Looking to purchase 17 MDX Shawd tech

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2017, 11:07 PM
Instructor

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Looking to purchase 17 MDX Shawd tech

My wife and I test drove both 17' MDX Shawd tech package and a 17' MDX hybrid tech. We both liked the hybrid version however there's no incentive and dealership are sticking with MSRP on the hybrid. Our second choice is the RX 350 premium plus package, which we haven't test driven yet. Both Acura and Lexus has great incentive for gasoline version. Is there anything I need know about the 17' MDX Shawd tech package, issues, transmission and etc. Anyone had cross shop the MDX and RX, list what you liked and dislike?
Old 09-22-2017, 12:00 PM
Racer

Received 240 Likes on 151 Posts
I have a 2015 MDX (lease expires in February) and test drove the Hybrid. Awesome vehicle with no marketing support in the way of reasonable interest rates for lease so I will wait and see if that improves.

If I was in the market for the gasoline version-the incentives are great so I would jump on it. Compared to the RX 350 the MDX really shines in handling and sportiness.
Old 09-23-2017, 08:10 PM
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Inspire08
My wife and I test drove both 17' MDX Shawd tech package and a 17' MDX hybrid tech. We both liked the hybrid version however there's no incentive and dealership are sticking with MSRP on the hybrid. Our second choice is the RX 350 premium plus package, which we haven't test driven yet. Both Acura and Lexus has great incentive for gasoline version. Is there anything I need know about the 17' MDX Shawd tech package, issues, transmission and etc. Anyone had cross shop the MDX and RX, list what you liked and dislike?

I own a '17 SH AWD. Other than the transmission, it is a nice vehicle. Unfortunately, with the ZF, I would avoid the MDX until they get this squared away.
Old 09-24-2017, 01:29 AM
5th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
No Problems with '17 ZF Transmission

I own a '17 MDX, and have put nearly 4000 miles on it with no issues involving the ZF 9-speed transmission.
It appears that the '17 transmissions have revised electronic programming that has fixed the rough shifting in the '16s.
Old 09-24-2017, 08:19 AM
Instructor

Does the Shawd tech has idle auto stop feature, can this be turned off? The cylinder deactivation, can you feel when it switches/deactivate? Thanks for your input
Old 09-24-2017, 08:29 AM
Advanced

Does the Shawd tech has idle auto stop feature, can this be turned off? The cylinder deactivation, can you feel when it switches/deactivate? Thanks for your input
No Idle stop
No, you can't feel the cylinder reduction activate at all.

Go test drive one if you have not already. Tip: make sure the MDX is cold when you start your test and make sure thy let you drive it while cold. In my case they "warmed one up" when I asked for a test drive while they shot the breeze. Then they insisted the salesperson drive the first 5 miles or so while explaining the features. NOW I know why the test drive happened that way. The "balky" nature of the ZF is much more prominent when cold.

Last edited by vicbastige; 09-24-2017 at 08:31 AM.
Old 09-24-2017, 01:36 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 333 Likes on 230 Posts
Get the Sport Hybrid Tech! It's only $1500 premium over the regular gas model. It have a much better 7-speed DCT and Dynamic suspension. Just those two item alone is worth the upgrade to me. Better MPG is an added bonus. They can be difficult to find on the lot though. Took me over a month to find one in California. Maybe now it's better since the 2018 has been announced and will be available soon.
Old 09-24-2017, 02:09 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by jdpdata
Get the Sport Hybrid Tech! It's only $1500 premium over the regular gas model. It have a much better 7-speed DCT and Dynamic suspension. Just those two item alone is worth the upgrade to me. Better MPG is an added bonus. They can be difficult to find on the lot though. Took me over a month to find one in California. Maybe now it's better since the 2018 has been announced and will be available soon.

