2017 Advance Running Boards Install DIY - Page 2 - AcuraZine - Acura Enthusiast Community

Notices

2017 Advance Running Boards Install DIY

Old 11-22-2017, 10:29 PM
Registered Member

Originally Posted by KmanM3 View Post
Are these the Advance Running Boards or Advance Running Boards - Chrome?

There are 2 different parts with different part numbers and no one seems to have good enough pics to tell the difference.
These are the Advance Chrome. Here’s the part number from the box.
Old 11-23-2017, 12:02 PM
Registered Member

Thanks. Maybe the metal surface on the non- chrome version is just black?? They both seem to have chrome on the side in the pictures I have seen.
Old 12-15-2017, 12:55 AM

Double checking scraping step

When I was scraping off undercoating, i also scraped off some of the frame coating underneath and exposed some bare frame metal. I applied two coats of touch up paint and let them thoroughly dry before continuing my install. Should I be worried about rust? Wasn't absolutely sure if it was normal to expose the bare metal.
Old 03-04-2018, 07:17 PM
Registered Member

Thanks for this DIY. It helped clear up some items that were a little vague (esp that push pin up front under the step). The support bracket also remained on the car when I removed the lower panels. Mine came off very easily as I just kept pushing it forward until it released itself.

Anyway, my car is a late model 2017. I didn't have to remove any undercoating. Only had to remove a little caulk. I heated up a putty knife, made a clean cut and started scraping. Touched up the area and moved along (not sure if I really needed to). It did take me a little over 3 hrs.

Thanks again.
Old 03-09-2018, 08:56 AM
Registered Member

Originally Posted by Simi_MDX View Post
Thanks for this DIY. It helped clear up some items that were a little vague (esp that push pin up front under the step). The support bracket also remained on the car when I removed the lower panels. Mine came off very easily as I just kept pushing it forward until it released itself.

Anyway, my car is a late model 2017. I didn't have to remove any undercoating. Only had to remove a little caulk. I heated up a putty knife, made a clean cut and started scraping. Touched up the area and moved along (not sure if I really needed to). It did take me a little over 3 hrs.

Thanks again.
Glad to hear it helped! The running boards certainly improve the looks of the vehicle and they give the kiddos a step up.
Old 05-16-2018, 06:36 AM

New member here, just bought a 17 CPO white hybrid Advance with running boards...wife hates them due to lack of functionality for getting into or out of car...can they be removed, if so, cost estimates? I believe there is a chrome lower door trim piece that would need replaced? Also, would any body shop/painting be needed if they are removed? In addition, I also noticed these chrome advanced running boards are showing a slight bit of rust along the outer edge, are they warrantied?
Old 05-17-2018, 10:59 AM
Registered Member

Rust doesn't sound like an OEM product. Can you post a picture? Most running boards bolt on directly to the car. Only these Advance running boards being discussed in this thread (which is slightly smaller and higher up) require the additional work.

Originally Posted by phybridmdx View Post
New member here, just bought a 17 CPO white hybrid Advance with running boards...wife hates them due to lack of functionality for getting into or out of car...can they be removed, if so, cost estimates? I believe there is a chrome lower door trim piece that would need replaced? Also, would any body shop/painting be needed if they are removed? In addition, I also noticed these chrome advanced running boards are showing a slight bit of rust along the outer edge, are they warrantied?
Old 05-17-2018, 06:00 PM

I spoke with a dealer who told me the cost to remove the running boards and put a new piece of lower body trim back on the MDX would be around $1,000 so I'm not willing to pay that much. Thanks for your input though.