Got a loaner today.

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2013, 04:11 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 463 Likes on 197 Posts
Got a loaner today.

60% impressed.

It's only a Base FWD, so that's one thing, but get ready for the list.

Understanding how good of a deal any Acura is aside from maybe the ILX and TSX, the MDX offers plenty for it's price. However, you can tell noticeably where Acura has cheapened.

First of all, I love how smooth and quite the ride is. Extremely silent compared to our '04 TSX with worn Raptor ZR's.

Secondly, the engine. Of course the J is a champ, but for it to make a little less power then it can and should, it's one of the best in it's class as is any Honda engine. But the fact that it's pulling this 4,000lbs 3 row SUV around like it is with FWD is saying something.

Thirdly, over all design. While it's a bit watered down, it's still pretty nice. My only gripe is how huge the grill is.

Now for the bad.

-Sound system. While this is the base, I expected more out of a X watt sound system. I can't seem to find the wattage online, but where ever it is, it lacks. Compared to our 2004 BASE TSX, it's pretty week. (I know the TSX has a smaller cabin, speakers are in a different arrangement ect.) but come on.. I've already tweaked the settings to were Treble and Bass and Sub are all on 6, yet it still sounds as if it's muffled, even on FM and XM. It;s slightly clearer with USB's and CD's but not by much. The radio in our TSX is noticeably clearer.

-Materials. In our TSX, the armrests, the padding, the head liner, everything is soft touch and extremely plush. In the MDX, everything is thinner and feels easier to rip. I under stand cost cutting allows us to have more for less, but it's hard to get over those little things.

-The steering. As far as I know, most cars today have light steering. But oh man, this thing, even when in Sport mode feels like it's built out of feathers. But we did come form a heavy weight hydraulic steering in the TSX so..

-The lack of LED's!! I already knew you have to opt for the higher trim MDX's and RLX's to get the FULL, complete LED treatment inside and out (aside form brake and turn signals) but I didn't know how bad it would be. At this price point, everything needs to LED. If your building them at the same place, in the same factory, why would you buy two different types of parts to go on the same model? Acura, you're paying for two types of light bulbs! Just pay for one, they don't cost but 10 cent to make!

That's about it as far I know. We're keeping it over night so I'm going to play around in it a bit more to see what I do or don't like.

Few pics.

Parked behind a '06-'08 TSX with some tacky red "i-VTEC DOHC" stickers on the rear doors that weren't even aligned right. Oh man my OCD was raging. It was the first thing I noticed when I got out and looked at it. Lets hope Acura takes care of our baby. No extra dings or scratches in the doors or rips in the leather please!

Oh and check out our tint differences! I thought we had tinted windows, jesus look at his!! Is that even legal here in NC??

Old 11-11-2013, 04:48 PM
Racer

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
welcome to Acura's new idea of what luxury should be. Which is poor execution, craftsmanship, sub-par quality, with fancy LED headlights in a lifted minivan. The TSX and Gen 2 MDX are still the best available. Skip the 14. They have lots of work to do on it. This is coming from an owner of a 14 who dumped it because it was so bad. Have you pressed the IDS button below the shifter? That will tighten the steering.
The following users liked this post:
lindros2 (11-25-2013)
Old 11-11-2013, 05:25 PM
Burning Brakes

Yupp. Shifter is in "S" and pressed the button 3 times untile Sport came up in the MID highlighted in green!

I believe the sub woofer is either blown or is rubbing up against what ever where ever it's located at. Above vol. 15 it sounds... eh not rattly but like it's hitting something. Because it's enclosed god knows where I can't really look and see. I do know it's in the right rear somewhere.

I have a video.

My step dad likes the pick up a lot. I'm not used to the torque of a J. It's nice. Very linear.
Old 11-11-2013, 05:47 PM
Racer

engine/drivetrain/handling are good for the 14 MDX, that's where it ends. And NO, the subwoofer is NOT blown, it just sucks. Its terrible in the Base and marginal in the Tech and Advance. It is just that bad.
lindros2 (11-25-2013)
Old 11-11-2013, 06:00 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Vegas_TL04
engine/drivetrain/handling are good for the 14 MDX, that's where it ends. And NO, the subwoofer is NOT blown, it just sucks. Its terrible in the Base and marginal in the Tech and Advance. It is just that bad.
My mom thought it sounded really good. She said it thumps.. nahh not so much.

