2024 RDX Exploding Sunroof

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2024, 10:02 PM
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2024 RDX Exploding Sunroof

While exiting a highway at approximately 55/60 mph, suddenly the front sunroof glass shatters/explodes.

After telling me another 2024 RDX had the exact same issue a month before and since Acura denied that warranty claim, the dealer told me I'm tesponsible for the repair. The dealership was not helpful and very condescending. In fact, I'll never do business with this dealership ever again!!!

I posted my negative Acura experience on three other Acura owner forums. I do not accept the Acura dealers or Acuras reaction to this issue.

In fact, there are multiple class action lawsuits against Honda/Acura for exploding sunroofs.

Thoughts???
Old 06-26-2024, 12:35 AM
Safety Car

Received 3,441 Likes on 1,888 Posts
Unfortunately what you’ve described is all too common with Acura dealerships. Some dealerships will provide a proper luxury dealership experience, whereas others will be hardly better (or even worse) than a regular Honda dealership. This inconsistency across dealerships coupled with Acura’s notorious stinginess for approving warranty claims has pushed a fair number of former owners towards the Europeans and Lexus.

You can try a different dealership and see if they’ll go to bat for you against Acura corporate, or if they’ll warranty it under goodwill.
Old 06-26-2024, 06:48 AM
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Worst Client Service Experience

Based upon my recent, exploding sunroof experience, I'll never buy another Honda/Acura. And the dealer service experience was equally bad.
Now, im deciding how much time i want to spend sharing my experience with Honda/Acura and one of their "worst in class" dealerships. I've owned multiple vehicle brands including Acura, Honda, Lexus, Infinity, Ford, Chevy and Pontiac. Duung the past 40 years, my experience with Acura’s exploding sunroof was the worst!

QUOTE=fiatlux;16941832]Unfortunately what you’ve described is all too common with Acura dealerships. Some dealerships will provide a proper luxury dealership experience, whereas others will be hardly better (or even worse) than a regular Honda dealership. This inconsistency across dealerships coupled with Acura’s notorious stinginess for approving warranty claims has pushed a fair number of former owners towards the Europeans and Lexus.

You can try a different dealership and see if they’ll go to bat for you against Acura corporate, or if they’ll warranty it under goodwill.[/QUOTE]
Old 06-26-2024, 10:03 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 910 Likes on 693 Posts
Not to diminish from the very poor response of your dealership, but exploding panoramic sunroofs are unfortunately a common thing across many brands. It even blows my mind that they've managed to put such a large piece of glass in such a continuously flexing area.
Old 06-26-2024, 10:19 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,855 Likes on 1,496 Posts
Originally Posted by pdhj1990
While exiting a highway at approximately 55/60 mph, suddenly the front sunroof glass shatters/explodes.

Thoughts???
That's incredible!
Just curious, at that speed, were you traveling in a level straight line or were you in the midst of a banking clover leaf turn type situation?
Old 06-26-2024, 11:40 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 708 Likes on 550 Posts
Your best bet is to claim your insurance as a road hazard comprehensive coverage.

The panoramic sunroof is a biggest mistake for Acura.
Old 06-26-2024, 03:18 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 347 Likes on 255 Posts
Originally Posted by russianDude
Your best bet is to claim your insurance as a road hazard comprehensive coverage.

The panoramic sunroof is a biggest mistake for Acura.
Agree with you - Yep - best to claim it on your insurance with that response from the dealer. Feel for the OP - thats just a bummer and a pain to get resolved.

BTW - I hate those huge pano glass roofs - give me an option to omit it when buying new. Never use it - unless I want brain cells fried on a blistering hot Texas summer day.
Old 06-26-2024, 03:38 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by Texasrdx21
Agree with you - Yep - best to claim it on your insurance with that response from the dealer. Feel for the OP - thats just a bummer and a pain to get resolved.

BTW - I hate those huge pano glass roofs - give me an option to omit it when buying new. Never use it - unless I want brain cells fried on a blistering hot Texas summer day.
It would have been nice if the A-spec could have had an optional delete. All that weight up high impacts handling.
Old 06-26-2024, 03:39 PM
Suzuka Master

Interesting video to watch, even though its Toyota, you kind of get a sense what a disaster those
panoramic roofs, especially when they need repair

Old 06-26-2024, 03:42 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by RDX10
It would have been nice if the A-spec could have had an optional delete. All that weight up high impacts handling.
yup, all that complication and extra cost just so few
times in a year you can show somebody how cool your sunroof, lol
Old 06-26-2024, 04:13 PM
Suzuka Master

