CPO 2018 MDX Sport Hybrid Advance

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2021, 12:41 PM
®

Received 474 Likes on 224 Posts
CPO 2018 MDX Sport Hybrid Advance

Hello,

I had an opportunity to drive CPO 18 Hybrid Advance last night. It has 25K miles, one owner, no accidents, black on black for $40K. It really felt like a brand new car. I'm interesting in hearing ownership experiences, particularly from people who left sedans to drive MDX. What are the drawbacks (if any) of the 3.0 vs 3.5 in RLX Hybrid? Is this the same 3.0 from mid 2000s Accord? From what I can see, it's a J series 3.0 VTEC 24V SOHC which leads me to believe it is a direct descendant of the 3.0 in 2005(ish) Accord which is one of my favorite engines. TIA
Old 06-08-2021, 03:03 PM
mrgold35

Received 1,545 Likes on 1,201 Posts
The MDX Sport hybrid IS NOT a traditional hybrid like from Toyota, Lexus, or Honda Accord/CR-V. The 17-20 MDX Sport hybrid has almost the same electric hybrid components as the RLX/NSX Sport hybrids. The MDX Sport Hybrid is closer to the 22 MDX 355hp Type-S in performance and handling that happens to get 25-27 mpgs. You will be disappointing in the mpgs if you are expecting Lexus hybrid mileage.

I have a 19 MDX Adv hybrid since Mar/2019 with +21,000 miles on her now. The only issue I've had was buzzing sound from both front windows at hwy speeds I fixed with silicone grease in the felt tracks. The 3.0L NA engine is always working with the 3 electric motors to either provide combined power, tq vectoring, and/or recharge of the battery pack. I've seen my hybrid in 1 wheel drive leaving the community mailbox with one of the rear electric motors proving power. The hybrid will feel more like a 3.8L - 4.0L NA V-6 when you have all 4 motors working together. My lifetime average on mpg is around 25.5 with 30%-35% of that interstate speeds of 75-85 mph.

Downsides:
- no entertainment system option for Adv or tech hybrid
- Capt chairs only for Adv model
- no spare tire (you can add the kit along with a full size spare)
- no towing (you can add a hitch for bikes or hitch carrier
- no control over the hybrid system, it kicks in/out as needed depending on driving conditions and IDS mode.
- Several of us had Acura tech put 5.7 qts of oil in the engine instead of 4.5 qts for the hybrid on first service (looks so similar to the 3.5L MDX, even in the engine bay)
- hybrid HATES cold weather near or below freezing. Pretty much just the 3.0L NA hauling around 4500lbs in those temps (still get +20 mpg on those days)

Upsides:
- 19.4 gal gas tank and you will get +450 mile range in city/hwy/combine driving
- looks exactly like a regular 3.5L MDX (hybrid badge on front fenders and blue "SH" on sh-awd emblem on rear)
- exact same interior space and all OEM accessories fit on the hybrid (splash guards, side steps, roof cross bars, hitch, etc...)
- electronic dampers standard on tech and Adv models
- Sport+ mode
- no Auto Stop/Start mode like the 3.5L MDX (very smooth and almost invisible NA to electric power transition if you work the pedal right)
- regen braking+tq vectoring works all the time with or without engine power accelerating or braking (very stable vehicle all the time)

I liked my MDX hybrid so much, I ended up getting a CPO 18 RLX hybrid the same year in Dec/2019. I don't think I can go back to the 3.5L MDX after driving my MDX hybrid for +2 years.

The following 7 users liked this post by mrgold35:
E.G.P. (10-21-2023), jdpdata (06-10-2021), LC-TL2002 (09-13-2021), loki (06-08-2021), moose66 (06-09-2021), savvich (06-16-2021), shenofjo (06-14-2021) and 2 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 06-08-2021, 06:16 PM
®

Received 474 Likes on 224 Posts
Originally Posted by mrgold35
The MDX Sport hybrid IS NOT a traditional hybrid like from Toyota, Lexus, or Honda Accord/CR-V. The 17-20 MDX Sport hybrid has almost the same electric hybrid components as the RLX/NSX Sport hybrids. The MDX Sport Hybrid is closer to the 22 MDX 355hp Type-S in performance and handling that happens to get 25-27 mpgs. You will be disappointing in the mpgs if you are expecting Lexus hybrid mileage.