Our TSX gives back massages, and that's with the stock 360 watt system with original speakers.

I hope Acura gets their sh** together. It's like nothing's the same anymore, people aren't the same, the year isn't the same, they don't make things the same. It's a shame. Acura needs to rise up and fix this.
Old 11-11-2013, 06:03 PM
Racer

^^^HAHA! My mom and sister both think their 14 MDX Techs "bump" also. Then I had them listen to my 13 Tech against their 14 Tech and they were like - ohhhhhhh...yeah, big difference LOL.

Couldn't agree more with your assessment, Acura needs to get back to its roots and get their $hit together, bigtime. MDX is a disappointment, as is RLX and ILX. TLX may be the nail in the coffin, but it doesn't matter to me at this point as I'm not in the market for a sedan nor am I in the market for another Acura until 4G MDX. It will be Audi until then.
Old 11-11-2013, 06:22 PM
Burning Brakes

Have fun with that!

I don't think these things really break the MDX... I mean they're big let downs.. but I don't think they will stop me for buying one (I'd have to get a SH-AWD because it's probably the last mechanical of it's kind). Would be great if they addressed the MDX's flaws in MMC, doubt it, but would be nice.

I bet they think it thumps and bumps harder because how much quieter the MDX is compared to other later Acura's. One thing I dislike about the Sub other then the shitty sound is how it takes away form the door speakers. Like in our TSX, all the speakers. The rear decks, the doors, all of them. They all thump to their own. Where as in the MDX you have a shitty sub doing the majority of the work and it results in a uneven and weak amount of bass.

I really like being able to feel the speakers TSX both in the doors and in the back of the seat thanks to the rears on the deck.

Last edited by Timmy18; 11-11-2013 at 06:27 PM.
Old 11-11-2013, 06:25 PM
Racer

Understood, and definitely to each his own. You can see my other post about all my problems and then my perceived/subjective flaws and decide for yourself. To some, it's not a deal breaker. I've overlooked ALOT in the past in staying loyal to Acura for many years. But the 14 MDX is the straw that broke the camel's back. IMHO, not since the 2010+ 2G MDX, 2G TSX, or 3G TL has Acura made their products better for me. The 14 MDX still is missing a ton of key equipment and features that SHOULD be there for this price range, or at least optional.
SlimTL (12-20-2013)
Old 11-11-2013, 06:30 PM
Burning Brakes

I've seen your post and have even commented in it.

I will admit, you are very picky about odd things.. but everyone is that way toward something.

The 2G TSX is where I seen Acura starting to fall. Pretty much in 09+ Acura went down hill.

Wish they would just learn.
Old 11-11-2013, 06:32 PM
Racer

Yep, we all have our weird things. Acura keeps going the opposite direction and I feel Lexus is moving in the direction Acura USED to be in. One thing that's sad, saw the new 14 Kia Optima Limited, and that thing is nicer looking inside and outside than the 4G TL hands-down. That's pretty damn sad. Now, I did not drive the Kia, but part of owning the car is not just the feel behind the wheel, it's also aesthetics, luxury, and equipment. Sad day when I think a Kia is better looking than an Acura.
Old 11-11-2013, 06:45 PM
Burning Brakes

yeah.. I don't really have my eyes set on them. I can't really say I have my eye's set on any car right now other then the 1G TSX and 2G Legend. Those cars are timeless. I like the '09 RL too, but it's a pig like the 4G TL, which I sorta like in a '12+ SH-AWD Advanced trim only.

MDX is nice, I like it but it needs improvements, so does the RDX.

Mom loves the RLX, she even asked we we could drive home the one in the showroom. I like the RLX too.... I'd take a RLX with non-Hybrid SH-AWD and 310HP over the Hybrid 377HP one just because. But the don't do them like that. I'd also take a TSX V6 SH-AWD but they don't do them like that either.