...so long as you don't really need a SUV. No towing capacity and no trailer hitch permitted is a non-starter for me. Like carrying a few bikes on a hitch rack. At a minimum, Acura should allow a hitch for that on their hybrid. Otherwise it is a sedan
as a SUV.
Old 09-24-2017, 03:20 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by vicbastige
...so long as you don't really need a SUV. No towing capacity and no trailer hitch permitted is a non-starter for me. Like carrying a few bikes on a hitch rack. At a minimum, Acura should allow a hitch for that on their hybrid. Otherwise it is a sedan
as a SUV.
Yup, zero towing capacity for the Sport Hybrid.
It's because of how the rear electric motor works at lower RPM. We knew this when we did the research.
We rarely tow anything anyways. But if I had to tow, my V8 4Runner is better suited for the task.
Though you can still install a roof bike rack or throw them in the back with 2nd row folded down.
But you're right, those you want to tow anything heavy, your only option is the regular ZF 9-speed.
Old 09-24-2017, 05:13 PM
5th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Pro Reviews of '17 MDX & ZF 9-speed trans

Rather than relying on reviews from disgruntled owners of '16 MDXs, with earlier versions of the ZF trans software, I suggest reading professional reviews at Car and Driver, KBB, Motorweek, KBB, etc., all of which rated the '17 MDX, with the updated transmission software, highly.

Car and Driver rates it 4 stars out of 5, and 3rd place overall in 3-row crossover/SUVs, right behind the more expensive Audi Q7, and Volvo XC90. Among other attributes, they say the engine's great, the transmission is good, and it handles well.

Negative reviews on this board represent 1/10th of 1% of MDX owners (if that). I recommend driving the MDX yourself, and reading pro reviews, especially those on Car and Driver, which is not known to pull punches when it comes to criticizing vehicles.

C&D, in fact, is not fond of the ZF trans in the new Pilot, which I suspect has different electronic programming, and perhaps internal differences, compared to the '17 MDX.

As I've previously stated, my '17 runs and drives great, and if I were in the market for another SUV now, I'd buy the same thing again.
Old 09-24-2017, 05:13 PM
Advanced

Yup, zero towing capacity for the Sport Hybrid.
It's because of how the rear electric motor works at lower RPM. We knew this when we did the research.
We rarely tow anything anyways. But if I had to tow, my V8 4Runner is better suited for the task.
Though you can still install a roof bike rack or throw them in the back with 2nd row folded down.
But you're right, those you want to tow anything, your only option is the regular ZF 9-speed.
FIFY.

Roof rack= high chance of bike and vehicle damage (flying road debris and low clearance situations).
Old 09-25-2017, 05:15 PM
Racer

Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts
My 2017 SH_AWD, Tech drives like a dream. I have no idea what people are talking about when they complain about the ZF9 transmission. I didn't test drive a Lexus RX 350, but I did do a "build your RX" a couple of times. I found that to get what I have on my MDX, I would have had to pay about $7,000 more. And, I have seen many reviews that talk about the RX driving like a boat. Soft mushy ride.

Good luck on your decision.

Regards, Jim
Old 09-26-2017, 09:53 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by hawkeye62
My 2017 SH_AWD, Tech drives like a dream. I have no idea what people are talking about when they complain about the ZF9 transmission. I didn't test drive a Lexus RX 350, but I did do a "build your RX" a couple of times. I found that to get what I have on my MDX, I would have had to pay about $7,000 more. And, I have seen many reviews that talk about the RX driving like a boat. Soft mushy ride.

Good luck on your decision.

Regards, Jim
Thank you All for your input. We test drove the RX and the MDX has the edge (nimble ride). Although, I must say the RX has luxury feeling and more sophisticated than the MDX. We will talk it out and see within a few days if MDX or RX will suit our need.
Old 09-26-2017, 09:56 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by bblueser
Rather than relying on reviews from disgruntled owners of '16 MDXs, with earlier versions of the ZF trans software, I suggest reading professional reviews at Car and Driver, KBB, Motorweek, KBB, etc., all of which rated the '17 MDX, with the updated transmission software, highly.

Car and Driver rates it 4 stars out of 5, and 3rd place overall in 3-row crossover/SUVs, right behind the more expensive Audi Q7, and Volvo XC90. Among other attributes, they say the engine's great, the transmission is good, and it handles well.

