Showroom Grade MDX Wash

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2018, 10:35 AM
Advanced

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Showroom Grade MDX Wash

I am always amazed at the quality of detailing you see at any car dealership with all cars shiny and looking new. Had recently took a trip from Houston to Bossier City and the beast encountered some rain and mud along the way. I had stopped going to commercial car-washes after our new MDX purchase so I thought why not try to re-create some of that magic at home and see how close I get. Had some early morning time today so would like to share the results of my work and pen my thoughts down.

GREAT NEWS ! YOU CAN do it. It also helps to have the whole front area (this obviously gets the most dirty) wrapped in clear bra like X-Pel, which makes cleaning the front very easy. I don't bother cleaning the running boards, just spray them with water.

First, I lightly rinsed with hose on "delicate" setting. Then using the Turtle soap solution washed the car using mitts to get rid of the visible gunk. To get rid of the brake dust in the wheels I used TRIX solution in a spray bottle and allowed the sprayed solution to sit for 5 mins. Advantage of using TRIX Vs IRON-X is that it gets rid of both tar and rust and also smells decent. IRON-X on the other hand has a rotten egg smell. Anyway, solution turns purple when it reacts with the iron and brake dust so you visually know it's working. You can also scrub the wheels with a moderately hard brush for better results but I skipped this step.

Then it was time for a bath with hose on "moderately strong" setting followed by a wipe down with a chamois cloth. Allowed the car to naturally dry (after pat down) for 15 mins in a rising sun setting before proceeding to apply the Turtle wax. Then Wax on, allowed wax to "sit" for 5 mins, then Wax Off.

Finally dry wipe the wheels and tires and spray on Meguairs Ultimate Black on tires. Wipe off excess spray from wheels. The spray has a setting time of 24 hrs and shine lasts for 2 months. It is advised not to drive the car for at least an hour after application.

The entire detailing process lasted slightly more than an hour. I plan to stick to these 4 products as I got good results. They are not top-of-the-line nor expensive, got everything at Walmart. I know much of this is easy and I may be OCD sometimes but these products worked well for me.

To put this in perspective, this kind of work done by any reputed detailing place in Houston goes for $200 to $300 (exterior hand wash, wax, wheel cleaning, interior vacuum, tire polish). My total investment was one hour of my morning time (good exercise) and less than $6 per detailing instance. This calculation is based on the total price of chemicals and mitts being around $50 and they should last me for at least 8 similar jobs.

Pleased with my work, your comments are welcome. Pics are posted below:

Last edited by like2ace; 02-28-2018 at 10:41 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by like2ace:
moose66 (02-28-2018), victorber (02-28-2018)
Old 02-28-2018, 12:15 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 329 Likes on 228 Posts
Nice work!
This is similar to what I do with our MDX every two weeks.
But I use a Pressure Washer and Foam Cannon, it's so much easier than just a hose. And it saves you lots of water too.
Don't forget to use the two-bucket method or you risk contaminating your wash mitt that causes more scratches.
I prefer Chemical Guys products! All good stuff.
Once a year I recommend a good clay-bar and new coat or two of Rejex.
Old 02-28-2018, 01:41 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by jdpdata
Nice work!
This is similar to what I do with our MDX every two weeks.
But I use a Pressure Washer and Foam Cannon, it's so much easier than just a hose. And it saves you lots of water too.
Don't forget to use the two-bucket method or you risk contaminating your wash mitt that causes more scratches.
I prefer Chemical Guys products! All good stuff.
Once a year I recommend a good clay-bar and new coat or two of Rejex.
Thanks, yes 2-bucket it is.
Old 03-01-2018, 07:28 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 303 Likes on 211 Posts
Originally Posted by like2ace
Thanks, yes 2-bucket it is.
Or a single bucket with a grate at the bottom to let the stuff settle below the level the mitt goes into the bucket (for those of us who choose a single-bucket method because we have enough trouble keeping from kicking over the single bucket that's full, let alone a second one :-) )
Old 06-08-2018, 02:15 PM
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Did you DIY the xpel?
Old 06-08-2018, 02:19 PM

Received 16,260 Likes on 11,971 Posts
Originally Posted by andysinnh
Or a single bucket with a grate at the bottom to let the stuff settle below the level the mitt goes into the bucket (for those of us who choose a single-bucket method because we have enough trouble keeping from kicking over the single bucket that's full, let alone a second one :-) )
i'm always amazed with my rinse bucket with grit guard....it get's filthy!!
even my soap bucket with grit guard gets slightly dirty.
lol I might have to move to a 3 bucket system...
Old 06-08-2018, 08:16 PM
Instructor

Received 28 Likes on 24 Posts
Looks great.. ur def not OCD. U want Ocd detailing join me and other forum members from Adam’s polishes.
Chem guys is good product. But im addicted to Adam’s.
You have a good base plan. Just like others said..foam gun def helps prevent microswirls. Be careful with the chamois. Although that color car helps hide some minor marring.
also use at least 2 buckets..never use same bucket for wheels (could trap brake pad dust).
Turtle wax is ok. But there are some real easy to use products out there that would just add shine.
One product (of the nearly products i have) is called h20 guard and gloss. Its made to aid in drying the car and it puts a coat of wax on it as well. Its to be used after proper /polishing/waxing, as a maintenance product. Its awsome. I also use a cordless blower to dry the car (called E go—from Hd) works great for touch less drying!!
But this is only the tip of iceberg!! You asked!! Good luck.
Old 06-08-2018, 09:35 PM

Received 16,260 Likes on 11,971 Posts
I also enjoy Adam's line. Dislike chemguys
Old 06-08-2018, 11:52 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by mdxci
Did you DIY the xpel?
Nope, that’s way too much work. Paid an authorized X-Pel shop to do the whole front area including the 4 handle cups and door edges.