I've said it plenty of times, but Acura needs to make SH-AWD at least available if not standard on each model. Helps differentiate them from Honda a bit more.
Old 11-11-2013, 07:16 PM
Racer

The thing that gets me the MOST is that it's no secret Acura is struggling for their identity as they are lost in a sea of competitors. To further muddy/blend-in their identify, they offer LED headlights in both Acura and Honda, LaneWatch system in Honda not even available in Acura, Dual Screens in both Honda/Acura. Just makes no sense. Why buy the TL when the Accord looks better and is cheaper? To me, I'd pay more for the TL to get the personalized service, better warranty, and not the "bells and balloons" type experience you get at Toyota, Honda, etc. But I don't care for the 4G TL. Now compare the 3G TL to the current accord and I'd STILL take the 3G TL any day and twice on Sunday.
Old 11-12-2013, 04:40 PM
Pro

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts
The thing that gets me the MOST is that it's no secret Acura is struggling for their identity as they are lost in a sea of competitors. To further muddy/blend-in their identify, they offer LED headlights in both Acura and Honda, LaneWatch system in Honda not even available in Acura, Dual Screens in both Honda/Acura. Just makes no sense. Why buy the TL when the Accord looks better and is cheaper? To me, I'd pay more for the TL to get the personalized service, better warranty, and not the "bells and balloons" type experience you get at Toyota, Honda, etc. But I don't care for the 4G TL. Now compare the 3G TL to the current accord and I'd STILL take the 3G TL any day and twice on Sunday.
PLEASE give it a rest, the 2014 MDX is selling at numbers never attained before, ergo it looks like 99.99% of owners are pretty darned satisfied with their 2014's. Since you don't own one any more feel free to move to the 2nd gen board and extol the praises about how much better the 2013 is, they'll be happy to hear it over there. On this board it be nice to hear from actual owners of the new model. I've been around this board for almost a decade now, when I sell my car I stop posting for a car I don't have anymore. I even say goodbye at the time. Maybe just maybe you should follow suit.
Old 11-12-2013, 04:50 PM
Racer

Perhaps you can give it a rest. I thought it was quite interesting that; yet, ANOTHER person took issue with the quality of materials, crappy sound system, missing items that should be there, etc. Go police yourself. I could; frankly, care less what you do now, have done in the past, or will do in the future. One thing we can certainly predict, anyone who has anything negative or constructive criticism of the 14 MDX, you'll be sure to be there to be a flaming fanboy to argue the car is perfect in every way - with your lackluster expectations and ill-perceived ideas of quality, value, and luxury. Yes, I will agree with you on ONE thing - the 2013 is a vastly better vehicle for reasons previously mentioned. The 14 MDX has only a better system with IDS and fuel economy.
Old 11-12-2013, 07:32 PM
Pro

Thumbs down

Perhaps you can give it a rest. I thought it was quite interesting that; yet, ANOTHER person took issue with the quality of materials, crappy sound system, missing items that should be there, etc. Go police yourself. I could; frankly, care less what you do now, have done in the past, or will do in the future. One thing we can certainly predict, anyone who has anything negative or constructive criticism of the 14 MDX, you'll be sure to be there to be a flaming fanboy to argue the car is perfect in every way - with your lackluster expectations and ill-perceived ideas of quality, value, and luxury. Yes, I will agree with you on ONE thing - the 2013 is a vastly better vehicle for reasons previously mentioned. The 14 MDX has only a better system with IDS and fuel economy.
I can't believe what a conceited as@ you are. Ive owned 15 Hondas including 6 acuras, from a 1982 civic to an RL and 2 mdxs. I've driven almost every car under the sun from 2 cylinder soviet times Skodas to Ferraris. Since you seem to be such an insufferable snob I can also inform you that I'm a proud member the 0.25 tax bracket, plus, my weekend lake 4500 square foot "cabin" overlooking lake superior makes your house look like a hovel, of course that doesn't include my 150k Boston Whaler for cruising the Apostle Islands for chilling time. I'm not even going to try to explain my 6000 square meter prairie home since from what I've seen from your abode architecture is probably not your forte. However unlike you I don't feel the compulsion to show others my "status" unless irritated by a little pr&ck like you. was driving "luxury" and "sports" cars when your mom was wiping your as&. So please feel free to enlighten me with your extensive and profound knowledge regarding
automobile performance or quality.

