'16 MDX experiences

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2016, 09:01 PM
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by nickyraymond1
The problem is if Acura MDX transmission goes bad it is going to be tough to find and it runs around $1500 minimum.

My friend needs an engine for Acura MDX. Can someone recommend a good source where I could buy a rebuilt engine. I head about Used Japanese Engines & Transmissions anyone bought from them before ?
you can search through used parts...go here and check...
LKQCorp > Inventory Search

also try this one... http://www.augustpohl.com/used-parts/makes#.Vr6d6rQrKM8

Last edited by manera; 02-12-2016 at 09:07 PM.
Old 02-24-2016, 11:26 AM
10th Gear

My 2016 Acura MDX Experience

I too was concerned about the 9-speed issues, but I still made the purchase back in Sept 2015. I live in the SF Bay Area and I purchased a 2016 Acura MDX with ADV+ENT. I have over 4K miles and so far, I have had no issues with the transmission. I don't drive the car in SPORT or COMFORT mode. I pretty much drive it in the standard mode. I also don't use the paddle shifters very often although I've played with it a little bit, but being a 9 speed, I'd rather just have the car shift gears. Driving it in Sport mode is fun, and COMFORT seems pointless IMO. But, I will admit that I'm currently having an issue with my Iphone 6S connecting to the Ipod function. I just posted it here and on MDXers.org. Also, about 3 months ago, my batteries died. I called AAA to jump it and it's been fine since. One other cosmetic issue, there's a weird bump or "pimple" in the interior rear roof area of the car. I'll need to see if other MDXs have this "bump". I pushed against it and it's firm and hard. If it's a defect, I'm thinking that it should be replaced, but it's nothing major. Hope my feedback helps!
The following users liked this post:
LuvMyTSX (04-18-2016)
Old 03-10-2016, 05:02 AM
312 HP 271 TQ Dynapack

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Update: My '16 MDX is past 5k miles. Still enjoying it... and still annoyed with the throttle delay. Living in L.A. amongst aggressive drivers, I sometimes find myself in need of a quick lane change when I find a gap in fast moving traffic. I peg the throttle and get...NOTHING. Feels like a 1-2 sec delay (which is a lifetime in some driving scenarios). After the car finally wakes up, it's too late, so I veer back into to my lane to prevent being rear ended.

I usually drive in "normal" IDS. "sport" is a bit more responsive, but the throttle delay is still there, and I don't like the stiffer steering that goes with sport mode.
LuvMyTSX (03-12-2016)
Old 03-10-2016, 11:25 AM
Instructor

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally Posted by mrlunecy
Update: My '16 MDX is past 5k miles. Still enjoying it... and still annoyed with the throttle delay. Living in L.A. amongst aggressive drivers, I sometimes find myself in need of a quick lane change when I find a gap in fast moving traffic. I peg the throttle and get...NOTHING. Feels like a 1-2 sec delay (which is a lifetime in some driving scenarios). After the car finally wakes up, it's too late, so I veer back into to my lane to prevent being rear ended.

I usually drive in "normal" IDS. "sport" is a bit more responsive, but the throttle delay is still there, and I don't like the stiffer steering that goes with sport mode.
I have the 6 speed in my MDX. I get the delay too especially coming from coasting and then quick lane change to pass, it feels like you have to wake up the engine or step on the gas harder to get a quick pull. What I usually do is, right after the lane change, I paddle shift down 1 gear or sometimes 2 gears to get into speed quickly. I find it to be helpful in that kind of situation. Or shift it to sequential mode on the shifter, that automatically downshifts the transmission for you to get the pull.

For me at least, I don't mind the delay since I don't change lanes aggressively everytime, I can use the paddle shifters to downshift or pull back the stick shifter to S anyway. But since you have the 9 speed you would have to downshift a few gears for that. Disadvantage of having many gears, I guess.

I think the delay is caused by the VCM running in 4 or 3 cylinders when coasting and it needs 1 or 2 seconds to wake up all 6 cylinders. Also, the MDX is a 4000++ lbs vehicle. Was your previous car is a smaller car? Probably that's why you notice the delay difference. When I drive my wife's RDX, I can feel the difference in pulling to pass. The RDX feels more willing to accelerate faster but it's also lighter in weight. I also had a loaner 9 speed TLX and it pulls quite fast because it weighs a lot less than the MDX. I didn't have to downshift with the TLX to get the pull that I need.

I would take the good mpg (in highway) of the VCM all day than having a car that accelerates faster (than the MDX) but gives you poor highway mpg. I live in LA too, my route is 101, 134 and 210 everyday. 101 is a racetrack even in 5:00 in the morning.
LuvMyTSX (03-13-2016)
Old 03-10-2016, 12:18 PM
Cruisin'

[QUOTE=jimihaha;15700529]

I think the delay is caused by the VCM running in 4 or 3 cylinders when coasting and it needs 1 or 2 seconds to wake up all 6 cylinders. Also, the MDX is a 4000++ lbs vehicle. Was your previous car is a smaller car? Probably that's why you notice the delay difference. When I drive my wife's RDX, I can feel the difference in pulling to pass. The RDX feels more willing to accelerate faster but it's also lighter in weight. I also had a loaner 9 speed TLX and it pulls quite fast because it weighs a lot less than the MDX. I didn't have to downshift with the TLX to get the pull that I need.

