2020 RDX SH-AWD Very Low mpg

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2021, 10:27 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 397 Likes on 302 Posts
The RDX is not the car to buy if looking for mpg. The highway numbers are achievable only if driven modestly and the city numbers are achievable only in a low population areas. If you live in a city like LA/SF/NYC/DC you are all but guaranteed a sub-20 mpg. In those areas even highway driving is not normal highway driving because of congestion. For such areas, a hybrid is best.
Old 12-14-2021, 11:01 AM
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs down

[QUOTE=Midi Man;16771269]It was really not a no name brand it was Acura oil, but who knows it might be better. Any improvement is better than none.
Has anyone else noticed that the car will decline in oil life just sitting up in a garage?
What I mean it I do not drive much had a oil change done oil life was at 100 percent the car sat in my garage for 4 week first crank oil life went to 90 percent.
I really don't think oil will degrade that fast just siting in a car. I always do a yearly oil change on my Lexus since it never gets the mileage it's more of a yearly thing.
At this rate I will need 2 oil changes a year on the RDX, which to be honest is kind of stupid.[/QUO

with so many issues from bad MPG, losing power on the highway oil change life and others, ive come to the conclusion that the RDX computers are unreliable
im taking my 2020 RDX to the Dealer Monday, hopefully i can get some answers
Old 12-14-2021, 11:49 AM
Instructor

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts
Yes good luck and I don't mean that as a bad against you. I was told here in NYC everyone is complaining about the City MPG and it's the way it is.
The following 3 users liked this post by Midi Man:
Baldeagle (12-14-2021), pilozm (12-15-2021), Showkey (12-14-2021)
Old 12-14-2021, 11:55 AM
Racer

Received 137 Likes on 88 Posts
I sympathize with those who’s fuel economy does not match their expectation. Would it be a comfort to know you are not alone? Only because ecmproute mentioned a CX-5, I did a quick internet search and found similar complaints from CX-5 owners. One CX-5 owner with the naturally aspirated 2.5 (187 hp) complained about getting 19.5 mpg. The other owner has a 2.5T (227 hp on 87-octane and 250hp on 93-octane) who sees 15 mpg. My point is the RDX is not the only car that gets worse fuel economy than its EPA rating if driven hard.

https://www.mazdaforum.com/forum/maz...economy-42346/

https://www.reddit.com/r/CX5/comment..._sucks_on_cx5/

EDIT - And here's some more:

X3 owner gets 12 mpg in city:
https://www.bimmerfest.com/threads/x...ileage.960522/

Q3 owner gets 12-13 mpg:
https://www.audiworld.com/forums/q5-...r-mpg-2800046/

Last edited by Baldeagle; 12-14-2021 at 12:03 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Showkey (12-14-2021)
Old 12-14-2021, 12:00 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by Baldeagle
I sympathize with those who’s fuel economy does not match their expectation. Would it be a comfort to know you are not alone? Only because ecmproute mentioned a CX-5, I did a quick internet search and found similar complaints from CX-5 owners. One CX-5 owner with the naturally aspirated 2.5 (187 hp) complained about getting 19.5 mpg. The other owner has a 2.5T (227 hp on 87-octane and 250hp on 93-octane) who sees 15 mpg. My point is the RDX is not the only car that gets worse fuel economy than its EPA rating if driven hard.

https://www.mazdaforum.com/forum/maz...economy-42346/

https://www.reddit.com/r/CX5/comment..._sucks_on_cx5/
If I was getting 19.5 in the city I would not be complaining at all. I would be over joyed in the with with those numbers.
Old 12-14-2021, 12:14 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by Midi Man
If I was getting 19.5 in the city I would not be complaining at all. I would be over joyed in the with with those numbers.
I get it. The turbo is a gas hog when driven hard. Thank you turbochargers! But also know 19.5 mpg was from the non-turbo CX-5. The CX-5 turbo got 15 mpg. That is just as bad as the RDX.
Old 12-14-2021, 12:24 PM
Instructor

I get it. The turbo is a gas hog when driven hard. Thank you turbochargers! But also know 19.5 mpg was from the non-turbo CX-5. The CX-5 turbo got 15 mpg. That is just as bad as the RDX.
Unfortunately it's a gas hog when not driven hard that is the issue. Who would complain about flooring the car from red light to red light then complain about Gas mileage.
Any car Turbo or not would be a gas hog driven that way.
Old 12-14-2021, 12:27 PM
Drifting

Received 1,025 Likes on 715 Posts
Heavy car, not very aerodynamic..