Last edited by RL06tech; 11-12-2013 at 07:39 PM.
Old 11-12-2013, 08:41 PM
Racer

i've found in life that people who feel the need to list what they own and then proceed to list them on a forum, are more than likely full of it, full of themself, have a really small package, or all of the above. i've also found these very people that feel the need to list what they own are more than likely exaggerating, lying, and/or completely in an opposite situation. again, i could care less that you are 100 years old or 10 (how you act). i could care less about how many hondas or acuras you've owned. i promise you i've owned far more luxury vehicles than you could dream of. i'm not going to rattle off the number, the square footage of my multiple properties, etc. i am quite comfortable with who am i, what i have, what i do, where i live, what i own, etc. i suggest you act your age, grow up, and learn to listen to all opinions, other than your own.
Old 11-12-2013, 09:19 PM
2G TLX-S

Received 1,133 Likes on 813 Posts
Unfortunately, Honda/Acura looks at nothing but the sales figures.

Even with sub-par audio and material qualities, the 2014 MDX is still selling like hotcakes, which means that customers are not considering them as significant as a deal breaker.

On the other hand, even with the top-rated Krell audio system and top-notch material quality, customers are still not buying the 2014 flagship RLX, which more than reinforces the fact that these factors have little to no impact on customers buying all these $50+K Acura's.

An AZ member in the RLX forum just bought a 2014 RLX (merely 8 months since debut), MSRP just under 52K for 40K, which is a discount of $12,000, plus 0.9 for 60 months. Go figures.
Old 11-12-2013, 09:54 PM
Pro

i've found in life that people who feel the need to list what they own and then proceed to list them on a forum, are more than likely full of it, full of themself, have a really small package, or all of the above. i've also found these very people that feel the need to list what they own are more than likely exaggerating, lying, and/or completely in an opposite situation. again, i could care less that you are 100 years old or 10 (how you act). i could care less about how many hondas or acuras you've owned. i promise you i've owned far more luxury vehicles than you could dream of. i'm not going to rattle off the number, the square footage of my multiple properties, etc. i am quite comfortable with who am i, what i have, what i do, where i live, what i own, etc. i suggest you act your age, grow up, and learn to listen to all opinions, other than your own.
You're the one saying that I surely was trolling because I probably didnt own or couldn't buy an MDX. Neither was I the one boasting about my digs, while showing his new OLD mdx in front. Just showing, that before you open your trap, to judge others you shouldn't take for granted that everyone else is a punk. In this case you dissed someone to who you'd probable be referring to as yes Boss or Thank You Mr. So and so as do the my 65 employees. I buy Hondas and Acura not as a status symbol but rather because they are a good value unlike my "peers" who stupidly throw away money on cars because of such crap notions as "marque" and "prestige".
Old 11-12-2013, 10:15 PM
Racer

^^^ actually, NO. you first suggested i didn't own one, or couldn't afford one, then accused me of purposely breaking it. i encourage you once again to comprehend what you read and remember what you say. from this point forward, you can bloviate and spew all the crap you want. you'll be ignored by me. btw, i'm my own boss and answer to no one. may u have good luck with your purchase. i'll be very happy driving my 'old' 2013 new mdx, and you say i'm the snob? wow. good luck to you and those who live amongst your cloud of smug. cheers.
Old 11-12-2013, 10:18 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by Edward'TLS
Unfortunately, Honda/Acura looks at nothing but the sales figures.

Even with sub-par audio and material qualities, the 2014 MDX is still selling like hotcakes, which means that customers are not considering them as significant as a deal breaker.

On the other hand, even with the top-rated Krell audio system and top-notch material quality, customers are still not buying the 2014 flagship RLX, which more than reinforces the fact that these factors have little to no impact on customers buying all these $50+K Acura's.

