Test Drive of the 2017 MDX Sport Hybrid

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2017, 07:49 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 1,164 Likes on 536 Posts
Test Drive of the 2017 MDX Sport Hybrid

I initially posted this commentary in the RLX forum, but was asked to post it here. So here it is:

Coming from the perspective and experience of a current RLX Sport Hybrid owner, I think I can shed light on the driving experience in a slightly different way than someone who gets behind the wheel for the first time and does not have anything to compare it to. So here it goes:

The 2018 ICE engine MDX drives exactly the same as the current one we have now in every way. There are some very minor differences from the 2016 to the 2018, but none that will likely matter to anyone who is shopping today to upgrade their 2014 or newer MDX.

In the 2018 MDX Sport Hybrid however, there will be a stark difference in the driving dynamics. Having driven the RLX SH for two and half years, the RLX is a rocket compared to the MDX SH, not that the MDX is slow. But getting back into the RLX SH immediately after, the MDX was markedly less fleet of foot. I would NOT call the MDX SH a Sport Hybrid, but a Luxury Hybrid instead. It was silky smooth, extremely quiet, and the suspension is almost creamy over bumps that were audible in the non-hybrid MDX. The handling in the turns is 1000% better than in the regular MDX. The power delivery gauge is updated and looks wicked cool in operation. The engine shut off at 57-58 mph and went into EV mode which is the same as the RLX SH. However, the big news here is when it is in EV mode and the ICE engages, it is liquid smooth. Big freaking difference! In the RLX SH it sounds almost like a small "pop" but in the MDX SH is nearly imperceptible. I experimented with the comfort, normal, sport and sport + settings.
  • Comfort setting: More and longer and more frequent EV engagement and way better gas mileage. I saw 28-36 mpg in short stints.
  • Normal setting: Equivalent EV/ICE engagement as I see everyday in the RLX SH and mileage was in the 26-28 mpg range for the time I drove it that way.
  • Sport and Sport+: Very little difference between the two that I could sense without spending more time with the vehicle. ICE was always engaged, the thrust was clearly more than the other settings, and the mpg dropped to the low 20's almost immediately.
My estimation of the actual power from a seat of the pants perspective is that it is likely producing 321 hp as advertised, but the torque feels more like 350 ft/lbs or more. I did a very quick 0-60 and my g-timer said it posted a 5.4 second run. That feels just about right. It is clearly more powerful than the non-hybrid version, but it is not the rocket the RLX SH is. Maybe after driving the MDX SH for a longer time I might feel differently, but that is my first impression. We are fairly firm on getting the dark cherry pearl with the parchment interior. We will make our final decision soon. Also we will go with the Advance not the Tech. Also the MDX SH I drove is the only one my dealer has in stock, and will not be ordering another one until I place my order. The one I drove had 4 miles on it and I was the first to touch it. In the meantime it will go back on the showroom floor, next to the NSX.
The following 6 users liked this post by RLX-Sport Hybrid:
George Knighton (05-14-2017), neuronbob (05-14-2017), pgeorg (05-14-2017), Tony Pac (05-14-2017), TSX69 (05-15-2017), wstr75 (05-14-2017) and 1 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 05-14-2017, 01:51 PM
Instructor

Received 32 Likes on 17 Posts
How do you compare the interior quality of the mdx to the rlx? I found the two to have same interior quality. The mdx sport hybrid is obviously more fuel efficient, faster and smoother than my wife's 2012 mdx advance shawd but her car feels more sporty to me. I bkame the smaller engine 3.0L vs 3.7L on mine.
Old 05-14-2017, 08:04 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 4,612 Likes on 2,193 Posts
Thank so for posting it here!
Old 05-14-2017, 08:49 PM
AZ Community Team