Fuel economy is not its strength.
pilozm (12-15-2021)
Old 12-14-2021, 01:41 PM
Racer

Unfortunately it's a gas hog when not driven hard that is the issue. Who would complain about flooring the car from red light to red light then complain about Gas mileage.
Any car Turbo or not would be a gas hog driven that way.
I have to disagree with you. The RDX is not a gas hog when driven moderately. You have to drive it hard to get bad fuel economy. That's not meant to be critical of driver technique. Its just a fact. It also does not requiring flooring the car. Boost is what sucks down the gas. In turbo cars, 40%-50% throttle generates about 90% boost. If you use 40% throttle and 3,500 rpm shift points in the RDX, that is driving hard. It also means you're accelerating pretty quickly. Maybe that is unavoidable in the city, but it is still hard driving.
Old 12-14-2021, 01:51 PM
Instructor

Received 73 Likes on 50 Posts
This is the EPA a city drive cycle

If the Temperature is colder with more warm up time and you drive in any traffic congestion thats worse than this test cycle is trying to replicate your mileage will be worse the city EPA.

Does not matter the vehicle they will all be worse in a city like NY. The fact you think a F150 is going to do better is almost comical.
F150 avg far less even with highway MPG added in 15 MPG is the actual.

Baldeagle (12-14-2021)
Old 12-14-2021, 03:20 PM
Advanced

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts
the problem turbo spools very quick which is good for torque but then it calls for fuel so quickly. You can hit good MPG if you take control of the car and set it up to achieve the most from it. so like for example i noticed the lowest rpm/speed for gears like need to verify but 8th gear 38mph 9th gear 46mph and 10th gear 60mph sort of maximizing fuel sipping. its geared for acceleration which makes the car fun which is a bit unusual for honda usually higher gears are really spaced out like my old TL the gears were all so long.
Old 12-14-2021, 05:12 PM
Advanced

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts
Peak looks like
7th gear 36 mph
8th gear 44 mph
9th gear 52 mph
10th gear 60 mph
Old 12-14-2021, 07:32 PM
Advanced

Received 39 Likes on 23 Posts
Had the '22 RDX Adv A-spec since thanksgiving. Right now my average MPG is 13.7. I think it's the whole remote startup with the heated seats and steering wheel activating. Also the NYC non-stop red lights. Only under 300 miles though. Maybe another update at 1k miles. 90% driven in the city though.
Old 12-14-2021, 08:07 PM
Instructor

Received 84 Likes on 54 Posts
its a heavy car with a really aggressive AWD system. it rows through 3 or 4 gears every stop sign. is what it is.
Old 12-14-2021, 10:04 PM
Racer

Received 132 Likes on 83 Posts
RDX gets terrible gas mileage no doubt but you gotta be honest with yourself. Any other similar car (size/power train) driven in your current city will be terrible as well. Previous Lexus IS300 AWD was getting similar mileage as this RDX.

My beef is how these car companies advertise their EPA mileage to the public. They’re driving on perfectly flat roads in a less populated surburban city in perfect weather and granny footing the gas pedal.

Last edited by Ludepower; 12-14-2021 at 10:09 PM.
Old 12-15-2021, 01:52 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 397 Likes on 302 Posts
Originally Posted by Ludepower
RDX gets terrible gas mileage no doubt but you gotta be honest with yourself. Any other similar car (size/power train) driven in your current city will be terrible as well. Previous Lexus IS300 AWD was getting similar mileage as this RDX.

My beef is how these car companies advertise their EPA mileage to the public. They’re driving on perfectly flat roads in a less populated surburban city in perfect weather and granny footing the gas pedal.
Still, the EPA numbers are much better now than they used to be about 20 years ago. Maybe they need 3 numbers -- one for megapolis, one for city/suburban, and one for highway -- so that consumers in a megapolis aren't shocked by the numbers they observe.
The following 2 users liked this post by anoop:
ESHBG (12-15-2021), FactoryMatt (12-15-2021)
Old 12-15-2021, 06:02 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 704 Likes on 546 Posts
I flgot noticeable MPG improvement after 3rd oil change, I think engine is still breaking in for 1-2 oil changes
FactoryMatt (12-15-2021)
Old 12-15-2021, 08:48 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by Ludepower