An AZ member in the RLX forum just bought a 2014 RLX (merely 8 months since debut), MSRP just under 52K for 40K, which is a discount of $12,000, plus 0.9 for 60 months. Go figures.
very true. acura has admitted they tailored this car to improve current gen 2 mdx buyers. i suspect the loyalists, which i once considered myself until jaded by the 14, will continue to buy this mdx. but what will be interesting is if the 3g mdx can bear its sales crown far past the first couple of model years, like the gen 2 carried throughout its life cycle.
Old 11-13-2013, 09:47 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 180 Likes on 129 Posts
Now that teacher has broken up the playground pissing contest we can get back to the thread context.

I, as have many, made it clear that the 3G is a disaster but there are some people who think that it is a great car. If you consolidate all of the complaints on this and other forums then it is apparent that there are some major issues that would negate its choice as a purchase if you put any value on functionality. If some people think that it is the best car that they have ever owned then what they were coming from must have been inoperable.
RL06tech - I do not need any comments from you regarding my disqualification from commenting because I do not own a 3G. I have done a lot of homework and legwork regarding this car and I am very glad that the features on my present car actually work as opposed to most people are praying for a 3G MMC already.
Vegas_TL04 (11-13-2013)
Old 11-13-2013, 02:27 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by db22
Now that teacher has broken up the playground pissing contest we can get back to the thread context.

I, as have many, made it clear that the 3G is a disaster but there are some people who think that it is a great car. If you consolidate all of the complaints on this and other forums then it is apparent that there are some major issues that would negate its choice as a purchase if you put any value on functionality. If some people think that it is the best car that they have ever owned then what they were coming from must have been inoperable.
RL06tech - I do not need any comments from you regarding my disqualification from commenting because I do not own a 3G. I have done a lot of homework and legwork regarding this car and I am very glad that the features on my present car actually work as opposed to most people are praying for a 3G MMC already.
DB, not in a pissing contest with you
However, disasters don't break selling records month after month or almost universally praised by as a segment leader by the printed and online media. Furthermore regarding "defects" that's fairly straight forward; go to the NHTSA website to look for TSB and recalls the 2014 MDX has exactly ZERO, if there were any widespread defects they would show up there by now.
On most websites what you will hear is a microscopic slice of the market and they tend to be dominated by malcontents who love to hear their own echo. In particular you have to be downright nuts to think that the 2013 is "better" than the 2014, when the overwhelming opinion of everyone that has driven them is that the 2014 is at least incremental improvement in essentially every parameter(regardless if you like the haptic screen or not).
Old 11-14-2013, 06:09 AM
Three Wheelin'

The NHTSA only considers safety with respect to recalls and I have not heard of any safety issues so I'm not surprised that the NHTSA is content.
As for the owners, its seems that contentment would be something to aspire to as forums are full of complaints and suggestions on "how to fix", "what to expect in the MMC", "why doesn't this work", "why did Canada get these features" and many items too numerous to mention.
I do, however, agree that the 3G is an attempt at an "incremental improvement" but Acura screwed so many things up that any improvements are negated by poor implementation hence the reason that so many people are not enthusiastic about "trading up" to a 3G from a 2G, particularly from an Advance 2G.
I still think that this car is selling well on its reputation and not on its execution and as such, sales will shortly slow down as the competition gets realization and recognition.
Old 11-14-2013, 06:29 AM
Burning Brakes

Step dad is considering the new MDX over the new Explorer.

Score for meeeeeee ! (I'll get him in a worthy SH-AWD, he likes to drive in the snow)
Old 11-14-2013, 06:50 AM
it's a car-drive it

Received 262 Likes on 199 Posts
tint is allowed in NC-check the tint laws-looks like that tsx has NJ plates
Timmy18 (11-14-2013)
Old 11-14-2013, 10:30 AM
Pro

