Rear Backup Sensors Questions

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2013, 12:31 PM
cws
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Rear Backup Sensors Questions

I'm strongly considering getting the rear backup sensors added to my tech/ent. The backup camera is nice, but I'd like the sensors, too.

When the sensors are added as accessories, and an object is detected, does the nav screen show where the object is located?

Also, I'm a bit concerned with the dealer installing these since much of the inside of the car needs to be taken apart. For those who had the sensors installed, did the dealer do a good job putting everything back together?

Thanks for any input.
Old 12-01-2013, 02:53 PM
Intermediate

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Yes it does show where it is sensing the obstruction. However, I will say that the sensors (at least in mine) don't seem to come on until you are awfully close to something (about 3-4ft). My previous car would start a slow beep when something was like 10 feet away.
Old 12-02-2013, 11:42 AM
Cruisin'

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by syntax53
Yes it does show where it is sensing the obstruction. However, I will say that the sensors (at least in mine) don't seem to come on until you are awfully close to something (about 3-4ft). My previous car would start a slow beep when something was like 10 feet away.
Are you sure about this? The OP is asking about the accessory back up sensors; not about the ones that come on the Advance package.
Old 12-02-2013, 11:45 AM
Intermediate

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by markpaco
Are you sure about this? The OP is asking about the accessory back up sensors; not about the ones that come on the Advance package.
Well it would depend if you have the other requirements for everything to work. You obviously aren't going to see where the obstructions are if you have no screen to see it on, for example. But yes, I'm assuming based on being an advance owner myself.
Old 12-03-2013, 02:07 AM
6G TLX-S

Received 1,155 Likes on 826 Posts
Cws, when the rear backup sensors are installed by the dealership on non-Advance 2014 MDX models, there is no visual display, only audio beeps during foreign-object detection.
Old 12-09-2013, 05:22 PM
I feel the need...

Received 515 Likes on 363 Posts
Originally Posted by cws
Also, I'm a bit concerned with the dealer installing these since much of the inside of the car needs to be taken apart. For those who had the sensors installed, did the dealer do a good job putting everything back together?
Picked up our Tech/Ent last week and have limited seat time so far, but I think the dealer did a fine job of adding the back up sensor accessory. I didn't think any of the features in the ADVANCE package warranted the extra money other than ventilated seats would have been nice.

Personally, I don't think they are needed and as another poster said, they don't start beeping until you are very close to a back up object, but wifey definitely wanted the sensors.
Old 12-10-2013, 12:07 PM
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have the Advance and the sensors work extremely well. Not seeing issues where it only detects when real close. In fact, the beep is slow and then the pace picks up the closer you get. With the backup camera (which you don't have) it also colors either orange or red and from which corner the obstruction is. Very handy...
Old 12-10-2013, 03:29 PM
Pro

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts
My guess is that if you have nave the nav the rear sensors will work like those that come from the factory, if so, they show up on the screen. I wouldn't have a issues with having the dealer install them, only then will they be covered the warranty. I've had many accessories installed by dealers, never had any issues at all. For our present MDX we basically installed every accessory available except for the heated steering wheel, everything was done perfectly. For me, this is one of the few cars (from more than a dozen) that had absolutely zero defects when delivered, my previous MDX had only a minor one, a piece of loose of trim on the roof rack. I like having the camera and sensors too.
Old 12-11-2013, 09:41 AM
Advanced

Received 26 Likes on 13 Posts
The backup camera is standard on all trims of the 2014 MDX, even on the base trim.

I have a 2014 Tech/Ent MDX and I had the rear backup sensors installed. There is no visual cue/display on the screen, only audio beeps when the sensors detect an obstacle. The beeps become more frequent as you come nearer the obstacle.

You will only have the visual cue/display of where the obstacle is detected when you have the Advance trim (with rear backup sensors pre-installed in the factory).

I hope this answers the OP's question.
The following users liked this post:
RL06tech (12-11-2013)
Old 12-11-2013, 07:35 PM
I feel the need...

Received 515 Likes on 363 Posts
Originally Posted by Luisito
With the backup camera (which you don't have) it also colors either orange or red and from which corner the obstruction is. Very handy...
I hadn't noticed this feature and will check to see if the dealer installed ones are the same as factory installed.
Old 12-12-2013, 07:03 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 180 Likes on 129 Posts
I just don't see how back-up sensors are of any use if you have a camera. Try backing up to your trailer and putting the ball under the trailer receiver with sensors and then a camera. You have way more information when using a camera than by just hearing a beep.
After you get used to the camera and back up using the screen instead of looking over your shoulder you will realize that the beep is an expensive option that doesn't work as well as a $2 camera.
Old 12-12-2013, 11:17 AM
Cruisin'

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
I have the Tech and added sensors as option installed by dealer. They work well and I agree that camera is very good but I like sensors because there have been times when I am backing up using side mirrors and the audible beep has saved my rear bumper from hitting the narrow basketball hoop pole that is on the edge of my driveway. I don't get value from the sensors everyday but I do like having them. As noted by other posters... installed as an option you don't get the location of the obstruction - would love to have that!
Old 12-15-2013, 10:54 AM
Advanced

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
I am thinking about adding sensors as well as the rear cam is mounted such that it's constantly covered with water, dirt etc.
Old 12-15-2013, 11:37 PM
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Keep in mind that the sensors are not just for the back, the sensors also beep for the front and are also displayed on the screen when approaching an obstruction just as they do when backing up.
Old 12-16-2013, 11:03 AM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by sbkim
I am thinking about adding sensors as well as the rear cam is mounted such that it's constantly covered with water, dirt etc.
Very true. I was reminded of this camera issue after this weekend's snow event. Camera didn't work but sensors did work.
Old 12-16-2013, 11:04 AM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by Luisito
Keep in mind that the sensors are not just for the back, the sensors also beep for the front and are also displayed on the screen when approaching an obstruction just as they do when backing up.
Only works for back if you install sensors as add-on. No front sensors, no screen information.