Dieselgate, or Stellantis’ own emissions cheating scandal, or when GM tried to cover up fatalities related to its ignition switch recall. Think deeply, now. If a company is willing to cover up deaths or design products that spew 40 times the legal limit for toxic nitrogen oxides, does it sound like they’re looking out for your interests?

Why, then, are you looking out for theirs? The point here is not that any of these companies are unsalvageable, or that they make bad products. The vast majority of workers I’ve met at any automaker are delightful people who actually want to make the car market better. Like everyone else, though, companies are error-prone, self-serving, and hesitant to admit mistakes. When things do go wrong, they will go to every length to avoid making it right, including decimating the consumer in court using an army of white-shoe lawyers. Those lawyers, and the PR people, and the marketing people, and the dealers, and the governments of the nations they are from, they’ll look out for the brands. You need to look out for yourself.
The following 2 users liked this post by fiatlux:
ESHBG (01-23-2024), steve_97060 (04-07-2024)
Old 01-22-2024 | 09:14 PM
Three Wheelin'

^ We can thank decades of easy money from central banks for the above mess. Niche players cannot exist. Must be huge to take advantage of financial engineering. The formula is simple — build stuff as crappy as you can get away with in large quantities, slap a well-respected brand and then use financial engineering to buy competitors or put them out of business. That is why we have monopolies in literally every area of the economy.

In many cases you can just buy a brand with history and play the above game. All the GE bulbs at Lowe’s are neither made nor designed not sold by GE! And that is literally the only brand Lowe’s sells for most applications.

I can see a future where all cars are EVs made in China and all car makers source them from there and put their badges on it. Just like we have with laptops and phones.

The last time a car brand stood for something was around the mid 90s.

Last edited by anoop; 01-22-2024 at 09:19 PM.
Old 02-17-2024 | 08:04 PM
Instructor

I saw my salesman today and he said he was being told a new RDX is on its way this year. He also said there is a smaller than the RDX SUV coming out this year too.
Old 02-17-2024 | 09:01 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by FlopMeister
I saw my salesman today and he said he was being told a new RDX is on its way this year. He also said there is a smaller than the RDX SUV coming out this year too.
I think new may be an exaggeration for the RDX.
https://www.autoevolution.com/news/r...-s-229104.html
Instead, the company also announced an all-new, smaller crossover SUV positioned alongside Integra, along with upgrades for the RDX to "enhance its appeal and functionality."
markm929 (02-18-2024)
Old 02-18-2024 | 08:56 PM
Instructor

Yeah this makes the most sense to me. I don’t see them doing a type S just for some badging.
exceot for the TTS, I am curious what they think needs “appeal & functionality improvements”.

on the yellow car in the article pics, where are the fog lights?
Old 02-18-2024 | 09:02 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by FlopMeister
Yeah this makes the most sense to me. I don’t see them doing a type S just for some badging.
exceot for the TTS, I am curious what they think needs “appeal & functionality improvements”.

on the yellow car in the article pics, where are the fog lights?
These are just renders, so don't look too much at details.

Appeal and functionality improvements may be minor touches to the exterior like moving to signature chicane taillights and possibly adding touchscreen capability and/or a full digital instrument cluster.
Old 02-19-2024 | 08:40 AM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by anoop
These are just renders, so don't look too much at details.

Appeal and functionality improvements may be minor touches to the exterior like moving to signature chicane taillights and possibly adding touchscreen capability and/or a full digital instrument cluster.
Agree - all speculation right now, especially with EV sales taking a nose dive in demand and depreciation.

My wishes - Insert a "mid-hybrid" system in the RDX - would increase the over all HP + torque and bump the city MPG a lot. Make the Aspec better, with added performance, brakes and tires (kind of similar to a S-Type or Fords ST model). get ride of the pano-roof, add some fix panels to let light in with better heat reduction glass.
The following 2 users liked this post by Texasrdx21:
markm929 (02-19-2024), Techgirl (02-21-2024)
Old 02-19-2024 | 06:12 PM
mvl
Pro

My guess is that they would mirror most of the 2024 TLX enhancements: frameless grille, better radar, traffic jam assist, digital instrument cluster, more USB-C, etc. I would have hoped/thought they would upgrade to a touchscreen, but they emphasized/italicized "touchscreen" in the MDX sentence, so their lack of mention in the RDX line is a pretty good sign a touchscreen isn't coming.
Old 02-21-2024 | 03:41 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Texasrdx21
Agree - all speculation right now, especially with EV sales taking a nose dive in demand and depreciation.