Received 1,582 Likes on 952 Posts
thanks! this is the kind of reviews that make my day. Unbiased and to the point! appreciate it man.
The following users liked this post:
RLX-Sport Hybrid (05-15-2017)
Old 05-15-2017, 08:38 AM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by quartzinterior
How do you compare the interior quality of the mdx to the rlx? I found the two to have same interior quality. The mdx sport hybrid is obviously more fuel efficient, faster and smoother than my wife's 2012 mdx advance shawd but her car feels more sporty to me. I bkame the smaller engine 3.0L vs 3.7L on mine.
The interior fit and finish is very good. The leather stitching has beautiful piping in it and the leather is at least as good as the material in the RLX SH. I can't speak to your description of "sporty", but the handling of the MDX-SH (Luxury Hybrid) is excellent for an SUV with a higher center of gravity. The suspension dampers are fantastic! I wish they were installed on the RLX-SH now. Maybe they are in the 2016+ versions. I hope that answers your questions.
Old 05-15-2017, 11:37 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 875 Likes on 669 Posts
Originally Posted by RLX-Sport Hybrid
The interior fit and finish is very good. The leather stitching has beautiful piping in it and the leather is at least as good as the material in the RLX SH. I can't speak to your description of "sporty", but the handling of the MDX-SH (Luxury Hybrid) is excellent for an SUV with a higher center of gravity. The suspension dampers are fantastic! I wish they were installed on the RLX-SH now. Maybe they are in the 2016+ versions. I hope that answers your questions.
I'm wondering if they used soft touch materials on the lower doors like they have on the RLX? It's doubtful considering the not huge jump from the normal drivetrain in terms of cost.
Old 05-15-2017, 01:08 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by RDX10
I'm wondering if they used soft touch materials on the lower doors like they have on the RLX? It's doubtful considering the not huge jump from the normal drivetrain in terms of cost.
I can't say I noticed. I'll have it next month or in early July and then I will be prepared to comment further. I wonder if it has the capless gas cap like the RLX-SH?
Old 05-15-2017, 03:38 PM
Racer

Received 56 Likes on 55 Posts
I just want to retrofit that suspension into an ICE MDX of any 3G year. Modders unite!!
Old 05-15-2017, 06:37 PM
Three Wheelin'

The Luxury Hybrid's dampers are truly awesome. I am taking a longer test drive tomorrow so I mope to report more.
Old 05-15-2017, 07:05 PM
Suzuka Master

The Luxury Hybrid's dampers are truly awesome. I am taking a longer test drive tomorrow so I mope to report more.
Can you get back to me on the use of soft touch please? I'm really curious.
Old 05-15-2017, 07:08 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by RDX10
Can you get back to me on the use of soft touch please? I'm really curious.
Yes I will. I have a check list of things I wanted to look at.
Old 05-15-2017, 09:03 PM
Suzuka Master

Yes I will. I have a check list of things I wanted to look at.
Thank you very much! Looking forward to your further review!
Old 05-16-2017, 02:37 PM
Three Wheelin'

UPDATE:

So I went back to have a longer experience with the MDX Luxury Hybrid as I am calling it. I should get that trade marked asap. Here are my additional impressions and to answer some of the other comments.

Suspension:
  • Acura absolutely nailed it with these dampers. It is the best overall ride quality of any Acura produced of any year previously! The best descriptor is to classify the ride as "creamy" over the bumps. Large, small or potholes, the suspension is absolutely marvelous. There are absolutely no mechanical sounds in the suspension travel. The bumps are felt and barely audible. It is as close to an air suspension as one can get without being one. I'm blown away!
Transmission:
  • It is every bit as brilliant in the MDX as it is in the RLX Sport Hybrid. Fast shifting, silent, and other than a slight hesitation to find the lowest gear when rolling at about 10 mph, it is awesome.
Interior Fit and Finish:
  • Excellent. Lower door interior panels are the same as in any other MDX.
Audio System:
  • Excellent. There is an additional speaker in the center of the roof, but the staging is excellent and the sound quality is also very good. Plenty of low end and crystal clear high frequencies.
Performance:
  • My preference is to use the comfort setting over normal and definitely not either of the sport options. It provides the most EV use and the mpg is amazing. After I did my 0-60 runs again which were 5.44 and 5.39 in sport +, I reset the mpg to zero for normal driving. In comfort mode I saw mid 30's easily for more than 10 miles of mixed driving of 40-70 mph. The total EV miles were 5.6 miles and ICE engagement was 5.9 miles to return an average of 33.4mpg. For comparison I retested the RLX Sport Hybrid right after and it produced a 0-60 in 4.81 seconds. The RLX SH feels way faster in every mode of driving. The torque delivery is much more immediate from any speed. I ran the same route in the RLX-SH and saw 34.2 mpg so they are very similar.
Noise:
  • The interior could not be more quiet. It is even better than the RLX-SH.
Overall:
  • The gas cap is the same one in the RLX-SH which is cap-less.
  • I'm not sure which hybrid vehicle I will choose on a trip. The MDX Luxury Hybrid is supremely smooth and just fantastic. Bravo Acura!
The following 4 users liked this post by RLX-Sport Hybrid:
HotRodW (05-20-2017), ostrich (05-16-2017), RDX10 (05-16-2017), TSX69 (05-17-2017)
Old 05-16-2017, 03:23 PM
Suzuka Master

