Coming from a 14 RDX to 17 MDX

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2016, 02:09 PM
Racer

Received 49 Likes on 42 Posts
Coming from a 14 RDX to 17 MDX

I am a new 17 MDX owner. In Canada I got the Elite trim which is Adv + Ent equivalent in the US. We do not have the option of skipping entertainment at the highest trim. I wish we can do that.

Anyway, coming from the 14 RDX (Tech) is now very different. These are the reasons and pros of why I am switching:

1) Much more comfortable ride in MDX. This is #1, the RDX is rougher with more obvious body rolls. With family in the car I feel that ride comfort is high priority
2) More safety techs. After some driving I do not find the safety techs that helpful, but I guess they're there just to keep things safer.
3) More spaces. Keeping the same # of seats (that means 3rd row down), now I can move bigger objects more easily.
4) Much more comfortable seats
5) Much more quiet cabin
6) Features that exist in the MDX but not my RDX: nav traffic, folding side mirror, auto dimming side mirror, rear entertainment system (ya i know i don't really need it), SH-AWD(yes!), heated windshield, heated steering wheel, rear vent, and parking sensors

I know some of the features are now available on the newer RDX. That's very nice and RDX definitely serves my needs, if and only if it can improve on #1, #4 and $5 above.

Overall the MDX feels slower. Changing the IDS mode to Sports does help to react more like an RDX. Otherwise, the throttle is slow in normal mode.

One thing I notice also is the MDX seems to require more distance on braking, maybe because it's heavier?

Talking about the 17 MDX, i am still in discovery mode. However I like some of the gimmicks it provides. Lighting when you walk near the car, auto walk-away door lock (didn't get it to work yet), auto heated seat (!), blind spot monitoring, cross traffic monitor.. i like them all.

The RDX is a much faster car though.

Hopefully my MDX will not have many quality issues.
Old 11-11-2016, 11:43 AM
Advanced

Received 56 Likes on 28 Posts
Congrats man. I drove an RDX for a few days while waiting to pick up our '17 MDX. I loved the RDX from a driver's perspective -- the 6AT is still the best transmission for the J35 V6 in my opinion. If we didn't need the 3rd row we would have gone with the RDX.
Old 11-11-2016, 12:06 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by TLXinTX
Congrats man. I drove an RDX for a few days while waiting to pick up our '17 MDX. I loved the RDX from a driver's perspective -- the 6AT is still the best transmission for the J35 V6 in my opinion. If we didn't need the 3rd row we would have gone with the RDX.
​​​​​​
The RDX does drive great and it is fun. The MDX is a more luxurious version of the RDX. Many say they would buy RDX if it has SH-AWD too. Honda knows this may kill MDX sale so they are not doing it.
Old 11-14-2016, 10:45 AM
2014 RDX AWD Tech

Received 354 Likes on 325 Posts
Originally Posted by kareshi
I am a new 17 MDX owner. In Canada I got the Elite trim which is Adv + Ent equivalent in the US. We do not have the option of skipping entertainment at the highest trim. I wish we can do that. Anyway, coming from the 14 RDX (Tech) is now very different. These are the reasons and pros of why I am switching: 1) Much more comfortable ride in MDX. This is #1, the RDX is rougher with more obvious body rolls. With family in the car I feel that ride comfort is high priority 2) More safety techs. After some driving I do not find the safety techs that helpful, but I guess they're there just to keep things safer. 3) More spaces. Keeping the same # of seats (that means 3rd row down), now I can move bigger objects more easily. 4) Much more comfortable seats 5) Much more quiet cabin 6) Features that exist in the MDX but not my RDX: nav traffic, folding side mirror, auto dimming side mirror, rear entertainment system (ya i know i don't really need it), SH-AWD(yes!), heated windshield, heated steering wheel, rear vent, and parking sensors I know some of the features are now available on the newer RDX. That's very nice and RDX definitely serves my needs, if and only if it can improve on #1, #4 and $5 above. Overall the MDX feels slower. Changing the IDS mode to Sports does help to react more like an RDX. Otherwise, the throttle is slow in normal mode. One thing I notice also is the MDX seems to require more distance on braking, maybe because it's heavier? Talking about the 17 MDX, i am still in discovery mode. However I like some of the gimmicks it provides. Lighting when you walk near the car, auto walk-away door lock (didn't get it to work yet), auto heated seat (!), blind spot monitoring, cross traffic monitor.. i like them all. The RDX is a much faster car though. Hopefully my MDX will not have many quality issues.
Congratulations. How is the space in the third row seat? Can adults sit in it? I'm in a similar situation. I have an 14 RDX tech which I love the most. But my expanding family would prefer a bigger and I more spacious car.

Last edited by Comfy; 11-14-2016 at 10:47 AM.
Old 11-14-2016, 02:16 PM
2016 MDX Adv/SHAWD

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by Comfy
Congratulations. How is the space in the third row seat? Can adults sit in it? I'm in a similar situation. I have an 14 RDX tech which I love the most. But my expanding family would prefer a bigger and I more spacious car.
I had two female adults that were faily petite no problem they said "Tons of room" but other than that just kids in the 3rd row. It really is only for moving people short distances as a long road trip you would need a roof bag or something to put all of your stuff, trunk space very limited with 3rd row up. I usually leave it down unless I actually need it.
Old 11-14-2016, 05:06 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by neo1738
I had two female adults that were faily petite no problem they said "Tons of room" but other than that just kids in the 3rd row. It really is only for moving people short distances as a long road trip you would need a roof bag or something to put all of your stuff, trunk space very limited with 3rd row up. I usually leave it down unless I actually need it.
I agree there is not enough cargo if you plan to carry more than 5 ppl. I haven't sat adults at the 3rd row yet but yeah i don't see much problem if it's short distance (within 30km).
Old 11-14-2016, 08:38 PM
2014 RDX AWD Tech

Received 354 Likes on 325 Posts
Thanks. By kids you mean including a child seat , right?.... Has anyone tried fitting an infant car seat in the third row?
Old 11-15-2016, 06:20 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by Comfy
Thanks. By kids you mean including a child seat , right?.... Has anyone tried fitting an infant car seat in the third row?
Youtube has a few videos showing it. I wouldn't recommend putting car seat in the 3rd row as it's not convenient. It should work okay for forward facing setup but I doubt it for rear facing.