My wishes - Insert a "mid-hybrid" system in the RDX - would increase the over all HP + torque and bump the city MPG a lot. Make the Aspec better, with added performance, brakes and tires (kind of similar to a S-Type or Fords ST model). get ride of the pano-roof, add some fix panels to let light in with better heat reduction glass.
I agree - my 2014 RDX (with 240,000 miles on the clock) is my favorite car of all time and is now the car my daughter has used for grad school commuting since summer of 2022. I finally decided to buy a new car for me and while I generally like the looks and features of the 3rd Gen RDX, the move back to a turbo-4 for lower MPGs and a loss of the smoother acceleration of the V6 was a problem for me. Had Acura incorporated either the sport-hybrid powertrain into the RDX or a more performance-oriented version of the CR-V hybrid powertrain, I would have heavily considered it over the hybrid SUV that I recently bought.

Last edited by Techgirl; 02-21-2024 at 03:46 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Techgirl:
ESHBG (02-22-2024), Texasrdx21 (02-21-2024)
Old 02-21-2024 | 08:28 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by mvl
My guess is that they would mirror most of the 2024 TLX enhancements: frameless grille, better radar, traffic jam assist, digital instrument cluster, more USB-C, etc. I would have hoped/thought they would upgrade to a touchscreen, but they emphasized/italicized "touchscreen" in the MDX sentence, so their lack of mention in the RDX line is a pretty good sign a touchscreen isn't coming.
the digital dash and bigger infotainment screen that the 2024 tlx got would be good enough for me.

Oh and some better looking rims.
markm929 (02-22-2024)
Old 04-03-2024 | 11:52 AM
Three Wheelin'

Like most, I'll believe Acura is willing to change out of the TT (TrueTouch) when I see it!

I know TT has its defenders but if the MDX is getting a new interface as early as the mid-cycle refresh, the outcry against it must have been tremendous!
The outcry is from the Gen Xers, Millennials and Gen Zers born with a touch pad in hand and limited attention spans.. The True Touch pad is obviously being replaced slowly but surely, but the additional loss of attention when following your finger to the exact location on the screen is why I prefer my TTP over the touch screens I have used. I always chuckle when reviewers reference a long learning curve with the TTP. Took me 5 minutes, especially as I find the menu system reasonably simple.
The following 2 users liked this post by mapleloaf:
amcobra (04-03-2024), clevernamehere (04-04-2024)
Old 04-03-2024 | 12:29 PM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by mapleloaf
The outcry is from the Gen Xers, Millennials and Gen Zers born with a touch pad in hand and limited attention spans.
Touchpads existed in the 70s? That's news to me
Old 04-03-2024 | 12:33 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by mapleloaf
The outcry is from the Gen Xers, Millennials and Gen Zers born with a touch pad in hand and limited attention spans.. The True Touch pad is obviously being replaced slowly but surely, but the additional loss of attention when following your finger to the exact location on the screen is why I prefer my TTP over the touch screens I have used. I always chuckle when reviewers reference a long learning curve with the TTP. Took me 5 minutes, especially as I find the menu system reasonably simple.
Don't you dare throw me into the lot with Millennials and Gen Z!
sonyfever (04-03-2024)
Old 04-03-2024 | 01:20 PM
Instructor

Ha! I love how generations love to point fingers at each other. I'm a millennial and the iPhone wasn't released until I was 15.

FWIW, I quite appreciate the TrueTouch interface and consider it to be an advantage, not a disadvantage.
quikj (04-03-2024)
Old 04-03-2024 | 01:48 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by cwatt79
Ha! I love how generations love to point fingers at each other. I'm a millennial and the iPhone wasn't released until I was 15.

FWIW, I quite appreciate the TrueTouch interface and consider it to be an advantage, not a disadvantage.
Apparently, not enough of you guys bought Acuras to save the TT interface!
Old 04-03-2024 | 02:15 PM
Advanced

Another Millenial here who also likes TT. News to me that we were born with touchpads. I think the issue lies with CarPlay and Android Auto implementation, not the interface itself imo.