I agree that is my issue if I knew it was that far off from then city EPA I would have never purchased the RDX.
Old 12-15-2021, 10:14 AM
EFR
Burning Brakes

Received 254 Likes on 183 Posts
All you can do at this point is be determined on your next purchase to make the cars with very good MPG (and they do exist) the ONLY cars on your list, and don't suffer the double whammy you do with the RDX, and all other 'premium' cars, of pretty low MPG, and the need for pricey premium fuel. Our 'next year' purchase list as it stands has six cars on it, and right now only one of them is a non-premium, regular unleaded car. The decisions are tough to impossible if you want a premium/luxury car. You either have to suck it up, or go with a non-premium.
Old 12-15-2021, 12:39 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by EFR
All you can do at this point is be determined on your next purchase to make the cars with very good MPG (and they do exist) the ONLY cars on your list, and don't suffer the double whammy you do with the RDX, and all other 'premium' cars, of pretty low MPG, and the need for pricey premium fuel. Our 'next year' purchase list as it stands has six cars on it, and right now only one of them is a non-premium, regular unleaded car. The decisions are tough to impossible if you want a premium/luxury car. You either have to suck it up, or go with a non-premium.
It would have been nice if Acura / Honda had stated the true numbers on the EPA sticker.
I mean the sticker is just not there for show. I really wish the Fed's would go after them for lying about the true city gas mileage.
I know that when I had taken my car in for service they gave me a loaner MDX ASpec 2020 and I was getting 18 to 19 in the city.
Yes naturally aspirated v6 but still car is heaver. I drive it like I drove my RDX so if I can get that in the MDX, I should get that or better in the RDX.
Again Acura / Honda or who ever tested and stated the EPA for City was lying!!!
Old 12-15-2021, 12:50 PM
3rd Gear

My 2021 is getting the same abysmal gas mileage. You know what I think it is, It's the gas! We took ours on trip from Denver to Chicago. We got 21.8 MPG. When I got home we started using Costco gas (premium). Our mileage has gone up to 25mpg combined. I think the gas supplyers are selling midgrade for premium! I don't even know who to go to about this being a possible problem. I just know my mpg is the best when using Costco Premium. Try another top tier brand. I truly think fuel suppliers are skimming to make more $$$! Be sure to get back, should you discover the same. Something needs to be done about it!
Old 12-15-2021, 12:59 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by tjtim
My 2021 is getting the same abysmal gas mileage. You know what I think it is, It's the gas! We took ours on trip from Denver to Chicago. We got 21.8 MPG. When I got home we started using Costco gas (premium). Our mileage has gone up to 25mpg combined. I think the gas supplyers are selling midgrade for premium! I don't even know who to go to about this being a possible problem. I just know my mpg is the best when using Costco Premium. Try another top tier brand. I truly think fuel suppliers are skimming to make more $$$! Be sure to get back, should you discover the same. Something needs to be done about it!
I have tried BP, Gulf, Shell and what ever it's all the same for me. I wish it was taht easy.
Wow my car is getting 28 to 30 on the highway. Yours is really bad. I was doing about 75 with cruse control on.
The city MPG is my issue.
Old 12-15-2021, 01:07 PM
Instructor

Received 84 Likes on 54 Posts
i think the car uses 1st gear more than it needs to. needs to lug 2nd more.
Old 12-15-2021, 01:14 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by FactoryMatt
i think the car uses 1st gear more than it needs to. needs to lug 2nd more.
I think it needs ECO mode to be honest. I mean if you need the power is just a simple push of a button just like that stupid Auto Idle.
At least for NYC traffic.
They went after the NSX for a SUV but really who the hell is going to zip around like it's a NSX.
I mean it's fun and all but it's still high up and not close to the ground like a NSX.
Old 12-15-2021, 01:19 PM
1st Gear

I have a 2021 RDX Aspec FWD 10k and averaging 22-23 mpg w/80/20 hwy/city miles. FYI I drive 500 miles at 65-75 mph and averaged 26 mpg.

FYI my first few thousand miles I only averaged about 20 mpg. I get about 1 more mph using 93 octane and must drive on the conservative side in comfort or sport mode. I traded a 2014 TL and got about 24 mpg. *I wish that Acura had a hybrid version available like Toyota and Honda.
Old 12-15-2021, 01:28 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by mg3878
I have a 2021 RDX Aspec FWD 10k and averaging 22-23 mpg w/80/20 hwy/city miles. FYI I drive 500 miles at 65-75 mph and averaged 26 mpg.

