Driver's side 2nd row seat rattle in 2017 MDX

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2017, 02:25 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 307 Likes on 213 Posts
Driver's side 2nd row seat rattle in 2017 MDX

So far my '17 MDX has been great - with the exception of this annoying little rattle when the driver's side 2nd row seat is up and unoccupied. If someone sits in it - or if it's folded down - it's silent. I looked at the archives and found a TSB for a '14 MDX for a recliner cable clip that needed to be repositioned to remove a similar sound - but nothing beyond that 2014 mention. Anyone else notice this? Haven't hit up the dealer yet about it - it's not a huge thing and likely not warranting a visit on it's own. But curious if others have noticed.

thanks! - andy
Old 10-25-2017, 07:24 PM
Racer

Received 56 Likes on 55 Posts
If you can ride in back while someone else drives, check to see that the noise isn't actually coming from the rails. That's where mine was. They had to resecure the rail to the floor. I guess the factory person didn't use enough torque? lol
Old 11-06-2017, 09:42 AM
Burning Brakes

Thought I'd close the loop on this one. Was able to consistently reproduce the rattle by hitting the side of the seat just right, resulting in a metal-to-metal contact within the reclining mechanism on the driver's side 2nd row seat (the hinge area near the middle. covered by the plastic piece). The dealer removed the seat and found a defective reclining mechanism. They ordered a whole new seat frame, and did a great job of tearing down the old seat and putting it back together. It took a couple of days, but now it's quiet as a mouse and seems more stable than it did when new. Definitely thumbs up to the service guy who took his time and made it look like a 700 mile new car should. Was sort of unnerving having it done, but I'm more than happy.

So if you get this metal-on-metal rattle in your second row, this could be the issue.

andy
Old 11-06-2017, 04:44 PM
6G TLX-S

Received 1,152 Likes on 823 Posts
Warranty repair. The dealership will fix it.
Old 11-07-2017, 07:10 AM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Edward'TLS
Warranty repair. The dealership will fix it.
And that they did....
Old 11-13-2017, 04:52 AM
6G TLX-S

Received 1,152 Likes on 823 Posts
Thumbs up

Old 11-20-2017, 08:00 AM
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by andysinnh
Thought I'd close the loop on this one. Was able to consistently reproduce the rattle by hitting the side of the seat just right, resulting in a metal-to-metal contact within the reclining mechanism on the driver's side 2nd row seat (the hinge area near the middle. covered by the plastic piece). The dealer removed the seat and found a defective reclining mechanism. They ordered a whole new seat frame, and did a great job of tearing down the old seat and putting it back together. It took a couple of days, but now it's quiet as a mouse and seems more stable than it did when new. Definitely thumbs up to the service guy who took his time and made it look like a 700 mile new car should. Was sort of unnerving having it done, but I'm more than happy.

So if you get this metal-on-metal rattle in your second row, this could be the issue.

andy
Thanks for the heads up.
Old 12-22-2018, 04:01 PM
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Seat rattle 2014 MDX

I am looking for help on same/similar issue. Have 2104 MDX and mid row passenger seat has become water torture. I turned the cable around to no avail. Dealer says seat frame must be replaced $1200 frame, $1100 labor. A uranium Client Relatuons says NO. Anybody have alternate solutions?