The choice should exist to either use TT or use the screen as a touchscreen. Why alienate either group necessarily?
ELIN (04-03-2024)
Old 04-03-2024 | 02:47 PM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by quikj
Another Millenial here who also likes TT. News to me that we were born with touchpads. I think the issue lies with CarPlay and Android Auto implementation, not the interface itself imo.

The choice should exist to either use TT or use the screen as a touchscreen. Why alienate either group necessarily?
Mercedes does just that; with MBUX you can either use the trackpad, or the screen, or the steering wheel controls, or voice.

But we all know why Acura didn't: cost.
markm929 (04-03-2024)
Old 04-03-2024 | 05:01 PM
Drifting

Mercedes does just that; with MBUX you can either use the trackpad, or the screen, or the steering wheel controls, or voice.

But we all know why Acura didn't: cost.
So does BMW. Pay more...get more...
Old 04-03-2024 | 05:54 PM
8th Gear

Just thought I'd offer my recent shopping experience/decision process while cross shopping and winding up with a 20k mile 22 RDX Tech with the idea that I'd likely trade in on a new model when they update the infotainment.

I've only had my RDX a few days (2.5 hour drive home though from purchase location) but I'm really not pleased so far with the touchpad but it's the only real issue I have with the car on first basic experiences. I didn't like it in any of the other cars that family and friends have had it as well though. 'm 53 and this is my first "responsible" vehicle really. Mostly been trucks and toy cars (corvette, miata etc and some "sport" model goofy cars like the v6 XSE camry I just traded in on this that was my non toy car before this). This one was bought for comfort and the best compromise for me for the next few years. Our local BMW dealer service is awful so those weren't even in the running on a newer model vehicle. The Acura dealer isn't much better but I trust the brand a bit more than BMW from past experience with Honda. I didn't really care for the seating position and cockpit layout of the Lexus models even though I just expected to move to an RX before driving a couple of them. The NX was also a bit tighter than I cared for.

So for a car enthusiast in their early 50's, I really like the car and like the touchpad less and less the more I use it but it's going to be "fine". I'd invest $3-4k right now if I could go aftermarket with a high end kenwood tablet head unit without even thinking twice about it if that was possible but it appears those days are gone. That's how much I dislike it but like I said, it'll be "fine" until it gets updated in which case I'll be ready to lay down a deposit. Maybe it'll grow on me but not so far. Still really happy with the car at this point though! =)

Old 04-03-2024 | 06:19 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by anyunusedusername
Just thought I'd offer my recent shopping experience/decision process while cross shopping and winding up with a 20k mile 22 RDX Tech with the idea that I'd likely trade in on a new model when they update the infotainment.

I've only had my RDX a few days (2.5 hour drive home though from purchase location) but I'm really not pleased so far with the touchpad but it's the only real issue I have with the car on first basic experiences. I didn't like it in any of the other cars that family and friends have had it as well though. 'm 53 and this is my first "responsible" vehicle really. Mostly been trucks and toy cars (corvette, miata etc and some "sport" model goofy cars like the v6 XSE camry I just traded in on this that was my non toy car before this). This one was bought for comfort and the best compromise for me for the next few years. Our local BMW dealer service is awful so those weren't even in the running on a newer model vehicle. The Acura dealer isn't much better but I trust the brand a bit more than BMW from past experience with Honda. I didn't really care for the seating position and cockpit layout of the Lexus models even though I just expected to move to an RX before driving a couple of them. The NX was also a bit tighter than I cared for.

So for a car enthusiast in their early 50's, I really like the car and like the touchpad less and less the more I use it but it's going to be "fine". I'd invest $3-4k right now if I could go aftermarket with a high end kenwood tablet head unit without even thinking twice about it if that was possible but it appears those days are gone. That's how much I dislike it but like I said, it'll be "fine" until it gets updated in which case I'll be ready to lay down a deposit. Maybe it'll grow on me but not so far. Still really happy with the car at this point though! =)
Your RDX didn't make Year 3 with the first owner so if you hate the TT now...
Old 04-03-2024 | 06:24 PM
Safety Car

'm 53 and this is my first "responsible" vehicle really
According to someone here, the reason you don't like the TrueTouch pad is because you're a Gen Xer who was born with a touch pad in your hand and a limited attention span.

