2017 Advance Running Boards Install DIY - Page 2 - AcuraZine - Acura Enthusiast Community

Notices

2017 Advance Running Boards Install DIY

Old 11-22-2017, 10:29 PM
  #41  
Registered Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 117
Thanked 11 Times in 11 Posts
Originally Posted by KmanM3 View Post
Are these the Advance Running Boards or Advance Running Boards - Chrome?

There are 2 different parts with different part numbers and no one seems to have good enough pics to tell the difference.
These are the Advance Chrome. Here’s the part number from the box.
Inspire08 is offline  
Old 11-23-2017, 12:02 PM
  #42  
Registered Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Age: 41
Posts: 5
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks. Maybe the metal surface on the non- chrome version is just black?? They both seem to have chrome on the side in the pictures I have seen.
KmanM3 is offline  
Old 12-15-2017, 12:55 AM
  #43  
New Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Age: 32
Posts: 2
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Double checking scraping step

When I was scraping off undercoating, i also scraped off some of the frame coating underneath and exposed some bare frame metal. I applied two coats of touch up paint and let them thoroughly dry before continuing my install. Should I be worried about rust? Wasn't absolutely sure if it was normal to expose the bare metal.
Emozemoz is offline  
Old 03-04-2018, 07:17 PM
  #44  
Registered Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Age: 42
Posts: 23
Thanks: 0
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Thanks for this DIY. It helped clear up some items that were a little vague (esp that push pin up front under the step). The support bracket also remained on the car when I removed the lower panels. Mine came off very easily as I just kept pushing it forward until it released itself.

Anyway, my car is a late model 2017. I didn't have to remove any undercoating. Only had to remove a little caulk. I heated up a putty knife, made a clean cut and started scraping. Touched up the area and moved along (not sure if I really needed to). It did take me a little over 3 hrs.

Thanks again.
Simi_MDX is offline  
The Following User Says Thank You to Simi_MDX For This Useful Post:
TLXinTX (10-03-2018)
Old 03-09-2018, 08:56 AM
  #45  
Registered Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Age: 42
Posts: 50
Thanked 13 Times in 11 Posts
Originally Posted by Simi_MDX View Post
Thanks for this DIY. It helped clear up some items that were a little vague (esp that push pin up front under the step). The support bracket also remained on the car when I removed the lower panels. Mine came off very easily as I just kept pushing it forward until it released itself.

Anyway, my car is a late model 2017. I didn't have to remove any undercoating. Only had to remove a little caulk. I heated up a putty knife, made a clean cut and started scraping. Touched up the area and moved along (not sure if I really needed to). It did take me a little over 3 hrs.

Thanks again.
Glad to hear it helped! The running boards certainly improve the looks of the vehicle and they give the kiddos a step up.
TLXinTX is offline  
Old 05-16-2018, 06:36 AM
  #46  
New Member
 
Join Date: May 2018
Age: 55
Posts: 2
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
New member here, just bought a 17 CPO white hybrid Advance with running boards...wife hates them due to lack of functionality for getting into or out of car...can they be removed, if so, cost estimates? I believe there is a chrome lower door trim piece that would need replaced? Also, would any body shop/painting be needed if they are removed? In addition, I also noticed these chrome advanced running boards are showing a slight bit of rust along the outer edge, are they warrantied?
phybridmdx is offline  
Old 05-17-2018, 10:59 AM
  #47  
Registered Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Age: 42
Posts: 23
Thanks: 0
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Rust doesn't sound like an OEM product. Can you post a picture? Most running boards bolt on directly to the car. Only these Advance running boards being discussed in this thread (which is slightly smaller and higher up) require the additional work.

Originally Posted by phybridmdx View Post
New member here, just bought a 17 CPO white hybrid Advance with running boards...wife hates them due to lack of functionality for getting into or out of car...can they be removed, if so, cost estimates? I believe there is a chrome lower door trim piece that would need replaced? Also, would any body shop/painting be needed if they are removed? In addition, I also noticed these chrome advanced running boards are showing a slight bit of rust along the outer edge, are they warrantied?
Simi_MDX is offline  
Old 05-17-2018, 06:00 PM
  #48  
New Member
 
Join Date: May 2018
Age: 55
Posts: 2
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I spoke with a dealer who told me the cost to remove the running boards and put a new piece of lower body trim back on the MDX would be around $1,000 so I'm not willing to pay that much. Thanks for your input though.
phybridmdx is offline  
Old 10-03-2018, 09:55 AM
  #49  
New Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2018
Age: 65
Posts: 7
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hi there, I have just purchased a 2018 MDX that has the chrome strip on, did the 2016 running boards fit o.k. and it looks like you maintained the chrome factory strip.

