2017 Advance Running Boards Install DIY

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2017, 10:29 PM
Instructor

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by KmanM3
Are these the Advance Running Boards or Advance Running Boards - Chrome?

There are 2 different parts with different part numbers and no one seems to have good enough pics to tell the difference.
These are the Advance Chrome. Here’s the part number from the box.
Old 11-23-2017, 12:02 PM
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks. Maybe the metal surface on the non- chrome version is just black?? They both seem to have chrome on the side in the pictures I have seen.
Old 12-15-2017, 12:55 AM
2nd Gear

Double checking scraping step

When I was scraping off undercoating, i also scraped off some of the frame coating underneath and exposed some bare frame metal. I applied two coats of touch up paint and let them thoroughly dry before continuing my install. Should I be worried about rust? Wasn't absolutely sure if it was normal to expose the bare metal.
Old 03-04-2018, 07:17 PM
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Thanks for this DIY. It helped clear up some items that were a little vague (esp that push pin up front under the step). The support bracket also remained on the car when I removed the lower panels. Mine came off very easily as I just kept pushing it forward until it released itself.

Anyway, my car is a late model 2017. I didn't have to remove any undercoating. Only had to remove a little caulk. I heated up a putty knife, made a clean cut and started scraping. Touched up the area and moved along (not sure if I really needed to). It did take me a little over 3 hrs.

Thanks again.
The following users liked this post:
TLXinTX (10-03-2018)
Old 03-09-2018, 08:56 AM
Advanced

Received 56 Likes on 28 Posts
Originally Posted by Simi_MDX
Thanks for this DIY. It helped clear up some items that were a little vague (esp that push pin up front under the step). The support bracket also remained on the car when I removed the lower panels. Mine came off very easily as I just kept pushing it forward until it released itself.

Anyway, my car is a late model 2017. I didn't have to remove any undercoating. Only had to remove a little caulk. I heated up a putty knife, made a clean cut and started scraping. Touched up the area and moved along (not sure if I really needed to). It did take me a little over 3 hrs.

Thanks again.
Glad to hear it helped! The running boards certainly improve the looks of the vehicle and they give the kiddos a step up.
Old 05-16-2018, 06:36 AM
4th Gear

New member here, just bought a 17 CPO white hybrid Advance with running boards...wife hates them due to lack of functionality for getting into or out of car...can they be removed, if so, cost estimates? I believe there is a chrome lower door trim piece that would need replaced? Also, would any body shop/painting be needed if they are removed? In addition, I also noticed these chrome advanced running boards are showing a slight bit of rust along the outer edge, are they warrantied?
Old 05-17-2018, 10:59 AM
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Rust doesn't sound like an OEM product. Can you post a picture? Most running boards bolt on directly to the car. Only these Advance running boards being discussed in this thread (which is slightly smaller and higher up) require the additional work.

Originally Posted by phybridmdx
New member here, just bought a 17 CPO white hybrid Advance with running boards...wife hates them due to lack of functionality for getting into or out of car...can they be removed, if so, cost estimates? I believe there is a chrome lower door trim piece that would need replaced? Also, would any body shop/painting be needed if they are removed? In addition, I also noticed these chrome advanced running boards are showing a slight bit of rust along the outer edge, are they warrantied?
Old 05-17-2018, 06:00 PM
4th Gear

I spoke with a dealer who told me the cost to remove the running boards and put a new piece of lower body trim back on the MDX would be around $1,000 so I'm not willing to pay that much. Thanks for your input though.
Old 10-03-2018, 09:55 AM
7th Gear

Hi there, I have just purchased a 2018 MDX that has the chrome strip on, did the 2016 running boards fit o.k. and it looks like you maintained the chrome factory strip.

Did you prefer the 2016 boards over the 2017 / 18 boards?

If you have any other pics I would love to see

Thanks

Peter
Old 10-03-2018, 09:57 AM
7th Gear

Hi there, I have just purchased a 2018 MDX, it came with a chrome strip at the bottom of the doors (factory) does this have to be removed if you elect to go with the boards you fitted?