BTW, what was the name of the time traveller who visited you in order to bring back a touchpad to 1971?
quikj (04-03-2024)
Old 04-03-2024 | 06:28 PM
8th Gear

Your RDX didn't make Year 3 with the first owner so if you hate the TT now...
It was a two year lease from the car fax. I'm basically gambling that within a few years they'll update and I'll pick my colorway and an advance equivalent package for then. Also, not my only car. I'm ok, like I said; it'll be "fine" for the roadtrips which is it's intended use.
quikj (04-03-2024)
Old 04-03-2024 | 06:35 PM
8th Gear

According to someone here, the reason you don't like the TrueTouch pad is because you're a Gen Xer who was born with a touch pad in your hand and a limited attention span.

BTW, what was the name of the time traveller who visited you in order to bring back a touchpad to 1971?
Yeah, not sure I agree with their perspective from earlier in the thread but I think I understand their sentiment. I'm a tech oriented person and see lots of different UI decisions that I find questionable. I just personally don't care for this one is all but the rest of the car was enough to overcome that for me. It was definitely a thing for a while in a certain tier of vehicles. I've made a lot of other compromises in my cars over the years that I am positive most other people wouldn't accept too.
Old 04-03-2024 | 06:42 PM
Drifting

It was a two year lease from the car fax. I'm basically gambling that within a few years they'll update and I'll pick my colorway and an advance equivalent package for then. Also, not my only car. I'm ok, like I said; it'll be "fine" for the roadtrips which is it's intended use.
My '21 TLX that had the same TT system was a 3 year lease that I returned a year early, giving up quite a bit of downpayment in the process!
Old 04-03-2024 | 06:46 PM
8th Gear

My '21 TLX that had the same TT system was a 3 year lease that I returned a year early, giving up quite a bit of downpayment in the process!
Yeah, I don't dislike it that much or I wouldn't have bought it. Sorry to see that, I assume you're in here hoping for a revamp on the next pass they do?
ELIN (04-03-2024)
Old 04-03-2024 | 06:57 PM
Drifting

Yeah, I don't dislike it that much or I wouldn't have bought it. Sorry to see that, I assume you're in here hoping for a revamp on the next pass they do?
The upcoming MDX refresh is supposed to be the first Acura to shed the TT. We’ll see how the new interface is received!
Old 04-03-2024 | 10:27 PM
Pro

Well I find myself actually driving the car more than using the infotainment. My wife's QX60 has a touchscreen but I hate the way it drives. The infotainment is not high on the list for me when considering a car. I just don't interact with it that much.
quikj (04-04-2024)
Old 04-04-2024 | 06:43 AM
Drifting

Originally Posted by ross7777
Well I find myself actually driving the car more than using the infotainment. My wife's QX60 has a touchscreen but I hate the way it drives. The infotainment is not high on the list for me when considering a car. I just don't interact with it that much.
This is what I've noticed about folks who are ok w/the TT interface:

1) Don't use CP/AA.
2) Don't use TT much and aren't Acura OS power users.
3) Are very comfortable rebooting the interface w/the 3-finger salute (the consummate Acura apologist)!
4) Don't care about playing their better music via USB while simultaneously using CP or AA.

Any way you slice it, not a great selling point for Acura, is it?
Old 04-04-2024 | 07:59 AM
Instructor

@ELIN I like the TT interface and I use CarPlay, however I only use it for navigation as I listen to SiriusXM exclusively in the car. Perhaps if I relied on CarPlay for music and navigation it would be more annoying. I'm not sure what constitutes a "power user" of a vehicle's infotainment, but I interact with it frequently on each drive. I do think the execution could be a little better, but I know that when I get into a vehicle with a touchscreen and I have to lift my arm up and aim/poke for every interaction, I miss my touch pad! I will be sad to see it go. It seems even BMW may be moving to touch-exclusive interfaces too. The X1/X2 ditched the rotary knob, and it appears the Vision Neue Klasse concepts have ditched it too.

