2019 RDX-Squeaky noise when going over bumps/hills

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2023, 02:04 PM
Intermediate

Received 32 Likes on 18 Posts
2019 RDX-Squeaky noise when going over bumps/hills

Hello, about 3 weeks ago, I started noticing a squeaking noise from my front suspension, most likely front driver side. It mostly happens when going over big bumps or hills that articulate the suspension and it’s more common in cold weather. The sounds is almost “crunchy” sounding, I’m guessing worn or dirty rubber bushings in the suspension? I don’t recall having that sound in the summer, and the noise got worse when they started salting roads. Anyone else have this experience? Recommendations on what I should do? It’s still under warranty should I take to dealer?

I don’t think there is something terribly wrong with suspension as it drives perfect still, and I can tell when something, even trivial, is off.

Thanks

Last edited by Dochorahan; 02-19-2023 at 02:07 PM.
Old 02-19-2023, 02:26 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 708 Likes on 550 Posts
known issue that has TSB, lower control arms
Old 02-19-2023, 02:39 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by russianDude
known issue that has TSB, lower control arms
Ok thank you. That’s unfortunate. Do you happen to know TSB number? I’ll probably take it to dealer this week or next.
Old 02-19-2023, 03:23 PM
Instructor

Received 41 Likes on 30 Posts
Originally Posted by Dochorahan
Ok thank you. That’s unfortunate. Do you happen to know TSB number? I’ll probably take it to dealer this week or next.
Lower Control Arm Noise TSB
The following users liked this post:
Dochorahan (02-19-2023)
Old 02-20-2023, 09:23 AM
7th Gear

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
I've been having this same issue for my 2020 RDX for about a year. It's going to be hard to explain/duplicate, because you're right it only happens when it's a bit cold. I made an appointment for Thursday at my local dealer after seeing your post/TSB.
Old 02-27-2023, 08:41 AM
Cruisin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Just had mine replaced at 35,000. Same symptoms you described. It's the bushings in the front control arms but they can't be replaced separately. $1500 job at my dealer for both control arms and alignment. Amazing how much better the car drives.. I didn’t realize other than the noise how bad it had gotten.. My extended warranty covered all but $100.

Last edited by JAGjr; 02-27-2023 at 08:44 AM.
Dochorahan (02-27-2023)
Old 02-27-2023, 09:30 AM
Intermediate

I ended up just spraying the suspension bushings with rubber rejuvenator (AT-205 and 3-IN-ONE RVcare Rubber Seal Conditioner) and the noise and squeaks went away immediately.
I'll report back eventually on how it holds up long term.
Shaun Newton (03-27-2024)
Old 02-27-2023, 01:38 PM
Suzuka Master

I ended up just spraying the suspension bushings with rubber rejuvenator (AT-205 and 3-IN-ONE RVcare Rubber Seal Conditioner) and the noise and squeaks went away immediately.
I'll report back eventually on how it holds up long term.

why did you do this? Are you out of warranty? You had perfect opportunity to had it fixed under warranty as they updated the part number.
Old 02-27-2023, 02:05 PM
Intermediate

My alignment is perfect and steering is centered and I don't want them to ruin that. I've had many cars and getting alignments correct is always a nightmare and sometimes I have to go back 2-3 times for then to get it right. I also don't want to wait a week for my car to be in the shop. Also, every other report of someone doing that TSB they report back saying the squeak came back anyway. I'll do the TSB if it comes back as last option.
Old 02-27-2023, 02:10 PM
Suzuka Master

My alignment is perfect and steering is centered and I don't want them to ruin that. I've had many cars and getting alignments correct is always a nightmare and sometimes I have to go back 2-3 times for then to get it right. I also don't want to wait a week for my car to be in the shop. Also, every other report of someone doing that TSB they report back saying the squeak came back anyway. I'll do the TSB if it comes back as last option.
I had TSB done two years ago and it did not cone back. Alignment is perfect. Just make sure you do it before warranty runs out.
Old 02-27-2023, 06:12 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 419 Likes on 317 Posts
I have noticed this problem too. Because it was not reproducible, I just kept ignoring. But now that I have seen this thread I will bring it up during my next service.

