2022 RDX - Thankful List

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2023, 06:22 AM
Advanced

Received 20 Likes on 14 Posts
2022 RDX - Thankful List

I am always eyeing other cars and thinking what will be next after my lease is up in 14 months. But, especially at this time of year, I want to take a moment to list all the things I like about my RDX. Mostly this is just a time to reflect and appreciate what I have. But I can also use this list when I am looking for my next car.

- Auto high beams
- Auto dimming rearview AND SIDE mirrors
- Power folding mirrors
-Walk away feature (locks and folds mirrors)
- Auto touch unlock (no button to even have to press on the handle)
- Foot activated lift gate
- Heads up display
- Wireless Android Auto/Carplay
- Wireless charger
- Heated and cooled seats (WITH auto feature)
- Heated steering wheel (with easy button on steering wheel)
- Thigh extension for seats (side bolsters too but not as important to me)
- Memory seats with exit feature (seat goes back)
- Easily installed the idelstopper
- Remote starter on fob AND app availability
- Surround view camera
- Adaptive cruise control
- Tire monitoring system

I know there are many more features that may be equally, or more, important to others. But these are the things I am especially happy about in my RDX and would look for in my next car. And, why do I keep on saying my next car? There are a few things I don't love about the RDX:

- Terrible city gas mileage
- Fake pumped in noise. This was my fault. I figured the RDX was an Acura and would be more luxurious and not as sporty. I may have confused it with the MDX. I just want a near silent ride (minimal engine, road and wind noise).
- Quirky trackpad
- Unstable bluetooth connection (sometimes my phone cuts in and out)
- Huge selector for drive mode
- Small center console storage

But, mostly, I think my next car will either be an EV or PHEV (that can be forced to only use battery for first 30 miles). I drive less than 10 miles on most days and would appreciate no gas and a silent engine (I have a level2 charger at home already for a son's EV). So I am going to consider:
- Model Y (if new version comes out)
- Model X
- Volvo XC60 Recharge
- Rivian
- Or, if I can't justify such a high cost for a car I rarely use, then something in the Kia/Hyundai family

And there I go again thinking about my next car and not appreciating my RDX enough . Happy New Year all.
Old 12-31-2023, 12:06 PM
mvl
Racer

Received 207 Likes on 136 Posts
Curious why the ZDX isn't on your next car list?
Old 12-31-2023, 12:14 PM
Advanced

Good point. I assume there will be many more options in 12 months. I tend not to want a 1st year model but maybe there will be enough reviews at that time to consider it in my full EV list.
Old 12-31-2023, 01:05 PM
Racer

Received 181 Likes on 139 Posts
Originally Posted by gadgetfreak
I am always eyeing other cars and thinking what will be next after my lease is up in 14 months. But, especially at this time of year, I want to take a moment to list all the things I like about my RDX. Mostly this is just a time to reflect and appreciate what I have. But I can also use this list when I am looking for my next car.

- Auto high beams
- Auto dimming rearview AND SIDE mirrors
- Power folding mirrors
-Walk away feature (locks and folds mirrors)
- Auto touch unlock (no button to even have to press on the handle)
- Foot activated lift gate
- Heads up display
- Wireless Android Auto/Carplay
- Wireless charger
- Heated and cooled seats (WITH auto feature)
- Heated steering wheel (with easy button on steering wheel)
- Thigh extension for seats (side bolsters too but not as important to me)
- Memory seats with exit feature (seat goes back)
- Easily installed the idelstopper
- Remote starter on fob AND app availability
- Surround view camera
- Adaptive cruise control
- Tire monitoring system

I know there are many more features that may be equally, or more, important to others. But these are the things I am especially happy about in my RDX and would look for in my next car. And, why do I keep on saying my next car? There are a few things I don't love about the RDX:

- Terrible city gas mileage
- Fake pumped in noise. This was my fault. I figured the RDX was an Acura and would be more luxurious and not as sporty. I may have confused it with the MDX. I just want a near silent ride (minimal engine, road and wind noise).
- Quirky trackpad
- Unstable bluetooth connection (sometimes my phone cuts in and out)
- Huge selector for drive mode
- Small center console storage

But, mostly, I think my next car will either be an EV or PHEV (that can be forced to only use battery for first 30 miles). I drive less than 10 miles on most days and would appreciate no gas and a silent engine (I have a level2 charger at home already for a son's EV). So I am going to consider:
- Model X
- Volvo XC60 Recharge
- Rivian
- Or, if I can't justify such a high cost for a car I rarely use, then something in the Kia/Hyundai family

And there I go again thinking about my next car and not appreciating my RDX enough . Happy New Year all.
Bluetooth issues can also be because it’s a short wave radio technology. Hence the Bluetooth communication happens on short wave radio frequencies which are PRONE to interference! This is one big reason why we all see random quality issue with Bluetooth connections. Over the last 10+ years I’ve had many random quality sound issues with all kinds of Bluetooth connected device (Cars, various headsets etc) that further confirms it could just be interference of the short wave radio frequency that is used in Bluetooth.