Also (knock on wood) I've owned two different 2021 TLXs and have never had issues requiring a reboot of the infotainment. I've had CarPlay crash a couple times, and I know to give the system enough time to boot up before hitting it with a bunch of commands. The difference is night and day in my mom's 2023 RDX with the upgraded processor. That thing is ready to go almost instantly and reacts to inputs nearly instantaneously. It's the way this infotainment system should have performed from the onset. Perhaps if it did it wouldn't have garnered quite as much hate.
quikj (04-08-2024)
Old 04-04-2024 | 08:07 AM
Pro

This is what I've noticed about folks who are ok w/the TT interface:

1) Don't use CP/AA.
2) Don't use TT much and aren't Acura OS power users.
3) Are very comfortable rebooting the interface w/the 3-finger salute (the consummate Acura apologist)!
4) Don't care about playing their better music via USB while simultaneously using CP or AA.

Any way you slice it, not a great selling point for Acura, is it?
Huh?

I've never done the reboot. I rarely use the Acura OS- 99% CarPlay. I tried the USB 5.1 music thing but it's not convenient. All my music is on my phone, I don't need another chore to download/manage music files on another device.

I just don't understand why/how people are constantly interfacing with infotainment? Are you doing a lot of navigation inputs? Changing your music a lot? Genuinely curious.

Same with my wife's touchscreen car. She rarely touches the screen.
The following 3 users liked this post by ross7777:
clevernamehere (04-04-2024), quikj (04-08-2024), steve_97060 (04-07-2024)
Old 04-04-2024 | 09:10 AM
Drifting

@ELIN I like the TT interface and I use CarPlay, however I only use it for navigation as I listen to SiriusXM exclusively in the car. Perhaps if I relied on CarPlay for music and navigation it would be more annoying. I'm not sure what constitutes a "power user" of a vehicle's infotainment, but I interact with it frequently on each drive. I do think the execution could be a little better, but I know that when I get into a vehicle with a touchscreen and I have to lift my arm up and aim/poke for every interaction, I miss my touch pad! I will be sad to see it go. It seems even BMW may be moving to touch-exclusive interfaces too. The X1/X2 ditched the rotary knob, and it appears the Vision Neue Klasse concepts have ditched it too.

Also (knock on wood) I've owned two different 2021 TLXs and have never had issues requiring a reboot of the infotainment. I've had CarPlay crash a couple times, and I know to give the system enough time to boot up before hitting it with a bunch of commands. The difference is night and day in my mom's 2023 RDX with the upgraded processor. That thing is ready to go almost instantly and reacts to inputs nearly instantaneously. It's the way this infotainment system should have performed from the onset. Perhaps if it did it wouldn't have garnered quite as much hate.
I agree with most of what you said! Not a fan of BMW's decision to go mostly touchscreen and lose buttons. Concerning the rotary dial, they may have gotten rid of it on the X1/X2 but spy pics of the next gen MY25 X3 clearly show the rotary dial has been maintained:
https://cdn.bmwblog.com/wp-content/u...00-rotated.jpg

I believe it's still there on the X5 and X7 as well (already on next generation). Perhaps the X1/X2 don't get it because they're port-overs of a MINI?
The rotary dial is all I use on my X3 as it's too dangerous to use a touchscreen!

When I got my MY21 TLX A-Spec, I figured most of the kinks were already worked out since the interface had made its debut on the MY19 RDX. I didn't expect reliability and reaction time to be similar to 2nd or 3rd gen Android tablets!
Old 04-04-2024 | 09:18 AM
Drifting

Originally Posted by ross7777
Huh?

I've never done the reboot. I rarely use the Acura OS- 99% CarPlay. I tried the USB 5.1 music thing but it's not convenient. All my music is on my phone, I don't need another chore to download/manage music files on another device.

I just don't understand why/how people are constantly interfacing with infotainment? Are you doing a lot of navigation inputs? Changing your music a lot? Genuinely curious.

Same with my wife's touchscreen car. She rarely touches the screen.
Never doing the reboot doesn't mean you never experienced a crash. Before I found out about the 3-button press to get into the service menu, my solution was to:
1) Park the car (even when sitting at a light).
2) Turn off ignition.
3) Open driver door.
4) Close door and restart the car.

I enjoy listening to multichannel FLAC that I've ported over from SACD and DVD-A (as well as from wonderful members on this forum) so when I found out I couldn't listen to this music over USB AND navigate using WAZE or Google Maps simultaneously on CP, I was pretty pissed!
Acura completely hamstrung a great 3D ELS sound system by making it "either...or" but not both!

I'm guessing you don't consider yourself an audiophile?
markm929 (04-04-2024)

Quick Reply: 2025 RDX 2nd Refresh