Negative reviews on this board represent 1/10th of 1% of MDX owners (if that). I recommend driving the MDX yourself, and reading pro reviews, especially those on Car and Driver, which is not known to pull punches when it comes to criticizing vehicles.

C&D, in fact, is not fond of the ZF trans in the new Pilot, which I suspect has different electronic programming, and perhaps internal differences, compared to the '17 MDX.

As I've previously stated, my '17 runs and drives great, and if I were in the market for another SUV now, I'd buy the same thing again.
Thanks, watched YouTube and did a few reviews on MDX.
Old 09-26-2017, 11:41 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 1,164 Likes on 536 Posts
Here are my two cents (after tax it is one cent):

I owned a 2014 MDX Tech which saved my family's lives in a bad rear end collision in which I endured a very painful recovery from resulting neck surgery, thanks to a careless driver who fell asleep in the middle of the afternoon on a sunny day. Lot of info there but it just never ceases to amaze me how many careless people can do stupid things behind the wheel putting others at risk. Back to the MDX. It worked flawlessly until the accident and if I had not been out of position at the time of the accident, I likely would not have been injured at all. As a result, I picked up an early 2016 MDX Tech with the 9-speed as a replacement and liked it very much. Other than very minor cosmetic differences, the biggest was the transmission. It worked well but it just never felt smooth in operation. Especially when I compared the liquid smooth and F1 fast 7-speed DCT in the RLX Sport Hybrid I already owned, it was a night and day difference between them. So when an opportunity surfaced to acquire a 2017 MDX Sport Hybrid, I jumped at it. I got a fair trade on the 2016 surprisingly, so getting the 2017 MDX-SH was going to be a clean buy. I was able to secure financing on my own by shopping it around and settled on 2.38% which is super cheap, so financing it made total sense for us as we planned to keep it for a long time. We got a small discount, but nothing to get excited or crow about.

The MDX-Sport Hybrid is on a different level when compared with the non-hybrid MDX. That liquid smooth and silent 7-speed DCT from the RLX Sport Hybrid is magic in the MDX. The way the hybrid drive works is also biased towards smoothness and is not as quirky as it is in the RLX-Sport Hybrid, not a positive in comparison as I get a kick out of the various throttle patterns one can enjoy in that vehicle. Thrust is prodigious when you want it and it is easy to drive like a limo driver if you want to, as that is how you will see the best gas mileage. To engage first gear you have to put it in sport mode by pushing the "D" button a second time after shifting out of park, pull back the paddle to select S1 and then engage brake hold...... then just stomp on the gas, hold on and watch your passengers say WTF! The RLX-Sport Hybrid is much more powerful so it is even quicker, as that is bananas, but for a SUV it will get your attention.

My wife used to get 20mpg each tank full. Now she is getting 28 mpg on the same driving routes. I typically can get low 30's on the highway or even in local drives as I know how to finesse the best out of that drive-train. Overall it is quiet, supremely smooth with the special dampers on that vehicle which are different from the non-hybrid variant MDX. Treat yourself if you can and get the hybrid version. You will not be sorry for that decision. It is one of the best ones I have made having two sport hybrids in our stables.

Last edited by RLX-Sport Hybrid; 09-26-2017 at 11:48 AM.
Old 09-26-2017, 12:23 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by RLX-Sport Hybrid

I owned a 2014 MDX Tech which saved my family's lives in a bad rear end collision in which I endured a very painful recovery from resulting neck surgery, thanks to a careless driver who fell asleep in the middle of the afternoon on a sunny day. Lot of info there but it just never ceases to amaze me how many careless people can do stupid things behind the wheel putting others at risk. Back to the MDX. It worked flawlessly until the accident and if I had not been out of position at the time of the accident, I likely would not have been injured at all. As a result, I picked up an early 2016 MDX Tech with the 9-speed as a replacement and liked it very much. Other than very minor cosmetic differences, the biggest was the transmission. It worked well but it just never felt smooth in operation. Especially when I compared the liquid smooth and F1 fast 7-speed DCT in the RLX Sport Hybrid I already owned, it was a night and day difference between them. So when an opportunity surfaced to acquire a 2017 MDX Sport Hybrid, I jumped at it. I got a fair trade on the 2016 surprisingly, so getting the 2017 MDX-SH was going to be a clean buy. I was able to secure financing on my own by shopping it around and settled on 2.38% which is super cheap, so financing it made total sense for us as we planned to keep it for a long time. We got a small discount, but nothing to get excited or crow about.

