Notices

How to get 2014 MDX to read SMS from iPhone

 
Old 07-12-2013, 08:51 AM
  #1  
Registered Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 48
Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts
How to get 2014 MDX to read SMS from iPhone


I found a way to get the MDX to pair in such a way to iPhonethat it can read, show and even reply to incoming SMS. J



I hope this helps.



I have pictures for this, but I have no way of attaching them. If anyone wants pictures, let me know and I will email them to you.



· Pair the iPhone per the normal instructions

· While connected to MDX Go into iPhone Bluetoothsetup menu, then find “HandsFreeLink” and click on the blue arrow to the rightof it, this will bring you into the advanced config menu for that connection

· Per the first picture, turn on the “showNotifications” button

· Turn the iPhone off and then on

· When the iPhone is back up proceed

· Then go to the acura phone setup in the menu andgo to the email/sms menu.

o Youwill now be able to enable this.

· While driving if you get an SMS you will get aprompt if you want to read it. Picture 2

· If you select read, it will then read it back.Picture 3

o Itwill not show the message until you are in park. Picture 4

· You can also choose to reply while driving.Picture 5
fun2drive is offline  
The following 4 users liked this post by fun2drive:
9SpeedTran (06-17-2019), bailey24 (03-14-2018), corzey (09-03-2014), trexter (01-19-2015)
Old 07-18-2013, 10:15 AM
  #2  
Registered Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: NY
Posts: 184
Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
Thanks . Your instructions were perfect. I couldnt figure it out prior to your post.
TLbullet is offline  
Old 07-18-2013, 11:51 AM
  #3  
Registered Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 94
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by fun2drive View Post
I found a way to get the MDX to pair in such a way to iPhonethat it can read, show and even reply to incoming SMS. J



I hope this helps.



I have pictures for this, but I have no way of attaching them. If anyone wants pictures, let me know and I will email them to you.



· Pair the iPhone per the normal instructions

· While connected to MDX Go into iPhone Bluetoothsetup menu, then find “HandsFreeLink” and click on the blue arrow to the rightof it, this will bring you into the advanced config menu for that connection

· Per the first picture, turn on the “showNotifications” button

· Turn the iPhone off and then on

· When the iPhone is back up proceed

· Then go to the acura phone setup in the menu andgo to the email/sms menu.

o Youwill now be able to enable this.

· While driving if you get an SMS you will get aprompt if you want to read it. Picture 2

· If you select read, it will then read it back.Picture 3

o Itwill not show the message until you are in park. Picture 4

· You can also choose to reply while driving.Picture 5
I would love to see the pictures...
snookssec is offline  
Old 07-18-2013, 01:07 PM
  #4  
Registered Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 94
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by snookssec View Post
I would love to see the pictures...
It works...sort of!! :-) Once I figured out the setting was on the iPhone and not the MDX...LOL! Ok so it works for SMS but not email. it reads the messages to me and when I "reply" it fails to send. based on the message it seems like it's trying to send as an email reply and not iMessage/SMS.
snookssec is offline  
Old 07-18-2013, 04:17 PM
  #5  
Registered Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 48
Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by snookssec View Post
I would love to see the pictures...
here you go


fun2drive is offline  
The following users liked this post:
corzey (09-03-2014)
Old 07-18-2013, 05:41 PM
  #6  
Registered Member
 
Colin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Posts: 6,802
Received 1,010 Likes on 565 Posts
Originally Posted by snookssec View Post
It works...sort of!! :-) Once I figured out the setting was on the iPhone and not the MDX...LOL! Ok so it works for SMS but not email. it reads the messages to me and when I "reply" it fails to send. based on the message it seems like it's trying to send as an email reply and not iMessage/SMS.
I managed to get this far a few months ago on my 2013 ILX. Basically, everything worked up to "reply". It would never send the reply for me. However, there may be a distinction (to the system) between regular SMS and iMessage.

However, at least in our car, if you don't mind using the "home" button on your iOS device, you can use Siri to read and reply to messages. In this way, the messages do not display on the screen but are read out loud through the HFL system. On the plus side, you can compose any message and are not limited to the six predetermined replies.
Colin is offline  
Old 07-18-2013, 06:07 PM
  #7  
Registered Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 94
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by Colin View Post
I managed to get this far a few months ago on my 2013 ILX. Basically, everything worked up to "reply". It would never send the reply for me. However, there may be a distinction (to the system) between regular SMS and iMessage.