Thank you very much, I really appreciate you taking the time to write this excellent review. I like that you mention the quiet ride, it's about darn time Acura addresses this. Seems to me like Acura really stepped it up. If you're seeing ~5.4s, I'd imagine with the 3.5l plus Hybrid tech it would be below the 5 second mark! All in all it seems like an excellent combo of performance and efficiency. I for one am very happy with the recent trend towards hybrid and ICE combos. I don't like pure EV's at all.
RLX-Sport Hybrid (05-16-2017)
Old 05-16-2017, 05:05 PM
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I'm shocked the dealer allowed the long test drive and 0-60 runs; good on them for supporting a customer. Mine would have frowned on it. Also, any insight into the towing situation or ability to add a hitch to carry bikes?
Old 05-16-2017, 05:09 PM
Three Wheelin'

I have no idea about bike racks.
Old 05-16-2017, 06:42 PM
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I have no idea about bike racks.
To be clearer, the current information points to NO towing with the Hybrid. Further, it is *rumored* that even installing a tow hitch is a no-no by Acura. Some of the best bike racks available are attached to the vehicle by way of a class III hitch (think Thule or Yakima).
Old 05-17-2017, 08:40 AM
mrgold35

Received 1,508 Likes on 1,176 Posts
The sh-sh-awd MDX checks all my boxes EXCEPT the hitch box. I just need a hitch for a 4-bike rack or hitch mounted StowAway2 cargo carrier with 4-way lights. I have don't want to try and lift 4 bikes (two being +60lbs ebikes) on the roof for transport. I also have a Yakima roof box; but, I can't use it if I have the bikes up there for longer trips. Seems like it wouldn't make that much of a difference to get a used sh-sh-awd RLX because there isn't that much different using my roof cargo box with aftermarket temp rails and buying a trunk mounted bike hitch?
Old 05-20-2017, 05:22 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 276 Likes on 180 Posts
Nice review ... thanks, RLX-Sport Hybrid.

My nearest dealer finally received their first MDX Sport Hybrid this week, so I went for a test drive today. While I'm not quite as enthusiastic, I found it overall quite impressive. It's the most diesel-like thrust I've felt from a gasoline-powered crossover. Passing at highway speeds is effortless. It's quiet, it's comfortable, and it handles remarkably well for its size and weight. The 7-speed completely conceals that it's a DCT gearbox.

On the downside, I don't care for Acura's 2-screen infotainment system. But at least Acura provides physical controls for basic HVAC functions. I asked if there was a chance Acura would upgrade the system for 2018, and the salesperson gave me an emphatic "no". He insisted his version is here to stay until the new model arrives in 2019. Of course, salespeople have been wrong about such things in the past.

Personally, I have no need for three rows of seats. 99% of the time it's just me and cargo, so I'd rather have a 2-row option. To that end, I'm hoping they'll offer this hybrid drivetrain in the 2019 RDX. And if it's a little larger than the current RDX, all the better. One can hope.
Old 05-24-2017, 11:55 AM
Intermediate

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
I did an extended test drive of the hybrid last night and agree with most of the items posted. The comfort mode gave me 31 mpg at 45 to 55 on country roads, the dampers are excellent and the hybrid drive is seamless in general. The cruise control does not hold speed well going down hills, had it set at 35 and increased speed to almost 50 before it downshifted and held that speed. My Audi A6 TDI uses both down shift and brakes and always holds within 1 to 2 mph. As other forums have said the gas filler door was not a great fit on this example. The headlights are great, the power is ample and the comfort is high as is the handling. Overall a very good car. The drive train makes this the preferred choice for me over the 9 speed MDX gas only. Too bad they don't put a tow mode in that eliminates the hybrid drive or limits it and allow light towing or at least a hitch for attaching a bike rack. It should also have the spare tire option on the order sheet as does the FWD, heck the normal SH-AWD has the spare! I have written Acura corporate on this and they confirm no spare tire option this year. I encouraged them to add it for 2018!!!!!!
TSX69 (05-25-2017)
Old 06-04-2017, 07:10 PM
Three Wheelin'

Copied from the RLX Forum posts:

So here are some additional impressions:

In the last MDX my wife typically saw 19.5 to 20 mpg in typical driving to work. Today in her first day with it she produced 26.9 mpg and she does not know how to maximize the mpg yet. I drove the same route tonight to see what I could do for the same trip and I produced 33.8 mpg round trip with about 50% in EV mode (about 18 miles each way with about 7 miles on the highway each way). I am very impressed with the overall smoothness of the throttle and braking inputs relative to the RLX Sport Hybrid. The best way to try to describe the input differences are to say that the MDX SH feels analog, while the RLX SH feels digital. Sport mode, brake hold and S1 in the MDX SH is way more brisk off the line than just plain sport mode or what we might call eco mode in the RLX SH. However, the wonderful torque we all love in the RLX SH and the immediacy it produces, is muted in the MDX SH. Clearly it is less in volume, but it seems that the programming is slanted towards smoothness of delivery, rather than performance. Thus my recommendation that people look at it as a luxury hybrid, not a sport hybrid by name.

The brakes are strong relative to the traditional MDX, but definitely less firm than in the RLX SH. An interesting item to note is the EV power delivery. It is different in the same turns at the same speeds, steering and throttle inputs between the MDX and RLX hybrids. For example, in a turn where I would typically drive at 40 mph, the RLX SH would immediately display 1-2 blue bars of discharge on the outside real wheel, and 1-2 green bars of regenerative charge on the inside rear wheel. In the MDX SH at the same speed, steering and throttle input, it showed 1-2 bars of discharge to both rear wheels at the same time. If I was traveling at 45 mph in the same turn, then the 2-3 bars of blue discharge and reciprocal green regenerative charging was displayed on the rear wheels. The EV mode is easier to trigger and run longer in the MDX SH, and the battery seems to charge faster than in the RLX SH.Back to the dampers. OMG they are awesome! I think they are as close to an air ride suspension or the magna-ride shocks in the Cadillac models with them as you can get. Now I would not say the MDX SH rides like an S-Class MB, but it is absolutely superb over the bumps and is just a joy to drive. You feel the bumps faintly, but do not hear the suspension unless it is a significant object or bump you are dealing with. The higher sidewalls and lower speed rating (softer more compliant sidewalls) of the tires may also play a part in this ride experience.

The AC in the seats are great and can be linked to the auto AC system, but because the motor system is so quiet, even on the lowest setting, the seat and vent AC noise is noticeable. I doubt most would notice it in a non-hybrid system because that is inherently more noisy by comparison.

I have not found that there is setting to adjust the brake force like in the RLX SH. If it an option, I have not found it yet.The steering is spot on in the MDX SH from my perspective. Less “boosted” than in the RLX SH, not that I am complaining. The transmission is identical in operation to the RLX SH…..awesome!

The transition from EV to ICE motor engagement is way smoother and more quiet in the MDX SH.Overall the power delivery is tuned to be more linear, while the RLX SH has way more throttle input options in regards to the experience it produces. The seats are great front and rear. The leather is a slight step up from the RLX SH, and it is very good in that car so that is saying something.

The gas cap is not as easy to insert the gas nozzle as it took a little finagling to get it to work. It is a little difficult, but maybe that will be different over time. I know that sounds stupid, but it wasn't easy to use it the first time when I topped off the tank from the dealer. The lighting package is superb……period.

The interior lights are also excellent, especially in the foot wells.

The glove box has more room in it than in the last MDX we had. Spare tire is optional.

Power ports are everywhere. I counted at least 7 USB ports and 3 plug ports. if there are more, I have not discovered them.The center console in the 2nd row is a winner. The heated seats for the 2nd row will keep Ms. Daisy happy back there. The heated steering wheel will help my wife in the winter with her near constant cold hands. I have not tried the cruise control options yet.

That is all for now.

Next Post:

The reverse issue is resolved in the MDX SH. As soon as I click on the reverse button, even if it is in EV mode at the time, the ICE kicks in immediately as well as the camera function. Problem solved. The infotainment system does seem to be faster to respond thus far from what I can report. As a foot note, last night when I came home from the grocery store, for the 3.4 miles, 3.1 of those miles were in EV mode. I think the mpg it registered for that trip was like 50.2 mpg. I have seen over 60 mpg in the RLX SH on the same route driven in the same manner. As long as the engine is pre-warmed, starts out in EV mode, and since that particular ride is more down hill than up, I can repeatedly reproduce that mpg performance. So far we are seeing for this first tank about 27.3mpg for the first 150 miles. The needle just moved off of the full mark. It says it range to empty is 425 miles. I don't hold a lot of stock in that figure, but it does give an idea to how the system is operating. I'm still very impressed.

This evening I will begin my paint treatment process so once I get my hands on the sheet metal I will report if there is anything that the eye misses that tactile touch discovers in the design updates on the vehicle.