FYI my first few thousand miles I only averaged about 20 mpg. I get about 1 more mph using 93 octane and must drive on the conservative side in comfort or sport mode. I traded a 2014 TL and got about 24 mpg. *I wish that Acura had a hybrid version available like Toyota and Honda.
Well from what I read. They are going to let GM / Cadillac build there Electric cars so you can kiss Acura good buy, GM are great for the first 4 to 5 years then they are junk.
Yes all of the Acura seem to get better gas mileage than the RDX, I had a 90 Legend L before it was better than this new RDX, I have a 92 Lexus LS 400 and it's better than this car on City MPG,
Really pissed off at Acura to be honest. I don't know what they define as a city, but living in NYC and having City in my states name should be a clue as to the definition of a city is.
Old 12-15-2021, 01:31 PM
Instructor

Received 122 Likes on 74 Posts
I said this much earlier in the thread but I'll add it again... I'm somewhat obsessed with fuel economy in a number-cruncher sort of way. I don't always care about getting the best mileage, but I like to understand the relationship between aspects of driving and the resulting mileage. Most people seem to be ignoring one major factor or another.

Here is how to match the city number on the EPA test:

1. Don't live in NYC, or any congested downtown. If you live in an area known for heavy traffic and a lot of stop and go, get a hybrid. I'm not joking or being cynical. When you use friction brakes to stop your car block after block, you are turning all of that power you just made into heat - in other words wasting it. Hybrids and EVs use their motors in reverse to regen power when you "brake" and the brakes are actually a combination of friction brakes and the resistance caused by the engine's continued engagement / regen cycle. It doesn't have to be a big city, either. If you're driving around the suburbs from stop sign to stop sign, you'll get the same effect.

2. Don't take short trips, especially on cold days. Any turbo direct injected engine is going to burn a whole lot more gas when cold. Evidently this has to do with the spray patterns of direct fuel injection, and the need to compensate by spraying far more fuel when cold, but this is outside of my realm of knowledge so I'll let someone else explain why. All I can say is that it has a DRASTIC effect. As an analogy, my wife's 2.0T Accord has returned as high as 42 mpg for me on rural road trips, but currently gets about 12.5 mpg because she uses it mostly to drive to work (1.2km from home) or to my kids school (700m from home).

3. Turn on the "sport gauges" (yes, I know they are silly and kinda awful). This allows you to see when your car is on boost (orange) or off boost (purple) or neutral (empty). It's surprisingly easy to get the car up to speed without boost, thanks to the gearing of gears 1-3. I feel like I want to say you can apply up to about 15% throttle and stay off the boost, and it's quick enough to keep up with average traffic. When already moving, keeping your eye on the gauge can help you avoid the common habit of "boost ... coast ... boost ... coast." Instead, find the perfect amount of throttle that will allow you to maintain your speed without boost. One caveat is that above about 105 km/h it is impossible to maintain speed without boost, and hence there is a substantial drop in highway fuel economy above this speed.

4. In general, use both pedals less. Some people just get the idea in their head that if they are gentle on the gas they should get good mileage, but then they do things like keeping their foot on the gas when a distant light just turned red, and then switching to the brake at the last minute. I sort of get the feeling that some people think they should have their foot on one pedal or the other at all times, but in fact no-pedal-driving should be something you do any time the opportunity presents itself.

5. For some reason (and I'm not 100% sure about this) I seem to get better gas mileage from regular gas (87) than I do from premium (91 or 94). I can't confirm, but the cost savings of regular gas is massive, and if you're doing city driving you're not using the extra hp provided by premium fuel (and yes, as per the manual, it is perfectly safe to use 87 octane, though it will produce a stated max of 252hp as it does in the Accord and not 272hp as advertised. Torque, and thus driveability, is not affected.

Finally, have realistic expectations. You are moving a 4100 pounds plus your own weight plus your cargo and passengers. This can easily be over 5,000 lbs total. Making a heavy object get to 30 mph just to stop at the next light 25 seconds later takes a ton of energy and there is no way around that. There are no non-hybrid SUVs that weight 4100 lbs that do much better. The X3 may be able to eke out 10% more but it's a standout. Pretty much every other vehicle is as bad or worse. Mainstream CUVs (Rav4, CRV, etc) are usually in the 3500-3600 lb range and will do better. Some heavy ones (like the CX5 turbo) are 3700+ lbs but still more than 10% lighter than the RDX.

