2017 MDX GPS Weirdness

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2018, 07:59 PM
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2017 MDX GPS Weirdness

Just did a trip this weekend Buffalo to Philadelphia area and back and had at 3 really weird GPS ...events... Following the directions on the mid PA Interstate I was directed to exit the highway and then return directly back up the ramp. First time (Friday) I thought I had misread the ramp directions and dismissed the event as driver error but coming back today I had the same thing happen again twice (once possibly the same location but not sure), I was super focused because of the poor road conditions and it took quite the effort to safely exit to find that once off the highway we just had to cross the road and head back up the on ramp! WTF? Happened again maybe 20 minutes later but we were watching this time and zoomed the map out to make sure the blue line clearly veered off the Interstate and then back on again. Seemed to occur on interchanges that were on a curve where the off ramp headed straight off and then straight back on - cutting a chord from the curve - shortest distance comes to mind but you would think that the GPS route finding algorithm would be smarter that that - anyone else seen this behavior?

Ragnar The Red
Old 01-14-2018, 08:51 PM
Racer

Received 62 Likes on 43 Posts
Originally Posted by ragnar01
Just did a trip this weekend Buffalo to Philadelphia area and back and had at 3 really weird GPS ...events... Following the directions on the mid PA Interstate I was directed to exit the highway and then return directly back up the ramp. First time (Friday) I thought I had misread the ramp directions and dismissed the event as driver error but coming back today I had the same thing happen again twice (once possibly the same location but not sure), I was super focused because of the poor road conditions and it took quite the effort to safely exit to find that once off the highway we just had to cross the road and head back up the on ramp! WTF? Happened again maybe 20 minutes later but we were watching this time and zoomed the map out to make sure the blue line clearly veered off the Interstate and then back on again. Seemed to occur on interchanges that were on a curve where the off ramp headed straight off and then straight back on - cutting a chord from the curve - shortest distance comes to mind but you would think that the GPS route finding algorithm would be smarter that that - anyone else seen this behavior?

All the RDX and MDX GPS have been TERRIBLE for at least the past 6 years. The directions it gives are many times idiotic and the graphics are still from the 80s.
I stopped using mine many years ago. Waze is the way to go. When will car manufacturers add the smart phone mirroring feature. The technology already exists as third party manufacturer. Why not native? It would be so much better that Apple or Android car play.
Ragnar The Red
Old 01-15-2018, 10:02 AM
Intermediate

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
GPS weirdness

I have had the same thing happen to me several times on our 2014 MDX. Once it was just get off the highway and then back on. Another time it took us off the freeway, through several turns on side roads, and then back onto the freeway. At the time I thought it was maybe road work but it turned out to be nothing but the GPS glitch. Now when I am traveling on a highway and it tells me to get off I change the magnification to see what it is telling me and then ignore it if appropriate. I would have thought they would be better by the 2017 model year.
I would have to say the GPS issues are my least favorite thing about the MDX. My wife actually put a sign in the back window of ours that said "Don't follow me, I have an Acura GPS!" and took it in for service. They didn't see the humor in it.
Old 01-15-2018, 11:53 AM
Safety Car

Received 420 Likes on 314 Posts
Seems very odd - do you have Fastest Route or Shortest distance as a setting?
I know Google had me go on and off freeway multiple times to avoid traffic when I had a rental car in LA area. Really didn't help much so I ignored it after a while
Old 01-15-2018, 12:59 PM
4th Gear

Hmmm... Will have to check on the fastest vs. shortest setting - I could see how this could give unexpeced results but I would think that GPS AI should be able to figure that out.... or not! Surprised that this isn't a new thing - hadn't seen any complaints/rants earlier - lots of other GPS issues but not this one.

Ragnar the Red
Old 01-15-2018, 01:56 PM
Safety Car

agree - you would think it has enough smarts to not send you on the off ramp and back on no matter what setting
I have 2017 and have not seen that issue
Old 01-18-2018, 04:43 PM
2016 MDX Adv/SHAWD

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Has happened to me before. 1 place I drive always recommends if I'm using gps so I know to ignore it. Def frustrating.
Old 01-19-2018, 08:16 AM
4th Gear

MDX 2017 GPS Weirdness

I looked in the MDX menus and in the manual but had no luck in finding a fastest vs. shortest setting. I thought I remember one somewhere but I may be confusing with something in Google/Apple/Waze/Garmin GPS settings.

Ragnar
Old 01-20-2018, 07:49 PM
rcy
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
It's in the Navigation Manual somewhere. You have to have 'server route' option selected, which isn't availalbe without an AcuraLink traffic subscription. I remember thinking that my 2006 MDX shows all three routes (and there is no AcuraLink on that generation), but the 2014 didn't and I was perplexed. Then, after subscribing to AcuraLink traffic, and activiating 'server route' I began seeing all three routes available. I'm fairly sure that 'server route' option was not available until I subscribed to AcuraLink.

"Quick: Displays the route with the shortest travel time.
• Direct: Displays the route with the shortest travel distance.
• Eco: Displays the route with the best fuel efficiency.

Last edited by rcy; 01-20-2018 at 07:51 PM.
Old 01-21-2018, 12:24 PM
Racer

Received 56 Likes on 55 Posts
The server route option is off by default, which i find a bit stupid for the new vehicle sales that come with the 3 year traffic subscription. It can be turned on and utilized while under this free 3 year period. After that, yes, you need to pay for a Acuralink sub to utilize that option.
Old 01-27-2018, 07:26 PM
Safety Car

so today I was heading back from wine country. Shortest route to my house is to go over Golden Gate Bridge and through part of SF and get on 280 south. I had the Go Home route on just to see what traffic was like. The gps wanted to send me east over to I80 and come back to SF on the Bay Bridge. That is over 15 miles longer and I could see that I80 and the Bay Bridge were Red with traffic. I had not really looked carefully at the Navi settings before so I brought it up. I recall with my RLX the 2 main options were Fastest Time or Shortest Difference. My MDX does not have that. Rather the top option is Freeway: Max or Min. It was on Max which is why it wasn't sending me thru SF. But it was sending me on a Freeway clogged with traffic. I didn't change the setting as I clearly knew the best way to go. Wonder what Freeway Min would do - send you surface streets all the time. Seems like they went backwards in functionality. What's wrong with Fastest Time or Shortest Distance?