Pictures:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0Bzp...ew?usp=sharing
neuronbob (06-05-2017)
Old 06-08-2017, 11:26 PM
Racer

Received 49 Likes on 42 Posts
Is it 2017 or 2018 Sport Hybrid? i am more interested to see comparison between 2017 MDX and 2017 MDX Hybrid. Some of the experience from op is the same in the regular 17 MDX
Old 06-09-2017, 09:32 AM
Intermediate

I believe that there are only 2017 Sport Hybrids MDX's available, I just bought one and it is titled as a 2017. I understand they will make under 2000 of them in 2017.
Old 06-09-2017, 09:54 AM
Three Wheelin'

The title should be 2017, not 2018. Hopefully that can be corrected by a moderator. That was my error. Congratulations on the purchase!!!! I will look forward to your comments and impressions!
Old 06-09-2017, 10:58 AM
Intermediate

So far 1400 miles, running mostly in Comfort mode, results mirror your test, this is the most economical mode and the ride is best with the dampers doing a great job. In expressway driving at 75 mph I have averaged one tank at 25.6 and the other at 26.3, slower at 55 to 60 27+, throw in some country roads and 30 is reasonable in Comfort mode. The ACC holds speeds up and down hills at expressway speeds, but on country roads at 45 mph it gains over 10 down hills, you must manually downshift to even come close to holding speed down hill at lower speeds. My Audi holds within 1 to 2 mph in the same conditions applying rear brakes and downshifting the ZF 8 speed.
This car is quieter then my Audi A6 and is a great highway cruiser, did a 6 hour trip, no fatigue, seats are softer then the Audi but support you well. Miss the up and down adjustment of the lumbar support and wish the headrests moved fore and aft like the Audi.
The MDX Hybrid was $20,000 less then a Q7 and was my choice as well as my wife's as it drives nicer and the Q7 features were not worth the extra $20K.
The dual clutch 7 speed shifts much better then the 9 speed in the normal MDX, heck even the 9 speed in the Chrysler Pacifica we rented shifted smoother! The team that set up the electronic controls on this 7 speed should have a go at the 9 speed, the transmission and the low speed torque of the Hybrid sold us on this car.
Old 07-19-2017, 04:22 PM
Instructor

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by flyboy
So far 1400 miles, running mostly in Comfort mode, results mirror your test, this is the most economical mode and the ride is best with the dampers doing a great job. In expressway driving at 75 mph I have averaged one tank at 25.6 and the other at 26.3, slower at 55 to 60 27+, throw in some country roads and 30 is reasonable in Comfort mode.
Now that you've had your car for a while, what is the life time average MPG on your computer?
Old 07-19-2017, 04:24 PM
Instructor

Copied from the RLX Forum posts:

So here are some additional impressions:

In the last MDX my wife typically saw 19.5 to 20 mpg in typical driving to work. Today in her first day with it she produced 26.9 mpg and she does not know how to maximize the mpg yet. I drove the same route tonight to see what I could do for the same trip and I produced 33.8 mpg round trip with about 50% in EV mode (about 18 miles each way with about 7 miles on the highway each way).
since you've owned the car for a while what is the lifetime mpg average as according to your trip computer? Thanks.
Old 07-19-2017, 04:46 PM
Intermediate

At 3400 miles it is at 26.2 for all driving, again my daily 20 mile drive is mostly urban/rural; 45 to 55 mph and on it I can easily get 30+, in more congested driving 26 to 27. On a long extended 75 mph trips (50 miles or more) it shows around 26. Checking the computer against actual fuel used it is accurate within 0.1 mpg repeatedly. Again no match for my Audi TDI but fine for what it is. I run in Comfort mode almost all the time.
Old 07-19-2017, 05:10 PM
Burning Brakes

Slightly off topic, but is premium fuel recommended for the Sport Hybrid's 3.0L V6?
Old 07-19-2017, 10:04 PM
Intermediate

The Sport Hybrid recommends Premium for the 3 L V6 same as the 3.5L in the straight MDX
HotRodW (07-19-2017)
Old 07-22-2017, 12:33 AM
Instructor

At 3400 miles it is at 26.2 for all driving, again my daily 20 mile drive is mostly urban/rural; 45 to 55 mph and on it I can easily get 30+, in more congested driving 26 to 27. On a long extended 75 mph trips (50 miles or more) it shows around 26. Checking the computer against actual fuel used it is accurate within 0.1 mpg repeatedly. Again no match for my Audi TDI but fine for what it is. I run in Comfort mode almost all the time.
thanks. What kind of elevation changes do you have in your daily commute? Also how is your driving style? Speed limit? 5 mph above? Or 10 mph above? Or you have a radar detector?