However, at least in our car, if you don't mind using the "home" button on your iOS device, you can use Siri to read and reply to messages. In this way, the messages do not display on the screen but are read out loud through the HFL system. On the plus side, you can compose any message and are not limited to the six predetermined replies.
Your approach is exactly what I have been doing since day 1. :-D Still, it was cool to have it come in via the onboard screen. Also, it appears to NOT being catching my email just my iMessages (which it WILL READ just not reply).
snookssec is offline  
Old 07-18-2013, 06:46 PM
  #8  
Registered Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: NY
Posts: 184
Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
Yea i couldnt send msg either. But my saleman said this feature wouldnt work at all. So its a start.
TLbullet is offline  
Old 07-19-2013, 07:33 AM
  #9  
Registered Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: San Antonio, TX
Posts: 22
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Both my email and texts are coming thru (iPhone 5) but the system won't identify the source (email vs text) nor will it show the sender (especially helpful for text). I haven't tried to respond but don't expect any different results than what everyone else is posting.
HarvInTX is offline  
Old 07-29-2013, 08:15 PM
  #10  
Registered Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Delta, BC, Canada
Age: 42
Posts: 17
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thanks for the post.
I will try it tonight!
Pinoy MDX is offline  
Old 07-30-2013, 04:57 AM
  #11  
Registered Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 48
Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts
As I mentioned in earlier posts.

On iPhone 5's with the latest software, you can get both SMS and e-mail. On the earlier iPhones (including 4s) you can only get SMS.

I am guessing that it's due to the later software on the 5, as both 4s and 5 have similar Bluetooth support v4. So perhaps with IOS 7 we will get more complete functionality across all iPhones that can support IOS7
fun2drive is offline  
Old 08-02-2013, 10:42 PM
  #12  
Registered Member
 
alkus77's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Age: 45
Posts: 101
Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
To reply to SMS will not work , this is why: SMS text messaging is currently compatible with certain Blackberry phones with the MAP protocol
alkus77 is offline  
Old 08-03-2013, 11:42 PM
  #13  
Registered Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 94
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by fun2drive View Post
As I mentioned in earlier posts.

On iPhone 5's with the latest software, you can get both SMS and e-mail. On the earlier iPhones (including 4s) you can only get SMS.

I am guessing that it's due to the later software on the 5, as both 4s and 5 have similar Bluetooth support v4. So perhaps with IOS 7 we will get more complete functionality across all iPhones that can support IOS7
This has, unfortunately, not been my experience. I am using the iPhone 5 with the latest update applied and my system will only read SMS. This may, however, be due to the fact that I have 4 Exchange accounts setup on my phone! LOL! Not sure, but for now I'm sticking with Siri for reading/replying to messages.
snookssec is offline  
Old 08-04-2013, 06:30 AM
  #14  
Autofahrer
 
TinyRK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Chicagoland
Posts: 304
Received 43 Likes on 33 Posts
All you need is the MAP-Profile,
according to this iphone4 and up are supported and should work with iOS6 or newer;

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT3647
TinyRK is offline  
The following users liked this post:
corzey (09-03-2014)
Old 08-04-2013, 03:07 PM
  #15  
Registered Member
 
Colin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Posts: 6,802
Received 1,010 Likes on 565 Posts
Originally Posted by TinyRK View Post
All you need is the MAP-Profile,
according to this iphone4 and up are supported and should work with iOS6 or newer;

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT3647
I am wondering if Apple's iMessage is not a "real" SMS message within the system? Although it acts like a text message perhaps the nature of it falls outside of the MAP profile?
Colin is offline  
Old 06-04-2014, 03:21 PM
  #16  
New Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Posts: 1
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hello everyone...I know that this thread is for iPhones...hopefully someone with some Android knowledge might be able to help me out.

I recently got a 2014 MDX and my wife and I both have a Galaxy S5. Hers is able to easily get text messages (and they can even be read aloud by the car!), however, mine doesn't even recognize when a text message arrives. For my phone's text message settings in the car "enable text/email" is set to on, however, select account and new text/email alert are greyed out.