I have a 19 MDX Adv hybrid since Mar/2019 with +21,000 miles on her now. The only issue I've had was buzzing sound from both front windows at hwy speeds I fixed with silicone grease in the felt tracks. The 3.0L NA engine is always working with the 3 electric motors to either provide combined power, tq vectoring, and/or recharge of the battery pack. I've seen my hybrid in 1 wheel drive leaving the community mailbox with one of the rear electric motors proving power. The hybrid will feel more like a 3.8L - 4.0L NA V-6 when you have all 4 motors working together. My lifetime average on mpg is around 25.5 with 30%-35% of that interstate speeds of 75-85 mph.

Downsides:
- no entertainment system option for Adv or tech hybrid
- Capt chairs only for Adv model
- no spare tire (you can add the kit along with a full size spare)
- no towing (you can add a hitch for bikes or hitch carrier
- no control over the hybrid system, it kicks in/out as needed depending on driving conditions and IDS mode.
- Several of us had Acura tech put 5.7 qts of oil in the engine instead of 4.5 qts for the hybrid on first service (looks so similar to the 3.5L MDX, even in the engine bay)
- hybrid HATES cold weather near or below freezing. Pretty much just the 3.0L NA hauling around 4500lbs in those temps (still get +20 mpg on those days)

Upsides:
- 19.4 gal gas tank and you will get +450 mile range in city/hwy/combine driving
- looks exactly like a regular 3.5L MDX (hybrid badge on front fenders and blue "SH" on sh-awd emblem on rear)
- exact same interior space and all OEM accessories fit on the hybrid (splash guards, side steps, roof cross bars, hitch, etc...)
- electronic dampers standard on tech and Adv models
- Sport+ mode
- no Auto Stop/Start mode like the 3.5L MDX (very smooth and almost invisible NA to electric power transition if you work the pedal right)
- regen braking+tq vectoring works all the time with or without engine power accelerating or braking (very stable vehicle all the time)

I liked my MDX hybrid so much, I ended up getting a CPO 18 RLX hybrid the same year in Dec/2019. I don't think I can go back to the 3.5L MDX after driving my MDX hybrid for +2 years.
This is probably the best reply I've ever gotten anywhere. Thank you for your time!
The following 3 users liked this post by loki:
moose66 (06-09-2021), savvich (06-16-2021), shenofjo (06-14-2021)
Old 06-08-2021, 06:26 PM
Greb 06 RL

Received 26 Likes on 16 Posts
I have 38K miles on my 2017 SH Advance with no problems. It is the best combination of performance, handling, and luxury for a very reasonable price. I drove a 2022 MDX and it was noticeably slower and not as quiet in the cabin as the Hybrid.
The following users liked this post:
bmoua15 (06-09-2021)
Old 06-08-2021, 10:54 PM
Instructor

Received 80 Likes on 60 Posts
I agree with MrGold. IMHO acura made a great choice with the hybrid by using the hybrid technology to get in town mpg = non hybrid highway mpg and using any "leftover" from the hybrid for performance. Yes, highway mpg is only 1mpg better than the non hybrid but it's performance is way improved. We looked at Lexus and frankly, I'm not impressed with most toyota/lexus hybrids. yes, highway mpg is great, but at the expense of performance, especially when in many cases it's worse than the non hybrid . yes a atkins cycle engine is great for economy but not for performance. We are currently on our first road trip on our 2019 hybrid mdx advance (covid cancelled 5 earlier planned road trips) and so far we have crossed the continental divide 3 times, spent most of the trip in states with a 80 mph speed limit and the hybrid performance and handling is amazing for a SUV. And it is quite. 80 mph and passenger in the third row can converse with front seat passenger at normal speaking volume. And so far we have averaged close to 26mpg . Oh and the trunk is huge. On this trip we had a few things to transport to my brother and we didn't need to drop the second row seats for the extra luggage. And for a few short jaunts we packed 6 adults in the car all in reasonable comfort. (well, front and middle was outstanding comfort, rear was ok) But at least the second row captains chairs can slide forward to give the 3rd row passengers reasonable leg room.
Old 06-09-2021, 01:20 AM
Racer