I have a new Sierra Denali that runs cylinder deactivation mode and shifts down very qfast so it's not that. Same with a previous GM truck. Also have a Lexus RX without the feature and it shifts like you describe, maybe a little faster.The Lexus also has the delay in 'M' manual mode even more pronounced downshifting. Different brands but same concepts. Everything today is controlled by computers and it gets complicated.
It's probably the mapping program has a built in lag. Can speculate it's for economy or maybe to make it shift smoother but that's my bet!
LuvMyTSX (03-13-2016)
Old 03-10-2016, 07:15 PM
2G TLX-S

Received 1,133 Likes on 813 Posts
Originally Posted by mrlunecy

I too has always been using the "sport" IDS mode.

But still, when my 6-speed auto MDX is cruising at highway speed in "D", the engine has no power (at least no instant power) whenever I step on the throttle, not until the tranny start downshifting by itself a couple seconds later.

So now, I always paddle shift the tranny down a gear or two, in order to get some instant passing power while driving on the highways.
LuvMyTSX (03-13-2016)
Old 03-11-2016, 11:03 AM
Instructor

[QUOTE=Ron.s;15700586]
Originally Posted by jimihaha

I have a new Sierra Denali that runs cylinder deactivation mode and shifts down very qfast so it's not that. Same with a previous GM truck. Also have a Lexus RX without the feature and it shifts like you describe, maybe a little faster.The Lexus also has the delay in 'M' manual mode even more pronounced downshifting. Different brands but same concepts. Everything today is controlled by computers and it gets complicated.
It's probably the mapping program has a built in lag. Can speculate it's for economy or maybe to make it shift smoother but that's my bet!
Thanks for that info. So it might not be the VCM then. The MDX is my first car with a VCM. It's probably the way the MDX is tuned. Yes, probably for the smoother ride and fuel economy. I am not really complaining about it and I actually like it that way. If I wanted to accelerate faster (ie freeway merging) I just pull back the shifter to S (sequential) or paddle shift down a gear or 2.
Old 03-11-2016, 11:06 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by Edward'TLS
I too has always been using the "sport" IDS mode.

But still, when my 6-speed auto MDX is cruising at highway speed in "D", the engine has no power (at least no instant power) whenever I step on the throttle, not until the tranny start downshifting by itself a couple seconds later.

So now, I always paddle shift the tranny down a gear or two, in order to get some instant passing power while driving on the highways.

I used to think paddle shifters are a gimmick but after having it and experienced how convenient to downshift without taking my right hand off the steering, I'm glad the MDX has one!
Old 03-27-2016, 03:03 PM
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have over 15,000 miles on my 2016 MDX AWD with no major issues.
It has done a rough down-shift when I have rapid "changes of mind" at low speeds. Otherwise the 9-speed has worked great for me. No weird faults, errors or problems.

DLMC
Old 03-28-2016, 01:43 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 123 Likes on 100 Posts
Just took the '16 ADV on a 400 mile trip over the weekend... Loved the LKAS, awesome feature. Great gas mileage, this thing is an ideal family hwy cruiser
Old 04-03-2016, 03:43 PM
312 HP 271 TQ Dynapack

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Booya4139
Just took the '16 ADV on a 400 mile trip over the weekend... Loved the LKAS, awesome feature. Great gas mileage, this thing is an ideal family hwy cruiser
Very true. I have no cruising complaints. The MDX is great for road trips!
Old 04-03-2016, 11:58 PM
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
My neighbor just had the dealer buy back their two month old Elite. Even after replacing the 9 speed transmission the same fatal problems persisted.

Kinda reminds me of my good old 2001 Acura TL Type S which got 7 transmissions replaced (or was it 8?) before I got rid of it. Yes, free ! but it took a tow truck and a week wait each time.
Old 04-04-2016, 01:58 PM
2G TLX-S

Received 1,133 Likes on 813 Posts
^^^^^

This is not quite the same.

The new 9-speed auto box issues are basically all to do with smoothness and driverability; but the old 2G TL's 5-speed auto box would self-destruct, potentially putting the occupancies in the harm's way if so happened.
Old 06-15-2018, 05:55 PM
2nd Gear

I think I have a similar problem. My 16 MDX hesitates from a stop. When it engages, RPM surges and the MDX lurches to the corresponding pedal position. My dealer says, they cannot duplicated, no DTCs set. Everything is normal. Acura says there is a time lag from the time you shift, the sensors talk to each other, then the vehicle responds. Mine does this intermittently so when is it normal, when it hesitates or when it doesnt? I think its a serious safety issue but Acura denies the problem. What did you do? Thanks
Old 06-15-2018, 07:04 PM
Racer

Received 42 Likes on 30 Posts
Originally Posted by sdarden
I think I have a similar problem. My 16 MDX hesitates from a stop. When it engages, RPM surges and the MDX lurches to the corresponding pedal position. My dealer says, they cannot duplicated, no DTCs set. Everything is normal. Acura says there is a time lag from the time you shift, the sensors talk to each other, then the vehicle responds. Mine does this intermittently so when is it normal, when it hesitates or when it doesnt? I think its a serious safety issue but Acura denies the problem. What did you do? Thanks
Have you driven with a tech? Were you able to reproduce the issue with them in the car?

I'm confused by part of your statement (bolded). Are you shifting from P/R/N into D and then taking off quickly? That seems bad.
Old 06-16-2018, 08:10 AM
2nd Gear

Thanks for the reply. I have driven with the service manager and an Acura rep. Could not duplicate until yesterday. He said he didnt feel it. If he didnt feel it, it didnt happen.

normal shifting. Start engine, few second pause, shift to reverse, few second pause, back out of parking area while turning, stop,shift into drive, slowly apply accelerator pedal. Could go all the way to the floor, release, back to the floor, release. Somewhere in between the idle position and the floor the transmission and engine engage. RPM surges to the corresponding pedal position and MDX jumps forward, throwing you back in the seats. Always have to anticipate a hesitation. Intermittent and getting more frequent.