Hybrid questions

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2019 | 05:28 PM
Racer

Hybrid questions

After a few weeks is of using my Sports Hybrid I am obsessed with using EV mode as much as I can. Most of my driving is on the highway and in Normal mode.

I have a bunch of questions about the system and wondering what other users are getting. My answers are between brackets.

What is the fastest you can consistently achieve on EV? (57).

What is the farthest uninterrupted you drove while on EV? (1/2 mile or so?).

How many miles was your longest EV during a trip? (11 on a 32).

Have you ever seen the battery fully charged? (No).

Have you ever seen the battery completely depleted? (No).

Have you ever seen the car running on EV with tachometer at zero but no indication from the battery graphic that is powering the rear wheels while you are pressing the gas pedal? (Yes).

Have you ever seen the battery display showing it was powering the front wheels? (I am pretty sure I saw it once).
The following users liked this post:
mellonc (09-10-2019)
Old 09-09-2019 | 07:49 PM
mrgold35

Our Hybrid is the wife's daily driver with nearly all city miles with in-town hwy runs for work/errands. I probably only put around 300 miles out of the 3000 on the odo. I leave it in Sport mode and I never tried in Comfort or Normal modes. I sometimes put it in Sport+ mode at at stop light if I need a quicker start. The other modes will turn off the engine at a stop and the MDX can be a little jerky transitioning from EV and/or gas if need some speed.

What is the fastest you can consistently achieve on EV?. About the same mph in the mid 50s for extended EV mode on level ground. Seen EV mode at +65 mph on declines for very short runs.

What is the farthest uninterrupted you drove while on EV? (1/2 mile or so?). A little over a 1/3 of a mile; which, is about the distance once I turn into my neighborhood, stop to check the mail, and continue home (up hill the last 300 feet all in EV mode if I'm light on pedal).

How many miles was your longest EV during a trip? (11 on a 32). Probably a mile or two in constant EV mode because of stop/go city driving. Ev mode is constantly engaging; but, not for extended time or mileage.

Have you ever seen the battery fully charged? (No). No, the max is one bar below full. Drove 1 hour to Santa Fe with ACC and the battery varied between 1/3 - 3/4 most of the time up and back. Not sure if I can get 100% unless the hwy is long and flat.

Have you ever seen the battery completely depleted? (No). No, the min is one bar only. I'm thinking the electric motor can run just as effectively off the battery and/or engine power. I'm thinking the battery is needed for EV mode only for improved city mpgs.

Have you ever seen the car running on EV with tachometer at zero but no indication from the battery graphic that is powering the rear wheels while you are pressing the gas pedal? (Yes). Yes, I haven't figured out the conditions for this mode; but, I've seen it on the power distribution display. It usually starts in fwd EV mode and then the gas engine kicks in for more power, Sometimes only the fwd power is used if I need to slowly accelerate at speed of +60 mph.

Have you ever seen the battery display showing it was powering the front wheels? (I am pretty sure I saw it once). Yes, usually at higher speeds. There were times I didn't see as much of rwd power used at +75 mph.

Other conditions I've noticed:
- In a curve with fwd and only one rear outboard wheel powered

- In a (tighter) curve with fwd and one rear outboard wheel forward power AND inside rear wheel reverse power

- front engines off and rear electric motors are being used together going straight or only the outside rear motor on a curve.

- engine is off, no battery power being used, and I'm just coasting with the power distribution blank (mostly on a decline)

Odd conditions:
- in ACC mode and I had to slow down and accelerate back to the set speed, the MDX will accelerate up to 5 mph above my set ACC speed before dropping back down.
Old 09-09-2019 | 08:04 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by mrgold35
Our Hybrid is the wife's daily driver with nearly all city miles with in-town hwy runs for work/errands. I probably only put around 300 miles out of the 3000 on the odo. I leave it in Sport mode and I never tried in Comfort or Normal modes. I sometimes put it in Sport+ mode at at stop light if I need a quicker start. The other modes will turn off the engine at a stop and the MDX can be a little jerky transitioning from EV and/or gas if need some speed.

