10 Speed Transmission=Turn off.

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2018, 10:23 AM
Intermediate

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
Oh Mo,

I don’t need google to tell me how much I paid for the same transmission flush at an Acura dealer - it was significantly less than $350.

The other thing is, the ZF was a known dud before Acura even used it and was terrible right out of the gate (I really have no idea who at Honda green-lighted that one). As far as I know, this 10-speed has not had any reported issues yet.

Don’t knock something you haven’t tried.
Old 06-20-2018, 11:08 AM
Team Owner

Received 4,416 Likes on 3,322 Posts
Originally Posted by Mo_Green
Wow! This is becoming an interesting topic. Just as interesting as a kid receiving their first new 10-speed. lol

"Do not attempt to check or change the automatic transmission fluid yourself." I hope this is an error or a mistake. Otherwise, we can assume this is code for voiding your transmission warranty if anyone other than the dealer touches the transmission? I can already hear the dealer's cash register gleefully ringing.
A couple years ago I remember Honda, along with a few other manufacturers, were getting annoyed that people were working on their own cars and wanted that option to be taken away from them. It's clear nothing ever came of that. However, I get the feeling that message in the owner's manual is just your typical legal jargon. Don't do this, don't do that, because the common owner is not all that in tune with anything car related. I consider it a blanket statement to cover themselves.

That being said, how would anyone know if your transmission fluid was replaced? Because the mark on the bolt is off? All you have to say is you know Honda has had issues in the past with transmissions and you wanted to be proactive so you took it to an independent shop to be replaced early. That won't void your warranty. You can replace the fluid every day and it won't void your warranty. You just need to be able to provide receipts and dates the work was done and that's it. You can even do it yourself, so long as you keep your receipts.

You would only risk losing warranty if you couldn't prove you had servicing done at the interval it is required. If you have the receipts and mileage written down, you're golden. This goes for any maintenance. Oil changes, coolant flush, brake fluid change, etc. You are not required to take your vehicle to a dealership.
Old 06-20-2018, 01:24 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 262 Likes on 160 Posts
Originally Posted by TacoBello
A couple years ago I remember Honda, along with a few other manufacturers, were getting annoyed that people were working on their own cars and wanted that option to be taken away from them. It's clear nothing ever came of that. However, I get the feeling that message in the owner's manual is just your typical legal jargon. Don't do this, don't do that, because the common owner is not all that in tune with anything car related. I consider it a blanket statement to cover themselves.

That being said, how would anyone know if your transmission fluid was replaced? Because the mark on the bolt is off? All you have to say is you know Honda has had issues in the past with transmissions and you wanted to be proactive so you took it to an independent shop to be replaced early. That won't void your warranty. You can replace the fluid every day and it won't void your warranty. You just need to be able to provide receipts and dates the work was done and that's it. You can even do it yourself, so long as you keep your receipts.

You would only risk losing warranty if you couldn't prove you had servicing done at the interval it is required. If you have the receipts and mileage written down, you're golden. This goes for any maintenance. Oil changes, coolant flush, brake fluid change, etc. You are not required to take your vehicle to a dealership.
Yeah....it almost seems that the car manufacturers are tossing the dealers a bone on how to make more profit now that the internet is taking the extra profit out of the sale of the car itself. I started a thread over in the DIY section about routine maintenance schedule and ease b/c it seems like the removal of the transmission fluid dipstick is an attempt to drive owners into the dealer's garage for basic service. Acura calls for very low transmission fluid service intervals and I am sure that the cost is about 3 times what it should be. On my 07 TL a 3 x 3 (or 1 x 3) is relatively cheap and very easy.
If/when I get the RDX, I will no doubt do the fluid replacement myself....but as you said, keep a log of the work and keep the receipts.
Old 06-20-2018, 10:27 PM
Drifting

Received 587 Likes on 432 Posts
FWIW I mostly commented on the Owner's Manual RE: ATF because in past vehicles it has usually had a section on how to check ATF level with the dipstick. On the ZF 9-speed and Honda 10-speed there ain't no dipstick. In the case of the ZF that may be partially because the darn fluid expands so much with temperature, but I think that unit is also a princess that is easily flustered by fluid contamination. The Honda 10-speed may also be sensitive to contamination. Dunno.
Old 06-22-2018, 01:41 PM
Cajun Gumbo Man

Received 55 Likes on 41 Posts
HONDA transmissions

And the 4 speed in the KA9's are bullet proof.....and work just great !
Old 06-24-2018, 04:55 PM
Drifting

Received 117 Likes on 99 Posts
Originally Posted by Dizzyg12

ive got one reason that manual transmissions will be extinct in 5 years - self driving cars.
Perhaps in North America, but not the world. I was just in The Azores (Portugal), and rented a Mazda 3 with a manual. Very nice except the reverse gear being top left, below 1st gear and down, and there is very few automatic cars there.
Old 06-24-2018, 05:02 PM
Latent car nut

Received 2,008 Likes on 1,410 Posts
Originally Posted by Dizzyg12
ive got one reason that manual transmissions will be extinct in 5 years - self driving cars.
Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain; there will still be plenty of manual offerings in the U.S. in five years.