I hope this helps someone
The following 4 users liked this post by Jordster:
Chipdull (12-16-2021), Ludepower (12-15-2021), mg3878 (12-16-2021), Showkey (12-16-2021)
Old 12-15-2021, 01:45 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by Jordster
I said this much earlier in the thread but I'll add it again... I'm somewhat obsessed with fuel economy in a number-cruncher sort of way. I don't always care about getting the best mileage, but I like to understand the relationship between aspects of driving and the resulting mileage. Most people seem to be ignoring one major factor or another.

Here is how to match the city number on the EPA test:

1. Don't live in NYC, or any congested downtown. If you live in an area known for heavy traffic and a lot of stop and go, get a hybrid. I'm not joking or being cynical. When you use friction brakes to stop your car block after block, you are turning all of that power you just made into heat - in other words wasting it. Hybrids and EVs use their motors in reverse to regen power when you "brake" and the brakes are actually a combination of friction brakes and the resistance caused by the engine's continued engagement / regen cycle. It doesn't have to be a big city, either. If you're driving around the suburbs from stop sign to stop sign, you'll get the same effect.

2. Don't take short trips, especially on cold days. Any turbo direct injected engine is going to burn a whole lot more gas when cold. Evidently this has to do with the spray patterns of direct fuel injection, and the need to compensate by spraying far more fuel when cold, but this is outside of my realm of knowledge so I'll let someone else explain why. All I can say is that it has a DRASTIC effect. As an analogy, my wife's 2.0T Accord has returned as high as 42 mpg for me on rural road trips, but currently gets about 12.5 mpg because she uses it mostly to drive to work (1.2km from home) or to my kids school (700m from home).

3. Turn on the "sport gauges" (yes, I know they are silly and kinda awful). This allows you to see when your car is on boost (orange) or off boost (purple) or neutral (empty). It's surprisingly easy to get the car up to speed without boost, thanks to the gearing of gears 1-3. I feel like I want to say you can apply up to about 15% throttle and stay off the boost, and it's quick enough to keep up with average traffic. When already moving, keeping your eye on the gauge can help you avoid the common habit of "boost ... coast ... boost ... coast." Instead, find the perfect amount of throttle that will allow you to maintain your speed without boost. One caveat is that above about 105 km/h it is impossible to maintain speed without boost, and hence there is a substantial drop in highway fuel economy above this speed.

4. In general, use both pedals less. Some people just get the idea in their head that if they are gentle on the gas they should get good mileage, but then they do things like keeping their foot on the gas when a distant light just turned red, and then switching to the brake at the last minute. I sort of get the feeling that some people think they should have their foot on one pedal or the other at all times, but in fact no-pedal-driving should be something you do any time the opportunity presents itself.

5. For some reason (and I'm not 100% sure about this) I seem to get better gas mileage from regular gas (87) than I do from premium (91 or 94). I can't confirm, but the cost savings of regular gas is massive, and if you're doing city driving you're not using the extra hp provided by premium fuel (and yes, as per the manual, it is perfectly safe to use 87 octane, though it will produce a stated max of 252hp as it does in the Accord and not 272hp as advertised. Torque, and thus driveability, is not affected.

Finally, have realistic expectations. You are moving a 4100 pounds plus your own weight plus your cargo and passengers. This can easily be over 5,000 lbs total. Making a heavy object get to 30 mph just to stop at the next light 25 seconds later takes a ton of energy and there is no way around that. There are no non-hybrid SUVs that weight 4100 lbs that do much better. The X3 may be able to eke out 10% more but it's a standout. Pretty much every other vehicle is as bad or worse. Mainstream CUVs (Rav4, CRV, etc) are usually in the 3500-3600 lb range and will do better. Some heavy ones (like the CX5 turbo) are 3700+ lbs but still more than 10% lighter than the RDX.