My car is out of factory warranty but I did buy an Acura extended warranty so hopefully that will cover it if some work is needed.

Would the service department check the parts impacted by the TSB to see if it needs to be performed? In other words, can they verify that what I was experiencing was actually due to this?
Old 02-27-2023, 08:25 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by anoop
I have noticed this problem too. Because it was not reproducible, I just kept ignoring. But now that I have seen this thread I will bring it up during my next service.

My car is out of factory warranty but I did buy an Acura extended warranty so hopefully that will cover it if some work is needed.

Would the service department check the parts impacted by the TSB to see if it needs to be performed? In other words, can they verify that what I was experiencing was actually due to this?

If you describe the issue, they should lookup TSB. You need to tell them to drive over speedbump, this is the easiest way to reproduce it.
Old 02-27-2023, 08:40 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by russianDude
If you describe the issue, they should lookup TSB. You need to tell them to drive over speedbump, this is the easiest way to reproduce it.
Thanks. I’ll try the speed bump thing. Local grocery store complex has some nasty ones.
Old 02-28-2023, 10:12 AM
Three Wheelin'

Definitely reproducible when going over a speed bump.

I'm having trouble figuring out if it's coming from the front or the rear, feels more like rear in my case.
Old 02-28-2023, 12:10 PM
Pro

Received 210 Likes on 114 Posts
I have a 21' Aspec and have yet to hear this squeaky... and my condo complex has multiple speed bumps, so my car is constantly going over "bumps." Hopefully, it has been solved for the 21' model year?
Old 03-01-2023, 09:56 AM
Pro

Received 144 Likes on 106 Posts
Lots of speed bumps in our neighborhood and I haven't noticed any suspension noises in our '21 either. Hopefully it'll stay that way. We have about 13K miles on it.
Old 03-10-2023, 03:57 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by anoop
Definitely reproducible when going over a speed bump.

I'm having trouble figuring out if it's coming from the front or the rear, feels more like rear in my case.
Turns out it was a leaking rear shock. About $750 in repair covered by warranty, not sure if it’s the powertrain warranty (6 yr/70k) or the extended Acura Care I bought.
Dochorahan (03-11-2023)
Old 03-11-2023, 10:11 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 672 Likes on 417 Posts
The problem really only arises in colder temperatures. At least that's the case for me. I don't notice it outside of the winter months here in NY.
Old 03-11-2023, 01:25 PM
Intermediate

Reporting after about 1,000 miles after spraying my 50k mile old suspension rubber bushings on my 2019 with automotive rubber rejuvenator. Noise hasn't returned and not sure if just in my mind, but I swear the suspension feels smoother (less articulation creaking/resistance?) as well. It just flows nicely over bumps and no noise at all. Very happy so far. If it returns I will take it to dealer but so far I don't see the need to do the TSB. This is what I used just FYI 3-IN-ONE RVcare Rubber Seal Conditioner

leomio2.0 (03-11-2023)
Old 03-11-2023, 02:57 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 672 Likes on 417 Posts
Acura should start selling 3-in-1 with their vehicles to lubricate seals/bushings. I use 3-in-1 Silicone Lubricant on the seals and brackets of the panoramic sunroof to help stop the abundant amount of noises that come from the godforsaken thing. It usually lasts a few months before reapplication is required, but it works to nearly eliminate all the noises coming from the thing.

I've already ordered the spray on Amazon to try on my LCA bushings. Thanks for the PSA.
The following 2 users liked this post by leomio2.0:
Dochorahan (03-11-2023), Shaun Newton (03-27-2024)
Old 03-12-2023, 02:55 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 405 Likes on 286 Posts
Noise hasn't returned and not sure if just in my mind, but I swear the suspension feels smoother (less articulation creaking/resistance?) as well.
Interesting! I thought it was my illusion. I used CRC silicone spray for the first time this winter. The noise actually got worse for the first few days and never went away, but the front suspension did become more compliant over speed bumps.
Old 03-13-2023, 08:29 AM
Suzuka Master

Preventing maintenance is a good idea for rubber bushing, but its not a solution if your suspension makes noises
Old 09-09-2023, 05:59 PM
Advanced

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
2020 aspec squeaky suspension

Literally bought my 2020 aspec after leasing for 4 years 11 days ago and noticed the suspension squeak. I had some other things done before the warranty ending Aug 31 but didn’t notice this at the time.