The MDX-Sport Hybrid is on a different level when compared with the non-hybrid MDX. That liquid smooth and silent 7-speed DCT from the RLX Sport Hybrid is magic in the MDX. The way the hybrid drive works is also biased towards smoothness and is not as quirky as it is in the RLX-Sport Hybrid, not a positive in comparison as I get a kick out of the various throttle patterns one can enjoy in that vehicle. Thrust is prodigious when you want it and it is easy to drive like a limo driver if you want to, as that is how you will see the best gas mileage. To engage first gear you have to put it in sport mode by pushing the "D" button a second time after shifting out of park, pull back the paddle to select S1 and then engage brake hold...... then just stomp on the gas, hold on and watch your passengers say WTF! The RLX-Sport Hybrid is much more powerful so it is even quicker, as that is bananas, but for a SUV it will get your attention.

My wife used to get 20mpg each tank full. Now she is getting 28 mpg on the same driving routes. I typically can get low 30's on the highway or even in local drives as I know how to finesse the best out of that drive-train. Overall it is quiet, supremely smooth with the special dampers on that vehicle which are different from the non-hybrid variant MDX. Treat yourself if you can and get the hybrid version. You will not be sorry for that decision. It is one of the best ones I have made having two sport hybrids in our stables.
Great review! I agree with you, the Sport Hybrid is the one to get. So the Hybrid only starts out in 2nd gear in normal D mode? I gotta try the S1 mode at launch. It is wifey's car, so I haven't driven it much. What's the differences between S mode (D push button) and Sports mode (IDS
Button)?
The following users liked this post:
RLX-Sport Hybrid (09-26-2017)
Old 09-26-2017, 12:35 PM
Three Wheelin'

Great review! I agree with you, the Sport Hybrid is the one to get. So the Hybrid only starts out in 2nd gear in normal D mode? I gotta try the S1 mode at launch. It is wifey's car, so I haven't driven it much. What's the differences between S mode (D push button) and Sports mode (IDS
Button)?
Yes it does start out in 2nd gear which is why the reviewers of both vehicles under-reported the performance figures. Acura screwed up and didn't tell them! In the RLX-Sport Hybrid they were reporting 0-60 times in the 5.0 second range, and we can consistently see 4.89 or 4.88 with no roll-out, so with a 1ft roll-out measurement it is even less, not that we would ever appreciate it merging onto a highway with no on-ramp space. I measured 5.4 seconds for the MDX Sport Hybrid and they are reporting 5.8 for a 0-60 time. It is quick, but you are not going to beat a Tesla under any circumstance. It will start out in 2nd gear in either "D" or "S" but you can only get 1st gear in "S". The IDS controls the dampers which I keep in comfort mode primarily and sometimes in normal mode if the road is bouncy as the comfort mode feels almost like an air suspension. It also changes the algorithms of the transmission and aspects of the engine management too. If I am not mistaken I think it also does something with the steering input. So if you want the "full boogie" mode, make sure the IDS is set to sport + also on the IDS.
Old 09-26-2017, 12:47 PM
Burning Brakes