I tried unpairing and repairing the car and at first all of the settings were available, but no text messages still came through. When I restarted my car the settings were greyed out again.

Does anyone know if there's a setting in the car or on my phone that I can change to get this properly working for my phone too?

Also on another note, I have key 1 and my wife has key 2. I set my phone as the primary phone for key 1, however, sometimes when we get in the car together (with both of our phones, but she doesn't have her key 2 with her), her phone will connect instead of mine. Does anyone know why that would happen?

Thanks in advance for the help!
mdxfan47 is offline  
Old 11-14-2014, 09:26 PM
  #17  
Registered Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Age: 35
Posts: 58
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Anyone able to get text messages with iPhone 6? Everything connects it seems but I can't get any messages. Checked settings on iPhone. In MDX it shows to select account. It then shows my iPhone info. It is highlighted. I click it and nothing happens. It just blinks. No texts show on screen still.
Any ideas?
Moddiction is offline  
Old 05-12-2015, 05:39 PM
  #18  
Registered Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Orlando
Posts: 131
Likes: 0
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
This worked great for my 2016 ILX tech.. thanks
john94si is offline  
Old 11-22-2015, 09:04 PM
  #19  
New Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Age: 47
Posts: 1
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Moddiction View Post
Anyone able to get text messages with iPhone 6? Everything connects it seems but I can't get any messages. Checked settings on iPhone. In MDX it shows to select account. It then shows my iPhone info. It is highlighted. I click it and nothing happens. It just blinks. No texts show on screen still.
Any ideas?
Did you ever figure things out? I've got an iPhone 6 and just bought a 2014 MDX with tech package and I'm running into the same problem you are (or, hopefully, were).
Montyburns00 is offline  
Old 07-09-2016, 05:35 PM
  #20  
New Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Age: 32
Posts: 2
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2016 mdx to read texts out loud while driving

Originally Posted by john94si View Post
This worked great for my 2016 ILX tech.. thanks
Sorry for such a late reply to these threads but I dont know where to get this info! Does anyone know if the 2016 mdx will read texts messages out loud WHILE DRIVING? It doesnt help me to read them out loud when I'm parked and can read the text myself. Even my 2013 rdx did this, can't imagine that Acura would go backwards on technology!
Alipinski is offline  
Old 06-11-2019, 08:08 PM
  #21  
New Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2018
Age: 68
Posts: 1
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by fun2drive View Post
I found a way to get the MDX to pair in such a way to iPhonethat it can read, show and even reply to incoming SMS. J



I hope this helps.



I have pictures for this, but I have no way of attaching them. If anyone wants pictures, let me know and I will email them to you.



· Pair the iPhone per the normal instructions

· While connected to MDX Go into iPhone Bluetoothsetup menu, then find “HandsFreeLink” and click on the blue arrow to the rightof it, this will bring you into the advanced config menu for that connection

· Per the first picture, turn on the “showNotifications” button

· Turn the iPhone off and then on

· When the iPhone is back up proceed

· Then go to the acura phone setup in the menu andgo to the email/sms menu.

o Youwill now be able to enable this.

· While driving if you get an SMS you will get aprompt if you want to read it. Picture 2

· If you select read, it will then read it back.Picture 3

o Itwill not show the message until you are in park. Picture 4

· You can also choose to reply while driving.Picture 5
Hi, having all kind of problems trying to getting the text/email function to work on my 14 MDX. could you send pictures?
tx
jhclark28 is offline  
 
Related Topics
Thread
Thread Starter
Forum
Replies
Last Post
tallyrlx
3G RLX Audio, Bluetooth, Electronics & Navigation
12
02-26-2016 03:44 PM
notfast
1G & 2G MDX Discussion (2001-2013)
8
10-21-2015 01:16 PM
SilverJ
1G & 2G MDX Discussion (2001-2013)
13
09-21-2015 02:40 PM
rmittal
1G & 2G MDX Discussion (2001-2013)
0
09-19-2015 08:41 PM
aces2412
3G MDX Discussion (2014+)
6
09-07-2015 08:40 PM


Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Quick Reply: How to get 2014 MDX to read SMS from iPhone


Contact Us - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.