I am going to call the dealer Monday and see if they will cover as I am just out of warranty but if they say no, what are my options? I tried spraying both front lower control arm bushings from under (car on ground not on hoist) with silicone spray but still making noise.

If the dealer says no, can I escalate to district manager or am I pooched? Can these bushings be greased by my mechanic and thus avoid replacing both control arms??

sooooo pisssd!
Old 09-10-2023, 09:24 AM
Advanced

Originally Posted by drekman
Literally bought my 2020 aspec after leasing for 4 years 11 days ago and noticed the suspension squeak. I had some other things done before the warranty ending Aug 31 but didn’t notice this at the time.

I am going to call the dealer Monday and see if they will cover as I am just out of warranty but if they say no, what are my options? I tried spraying both front lower control arm bushings from under (car on ground not on hoist) with silicone spray but still making noise.

If the dealer says no, can I escalate to district manager or am I pooched? Can these bushings be greased by my mechanic and thus avoid replacing both control arms??

sooooo pisssd!
in addition to the squeaking, did anyone notice vibration at speeds over 60 mph/100 km/h? I know sometimes they say a symptom of failing control arms is vibration. However the steering wheel doesn’t shake it’s just that there’s a loud, humming noise intermittently. I have noticed that after spraying both control arms with the silicone rubber lubricant, the noise seems to have gone away. That won’t do anything if the control arms are failing. My understanding is the TSB is strictly due to the rubber rubbing against the body frame and not necessarily the actual control arm feeling. Is that correct?
Old 09-10-2023, 09:34 AM
Intermediate

sooooo pisssd!
Ask your dealer and see what they said, but I recommend taking it to an independent mechanic shop and have them diagnose the problem first (preferably Honda/Acura experts). It's been about 10k miles and a year since I sprayed my bushings with 3-1 silicone spray and the noise is mostly still gone.

in addition to the squeaking, did anyone notice vibration at speeds over 60 mph/100 km/h? I know sometimes they say a symptom of failing control arms is vibration. However the steering wheel doesn’t shake it’s just that there’s a loud, humming noise intermittently. I have noticed that after spraying both control arms with the silicone rubber lubricant, the noise seems to have gone away. That won’t do anything if the control arms are failing. My understanding is the TSB is strictly due to the rubber rubbing against the body frame and not necessarily the actual control arm feeling. Is that correct?
Correct, TSB is for rubber bushings being replaced with updated versions to avoid the rubbing. Noise could be due to wheels/tires needing balanced, or some plastic or body panel is loose (or something stuck in undercarriage), or something in the dash/interior is loose and rattling with vibrations.
konyo1 (09-10-2023)
Old 09-16-2023, 08:57 PM
Advanced

Ask your dealer and see what they said, but I recommend taking it to an independent mechanic shop and have them diagnose the problem first (preferably Honda/Acura experts). It's been about 10k miles and a year since I sprayed my bushings with 3-1 silicone spray and the noise is mostly still gone.

Correct, TSB is for rubber bushings being replaced with updated versions to avoid the rubbing. Noise could be due to wheels/tires needing balanced, or some plastic or body panel is loose (or something stuck in undercarriage), or something in the dash/interior is loose and rattling with vibrations.
I sprayed the heck out of both bushing areas with the silicone spray and the sound has returned. Is it possible for my mechanic to remove the control arms and lubricate the bushings and thus avoid having to pay for new parts?

