Heated Seats

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2015, 01:54 PM
10th Gear

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Heated Seats

Why is it every time I get back in the car I have to turn on the heated seats again? I wish the heated seat setting would remain what it was previously. My old MDX had a physical rocker switch that of course could be left on.
The following users liked this post:
NelsonLee (02-10-2015)
Old 02-09-2015, 02:54 PM
Racer

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
I like it that way...no wasted energy. Of course, i live in the south and don't get much cold stuff.
Old 02-09-2015, 03:35 PM
Pro

Received 56 Likes on 46 Posts
Originally Posted by conelectric
Why is it every time I get back in the car I have to turn on the heated seats again? I wish the heated seat setting would remain what it was previously. My old MDX had a physical rocker switch that of course could be left on.
Because that is the way Acura designed it to function.
Old 02-09-2015, 04:21 PM
Advanced

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
Probably for the same reason the stereo blares when you restart, even if it was muted when you shut it off:

The people who designed it obviously never used it!

If they had, I would suspect it would work better.

Chris
Old 02-09-2015, 04:53 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by JustPlaneChris
Probably for the same reason the stereo blares when you restart, even if it was muted when you shut it off:

The people who designed it obviously never used it!

If they had, I would suspect it would work better.

Chris
No, it does not...describe your problem. My stereo works as advertised.
Old 02-09-2015, 07:09 PM
6G TLX-S

Received 1,144 Likes on 817 Posts
Heated seats (and heated rear windshield) are high current-drain devices, and shouldn't be left on continuously in order to prolong the battery life.
Old 02-09-2015, 09:01 PM
Pro

Received 56 Likes on 46 Posts
Originally Posted by Edward'TLS
Heated seats (and heated rear windshield) are high current-drain devices, and shouldn't be left on continuously in order to prolong the battery life.
I believe in all cars, the heated seats do shut off when you turn off the car, however, in some cars they come back on, if you had them on when you previously shut off the car.

On my BMW, if you shut off the car for less than 15 minutes, they will come back on when you re-start. If longer than 15 minues, you will have to turn the heaters back on manually.
Old 02-10-2015, 08:07 AM
Racer

Just be glad that Acura allows MDX to remember IDS mode!
Old 02-10-2015, 08:40 AM
Advanced

Originally Posted by Tigmd99
No, it does not...describe your problem. My stereo works as advertised.
Interesting.

My previous vehicle remembered the mute setting on restart.

On the MDX, if I've hit the mute button on the steering wheel and then shut the car off, when I restart it the radio is un-muted and playing at whatever volume it was when I muted it.

If that is not normal, I'll have the dealer look at it.

Chris
Old 02-10-2015, 08:41 AM
Advanced

Originally Posted by hondu
On my BMW, if you shut off the car for less than 15 minutes, they will come back on when you re-start. If longer than 15 minues, you will have to turn the heaters back on manually.
My VW Jetta was the same way. Awesome on road trips when you stop for a potty break.

I run the seat heat nearly constantly, winter or summer. Feels great on an aging and tweaked back.

Chris
Old 02-10-2015, 08:50 AM
Racer

My VW Jetta was the same way. Awesome on road trips when you stop for a potty break.

I run the seat heat nearly constantly, winter or summer. Feels great on an aging and tweaked back.

Chris
I think that most (if not all) seat heaters run and then stop then run etc. They are not continuous on a long drive.

As your your stereo issue...do you play music from CD player/HDD or do you plug something into USB?
Old 02-10-2015, 02:44 PM
Advanced

I think that most (if not all) seat heaters run and then stop then run etc. They are not continuous on a long drive.

As your your stereo issue...do you play music from CD player/HDD or do you plug something into USB?
The MDX seats seem to be continuous, I do have to cycle them on/off at times because they get a bit too toasty!

The behavior I described is listening to XM, FM, or USB.

Another baffling quirk (compared to my Jetta) is when listening to an audio book on CD or local music on USB, the mute button does not pause playback. It keeps playing, then you lose your place in the book or can't pick up where you left off on the song you were listening to when you muted.

There is no 'pause' button on the screen either. It's like nobody put any thought into the actual usability of the system.