Did you prefer the 2016 boards over the 2017 / 18 boards?

If you have any other pics I would love to see

Thanks

Peter
pwesthead is offline  
Old 10-03-2018, 09:57 AM
  #50  
New Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2018
Age: 65
Posts: 7
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hi there, I have just purchased a 2018 MDX, it came with a chrome strip at the bottom of the doors (factory) does this have to be removed if you elect to go with the boards you fitted?

Thanks

Peter
pwesthead is offline  
Old 10-03-2018, 02:04 PM
  #51  
Registered Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Age: 42
Posts: 50
Thanked 13 Times in 11 Posts
Originally Posted by pwesthead View Post
Hi there, I have just purchased a 2018 MDX, it came with a chrome strip at the bottom of the doors (factory) does this have to be removed if you elect to go with the boards you fitted?

Thanks

Peter
I replied to your PM, but for the benefit of the forum:

The Advance running boards replace the chrome strip. The strips are part of the side sills, and the Advance running boards replace those side sills. Unlike other running boards, the Advance are affixed underneath the vehicle as well as to the sides.

Hope this helps.
TLXinTX is offline  
Old 10-04-2018, 09:21 AM
  #52  
New Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2018
Age: 65
Posts: 7
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
2018 MDX with boards

I sure like the 2016 MDX boards that apparently on a 2018 MDX can retain the chrome sill strip, does anyone have images of a 2017 or 2018 with 2016 / 2015 advance boards installed?

Thanks

Peter
pwesthead is offline  
Old 10-04-2018, 09:58 AM
  #53  
Registered Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Age: 42
Posts: 50
Thanked 13 Times in 11 Posts
Originally Posted by pwesthead View Post
I sure like the 2016 MDX boards that apparently on a 2018 MDX can retain the chrome sill strip, does anyone have images of a 2017 or 2018 with 2016 / 2015 advance boards installed?

Thanks

Peter
Peter - check out post #7 in this thread for a picture.
TLXinTX is offline  
Old 10-05-2018, 03:35 PM
  #54  
New Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2018
Age: 65
Posts: 7
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Could you possibly, send me some pics of the 2016 boards on your 2017 MDX, I have a 2018 and love the look of what you have done, retaining the chrome sill strip etc

Thanks

Peter
pwesthead is offline  
Old 10-16-2018, 10:07 PM
  #55  
New Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2018
Age: 40
Posts: 8
Thanks: 0
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I like the look for the running boards, but when test driving this week I noticed that as a 6' tall guy I don't need them to get in, and when I get out my suit pants brush up against the boards. In the snowy winters of New England where I live I worry that each time I get out of the car I'll get snow and slush from the running boards on my pant legs. Anyone experience this?
Leoskeys is offline  
Old 10-16-2018, 10:33 PM
  #56  
Registered Member
 
p07r0457's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Location: Chapel Hill, NC
Posts: 222
Thanked 37 Times in 28 Posts
Originally Posted by Leoskeys View Post
I like the look for the running boards, but when test driving this week I noticed that as a 6' tall guy I don't need them to get in, and when I get out my suit pants brush up against the boards. In the snowy winters of New England where I live I worry that each time I get out of the car I'll get snow and slush from the running boards on my pant legs. Anyone experience this?
Yes. This is one of the reasons I didn't add any running boards to my MDX. This vehicle isn't tall enough to require them, they don't stick out far enough to prevent shopping cart dings, yet the stick out far enough to get in the way of stepping out of the vehicle. All around useless, imo.
p07r0457 is offline  
Old 10-17-2018, 10:40 AM
  #57  
Registered Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Age: 42
Posts: 50
Thanked 13 Times in 11 Posts
I agree - I have to be careful not to touch them when wearing lighter colored pants. I'd prefer the style that flares wide in the back but narrows in the front. My kids still use them all the time when climbing in the second or third row.

On the plus side, the Advance running boards have surely saved the vehicle from door dings. I can park next to Mustangs with confidence -- I actually seek out sedans and coupes when looking for a parking space, since their doors will hit the running boards well before my doors.
TLXinTX is offline  
Related Topics
Thread
Thread Starter
Forum
Replies
Last Post
justinjsw
Automotive News
1516
07-16-2018 07:39 AM
phenryiv1
3G MDX Discussion (2014+)
10
08-07-2017 09:32 PM
carbonTSEX
2G RDX DIY & FAQ
6
01-26-2017 01:00 AM
TSX69
Second Generation RDX (2013-2018)
49
09-06-2016 04:23 AM
EE4Life
Fifth Generation TLX (2015+)
0
06-27-2016 06:19 PM


Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 2017 Advance Running Boards Install DIY


Contact Us Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.