Acura Canada won’t do anything until I pay $160 for a diagnostic and then it sounds like the best they will do (no guarantees) is cover parts which means I am likely out $600 for labour. This bloody thing was making noise while I was still under warranty but I was stupid and didn’t make them check. 2 weeks out of warranty with 44,000 km.
Old 09-18-2023, 12:48 PM
Three Wheelin'

I sprayed the heck out of both bushing areas with the silicone spray and the sound has returned. Is it possible for my mechanic to remove the control arms and lubricate the bushings and thus avoid having to pay for new parts?

Acura Canada won’t do anything until I pay $160 for a diagnostic and then it sounds like the best they will do (no guarantees) is cover parts which means I am likely out $600 for labour. This bloody thing was making noise while I was still under warranty but I was stupid and didn’t make them check. 2 weeks out of warranty with 44,000 km.
If it bothers you then you will have to pay out of pocket and then try and follow up with Acura Canada (not the dealer but the corporation) and see if they would be willing to reimburse part of it. Or if you haven't contacted them, try that first before spending the money. I had an extended warranty on my 2019 which covered a leaking shock to address squeaks going over bumps. But that's why I switched to a 2023. I don't see the auto market improving in terms of availability/pricing and I didn't want to own a car outside of warranty, so I decided to get a new one while there was a decent deal.
Old 09-20-2023, 03:29 PM
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

UPDATE.. went to dealer..Had to pay $170 diagnostic fee for the mechanic to drive it for 5 feet and say that it was the front brakes...rotor was pitted and seized callipers. Quoted me $1,000 CDN for new pads and rotors and $200 to clear rear brakes - total of $1400 CDN incl tax. I told them to politely shove it. Went to my mechanic and had new pads, new rotors, rear cleaning AND rust proofing done for $800 CDN!!!

I had the front pads/rotors replaced at 12,000 km under warranty due to noise so they lasted 30,000km before crapping out.. what pieces of crap AND they are WWAAAAAYYYYYYYY overpriced.

Word of advice.. find a good mechanic and avoid the gutting at the dealer.

If you need a great mechanic in Toronto (North York), let me know.
Old 09-21-2023, 09:42 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 326 Likes on 192 Posts
Originally Posted by konyo1
UPDATE.. went to dealer..Had to pay $170 diagnostic fee for the mechanic to drive it for 5 feet and say that it was the front brakes...rotor was pitted and seized callipers. Quoted me $1,000 CDN for new pads and rotors and $200 to clear rear brakes - total of $1400 CDN incl tax. I told them to politely shove it. Went to my mechanic and had new pads, new rotors, rear cleaning AND rust proofing done for $800 CDN!!!

I had the front pads/rotors replaced at 12,000 km under warranty due to noise so they lasted 30,000km before crapping out.. what pieces of crap AND they are WWAAAAAYYYYYYYY overpriced.

For pitted rotors and seize calibers at 30k KM of usuals seems really low mileage for that happen. Maybe some chemicals got on the rotors or brake pads? You have to be careful because certain chemicals can ruin them or make them squeal really bad, i definitely wouldn’t want to get silicone spray on them
Old 09-21-2023, 10:09 AM
Intermediate

No need to have a mechanic remove the control arms, just douse the rubber/bushings with the 3-1 RV rubber rejuvenator, try to be careful not to get it on the drivetrain or brakes. I think that with enough time the sound will go away.

Originally Posted by konyo1

Sounds about right for every car manufacturer dealership. I've had Audi, Toyota, Lexus, Ford, Jeep, and also Acura. They all charge an arm and a leg for simple services like brake pad replacement and new rotors/rotor refinishing. Just get the best parts (Ceramic or Hybrid brake pads and quality coated rotors) you can afford from RockAuto.com and have your mechanic install them, or install them yourself. It always end ups being higher quality parts and cheaper than OEM/dealership. Everyone gives the RDX crap for having bad brake rotors/pads, but that's one of the first "upgrades" I do on almost any brand car I buy, almost all OEM brake pads/rotors are generic cheap stuff that just works to get you a test drive and home safely. I had a Mustang that would make terribly loud screeching the morning after a rain storm (humidity rusted them instantly), I replaced the rotors and brake pads with quality aftermarket stuff and it was quiet and smooth after.