Yup, all that complication and extra cost just so few
times in a year you can show somebody how cool your sunroof, lol
Oh absolutely! Every single vehicle I have ever owned (10+) has had either a regular sunroof or a panoramic sunroof and I can count ON ONE HAND the number of times I have driven with the sunroof opened.
Old 06-26-2024, 07:54 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 120 Likes on 106 Posts
Originally Posted by fiatlux
Unfortunately what you’ve described is all too common with Acura dealerships. Some dealerships will provide a proper luxury dealership experience, whereas others will be hardly better (or even worse) than a regular Honda dealership. This inconsistency across dealerships coupled with Acura’s notorious stinginess for approving warranty claims has pushed a fair number of former owners towards the Europeans and Lexus.
Sorry about your sunroof. That sucks. Had consistently bad experiences with my local Acura service department and a final bad experience with the sales department. Those experiences along with the 2nd gen RDX's all-wheel drive system made me visit a near-by Volvo dealership. I was treated much better at that Volvo dealership and another after moving. The local Audi dealership I deal with now also is also better. Unfortunately, the local Genesis dealership isn't very good. I am not saying Volvo and Audi are perfect, but my dealership experience has been better. That being said, I would give Acura another chance if I found myself living close to a different dealership in the future and the customer reviews are good.

Old 06-26-2024, 09:58 PM
Advanced

Received 38 Likes on 25 Posts
Interesting video to watch, even though its Toyota, you kind of get a sense what a disaster those
panoramic roofs, especially when they need repair

https://youtu.be/7HyuriUhTSo?si=Qe7pNio1ghErNLTn
Good thing the RDX sunroofs are sealed a little differently.
Old 06-27-2024, 07:04 AM
Cruisin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2019 RDX Exploding Sunroof

After telling me another 2024 RDX had the exact same issue a month before and since Acura denied that warranty claim, the dealer told me I'm tesponsible for the repair. The dealership was not helpful and very condescending. In fact, I'll never do business with this dealership ever again!!!

I posted my negative Acura experience on three other Acura owner forums. I do not accept the Acura dealers or Acuras reaction to this issue.

In fact, there are multiple class action lawsuits against Honda/Acura for exploding sunroofs.

Thoughts???
My 2019 exploded on highway with a kayak tied upside down to Acura crossbars. Acura warranty dept informed me that Honda warranty, which covers certified warranty vehicles, said no warranty coverage because I had to use an Acura kayak carrier (which is the suckiest carrier I’ve ever tried so I tried it but returned it). There is no reason one shouldn’t tie a kayak upside down on crossbars. I asked whether I had to use an “Acura brand 2x4 carrier” in order to carry a 2x4 on the crossbars! What a ludicrous reason to reject coverage. This is no different than rear window tempered glass explosions which are now covered by Acura. Others please post similar experience. One day, they will be made to pay, hopefully not after someone dies from wrecking after an explosion. I’ll never buy from Acura again. This is no way to treat customers of a “luxury” SUV.
Old 06-27-2024, 11:48 AM
Safety Car

Received 3,441 Likes on 1,888 Posts
Originally Posted by Geohutch
My 2019 exploded on highway with a kayak tied upside down to Acura crossbars. Acura warranty dept informed me that Honda warranty, which covers certified warranty vehicles, said no warranty coverage because I had to use an Acura kayak carrier (which is the suckiest carrier I’ve ever tried so I tried it but returned it). There is no reason one shouldn’t tie a kayak upside down on crossbars. I asked whether I had to use an “Acura brand 2x4 carrier” in order to carry a 2x4 on the crossbars! What a ludicrous reason to reject coverage. This is no different than rear window tempered glass explosions which are now covered by Acura. Others please post similar experience. One day, they will be made to pay, hopefully not after someone dies from wrecking after an explosion. I’ll never buy from Acura again. This is no way to treat customers of a “luxury” SUV.
I wish this surprises me, but unfortunately it's more surprising to me when Acura actually does the right thing and doesn't try to weasel out of warranty claims.
Old 06-27-2024, 08:04 PM
Instructor

Received 45 Likes on 33 Posts
Sorry to hear about your sunroof. After watching the video and then looking at the pictures, it looks to me like it could be with the sunroof not sitting flush in the front. Look closer at the pictures and you can see the sides are flush but the front is not.
Okay the glass is broken and that could be the reason for it not being flush. But, if it was like that before then air could have gotten in there and the pressure just being enough to break the glass. This is just a theory. Now, I've adjusted a few sunroofs in my time and the one thing I do, is clean the seals around the sunroof glass and around the seals that the sunroof seals against the body of the car. Then I apply silicone past from 3M to the glass and body seals and just lightly wipe off the access. This will help the sunroof glass to flex in its closed position, with the flexing of the car. It could have been a combo of the two that broke the glass.