I hope this helps someone
Don't live in a city come on be real. I live in the city and I looked at the EPA sticker that is what most people do when they buy a car. That is the purpose of the EPA sticker To be close to gas mileage. Yes it can vary I know that but 1 to 2 mpg not 4 to 8, that is a big difference.
Understand that if I was getting 18 to 19 I would be satisfied but as others said they are not.
As far as my driving I am very good. If I see a light truing red I let the car roll to the light with no foot on the gas pedal.
I have tried everything to get close to the city gas mileage with no luck.
I have said this before I drove a MDX A Spec with AWD loaner same traffic and I was getting better MPG than the RDX.
So it's that stupid Turbo or something else about the way the car RDX is setup.
The Acura dealer service manager told me I am not the only one complaining about the city gas mileage being so poor.
But point in point there City definition of a city is not a city.
If they would have said on the EPA sticker 9 to 14 I would have gotten a different SUV.

mg3878 (12-16-2021)
Old 12-15-2021, 02:27 PM
Instructor

Don't live in a city come on be real. I live in the city and I looked at the EPA sticker that is what most people do when they buy a car. That is the purpose of the EPA sticker To be close to gas mileage. Yes it can vary I know that but 1 to 2 mpg not 4 to 8, that is a big difference.
Understand that if I was getting 18 to 19 I would be satisfied but as others said they are not.
As far as my driving I am very good. If I see a light truing red I let the car roll to the light with no foot on the gas pedal.
I have tried everything to get close to the city gas mileage with no luck.
I have said this before I drove a MDX A Spec with AWD loaner same traffic and I was getting better MPG than the RDX.
So it's that stupid Turbo or something else about the way the car RDX is setup.
The Acura dealer service manager told me I am not the only one complaining about the city gas mileage being so poor.
But point in point there City definition of a city is not a city.
If they would have said on the EPA sticker 9 to 14 I would have gotten a different SUV.
On my way home from work, since writing the post above, I decided to see how I could do. It's about 12 miles, all suburbs, no long stretches, no highway, moderate traffic... I got 22.1 mpg. It was 17 mpg after the first 4 miles due to the engine being cold. I did only what was listed above and employed no additional hyper-miling techniques. My car is fully loaded (Canadian "Platinum Elite" spec which is basically Advanced AWD in the USA) AND has wider, stickier tires on custom 20" wheels so a lower trim w/ smaller wheels should be able to do even better.

In an MDX w/ a V6 you can just go gentle on the throttle but the engine only has one state. No need to stay off boost. Turbo cars are just way harder to drive efficiently. As soon as you dip into that rich on-boost torque even a little your fuel economy will suffer. I bet you ignored my suggestion about learning to drive the car off boost with the gauge. It does seem kind of silly, I admit, but I bet you're not as good at it as you think. And of course others are complaining. The average person doesn't know the first thing about gas mileage, although I'd posit that most people know that EPA ratings are only for comparison. And yes, every other turbo 2.0T SUV over 4000 lbs has the EXACT same convo going on within it's public forums. This isn't an RDX thing. Go check out Q5 or GLC threads and see for yourself.

Either that or something is mechanically wrong with your car.
Old 12-15-2021, 04:34 PM
Instructor

Received 57 Likes on 42 Posts
Yes it can vary I know that but 1 to 2 mpg not 4 to 8, that is a big difference.
Probably should have looked at an independent source that tests true city driving as opposed to EPA loop which doesn't replicate real world conditions. Or looked at all the complaints about poor fuel economy and the RDX. And although the RDX is slightly lower than most in its class all these 2.0L turbo 4's are going to suck in city driving.

You would have been much better off with a hybrid or electric vehicle for mostly city driving if poor fuel economy bothers you. I know I couldn't live with that kind of mileage and the reason the RDX moved so low on my list.

Old 12-15-2021, 04:52 PM
Drifting

Received 1,025 Likes on 715 Posts
Acura must post EPA figures.
Old 12-15-2021, 10:05 PM
Instructor

On my way home from work, since writing the post above, I decided to see how I could do. It's about 12 miles, all suburbs, no long stretches, no highway, moderate traffic... I got 22.1 mpg. It was 17 mpg after the first 4 miles due to the engine being cold. I did only what was listed above and employed no additional hyper-miling techniques. My car is fully loaded (Canadian "Platinum Elite" spec which is basically Advanced AWD in the USA) AND has wider, stickier tires on custom 20" wheels so a lower trim w/ smaller wheels should be able to do even better.

In an MDX w/ a V6 you can just go gentle on the throttle but the engine only has one state. No need to stay off boost. Turbo cars are just way harder to drive efficiently. As soon as you dip into that rich on-boost torque even a little your fuel economy will suffer. I bet you ignored my suggestion about learning to drive the car off boost with the gauge. It does seem kind of silly, I admit, but I bet you're not as good at it as you think. And of course others are complaining. The average person doesn't know the first thing about gas mileage, although I'd posit that most people know that EPA ratings are only for comparison. And yes, every other turbo 2.0T SUV over 4000 lbs has the EXACT same convo going on within it's public forums. This isn't an RDX thing. Go check out Q5 or GLC threads and see for yourself.

