2019 RDX A-Spec USB ports very intermittently working

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2021, 01:15 PM
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2019 RDX A-Spec USB ports very intermittently working

Hello,

I have a 2019 Acura RDX A-Spec and three of the four USB ports only work intermittently to "charge" my iPhone. The main one that is used for playing music and charging works all the time for both music and charging. It seems to do this with different cords and multiple phones. It does not seem to be a cord issue since the same cord will charge using the main USB (One for playing music and charging) and the same cords seem to work fine using a regular Apple wall charger with them. I have had it in to the dealer a couple of times and they seem puzzled by this at this point. Was wondering if anyone else has had this problem and might know what is going on? Was wondering if there was an automatic resetting circuit breaker in there or something that could be messed up that works the other three USB ports and it shutting off the power for no reason.

Thanks for your help!!
Old 02-01-2021, 02:53 PM
Advanced

Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts
I have to ask.. Are you trying this with the official charging cable that comes with your phone from Apple? Reason being, I have had this issue with aftermarket cables in the past (not in the rdx) where they'll always work with the apple wall charger, or with a certain port, but then go intermittent with other ports. The only thing that solved it was using the official cord. Might not be your solution, but its food for thought. I really didn't believe it was possible until I saw it with my own eyes.
Old 02-01-2021, 03:36 PM
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Well after more research it does seem to work with some of my cables 100 percent of the time. It’s just weird how a cable will work for playing music in my Acura and charging, but intermittently for just charging in the other three jacks. The same cable will work fine everywhere else.

I will also mention that there are sellers on eBay that sell “supposed” Apple OEM cables for way way less that look EXACTLY just like Apple OEM cables even down to the packaging and obstructions in the box. I have some of those. I took a brand new one right out of the box and it would NOT work in my RDX. I have heard that there are chips in these cables.
Old 02-01-2021, 04:05 PM
Advanced

Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts
Those eBay ones are likely knock offs. Super hard to tell visually but the price always gives it away. Apple does chip them and it's always best to troubleshoot these issues using an official cable from Apple. I use plenty of aftermarket cables and rarely have issue. I'm currently using Anker brand cables in my RDX in the carplay port and another one under the console that I use with a fast charging adapter.