255/45/20 Tires Fitment & Resonator Delete

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2018, 07:13 PM
Racer

Received 61 Likes on 51 Posts
255/45/20 Tires Fitment & Resonator Delete

Hey guys, I'm a new owner of a 2018 Sport Hybrid. I'm new to the forum and found some helpful posts on here so I wanted contribute to help all the current/future MDX owners.

My Hybrid came equipped with 245/50/20 Continentals which works for daily communicating but it doesn't do this car justice. I ended up mounting wider 255/45/20 Pilot Super Sports. I have these tires on all my cars, even the wife's IS350 Fsport and love how they transform the car. After 100 miles on them handling and braking is drastically improved. The 45 series tire really lowers the car, you can feel and see the difference. Now most people will tell you 255 tires on a 8inch wheel isn't recommended but I've done it on numerous cars and had no issues with clearance or fitment. I would say 255's would be the widest i would push a 8 inch wheel but i have seen the muscle car community push it to 265-275.

Second mod I did was delete the intake resonator, everybody has their take doing this but personally I like removing them. I also installed a K&N dry flow air filter as well. I plugged the secondary hole flowing from the resonator and used a 3inch rubber plumbing cap I purchased from home depot. It was a straight forward mod that can be done by anybody. The big question is if their are any performance gains??? I don't feel a bump in HP but acceleration is smoother if that makes sense. Was it worth the time and the $58 i spent in total parts? Absolutely!

Future mods will be adding on the new A-Spec wheels which I hope is debuting this summer

Pics

https://ibb.co/bGwtad
https://ibb.co/k7i6vd
https://ibb.co/e7EeFd
https://ibb.co/cybtad
https://ibb.co/jZOH1J
Old 05-16-2018, 07:33 PM
Racer

Received 42 Likes on 30 Posts
Nothing says “classy” like Home Depot plumbing parts on a car, lol.

i would suggest ditching the K&N if you care about your MDX or want it to last. At best they’re a scam, and the evidence I’ve seen Suggests they allow quite a bit of damage. The OEM paper filter flows plenty of air for these engines.
Old 05-16-2018, 07:37 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by p07r0457
Nothing says “classy” like Home Depot plumbing parts on a car, lol.

i would suggest ditching the K&N if you care about your MDX or want it to last. At best they’re a scam, and the evidence I’ve seen Suggests they allow quite a bit of damage. The OEM paper filter flows plenty of air for these engines.
Home Depot FTW haha

So far I've had no issues with the dry drop in K&N filters but to each its own haha

FYI I'm not able to edit my post so I apologize for the poor grammar and photos
Old 05-17-2018, 10:55 AM
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Thank for posting. I was also wondering if I could put on larger tires. Nice to know 255s work. As a quick fix, I ended up putting 1" spacers all around. It's subtle, but I think it makes the wheels look fuller and I've even had people ask if I got new rims.

Since yours is a hybrid, I don't think our airbox is the same. I'll have to check this weekend. I would like to hear a little more noise from the engine and was looking into removing the resonator, but didn't think it was possible. Now seeing that you just had to cap off one end, I'm hopeful. Did you have to remove the wheel and fender liner to remove the resonator? Or will it all come out from the top?
Old 05-17-2018, 07:41 PM
Greb 06 RL

Received 26 Likes on 16 Posts
Question: Does the rolling circumference change from the 245s to the 255s? Thanks...
Old 05-17-2018, 07:46 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by Simi_MDX
Thank for posting. I was also wondering if I could put on larger tires. Nice to know 255s work. As a quick fix, I ended up putting 1" spacers all around. It's subtle, but I think it makes the wheels look fuller and I've even had people ask if I got new rims.

Since yours is a hybrid, I don't think our airbox is the same. I'll have to check this weekend. I would like to hear a little more noise from the engine and was looking into removing the resonator, but didn't think it was possible. Now seeing that you just had to cap off one end, I'm hopeful. Did you have to remove the wheel and fender liner to remove the resonator? Or will it all come out from the top?
Can you post pics with the spacers on?

I know for sure the 2017-2018 Hybrid & Non Hybrid intake system are identical, if you have a earlier model then check the part #'s to see if they match up. As for removing the resonator, there is a 10mm bolt on the very bottom (use a flash light) that's mildly difficult to take out but nothing too crazy. You will have to slightly loosen up the battery ties (10mm) to take out the resonator.
Old 05-22-2018, 11:13 AM
Intermediate

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
I plan on going with 255/50/20 too. I want stickier tires that are wider also. I will just wait a little while for the Continentals to get worn down. I see Michelin Pilot Sports and Pilot Sport A/S available on Tire Rack. Where did you get the super sports?
Old 05-22-2018, 11:34 AM
Pro

Received 56 Likes on 46 Posts
Originally Posted by GrebRL
Question: Does the rolling circumference change from the 245s to the 255s? Thanks...
Yes. The wheel diameter changed from 29.65" to 29.04", which is a 2.1% change and the speedometer will read low compared to the actual vehicle speed.
Old 05-22-2018, 03:56 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by lsulaker
I plan on going with 255/50/20 too. I want stickier tires that are wider also. I will just wait a little while for the Continentals to get worn down. I see Michelin Pilot Sports and Pilot Sport A/S available on Tire Rack. Where did you get the super sports?
The Super Sports come only in 45 series or smaller. I purchased the tires on EBay. It was the best price i found.

I would look into the Firestone FireHawks, I couldnt wait until July for them to come into stock so I purchased the PSS.
Old 05-23-2018, 08:53 AM
Intermediate

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Sorry, I meant 255/45/20. I still am having trouble finding the super sports in that size. Im not sure I want tread life of 300 but I am curious about them. The Pilot Sport A/S seem like the best of both worlds- handling and tread life.
Old 05-23-2018, 12:31 PM
Racer

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
we did extensive dyno tuning of some race engines years back - KN was no more efficient than any other filter except they were more maintenance for us. The induction system is part of the smog system. Here one can get a smog ticket for tampering if using non-approved parts. I don't think Home Depot has smog approved parts. Sounds ghetto to me. I would not be interested in something like that but am happy you are.
Old 05-23-2018, 12:57 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by merlin the wrench
we did extensive dyno tuning of some race engines years back - KN was no more efficient than any other filter except they were more maintenance for us. The induction system is part of the smog system. Here one can get a smog ticket for tampering if using non-approved parts. I don't think Home Depot has smog approved parts. Sounds ghetto to me. I would not be interested in something like that but am happy you are.
Thanks for sharing your thoughts friend haha
Old 05-23-2018, 01:00 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by lsulaker
Sorry, I meant 255/45/20. I still am having trouble finding the super sports in that size. Im not sure I want tread life of 300 but I am curious about them. The Pilot Sport A/S seem like the best of both worlds- handling and tread life.
I was only able to find the 255/45 PSS on ebay, currently the big brand websites don't stock them. I purchased them through Ebay username "priority_tire". Shipping was within a weeks time from PA to CA, not bad at all.
Old 07-02-2018, 12:53 PM
10th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Where did you get the spacers? Do you have a link to any pics?

Originally Posted by Simi_MDX