What is the fastest you can consistently achieve on EV?. About the same mph in the mid 50s for extended EV mode on level ground. Seen EV mode at +65 mph on declines for very short runs.

What is the farthest uninterrupted you drove while on EV? (1/2 mile or so?). A little over a 1/3 of a mile; which, is about the distance once I turn into my neighborhood, stop to check the mail, and continue home (up hill the last 300 feet all in EV mode if I'm light on pedal).

How many miles was your longest EV during a trip? (11 on a 32). Probably a mile or two in constant EV mode because of stop/go city driving. Ev mode is constantly engaging; but, not for extended time or mileage.

Have you ever seen the battery fully charged? (No). No, the max is one bar below full. Drove 1 hour to Santa Fe with ACC and the battery varied between 1/3 - 3/4 most of the time up and back. Not sure if I can get 100% unless the hwy is long and flat.

Have you ever seen the battery completely depleted? (No). No, the min is one bar only. I'm thinking the electric motor can run just as effectively off the battery and/or engine power. I'm thinking the battery is needed for EV mode only for improved city mpgs.

Have you ever seen the car running on EV with tachometer at zero but no indication from the battery graphic that is powering the rear wheels while you are pressing the gas pedal? (Yes). Yes, I haven't figured out the conditions for this mode; but, I've seen it on the power distribution display. It usually starts in fwd EV mode and then the gas engine kicks in for more power, Sometimes only the fwd power is used if I need to slowly accelerate at speed of +60 mph.

Have you ever seen the battery display showing it was powering the front wheels? (I am pretty sure I saw it once). Yes, usually at higher speeds. There were times I didn't see as much of rwd power used at +75 mph.

Other conditions I've noticed:

- In a (tighter) curve with fwd and one rear outboard wheel forward power AND inside rear wheel reverse power

- front engines off and rear electric motors are being used together going straight or only the outside rear motor on a curve.

- engine is off, no battery power being used, and I'm just coasting with the power distribution blank (mostly on a decline)

Odd conditions:
- in ACC mode and I had to slow down and accelerate back to the set speed, the MDX will accelerate up to 5 mph above my set ACC speed before dropping back down.
We pretty much experience the same results. Consistency is good...
It is weird to see that EV power is going to the front wheels. I was under the impression that only the rear wheels were powered electrically. Perhaps is a false reading sending the juice to the front.
I also observed the other conditions you mentioned except seeing speed grow by 5 mph to achieve programmed speed. I would say the most I observed is 2 mph.
Old 09-09-2019 | 10:11 PM
mrgold35

There is an electric motor within the 7DCT to 3 total. I think Lexus/Toyota might only do the electric rear only.

The Interstate speeds are 75 mph and I set the ACC to 80 mph. I think I was accelerating back to ACC on an incline might be the factors for the additional speed? I just need to drive it more to learn all the quirks of the hybrid.
Old 09-10-2019 | 10:38 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by mrgold35
There is an electric motor within the 7DCT to 3 total. I think Lexus/Toyota might only do the electric rear only.
LEXUS RX450h AWD which I own currently powers the front transaxle and/or the rear transaxle.
The following users liked this post:
mrgold35 (09-10-2019)
Old 09-11-2019 | 09:07 AM
Intermediate

My commute is 15 miles each way. After consulting the trip computer i can see that EV mode accounted for about 7+ of those miles. hence my trip mpg of over 30.
Old 09-19-2019 | 09:42 PM
Safety Car

from above:
"Other conditions I've noticed:

- front engines off and rear electric motors are being used together going straight or only the outside rear motor on a curve."

I've also observed at freeway speed in a curve, the inside rear powered and outside rear reverse power. Typically must be above 65 mph