Dirty sunroof seals will stick really good to themselves thus keeping the glass from moving and as the car flexes. Just listen for yourself when you open the sunroof. Then after you clean use the silicone paste and you will clearly hear the difference. Do this 3-4 times a year.

Safety glass is a funny thing, it's really hard but also fragile. If you hit it in the right spot, she will break and in other spots will not break even with a couple blows. And twisting is just as bad.

Agreed, it's still a bad design, but it is what it is.

Follow my advice as stated above. Make sure the glass is flush all around and clean and use silicone paste.
Old 06-28-2024, 06:27 AM
Racer

Received 86 Likes on 67 Posts
3M Silicone Paste alternative

Originally Posted by Oil Stain
Sorry to hear about your sunroof. After watching the video and then looking at the pictures, it looks to me like it could be with the sunroof not sitting flush in the front. Look closer at the pictures and you can see the sides are flush but the front is not.
Okay the glass is broken and that could be the reason for it not being flush. But, if it was like that before then air could have gotten in there and the pressure just being enough to break the glass. This is just a theory. Now, I've adjusted a few sunroofs in my time and the one thing I do, is clean the seals around the sunroof glass and around the seals that the sunroof seals against the body of the car. Then I apply silicone past from 3M to the glass and body seals and just lightly wipe off the access. This will help the sunroof glass to flex in its closed position, with the flexing of the car. It could have been a combo of the two that broke the glass.

Dirty sunroof seals will stick really good to themselves thus keeping the glass from moving and as the car flexes. Just listen for yourself when you open the sunroof. Then after you clean use the silicone paste and you will clearly hear the difference. Do this 3-4 times a year.

Safety glass is a funny thing, it's really hard but also fragile. If you hit it in the right spot, she will break and in other spots will not break even with a couple blows. And twisting is just as bad.

Agreed, it's still a bad design, but it is what it is.

Follow my advice as stated above. Make sure the glass is flush all around and clean and use silicone paste.
Points well taken on the use of the silicone paste. Do you know of a suitable alternative to the 3M Silicone paste? That stuff is really hard to locate. Most places show it out of stock..
Old 06-28-2024, 06:54 AM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by John from PA
Points well taken on the use of the silicone paste. Do you know of a suitable alternative to the 3M Silicone paste? That stuff is really hard to locate. Most places show it out of stock..
Honda has shiatsu grease for rubber seals

Old 06-28-2024, 06:57 AM
Instructor

Yes I do, it's made by Tribology/Tech-Lube. Made in the USA. I bought a bottle of this stuff when the 3M is hard to get for some reason. I still have a 1/3 left of the 3M but bought the Tribology as a backup. I can not see any difference between the two. Amazon has same day delivery on it.

Here's the link -
Tribology/Tech-Lube TSG Universal Auto Care Silicone Paste with Brush, 8 oz: Amazon.com: Industrial & Scientific Tribology/Tech-Lube TSG Universal Auto Care Silicone Paste with Brush, 8 oz: Amazon.com: Industrial & Scientific
Old 06-28-2024, 07:21 AM
Racer

Received 86 Likes on 67 Posts
Yes I do, it's made by Tribology/Tech-Lube. Made in the USA. I bought a bottle of this stuff when the 3M is hard to get for some reason. I still have a 1/3 left of the 3M but bought the Tribology as a backup. I can not see any difference between the two. Amazon has same day delivery on it.

Here's the link -
Tribology/Tech-Lube TSG Universal Auto Care Silicone Paste with Brush, 8 oz: Amazon.com: Industrial & Scientific
8 oz must last forever; I’m at the age where I don’t buy green bananas! But thanks.
Old 06-28-2024, 09:28 AM
Instructor

8 oz must last forever; I’m at the age where I don’t buy green bananas! But thanks.
I can agree with that statement, but its one those things that has 1001 uses. LOL I use it all the time on various stuff.
Old 06-28-2024, 11:01 AM
Suzuka Master

Man, this hit me like a ton of bricks, really made me realize how short and limited life really is. Wishing you all the best good sir.
Old 06-28-2024, 11:08 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by RDX10
Man, this hit me like a ton of bricks, really made me realize how short and limited life really is. Wishing you all the best good sir.
Reality Check, isn't it...
The following users liked this post:
RDX10 (06-28-2024)
Old 06-28-2024, 11:31 AM
Suzuka Master

Reality Check, isn't it...
Absolutely! I turn 30 in November, I genuinely cannot remember my 20's...lol no not from partying, it's just gone so fast. I will be closer to 60 than to birth thereafter. It's a wild thought how fast it all goes by.
Oil Stain (06-28-2024)
Old 09-18-2024, 07:20 PM
1st Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Exploding sunroof 2020 RDX Tech

[QUOTE=pdhj1990;16941823]While exiting a highway at approximately 55/60 mph, suddenly the front sunroof glass shatters/explodes.