The NHTSA only considers safety with respect to recalls and I have not heard of any safety issues so I'm not surprised that the NHTSA is content.
As for the owners, its seems that contentment would be something to aspire to as forums are full of complaints and suggestions on "how to fix", "what to expect in the MMC", "why doesn't this work", "why did Canada get these features" and many items too numerous to mention.
I do, however, agree that the 3G is an attempt at an "incremental improvement" but Acura screwed so many things up that any improvements are negated by poor implementation hence the reason that so many people are not enthusiastic about "trading up" to a 3G from a 2G, particularly from an Advance 2G.
I still think that this car is selling well on its reputation and not on its execution and as such, sales will shortly slow down as the competition gets realization and recognition.
Only partially correct. NHTSA includes safety (recalls) and maintenace (TSB's) in addition there are other websites that collect all manufacturers TSB's for example http://www.automd.com/tsb/acura_m/ though most of the private sites are simply a rehash of the NHSTA site. Of course, that doesnt mean that a problem doesnt exist it simply means that it hasnt reached enough reports for a TSB to be issued.
Old 11-14-2013, 10:41 AM
Pro

I understand liking a car over the other. I had a 2007 sport model, however, personally aside from the more convoluted radio interface I see no downside in switching to the new one which otherwise is an improvement in every way
on an already excellent vehicle. Would I swap a 2013 for a 2014, no, however if my previous gen was more than 3 years old and was getting up in miles and ready for a replacement, it would be a no brainer. BTW one you learn the technology you discover its actually more user friendly than before too!
Old 11-14-2013, 10:49 AM
Pro

BTW Here is the TSB lookup at the NHSTA:
http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/owners/...Results.action

You'll notice of that it includes the first unexpected acceleration report of which Im sure there will be many......since its the most common car complaint and which in the overwhelming majority of cases has proven to be due to stepping on the gas rather or at the same time as the brake.

Last edited by RL06tech; 11-14-2013 at 10:54 AM.
Old 11-14-2013, 12:00 PM
Racer

1000% correct and agreed. I believe Loyalists are buying mostly. I doubt many of them are first-time Acura owners or conquest sales. I have friends who are top Acura salespeople, one of my best friends has been one for 15+ years. Clients aren't hunkering down before they open the dealership, banging on the windows, clamoring to get a new 14 MDX. Barely 5 months into the launch, gone are the days of MSRP of the 14 MDX. When the 2007 was launched, they sold at MSRP for two years in the Vegas/Henderson/surrounding area market. They are going down their customer lists and lessees already and calling 2G owners to "trade up" to the 3G and THAT is where their sales are coming from. They already have advertised lease specials on the MDX. The RLX, barely 10 months old now has dealer cash of 5K, PLUS special financing. Would be VERY easy to walk in and get a 14 RLX for 10K off sticker PLUS special terms. They missed BIGTIME on the RLX, and the 14 MDX is no longer the solid value and vehicle it once was. MMC can't come fast enough, but I doubt it would change enough to make me a buyer again. How about an emergency re-do like the Civic got???
Old 11-14-2013, 12:10 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by RL06tech
BTW Here is the TSB lookup at the NHSTA:
http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/owners/...Results.action

You'll notice of that it includes the first unexpected acceleration report of which Im sure there will be many......since its the most common car complaint and which in the overwhelming majority of cases has proven to be due to stepping on the gas rather or at the same time as the brake.
Agreed - If you pushed hard on the brake and the accelerator not one car manufactured today would increment velocity.
Old 11-14-2013, 05:11 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by nj2pa2nc
tint is allowed in NC-check the tint laws-looks like that tsx has NJ plates
I checked a while ago and I think our lowest % allowed was 35 and to me that's way to dark. I'm sure the NJ TSX is right on that 35% mark were as we're probably on the 60%.. lol weak.

I plan on getting 45% all around when we re-tint (it needs it badly). Try to keep it clean and functional both day and night.
Old 11-15-2013, 09:11 PM
Burning Brakes

Here is that video I said I'll post. At 1:44 you can here my mom mention how good the thump was. Again, our TSX with it's stock 6 speaker + 2 tweeters, 360 watt system does a better job at thumping then this MDX with supposedly 8 speakers and a dedicated subwoofer (which is horrible).

The best way I can describe the sub in the BASE MDX is that it sounds as if it was rubbing against an interior trim panel or it's bottoming out, maybe even the voice coil is rubbing. It has a 'rubber band-like noise', like the kind you get when you stretch it out with your fingers and strum it. That 'Doinggggg' noise.