Chris
Old 02-10-2015, 03:29 PM
Racer

The MDX seats seem to be continuous, I do have to cycle them on/off at times because they get a bit too toasty!

The behavior I described is listening to XM, FM, or USB.

Another baffling quirk (compared to my Jetta) is when listening to an audio book on CD or local music on USB, the mute button does not pause playback. It keeps playing, then you lose your place in the book or can't pick up where you left off on the song you were listening to when you muted.

There is no 'pause' button on the screen either. It's like nobody put any thought into the actual usability of the system.

Chris
Weird. I just listened to American Sniper via Audible app. No issue. When i get into the car, i plug in my iPhone...select Audible app and press play on app. Then the car does the rest. I could swear that there is the PLAY/PAUSE virtual button on screen. It works too i believe.

Maybe you need to try a 2015 model? Do you have a 2014? Mine works fine with music via iPhone thru USB.
JustPlaneChris (02-10-2015)
Old 02-10-2015, 03:42 PM
Advanced

Mine is a 2015.

I have briefly listened to content from my old iPod, and it DOES have a pause button on the virtual screen, as there is on Pandora through my Android (bluetooth).

Apparently there's no consistency. <sigh>

Chris
Old 02-10-2015, 03:50 PM
Racer

Mine is a 2015.

I have briefly listened to content from my old iPod, and it DOES have a pause button on the virtual screen, as there is on Pandora through my Android (bluetooth).

Apparently there's no consistency. <sigh>

Chris
Yeah, for me, i always have PLAY/PAUSE virtual button....
Old 02-10-2015, 04:06 PM
Advanced

Yeah, for me, i always have PLAY/PAUSE virtual button....
Argh, that is so irritating. I don't always want to listen to content from the iPod, because frankly I find it a PITA (I'm not an iOS guy).

Likewise, I don't always listen to Pandora because it eats up data (and is glitchy in the rural areas in which I often drive).
  • No pause ability for CD or USB playback
  • No remembering 'mute' setting on restart
  • No scrolling of XM song/artist info (it truncates, often with hilarious effect)

I guess I will just have to come to grips with the fact that the entire system is half-baked, and stop bitching. Moving on. Rant over.
Old 02-10-2015, 06:08 PM
Honda OG

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
I also find it annoying. I don't want them to stay on when the car is off, but they should come on if you left it on. Or at the very least be a feature on the remote start.
conelectric (02-23-2015)
Old 02-10-2015, 07:21 PM
2015 MDX SH-AWD TECH

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Same bitch here. Our 2010 Honda Odyssey has the rocker switches. Seats will heat up automatically ( providing they were on the last time vehicle turned off.)
conelectric (02-23-2015)
Old 02-10-2015, 07:25 PM
Racer

Interesting.

My previous vehicle remembered the mute setting on restart.

On the MDX, if I've hit the mute button on the steering wheel and then shut the car off, when I restart it the radio is un-muted and playing at whatever volume it was when I muted it.

If that is not normal, I'll have the dealer look at it.

Chris
Ok just checked. As you stated. Never bothered me bc my volume is never that loud (set at 11 with speed volume at MOD). In addition, i rarely use mute...i just turn the audio system OFF via power button...or scroll down the volume.

So, easy solution...instead of muting...turn it off.
Old 02-11-2015, 08:26 AM
Advanced

Yep, I had determined that turning it off is the only way to "pause" an audio book on CD or USB. Not the end of the world, but certainly a puzzling design choice when so many other things can be done by feel with the safety and convenience of the steering wheel controls.

Chris
Old 02-15-2015, 11:12 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 2,004 Likes on 1,424 Posts
Yep, I had determined that turning it off is the only way to "pause" an audio book on CD or USB. Not the end of the world, but certainly a puzzling design choice when so many other things can be done by feel with the safety and convenience of the steering wheel controls.

Chris
use the voice command for audio off if you have nav
Old 02-16-2015, 02:34 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by csmeance
use the voice command for audio off if you have nav
Nope, Base model owner here. Gotta reach for it!

Chris
Old 02-23-2015, 05:17 PM
Racer

Now, here is the new Volvo....

Sure looks familiar...Acura is not crazy afterall...others are doing the same thing.