Yes it does start out in 2nd gear which is why the reviewers of both vehicles under-reported the performance figures. Acura screwed up and didn't tell them! In the RLX-Sport Hybrid they were reporting 0-60 times in the 5.0 second range, and we can consistently see 4.89 or 4.88 with no roll-out, so with a 1ft roll-out measurement it is even less, not that we would ever appreciate it merging onto a highway with no on-ramp space. I measured 5.4 seconds for the MDX Sport Hybrid and they are reporting 5.8 for a 0-60 time. It is quick, but you are not going to beat a Tesla under any circumstance. It will start out in 2nd gear in either "D" or "S" but you can only get 1st gear in "S". The IDS controls the dampers which I keep in comfort mode primarily and sometimes in normal mode if the road is bouncy as the comfort mode feels almost like an air suspension. It also changes the algorithms of the transmission and aspects of the engine management too. If I am not mistaken I think it also does something with the steering input. So if you want the "full boogie" mode, make sure the IDS is set to sport + also on the IDS.
X
​​​​
Can't wait to try "Ludicrous Mode" 😁
5.4 sec is damn fast for a SUV!
RLX-Sport Hybrid (09-26-2017)
Old 09-27-2017, 01:33 AM
Instructor

I totally agree with you, however MDX sport hybrid in tech package is hard to find. Most dealer has the advance model to which they are offering us 1k off MSRP. Unlike the gas version they have multiple cash rebate and offer.
Old 09-27-2017, 05:33 AM
Three Wheelin'

X
​​​​
Can't wait to try "Ludicrous Mode" 😁
5.4 sec is damn fast for a SUV!
And last night on a 7 mile local trip I got 45.8 mpg!
Old 09-27-2017, 12:34 PM
Burning Brakes

I totally agree with you, however MDX sport hybrid in tech package is hard to find. Most dealer has the advance model to which they are offering us 1k off MSRP. Unlike the gas version they have multiple cash rebate and offer.
Not sure where you are located, but here in Southern California I can easily get $2500 off MSRP for Sport Hybrid Advance...maybe $3000 if I ask nicely
I got $2000 of MSRP for Tech Pkg. But yeah, they are very hard to find. Acura only allocate 5% of all MDX production as Sport Hybrid. Even less are in the Tech Pkg.
Now that 2018 are coming, maybe you can get better deals for 2017. I recommend using the Inventory Search tool on Acura.com. You may have to search a wider radius in your area to find a Tech.
Many are finally arriving at dealerships now. Our car arrived on 9/13, we snatched it up on 9/16. They don't sit long on the lot. Good Luck!!
Old 09-27-2017, 12:34 PM
Burning Brakes

And last night on a 7 mile local trip I got 45.8 mpg!
Dang! How in the world did you do that? You must have a feather-like right foot.
Old 09-27-2017, 01:38 PM
Three Wheelin'

Dang! How in the world did you do that? You must have a feather-like right foot.
After almost three years with these drive trains I have figured out how to finesse it. Basically I get up to speed and then feather the throttle staying in EV mode as much as possible, and maximizing EV charging abilities when coasting or braking to then use that EV charge immediately after. It is very repeatable. Kind of fun in a Geek way. I made the same trip in the RLX Sport Hybrid today and got 49.2 mpg.
Old 09-27-2017, 03:17 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 265 Likes on 207 Posts
After almost three years with these drive trains I have figured out how to finesse it. Basically I get up to speed and then feather the throttle staying in EV mode as much as possible, and maximizing EV charging abilities when coasting or braking to then use that EV charge immediately after. It is very repeatable. Kind of fun in a Geek way. I made the same trip in the RLX Sport Hybrid today and got 49.2 mpg.
Hypermiling at it finest! I like to get up to speed, without flooring it, then coast, or lightly throttle as much as I can. Especially if no one is behind me. I find it hard to believe there are people who drive all types of vehicles who think you still need throttle when going downhill!
RLX-Sport Hybrid (09-27-2017)
Old 09-28-2017, 08:31 AM
Three Wheelin'

What is funny is when I get those kinds of mpg experiences, I'm not falling behind in traffic flows to do it. I'm just not engaging the ICE motor when ever possible just because it is a smoother way to drive. For disclosure purposes, that particular trip is slightly more downhill than uphill. On the return trips I am getting 32-34mpg in both vehicles driving at the same speed and mannerisms. Still excellent from my perspective. It seems that the sweet spot for both cars is around 35-45mph on side streets or country roads for the maximum mpg performance.