Irritating “grinding” or “fluttering” noise

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2014, 09:57 PM
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Irritating “grinding” or “fluttering” noise

I’m posting these comments to better understand if and how prevalent the subject noise is with other owners of the 2014 MDX, and to seek advice that anyone can give. Some have described it as “a cell phone in vibrate mode going off on a hard surface.” Here is a link to a recording (posted by buchem on 11/4/2013): http://www.mdxers.org/forums/94-new-...e-heard-2.html
My understanding is the noise is identified as being from the Variable Cylinder Management System (VCM) switching from 3 cylinders to 6 cylinders. This causes a waft of air to rush in (to feed the additional cylinders) and this air rush causes the plastic shield to vibrate. Unfortunately, the noise gets louder over time. Reading other posts, this noise is also found in other Honda models utilizing Honda’s VCM System, like the Pilot, Acura RDX and Odyssey. If you search the Piloteers forum, you’ll see there is a great dislike for VCM.

Some owners have apparently had success when the bulkhead cover latches and strikers are replaced, as specified in Acura’s Technical Service Bulletin #14-003 (didn’t work for me). This procedure may be the same as “replacing the clips on the plastic shield.” I’ve also read that technicians have just added additional foam on the intake cover area and the noise disappeared.

After 6 months of attempting to get this defect corrected, staff from Acura’s Technical Assistance Department, as late as May 27, 2014, stated the noise is characteristic of the vehicle and is the all wheel drive unit modulator activating. Unfortunately, Acura is not interested in fixing the problem. Acura's position is merely “live with it”.

I would very much appreciate hearing how others are dealing with this issue. Clearly, paying as much as we have, we should not have to experience this annoying sound. At the minimum, Acura’s dealers should be required to disclose this issue when offering this product.
Old 07-02-2014, 11:36 PM
Cruisin'

Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts
Hi lbjr51,

I just had my MDX corrected for something that I'm sure is similar. I likened the sound to a zip tie being tightened or something similar. The explanation I was given by the dealership was that the clips that hold the engine covers on and were defective (not holding cover down tight), thus at speed it would vibrate. To remedy the issue they replaced all the clips on the covers. So far this seems to have fixed the issue but seeing as it could potentially be something else I'll definitely keep an ear open for it to reappear. Crossing my fingers that its fixed for good.

Good luck with your problem and getting it fixed. Hopefully the dealership will be able to isolate your problem and fix it to your satisfaction. I totally understand your frustration on this one as the noise is extremely annoying and not fitting of a premium brand. So far my MDX has had very few issues but even being an Acura fan its started to be too much (maybe I need a BMW or something similar and my perspective may change). Told my dealer I didn't want to see them until my next oil change in 7k miles. I guess you have a standard when a brand has proven reliable in the past. In my previous cars I can count on one hand the number of times they have all gone in for issues. This one is going to surpass them all if this keeps up. Sadly, for all my love of Acura this will probably be my last one.
Old 07-03-2014, 09:03 AM
Pro

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts
Many early build MDXs have had this issue, including mine. I always thought it was a pump or electrical motor. I took our car in for some warranty items; delaminating chrome around the grill, taillight full of water. I mentioned the issue to the service representative and he found a TSB regarding the front engine cowl fasteners. During the service the TSB was performed and the noise is gone. Since the noise/vibration was sporadic I'm not sure its banished, but the fact is I haven't heard it in over 1000 miles.
Old 07-03-2014, 02:15 PM
3rd Gear

I think we might have a fix. I just got off the phone with Mr. John Ferry, the service manager for Autonation Acura in Spokane, Washington (509) 444-7000, Ferry@autonation.com. John is a very helpful and knowledgeable professional that fully understands what is causing the irritating noise I have been complaining about. John says in the case he dealt with (also a fluttering noise) it was due to the rear rockers. He said replacing the rear rockers fixed the problem. He said Acura in Torrance, CA was given the Field Quality Report (FQR), so check with them. I provided this information to the service manager where I bought my car, so, hopefully, I will be getting my car fixed soon.

Thanks again to all of you for adding your comments.
Larry
Old 07-19-2014, 06:17 PM
3rd Gear

Unfortunately, I am still waiting for a response from Acura regarding the possibility that the “fluttering or grinding noise” is due to the rear rockers (see earlier post dated July 3, 2014). Since work performed under TSB-014 appears to have worked for some (again, unfortunately not me), I’ve decided to also pursue this fix again. I would really appreciate if someone can help me determine exactly what cover is the culprit. Does anyone have a link to a diagram or picture that will help identify where to look for the subject cover? Also, does anyone have any insight as to whether this annoying sound would qualify under lemon law (effect on value). Thanks for any assistance.
Old 07-20-2014, 11:43 AM
Cruisin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by RL06tech
Many early build MDXs have had this issue, including mine. I always thought it was a pump or electrical motor. I took our car in for some warranty items; delaminating chrome around the grill, taillight full of water. I mentioned the issue to the service representative and he found a TSB regarding the front engine cowl fasteners. During the service the TSB was performed and the noise is gone. Since the noise/vibration was sporadic I'm not sure its banished, but the fact is I haven't heard it in over 1000 miles.
i have same issue with mine peeling chrome around the grill and water on the on the taillight , do the dealer change it under warranty ?
thanks
Old 08-06-2014, 01:12 PM
4th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I got the clips replaced which fixed the loud noise issue after two visits which was frustrating. The problem I have is that I still can feel the vibration that caused the loud noise so i'm concerned that something else is going on.