How much does your MDX roll after transmission is in Park

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2015, 07:59 AM
Intermediate

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts
How much does your MDX roll after transmission is in Park

I have noticed that my 14 MDX rolls a bit after putting in P. I am curious whether other owners have noticed the same? I have compared this behavior to my wife's car and hers has almost 0 roll after P.
Old 05-06-2015, 08:10 AM

Received 16,260 Likes on 11,971 Posts
Originally Posted by Wiki
A parking pawl is a device fitted to a motor vehicle's automatic transmission in order for it to lock up the transmission. It is engaged when the transmission shift lever selector is placed in the Park position

The parking pawl locks the transmission's output shaft to the transmission casing by engaging a pawl (a pin) that engages in a notched wheel on the shaft, stopping it (and thus the driven wheels) from rotating. The main components of a parking pawl mechanism are the parking gear, parking pawl, Actuator rod, cam collar, cam plate, pivot pin and parking pawl return spring. The mechanism assembly is designed so that the parking pawl tooth collides and overrides the parking gear teeth (ratchets) until a safe engagement speed for the vehicle is reached. Software controls are put in place to avoid this condition and engage the pawl only when the vehicle has come to a stand still.

Most vehicle manufacturers and auto mechanics do not recommend using the transmission's parking pawl as the sole means of securing a parked vehicle, instead recommending it should only be engaged after first applying the vehicle's parking brake. Constant use of only the parking pawl, especially when parking on a steep incline, means that driveline components, and transmission internals, are kept constantly under stress, and can cause wear and eventual failure of the parking pawl or transmission linkage. The pawl might also fail or break if the vehicle is pushed with sufficient force, if the parking brake is not firmly engaged. Replacement can be an expensive operation since it generally requires removing the transmission from the car.
It is highly inadvisable to use the parking pawl to stop a vehicle in motion. Modern parking pawls are connected to a safety mechanism that prevents the pawl from engaging unless the vehicle is stopped first. The pawl mechanism is generally not strong enough to stop a vehicle in motion, if it engages at all. Under that much stress, the pawl may simply break off in the transmission, leading to costly repairs
use the Parking brake before you put it in Park and it wont roll.
Old 05-06-2015, 08:52 AM
3G TL/2G MDX Owner

Received 978 Likes on 803 Posts
On any incline I always engage my parking brake with my foot still on the brake and the car in park. If parking on a flat surface, then I do not engage my parking brake.

I have a different procedure in my TL since I have a third pedal
The following users liked this post:
justnspace (05-06-2015)
Old 05-06-2015, 09:06 AM
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by fun2drive
I have noticed that my 14 MDX rolls a bit after putting in P. I am curious whether other owners have noticed the same? I have compared this behavior to my wife's car and hers has almost 0 roll after P.
This is on the same parking spot but different cars?

My car does not roll when I park in my parking spot. Sometimes when I park at the gym, there is a very slight roll. I am assuming the concrete is uneven there.
Old 05-06-2015, 12:36 PM
Pro

Received 130 Likes on 95 Posts
Originally Posted by fun2drive
None. I always engage the parking brake first and then put it in park. Press brake pedal and then press parking brake and then put it in park.

To drive, press brake, release parking brake and put it in gear. Release brake pedal.

I want zero stress on the parking pawls.
justnspace (05-06-2015)
Old 05-06-2015, 03:39 PM
Racer

Received 56 Likes on 55 Posts
Amen. Parking brake is such an easy thing to engage and disengage. Much less stress to your transmission this way. Becomes second nature too. I don't think I've ever NOT used the parking brake in all my 19 years of driving.
Old 05-06-2015, 06:42 PM
Advanced

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by neoshi
Amen. Parking brake is such an easy thing to engage and disengage. Much less stress to your transmission this way. Becomes second nature too. I don't think I've ever NOT used the parking brake in all my 19 years of driving.
I agree, I just never remember having to apply it before putting the car in park.
Old 05-06-2015, 06:59 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by pickettt
I agree, I just never remember having to apply it before putting the car in park.
Yeah same for me up until 2008 when I had a coworker who had a rental vehicle for work with a broken pawl. He never used the parking brake and when a dump trunk hit his vehicle, his rental car rolled down the hill and into a house. Asked the insurance adjuster why an auto vehicle would roll when they usually lock out and that's when he mentioned the broken pawl. Knowing is half the battle!
Old 05-07-2015, 09:58 AM
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I put the transmission in park first before using the parking brake.

Is that bad protocol?

Feels kinda awkward to use both left and right feet. (Right foot to hold brake, and left foot to engage the parking brake).
Old 05-07-2015, 10:04 AM

to prevent strain/stress on the prawl, you'll need to activate the parking brake FIRST, before you put it into park.

not rocket science.....
Old 05-07-2015, 10:41 AM
Advanced

Originally Posted by justnspace
to prevent strain/stress on the prawl, you'll need to activate the parking brake FIRST, before you put it into park.

not rocket science.....
That was a new idea to me. I tried it, car still rolls a bit. Now what?
Old 05-07-2015, 10:44 AM

physics.....

are you on an incline?
Old 05-07-2015, 10:54 AM
Advanced

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
My procedure:

Come to a stop. With foot still on brake, put car in park. Press stop button while pressing park brake with the left foot. Take right foot off brake. Get out of car.

It may roll a TINY bit if on a steep incline, but you don't hear that 'clack' when the pawl takes up the weight of the vehicle, nor do you have any issues getting it out of park.

30 years of driving manuals and a hundred or so hours of flying airplanes makes me comfortable using both feet.

Chris
justnspace (05-07-2015)
Old 05-07-2015, 04:27 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by JustPlaneChris
My procedure:

Come to a stop. With foot still on brake, put car in park. Press stop button while pressing park brake with the left foot. Take right foot off brake. Get out of car.

It may roll a TINY bit if on a steep incline, but you don't hear that 'clack' when the pawl takes up the weight of the vehicle, nor do you have any issues getting it out of park.

30 years of driving manuals and a hundred or so hours of flying airplanes makes me comfortable using both feet.

Chris
This is how I do it too. Maybe it's the aviators in us!
Old 05-08-2015, 01:32 AM
Pro

Originally Posted by jchoi5
I put the transmission in park first before using the parking brake.

Is that bad protocol?

Feels kinda awkward to use both left and right feet. (Right foot to hold brake, and left foot to engage the parking brake).
Yes, this is bad.
Old 05-08-2015, 01:34 AM
Pro

Don't put it in park until the car stops rolling, after you apply the parking brake.
justnspace (05-08-2015)
Old 05-08-2015, 08:45 AM
Advanced

Originally Posted by E92Vancouver
Don't put it in park until the car stops rolling, after you apply the parking brake.
Okay, I understand how that can work. This car will turn on the headlights, windshield wipers, climate control, and sound automatically. ACC and LKAS will damn near drive me to work so long as I have a finger on the steering wheel. However, parking the thing is a several step process.