My sunroof exploded last week. Acura saying same thing to me. On a FB forum two other people had same issue and one dealer did pay.

This is simply a design flaw and acura needs to take responsibility. How do i find out about the class action law suit?

Did you end up paying? Acura is trying to charge me around $1600.00! I currently have an acura loaner.

Constructive advice appreciated.
- Sharon
mantan (09-18-2024)
Old 09-18-2024, 11:12 PM
Advanced

Received 39 Likes on 25 Posts
[QUOTE=revsharon;16953907]

My sunroof exploded last week. Acura saying same thing to me. On a FB forum two other people had same issue and one dealer did pay.

This is simply a design flaw and acura needs to take responsibility. How do i find out about the class action law suit?

Did you end up paying? Acura is trying to charge me around $1600.00! I currently have an acura loaner.

Constructive advice appreciated.
- Sharon
Out of curiosity, what year/model is your RDX?
Old 09-19-2024, 07:15 AM
Cruisin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2019 RDX Tech

If I recall correctly, the cost for mine was approx $3,500. Insurance covered so I paid $500 deductible.

seems to me it’s not a dealership issue, it’s a corporate policy issue of rejecting warranty (or manufacturers defect) coverage. 2 reasons I can think of…(1) the upfront cost, and (2) the “admission of fault” and how that would affect legal liability costs when someone dies if a sunroof explodes and sprays shattered glass in their face if the sun shade is not closed. Either way, it’s a horrible and unacceptable position for any car company, much less a luxury brand.

while I prefer less govt regulations, and this one is at least in part a response to regs requiring lighter weight/ higher gas mileage, the solution seems to be for the NTSB (?) to issue a warning for drivers to keep the sun shade closed, and, prohibit ALL manufacturers from using tempered glass ) in the future, including for rear and side windows. It is what it is.
Old 09-19-2024, 07:16 AM
Drifting

Received 1,272 Likes on 926 Posts
A couple of folks didn't believe this could happen to MY24 RDXs since this started happening to MY19 and MY20 models. My argument has always been, what significant change has occurred for Acura to rectify the situation? Since it's structural/stress related, nothing outside of a complete redesign could possibly prevent this from happening even to the latest models!
Old 09-19-2024, 10:08 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 347 Likes on 255 Posts
Originally Posted by Geohutch
If I recall correctly, the cost for mine was approx $3,500. Insurance covered so I paid $500 deductible.

seems to me it’s not a dealership issue, it’s a corporate policy issue of rejecting warranty (or manufacturers defect) coverage. 2 reasons I can think of…(1) the upfront cost, and (2) the “admission of fault” and how that would affect legal liability costs when someone dies if a sunroof explodes and sprays shattered glass in their face if the sun shade is not closed. Either way, it’s a horrible and unacceptable position for any car company, much less a luxury brand.

while I prefer less govt regulations, and this one is at least in part a response to regs requiring lighter weight/ higher gas mileage, the solution seems to be for the NTSB (?) to issue a warning for drivers to keep the sun shade closed, and, prohibit ALL manufacturers from using tempered glass ) in the future, including for rear and side windows. It is what it is.
It's an odd event that affects all MFG's with big pano roofs. I wish it was an option to not get the pano roof, delete that dumb option IMO - surely won't use in the Texas summers nor the winters in Colorado. I never open it - just a heat generator or robber - depending on the season.
mantan (09-19-2024)
Old 09-19-2024, 05:13 PM
Advanced

Received 39 Likes on 25 Posts
Originally Posted by Texasrdx21
It's an odd event that affects all MFG's with big pano roofs. I wish it was an option to not get the pano roof, delete that dumb option IMO - surely won't use in the Texas summers nor the winters in Colorado. I never open it - just a heat generator or robber - depending on the season.
I'd say the same thing about any sunroof. In the 25 years I've driven cars with a sunroof, I may have opened it once. I can't even think of a single time I did..but just hedging against saying never.

As I was considering the RDX, no feature was less important/appealing to me than a panoramic sunroof.

The following 5 users liked this post by mantan:
amcobra (09-23-2024), GW208 (09-19-2024), Pens Fan (09-20-2024), RDX10 (09-19-2024), Texasrdx21 (09-19-2024)
Old 09-19-2024, 10:58 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by mantan
I'd say the same thing about any sunroof. In the 25 years I've driven cars with a sunroof, I may have opened it once. I can't even think of a single time I did..but just hedging against saying never.

As I was considering the RDX, no feature was less important/appealing to me than a panoramic sunroof.
I have had a sunroof on every single car I have owned and not once have I ever actually opened it. Can't in the 8 month long Canadian winter and can't in the blazing Canadian summers.
amcobra (09-23-2024)