Im just trying to figure out what kind of real world MPG I'd get. I currently drive the 13 RX 450h with 29 mpg advertised. I barely get 25 with careful driving.

In car and driver test, they only managed to get 22mpg (RX 450h only got 23mpg). On another C and D test they got 25 mpg using their 75mph loop with no city driving.....
Old 07-22-2017, 02:43 AM
Instructor

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
What's the payload capacity on these mdx hybrids?
Old 07-22-2017, 07:37 AM
Intermediate

Elevation changes under 100 ft ( I live in Kansas!!), gentle driving style, if you romp on it mileage goes down even in comfort, 2 to 3 over speed limit, so quite conservative. My normal drive is all 45 and 50 mph roads. I do not have or use a radar detector. If I drive aggressively it drops by at least 2 mpg or more. I will try a tank in sport mode sometime just to see but in Comfort the electric engages much more often. I drove a loop around Kansas City yesterday, mostly interstate with 15% urban, 65 to 70 mph, 30.2 on the 22 mile trip there, 28 on the trip back, it was a N and S route and winds were out of the south at 15 to 20, a factor in the 2 mpg difference each way. I twas a 99 degree day, so air was working hard the whole time. The mileage is equal or better then what I expected. I imagine the magazines ran in normal or sport mode and they probably did not drive with a gentle foot.
Old 07-22-2017, 12:43 PM
Instructor

Elevation changes under 100 ft ( I live in Kansas!!), gentle driving style, if you romp on it mileage goes down even in comfort, 2 to 3 over speed limit, so quite conservative. My normal drive is all 45 and 50 mph roads. I do not have or use a radar detector. If I drive aggressively it drops by at least 2 mpg or more. I will try a tank in sport mode sometime just to see but in Comfort the electric engages much more often. I drove a loop around Kansas City yesterday, mostly interstate with 15% urban, 65 to 70 mph, 30.2 on the 22 mile trip there, 28 on the trip back, it was a N and S route and winds were out of the south at 15 to 20, a factor in the 2 mpg difference each way. I twas a 99 degree day, so air was working hard the whole time. The mileage is equal or better then what I expected. I imagine the magazines ran in normal or sport mode and they probably did not drive with a gentle foot.
your info is very valuable. Thanks for sharing. I live in the La La Labd where there are Spider-Man and Wonder Woman literally impeding traffic on Hollywood Blvd. you can guess the stop and crawl situation. Yet when we get on highways we regularly gun the gas pedal just to keep up with traffic to about 75 mph, that is until you see something like this sign. https://goo.gl/images/QJCjbV

so it makes sense that I am getting good mpg on my current car...... Please keep us posted as the weather turns cold in the winter.
Old 07-22-2017, 12:45 PM
Instructor

your info is very valuable. Thanks for sharing. I live in the La La Land where there are Spider-Man and Wonder Woman literally impeding traffic on Hollywood Blvd. you can guess the stop and crawl situation. Yet when we get on highways we regularly gun the gas pedal just to keep up with traffic to about 75 mph, that is until you see something like this sign. https://goo.gl/images/QJCjbV

so it makes sense that I am not getting good mpg on my current car...... Please keep us posted as the weather turns cold in the winter.
Old 07-27-2017, 03:08 PM
Advanced

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Does the hybrid version have cylinder deactivation feature for the ICE?
Old 07-27-2017, 08:48 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by flanker271
Yes, it does.
Old 07-27-2017, 08:49 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by flanker271
Yes it does. It is silent when it engages.
Old 08-14-2017, 08:06 AM
NJT

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
Hi all-I have a 2010 MDX SH-AWD (2nd Gen) and still love driving it. It's feels very sporty and is so easy to drive. With that said, for those who had a 2nd Gen MDX and now have the sports hybrid, can you share what the biggest differences are from the driver's perspective?
Old 08-14-2017, 11:13 AM
Safety Car

Received 420 Likes on 314 Posts
The original post by RLX-Sport-Hybrid pointed out the differences.
Major difference is better performance and improved mpg as a bonus. Torque vectoring seems more pronounced and can occur during braking, acceleration, or constant speed. Acceleration is better especially from stop. The DCT is amazingly smooth.

Quick Reply: Test Drive of the 2017 MDX Sport Hybrid