Last edited by Midwestuser1; 12-31-2023 at 01:13 PM.
Old 01-01-2024, 08:46 AM
mvl
Racer

Received 207 Likes on 136 Posts
You can also connect via carplay/android auto. It upgrades the audio connection from Bluetooth to higher capacity and higher stability wifi, and might (not fully sure) upgrade phone call audio too.
Old 01-01-2024, 10:45 AM
Pro

Received 133 Likes on 101 Posts
Originally Posted by Midwestuser1
Bluetooth issues can also be because it’s a short wave radio technology. ...
Bluetooth uses channels in the 2.4 GHz range which is technically not short wave which ends at 30MHz. It's actually in the microwave part of the spectrum. Wifi also uses 2.4Ghz as do microwave ovens. It's also close to the 4G cellular frequencies. Lots of chances for interference in addition to the fact that many bluetooth devices just aren't designed very well and are subject to interference from many sources.
The following users liked this post:
Midwestuser1 (01-01-2024)
Old 01-01-2024, 02:51 PM
Pro

Received 233 Likes on 140 Posts
Agree with most of your list. However I think the wireless charger is junk. I actually used 3M strips and attached a MagSafe charger on top.

-Huge Drive mode selector: I think the idea here was to match the NSX design. I suppose you could say it's getting dated now.
Old 01-01-2024, 06:01 PM
Racer

Received 132 Likes on 83 Posts
Originally Posted by ross7777
Agree with most of your list. However I think the wireless charger is junk. I actually used 3M strips and attached a MagSafe charger on top.

-Huge Drive mode selector: I think the idea here was to match the NSX design. I suppose you could say it's getting dated now.

The least used dial is also the largest. Stupid.
Old 01-01-2024, 11:01 PM
Advanced

Received 50 Likes on 31 Posts
Originally Posted by Ludepower
The least used dial is also the largest. Stupid.
I use the drive mode selector multiple times on nearly every drive. I appreciate its size and prominence. As I live on a hill, Sport is used for the roads around my house, once I'm on the freeway, I put it into Comfort, before putting in in Normal once I'm off the freeway and in the city.
The following users liked this post:
Jmar55 (01-03-2024)
Old 01-03-2024, 10:48 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 389 Likes on 294 Posts
Most of the features listed are specific to the Advance or at least not available on the Tech. My list for the Tech is much smaller. These are features that I would like to have in my next car.
  • Seat comfort.
  • Headlight intensity -- illuminates the road very well.
  • Quality of materials.
  • Interior and exterior design (NSX inspired shifter/center console).
  • Steering, handling, power.
  • Ride comfort.
  • Cap-less fuel filler.
  • Option to automatically reset trip computer on refuel.
Is the piped sound in all drive modes or only sport?
Old 01-04-2024, 12:18 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 389 Likes on 294 Posts
Originally Posted by gadgetfreak
- Model X
- Volvo XC60 Recharge
- Rivian
A few comments on this list. Other than the Teslas I don't think any of them make sense. Spend some time on swedespeed and you will quickly change your mind about the XC60. Rivian, IMO, will not survive in its present form. They are losing too much money. Pay a visit to your Kia/Hyundai dealer and then let's talk about "can't justify high cost". Their EVs are way overpriced and oversubscribed. EV ownership is very different. You really have to want an EV to make it work. I know many that tried it and went back to gas. Also don't forget to check insurance costs for EV.

Last edited by anoop; 01-04-2024 at 12:21 AM.
Old 01-04-2024, 06:20 AM
Advanced

Originally Posted by anoop
A few comments on this list. Other than the Teslas I don't think any of them make sense. Spend some time on swedespeed and you will quickly change your mind about the XC60. Rivian, IMO, will not survive in its present form. They are losing too much money. Pay a visit to your Kia/Hyundai dealer and then let's talk about "can't justify high cost". Their EVs are way overpriced and oversubscribed. EV ownership is very different. You really have to want an EV to make it work. I know many that tried it and went back to gas. Also don't forget to check insurance costs for EV.
I have a friend who loves his XC90 Recharge but I will need to do more research. There are others on the list too and a year is a long time to see what else is out there. But, for 10 miles of town driving every day, I feel I am filling up the RDX every 2 weeks or less. There is a convenience factor in charging at home every night and rarely needing gas (not just money). Plus, the pickup, smooth feel, one pedal driving and lack of engine noise is very appealing to me. But, for now, since I am a true "techie" at heart, I will continue to appreciate everything my RDX Advance offers and will be very careful in deciding which of these features I am willing to give up in my next car.