Either way, it sounds horrid. And we didn't do that to it. Perhaps who ever used it before us did. From the beginning, driving it off the lot I noticed it sounded pretty odd down below Vol. 10, which is VERY quiet, even in such a sound-proof cabin the MDX has. So when you turn it up to over 15, suitable for most, you start to hear such a poor subwoofer.

You do feel the sub kick, but again, it's not anything brutal like in our TSX, of that 10 years old with stock speakers and no dedicated sub.

The MDX's system IS clearer, but at the same time muffled and lacks bass IMO.

Also, a note about the Music. I am very diverse. lol
Old 11-15-2013, 10:24 PM
Instructor

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
my father (~65 y/o) loved the light steering. Said in sport it felt heavier to his liking

Ride is definitely smooth and quiet.

I wasn't able to test the audio system but if it's anything like in Hondas it's lacking quality
edit: I should say my dad's TL sound is pretty decent.

Last edited by unr1; 11-15-2013 at 10:34 PM.
Old 11-15-2013, 10:29 PM
Instructor

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
btw, they didn't have an advance in stock (this was earlier this year) otherwise I really wanted to see the LKAS in action. I could have seen it in the RLX, though.
Old 11-16-2013, 01:15 AM
2G TLX-S

Received 1,133 Likes on 813 Posts
Like I said before. Because the MDX (as well as all other SUV's and hatch-backs) doesn't by design have a fully acoustically sealed trunk cavity as in sedans, even the Krell system in the MDX will not generate as good enough a bass as in sedans with a regular ELS system.
Old 11-16-2013, 10:07 AM
I feel the need...

Received 515 Likes on 363 Posts
The thing that gets me the MOST is that it's no secret Acura is struggling for their identity as they are lost in a sea of competitors. To further muddy/blend-in their identify, they offer LED headlights in both Acura and Honda, LaneWatch system in Honda not even available in Acura, Dual Screens in both Honda/Acura. Just makes no sense.

I agree, a lot of what Honda does makes no sense. I could care less for the dual screens, but lane watch should be in the MDX. And the top end headlights in the Touring Honda models should remain Xenon projectors and leave the Jewel Eyes for Acura.

But clearly, I'm not a marketing genius.
Old 11-16-2013, 10:15 AM
I feel the need...

Received 515 Likes on 363 Posts
Originally Posted by Edward'TLS
Not shocked at all. That's about where a loaded Accord with some additional luxo goodies should have been originally priced.

The RLX with super-duper E-handling should top out at $55k in real world pricing. IF it looked a bit nicer, Acura could possibly move pricing further upscale.

Until battery tech and weight penalty improve drastically, hybrids will continue to be niche products with corresponding niche volumes.

Back on topic, I'm glad the MDX stayed w/ the traditional SH-AWD.
Old 11-21-2013, 10:50 AM
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Timmy18
Step dad is considering the new MDX over the new Explorer.

Score for meeeeeee ! (I'll get him in a worthy SH-AWD, he likes to drive in the snow)
Not sure if the decision has been made, but I checked out the Explorer first as I do think that is one nice looking vehicle. What sent me away was the complete lack of any covered storage in the Explorer. If you keep jumper cables, ice scrapers, bungee cords, etc in your vehicle, they will just sit out in open sight. Also, the salesman loved the idea of selecting the traction control for rain, snow, etc. I would prefer to just step on the gas pedal and let the car figure out how best to apply the power distribution. Just my two cents.
Old 12-06-2013, 09:31 PM
Burning Brakes

Another video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=geO5G...ature=youtu.be
Old 12-07-2013, 11:09 AM
Instructor

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
I had the pleasure of driving a 2014 MDX loaner yesterday and I loved it. I was impressed with the refinement and how comfortable it felt.

I did notice an electrical gremlin, though.

If I turned on the door light switch on the headliner (so the interior lights came on with the door open), the driver rear passenger light would stay on. I checked the button in the back and it was off. It stayed on as if the rear door was open, but it was closed. The only way to turn off the light was to turn the door light switch on the headliner to the off position.

Not a big deal I guess, but if it were my car, I would be annoyed. Other than that, I loved it.