Either that or something is mechanically wrong with your car.
I honestly think it more of a mechanical problem.
I live in the boroughs so to be honest I don't drive that much at all. I will try your suggestion next time I drive the car and enable the boast on the display.
I can tell you I really don't think I am boasting the car thought but hey it's worth a shot.
I can say this I get the best gas mileage when the car is sitting in the garage. but the oil life ticks away. LOL another really annoyance,
I think Canada is a lot different than here in the 5 boroughs. I remember going to Toronto when I was younger and it really is not as crowed as and of the 5 boroughs in NYC.
Old 12-16-2021, 07:57 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by Jim7707
Probably should have looked at an independent source that tests true city driving as opposed to EPA loop which doesn't replicate real world conditions. Or looked at all the complaints about poor fuel economy and the RDX. And although the RDX is slightly lower than most in its class all these 2.0L turbo 4's are going to suck in city driving.

You would have been much better off with a hybrid or electric vehicle for mostly city driving if poor fuel economy bothers you. I know I couldn't live with that kind of mileage and the reason the RDX moved so low on my list.

I do not subscribe to CR. Can you please provide CR's fuel economy for other turbocharged SUVs that CR evaluated? Perhaps an X3, Q5, XC60, CX-5, Aviator, etc.? If possible I'd like to know how much lower the RDX is compared to other similar SUVs. If the RDX returned 15 mpg in their test, how much better is the competition? Is it 1 mpg or several mpg? Thanks.

I honestly think it more of a mechanical problem.
I live in the boroughs so to be honest I don't drive that much at all. I will try your suggestion next time I drive the car and enable the boast on the display.
I can tell you I really don't think I am boasting the car thought but hey it's worth a shot.
I can say this I get the best gas mileage when the car is sitting in the garage. but the oil life ticks away. LOL another really annoyance,
I think Canada is a lot different than here in the 5 boroughs. I remember going to Toronto when I was younger and it really is not as crowed as and of the 5 boroughs in NYC.
Instead of monitoring boost, monitor rpm. (RPM, throttle position and boost are directly related.) Drive so the rpm never exceed 2,500 (1st gear's shift into second) and about 2,300 for all other gear shift-points. That rpm-range should provide plenty of acceleration to keep up with traffic. However if your traffic pattern demands more, PLEASE tell what rpm shift-point you use. That could be a critical factor in explaining your RDX's poor fuel economy.
Old 12-16-2021, 08:51 AM
Instructor

I do not subscribe to CR. Can you please provide CR's fuel economy for other turbocharged SUVs that CR evaluated? Perhaps an X3, Q5, XC60, CX-5, Aviator, etc.? If possible I'd like to know how much lower the RDX is compared to other similar SUVs. If the RDX returned 15 mpg in their test, how much better is the competition? Is it 1 mpg or several mpg? Thanks.
I have a sub... Here are some Consumer Reports reported city fuel economy numbers:

Acura RDX - 15 mpg
Buick Envision - 15 mpg
Cadi XT5 - 13 mpg
BMW X3 - 16 mpg (min 89)
Audi Q5 - 17 mpg
MB GLC - 15 mpg (min 91)
Porsche Macan (base) - 13 mpg (min 91)
Volvo XC60 - 15 mpg (min 91)
Infiniti QX50 - 15mpg
Genesis GV70 (2.5T) - 16 mpg
Lincoln Corsair - 15 mpg
LR/RR Evoque - 13 mpg
LR Disco Sport - 14 mpg

All fall short of their EPA city performance. EPA city performance requires (a) a long enough trip to have a significant majority of miles completed after the engine is warm and (b) light to moderate throttle inputs (which usually keeps the car off boost, as most cars have been designed to do well on this well-defined test).

The RDX can run on regular fuel. Some of the vehicles listed require 89 or 91 octane as a minimum. That will further increase fuel costs. I'm not sure if I got all of them - I only marked the ones I know off my head.