Thanks

Peter
Old 10-03-2018, 02:04 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by pwesthead
Hi there, I have just purchased a 2018 MDX, it came with a chrome strip at the bottom of the doors (factory) does this have to be removed if you elect to go with the boards you fitted?

Thanks

Peter
I replied to your PM, but for the benefit of the forum:

The Advance running boards replace the chrome strip. The strips are part of the side sills, and the Advance running boards replace those side sills. Unlike other running boards, the Advance are affixed underneath the vehicle as well as to the sides.

Hope this helps.
Old 10-04-2018, 09:21 AM
7th Gear

2018 MDX with boards

I sure like the 2016 MDX boards that apparently on a 2018 MDX can retain the chrome sill strip, does anyone have images of a 2017 or 2018 with 2016 / 2015 advance boards installed?

Thanks

Peter
Old 10-04-2018, 09:58 AM
Advanced

Originally Posted by pwesthead
I sure like the 2016 MDX boards that apparently on a 2018 MDX can retain the chrome sill strip, does anyone have images of a 2017 or 2018 with 2016 / 2015 advance boards installed?

Thanks

Peter
Peter - check out post #7 in this thread for a picture.
Old 10-05-2018, 03:35 PM
7th Gear

Could you possibly, send me some pics of the 2016 boards on your 2017 MDX, I have a 2018 and love the look of what you have done, retaining the chrome sill strip etc

Thanks

Peter
Old 10-16-2018, 10:07 PM
Cruisin'

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I like the look for the running boards, but when test driving this week I noticed that as a 6' tall guy I don't need them to get in, and when I get out my suit pants brush up against the boards. In the snowy winters of New England where I live I worry that each time I get out of the car I'll get snow and slush from the running boards on my pant legs. Anyone experience this?
Old 10-16-2018, 10:33 PM
Racer

Received 42 Likes on 30 Posts
Originally Posted by Leoskeys
I like the look for the running boards, but when test driving this week I noticed that as a 6' tall guy I don't need them to get in, and when I get out my suit pants brush up against the boards. In the snowy winters of New England where I live I worry that each time I get out of the car I'll get snow and slush from the running boards on my pant legs. Anyone experience this?
Yes. This is one of the reasons I didn't add any running boards to my MDX. This vehicle isn't tall enough to require them, they don't stick out far enough to prevent shopping cart dings, yet the stick out far enough to get in the way of stepping out of the vehicle. All around useless, imo.
Old 10-17-2018, 10:40 AM
Advanced

I agree - I have to be careful not to touch them when wearing lighter colored pants. I'd prefer the style that flares wide in the back but narrows in the front. My kids still use them all the time when climbing in the second or third row.

On the plus side, the Advance running boards have surely saved the vehicle from door dings. I can park next to Mustangs with confidence -- I actually seek out sedans and coupes when looking for a parking space, since their doors will hit the running boards well before my doors.
Old 11-07-2018, 04:20 PM
9th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have an advanced running board for sale among other accessories if anyone is interested. =)

https://acurazine.com/forums/market/974554
Old 12-21-2018, 03:08 PM
Car Crazy for Sure!

Received 432 Likes on 299 Posts
Smile Running board virtues

I just picked up my '19 Advance. Didn't get the running boards, but, now am thinking I should. I read about some interesting issues here....esp. the stopping of lower cars...their doors hitting the boards...and then the issue
with "clearing" getting out and messing up pant legs etc.

Here is one I believe is a plus, but, maybe not necessarily THE only reason to get them. I wouldn't get them just for looks. In snow country the street dept's always put down some kind of gravel mixed with a solution to help
with icy streets. Open your doors and look inside the door frames, the lower part of the doors and their seals. They are totally full of the "junk" put on the streets. I've owned 1 SUV that I put running boards on. I learned that
they keep all the "junk" from being flipped in to the door jam areas etc. So, for me, that's a big plus.