Originally Posted by BLEXV6
Perhaps in North America, but not the world. I was just in The Azores (Portugal), and rented a Mazda 3 with a manual. Very nice except the reverse gear being top left, below 1st gear and down, and there is very few automatic cars there.
Old 06-24-2018, 07:18 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 279 Likes on 183 Posts
It's not full autonomous driving that's the short-term threat to the manual transmission, it's automatic braking systems. Unless something has changed in the past year or two, most major automakers have agreed in principle to make auto braking a standard feature by September 2022. Yes, auto braking can technically be used with a manual (BMW and Mazda), but the car will stall and need to be manually restarted. That in itself can be a hazard in a panic situation.
Old 06-24-2018, 08:17 PM
Latent car nut

Originally Posted by HotRodW
It's not full autonomous driving that's the short-term threat to the manual transmission, it's automatic braking systems. Unless something has changed in the past year or two, most major automakers have agreed in principle to make auto braking a standard feature by September 2022. Yes, auto braking can technically be used with a manual (BMW and Mazda), but the car will stall and need to be manually restarted. That in itself can be a hazard in a panic situation.
Something like 99 or more percent of all modern clutch linkages are hydraulic, yes, no? If I was designing an automatic braking system for a car with a manual transmission, I'd simply put in an auto clutch disengagement system; the car emergency stops, you pump the clutch pedal once, away you go.
Old 06-24-2018, 09:07 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by horseshoez
Something like 99 or more percent of all modern clutch linkages are hydraulic, yes, no? If I was designing an automatic braking system for a car with a manual transmission, I'd simply put in an auto clutch disengagement system; the car emergency stops, you pump the clutch pedal once, away you go.
Well if BMW and Mazda have both decided it makes more sense to stall the car in such situations, I'm guessing it's not as simple or as inexpensive as it sounds.
Old 06-25-2018, 03:59 AM
Latent car nut

Well if BMW and Mazda have both decided it makes more sense to stall the car in such situations, I'm guessing it's not as simple or as inexpensive as it sounds.
Then I guess I'll need to apply for my next patent on such a system; it really isn't all that complicated.
Old 10-11-2018, 02:39 PM
Pro

Received 227 Likes on 140 Posts
It's not full autonomous driving that's the short-term threat to the manual transmission, it's automatic braking systems. Unless something has changed in the past year or two, most major automakers have agreed in principle to make auto braking a standard feature by September 2022. Yes, auto braking can technically be used with a manual (BMW and Mazda), but the car will stall and need to be manually restarted.
...and the 2018 Honda Fit EX 6MT, all 2018 Accord 6MT's, and the forthcoming 2019 Civic coupe and sedan 6MT's. While manual models lack the low-speed follow function of the adaptive cruise control, the vehicle will tell when when you downshift and upshift (at least in the Accord).
Old 10-11-2018, 03:09 PM
Unregistered Member

Received 45 Likes on 32 Posts
Originally Posted by Mo_Green
My good friend just had his 9-speed replaced in his 2015 TLX. He found out through the joke of Acura Corp. Torrance, CA that they are currently out of stock with new replacements and rebuilt replacement 9-speed transmissions. Luckily he bought the 120k AcuraCare Extended warranty and is covered. However, he's at 119,990 miles. So the replacement rebuilt transmission has no warranty, since Acura Care runs out in 10 miles. I am all in with meaningful improvements in engineering. But I am all out with Innovation Users Don't Need, e.g., ISDN from the late 80's.

Although I like the other improvements in the 2019 over my 2016, my point is I won't be doing any long term testing of these 10 speeds for Acura in the first few years. There simply is no history of reliability for the 10-speed. Without an extended Acura Care warranty a new owner is taking a HUGE gamble that the 10-speed is more reliable than the 9-speed.
No worries...someone has to be the first. So far, I haven't heard of anyone having issues. That 9-speed is a German transmission. The 10-speed in Japanese, developed completely by Honda/Acura. For that reason alone, I'm betting that it will be more reliable.

Old 10-11-2018, 03:32 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Tom2
That 9-speed is a German transmission. The 10-speed in Japanese, developed completely by Honda/Acura. For that reason alone, I'm betting that it will be more reliable.
Country of origin is probably not a good way to determine "good" and "bad". Honda/Acura has a fantastic reputation for their manual gearboxes, and if you have to have a CVT, Honda's is the one you want. But it's a different story with their in-house automatics. The ZF 9-speed is a stinker for sure, but their RWD 8-speed is arguably the best conventional automatic on the market today.

Old 11-09-2018, 11:06 AM
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My 2019 RDX ASPEC is in the shop getting a new 10 speed transmission right now. With only 30 miles on it there were already issues. Slamming in to gear at low speeds, revving up before finally engaging and just a general sloppy harsh shifting turd. The 10 speed has been having issues, there's plenty of people complaining about it. Sadly our first Acura, there won't be another. A week in the shop and Acura in CA told our shop to just replace it since they didn't know what else to do. I'd rather have a new car.
Old 11-10-2018, 01:11 PM
Instructor

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts
Originally Posted by s_died
My 2019 RDX ASPEC is in the shop getting a new 10 speed transmission right now. With only 30 miles on it there were already issues. Slamming in to gear at low speeds, revving up before finally engaging and just a general sloppy harsh shifting turd. The 10 speed has been having issues, there's plenty of people complaining about it. Sadly our first Acura, there won't be another. A week in the shop and Acura in CA told our shop to just replace it since they didn't know what else to do. I'd rather have a new car.
I've noticed the revving a few times, like it won't go into the next gear. More concerning is when I hit the gas sometimes the car doesn't move for a second or two. There's a throttle lag and it's not turbo lag.
Old 11-11-2018, 12:56 AM
You'll Never Walk Alone

Received 835 Likes on 519 Posts
Originally Posted by s_died
Sorry to hear about that. You probably just got a bit unlucky.

Mine has been awesome and getting better as the mileage goes up. Smooth and quick shifts, does exactly what I want at the right moment.