The following 4 users liked this post by Jordster:
Baldeagle (12-16-2021), jkozlow3 (12-17-2021), Ludepower (12-16-2021), Showkey (12-16-2021)
Old 12-16-2021, 09:14 AM
Racer

I have a sub... Here are some Consumer Reports reported city fuel economy numbers:

Acura RDX - 15 mpg
Buick Envision - 15 mpg
Cadi XT5 - 13 mpg
BMW X3 - 16 mpg (min 89)
Audi Q5 - 17 mpg
MB GLC - 15 mpg (min 91)
Porsche Macan (base) - 13 mpg (min 91)
Volvo XC60 - 15 mpg (min 91)
Infiniti QX50 - 15mpg
Genesis GV70 (2.5T) - 16 mpg
Lincoln Corsair - 15 mpg
LR/RR Evoque - 13 mpg
LR Disco Sport - 14 mpg

All fall short of their EPA city performance. EPA city performance requires (a) a long enough trip to have a significant majority of miles completed after the engine is warm and (b) light to moderate throttle inputs (which usually keeps the car off boost, as most cars have been designed to do well on this well-defined test).

The RDX can run on regular fuel. Some of the vehicles listed require 89 or 91 octane as a minimum. That will further increase fuel costs. I'm not sure if I got all of them - I only marked the ones I know off my head.
This information is extremely valuable! Thank you so much.
Old 12-16-2021, 11:16 AM
Instructor

This information is extremely valuable! Thank you so much.
Thanks for the info. Again I will try the display with the boost screen. I need to crank the car since there is a 3g shutdown update for the Acura Link.
The update is coming with in a week or two.
Old 12-16-2021, 12:26 PM
Drifting

Received 803 Likes on 528 Posts
It would have been nice if Acura / Honda had stated the true numbers on the EPA sticker.
I mean the sticker is just not there for show. I really wish the Fed's would go after them for lying about the true city gas mileage.
I know that when I had taken my car in for service they gave me a loaner MDX ASpec 2020 and I was getting 18 to 19 in the city.
Yes naturally aspirated v6 but still car is heaver. I drive it like I drove my RDX so if I can get that in the MDX, I should get that or better in the RDX.
Again Acura / Honda or who ever tested and stated the EPA for City was lying!!!
Just a quick FYI...the Lincoln Corsair 2.0t uses (recommends) reg fuel...and my overall average sits at 29.18 mpg for 15,000 miles. with 29 fill-ups at or over 30 mpg... for comparison, my RDX was 26.59 mpg overall with none at or above 30 mpg (one at 29.5) over 30,000 miles. ALL ARE CALCULATED, NOT BY THE CARS' READOUT.
Old 12-16-2021, 12:54 PM
Advanced

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
My 2020 Advance SH-AWD gets 21-23 mpg suburban driving and in slow, stop-and-go highway traffic. On the open road at 65-70 mph - almost always using adaptive cruise control - I get 25-28. Above 70 mph, it degrades pretty fast to the low 20s. Whether you’re traveling uphill or down makes about a 2 mph difference. I don’t think I have a heavy or a light foot, and I do drive “pedal-less” as much as I can, as someone mentioned previously. My wife, on the other hand, must have her right foot firmly planted on either the accelerator or the brake pedal, and her mileage (2019 RAV4 AWD) is much worse than mine.
Old 12-16-2021, 02:45 PM
EFR
Burning Brakes

Received 254 Likes on 183 Posts
Originally Posted by JB in AZ
Just a quick FYI...the Lincoln Corsair 2.0t uses (recommends) reg fuel...and my overall average sits at 29.18 mpg for 15,000 miles. with 29 fill-ups at or over 30 mpg... for comparison, my RDX was 26.59 mpg overall with none at or above 30 mpg (one at 29.5) over 30,000 miles. ALL ARE CALCULATED, NOT BY THE CARS' READOUT.
That's interesting as I generally observed/believed that 'premium' brand cars pretty much also went hand-in-hand with premium fuel....and that is pretty good MPG. Hope you are doing well.
JB in AZ (12-17-2021)
Old 12-16-2021, 04:16 PM
Racer

Received 63 Likes on 45 Posts
I drove 500 mph on a flat rural interstate highway in Comfort mode with Costco premium averaging about 72 mph and the car display said it was averaging 27 mpg. 2019 RDX AWD. Someday I will do a calculation the old fashion way on a road trip by filling up the tank, recording the odometer reading, and then on the next fill up record the gas pumped and the odometer reading and calculate the mpg to see how accurate the vehicle is at coming up with the average mpg.. In town I would estimate that I am in the 22 mpg range.

Quick Reply: 2020 RDX SH-AWD Very Low mpg