So, I'm working on a price for the boards and install. I always get discounts. The Advance boards list for $699. I believe I'll get them for 28% off. I KNOW I'll pay no less than 25% off...which is then, $524.25.
Labor will be an unknown at this point. My GM is going to let me know today. He's a friend and always takes great care of me. For those that sometimes think he's not "really my friend".....I emailed him yesterday to ask for a "deal"
on the boards and labor. He happened to be on a bus. trip.....and....did he answer me??? YES he did all you non believers out there. LOL! He always answers my emails or texts...no matter where he is.
Said he'd be in the store today and will get me the numbers. He even asked for a pic and info to make sure he prices the correct boards!! So, I text him a pic with info. No way can you find a better GM than him!

FYI....I've had my new Advance for 6 days and my wife and I love it. Had 3 Gen 2 RDX's and totally liked them....and I'd driven the '19 Advance and the A-Spec version. We decided on a pearl white/parchment Advance.
Don't need the 3rd row seat, so it will stay folded away, and that makes for a great cargo area to use. Love the 2nd row Capt's seats with the full console....and so many other "things." Great SUV for the $$.
I know, wrong thread...but, I paid...cash price for it...$1,029 BELOW Invoice...and yes, I do have their Invoice. Acura is "helping out" the dealers on the MDX's this Dec. They are selling pretty well, but, the RDX is sucking a lot
of the oxygen out of the showroom right now.

Old 02-06-2019, 12:11 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 329 Likes on 228 Posts
Reviving this old thread to ask a question.
We have a 2017 MDX Sport Hybrid Tech and wife wants to install running board.
The Sport Hybrid have body color side sills, but from the pictures of Advance running board posted above, the side sills are black.
This would cause mismatch of color on Sport Hybrid model side sills and front and rear rocker panels.
Is there a different P/N for Sport Hybrid with body color side sill? Ours is White Diamond Pearl.
Old 03-29-2021, 09:52 AM
Cruisin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
@TLXinTX This thread is the best hands down DIY for the advanced running boards. Question on the touch up paint. The instructions (pg 6, step 17) asks for touch up paint to be applied to the areas where the undercoating was removed. The frame/car steel is dipped into something called Honda/Acura e-coat. I couldn't find a touch up for the frame e-coat. What are we supposed to use? *I'm serious here* What did you use?

Thank you!
Old 03-29-2021, 10:18 AM
Racer

Received 56 Likes on 55 Posts
Originally Posted by v300
@TLXinTX This thread is the best hands down DIY for the advanced running boards. Question on the touch up paint. The instructions (pg 6, step 17) asks for touch up paint to be applied to the areas where the undercoating was removed. The frame/car steel is dipped into something called Honda/Acura e-coat. I couldn't find a touch up for the frame e-coat. What are we supposed to use? *I'm serious here* What did you use?

Thank you!
Just use your body colored touch up paint. Anything to buffer against direct exposure of the steel to moisture. Obviously there's going to be a bit of maintenance needed over time as it will chip away.
v300 (03-30-2021)
Old 03-29-2021, 11:29 AM
Advanced

Originally Posted by neoshi
Just use your body colored touch up paint. Anything to buffer against direct exposure of the steel to moisture. Obviously there's going to be a bit of maintenance needed over time as it will chip away.
Thanks neoshi. Yes, I just used the regular touchup paint pen (using the brush side of course). Your question prompted me to go check on the underbody, and there are no visible chips around the painted area after 4+ years of having the running boards installed.

v300, I appreciate the kind words. I hope the writeup has helped at least a few folks to save some serious $$$ by installing the running boards themselves.

Last edited by TLXinTX; 03-29-2021 at 11:32 AM.
v300 (03-30-2021)
Old 03-30-2021, 07:13 PM
Cruisin'

You're absolutely right. The Honda E-Coat is the factory dip/undercoating. Underneath the undercoating, is the factory paint color of your car. That was my confusion.
Originally Posted by neoshi
Old 03-30-2021, 07:14 PM
Cruisin'

Hey Guys,

Can you do the install without using a ramp or lift? I'm almost ready to give it a stab.