Received 61 Likes on 51 Posts
I came from a 2013 Accord V6 sedan and currently own a 2016 Lexus IS 350 Fsport (wife's daily). There is nothing on the market like the MDX Hybrid. By that I mean there isn't any reliable premium/luxury SUV hybrid with a dual clutch that has torque vectoring and adaptive shocks. Compared to my Lexus the only draw back about the MDX Hybrid is its reduced acceleration from a speed of 60+ mph (because of its 4000lb+ weight) and the electric motors shuts off after 80+mph. Other than that I enjoy carving corners with my MDX than the Lexus. Both cars are on slightly wider pilot sport 4s summer tires.
Old 06-09-2021, 07:17 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 265 Likes on 207 Posts
I'm on my second MDX hybrid Advance. Had a 2018 and sold it to get the last year of the MDX hybrid (for all we know today), the 2020 model year. Love the hybrid for all the reasons well stated by mrgold. I had previous experience with the Acura hybrids, as I owned a 2016 RLX Sport Hybrid Advance. I knew what to expect. Also owned a Lexus RLX hybrid for comparison sake. Although I did like the Lexus, to me the Acura is the class leader on performance. Can't beat the power and smoothness of the Acura hybrid in my opinion. Hard to imagine you can have the power when needed and still get over 400 miles to a tank of gas. And yes, I know the tank is of normal size. The same can't be said about the tank size on my RLX.

Although the shortcomings, such as no spare, no towing, no entertainment system, etc. may sway a few. Those were not factors in my decision to own a couple. If I were you, I would certainly consider one. Especially a clean, certified one. Good luck!
The following 2 users liked this post by moose66:
bmoua15 (06-09-2021), LC-TL2002 (09-13-2021)
Old 06-09-2021, 09:06 AM
Advanced

Received 22 Likes on 11 Posts
This question from the OP couldn't have come at a better time! I currently drive a 2019 TLX A-Spec, but just picked up a CPO 2020 MDX Sport Hybrid Tech last night for the wife (traded in 2018 Acadia Denali). My dealership was using it as a test/loaner vehicle so it only had 7250 miles on it. Thanks for all the replies here, you know the saying "Happy wife...".
bmoua15 (06-09-2021)
Old 06-09-2021, 09:25 AM
mrgold35

Originally Posted by rwg105
This question from the OP couldn't have come at a better time! I currently drive a 2019 TLX A-Spec, but just picked up a CPO 2020 MDX Sport Hybrid Tech last night for the wife (traded in 2018 Acadia Denali). My dealership was using it as a test/loaner vehicle so it only had 7250 miles on it. Thanks for all the replies here, you know the saying "Happy wife...".
Another MDX Sport Hybrid has found a happy home!

Double-check the oil level now and the next service at Acura to make sure it has 4.5 qts for the 3.0L and not the 5.7 qts the 3.5L MDX takes.
Old 06-09-2021, 10:34 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by moose66
I'm on my second MDX hybrid Advance. Had a 2018 and sold it to get the last year of the MDX hybrid (for all we know today), the 2020 model year. Love the hybrid for all the reasons well stated by mrgold. I had previous experience with the Acura hybrids, as I owned a 2016 RLX Sport Hybrid Advance. I knew what to expect. Also owned a Lexus RLX hybrid for comparison sake. Although I did like the Lexus, to me the Acura is the class leader on performance. Can't beat the power and smoothness of the Acura hybrid in my opinion. Hard to imagine you can have the power when needed and still get over 400 miles to a tank of gas. And yes, I know the tank is of normal size. The same can't be said about the tank size on my RLX.

Although the shortcomings, such as no spare, no towing, no entertainment system, etc. may sway a few. Those were not factors in my decision to own a couple. If I were you, I would certainly consider one. Especially a clean, certified one. Good luck!
the "no spare" is very easily solved. buy the acura spare tire kit, (mechanism and donut rim) and either (a) buy a donut tire or (b) toss the donut rim, buy a full size rim on ebay and a full size tire and have a REAL spare. (I did option (b)).

Old 06-10-2021, 01:09 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 333 Likes on 230 Posts
Welcome to the Sport Hybrid club! It's a real shame we may never see another Sport Hybrid from Acura again. I love both of mine.
Old 06-10-2021, 01:11 PM
Burning Brakes

Another MDX Sport Hybrid has found a happy home!

Double-check the oil level now and the next service at Acura to make sure it has 4.5 qts for the 3.0L and not the 5.7 qts the 3.5L MDX takes.
What happens if they overfill it? Now you got me paranoid. Is the RLX-SH same 4.5 qts?
Old 06-10-2021, 04:10 PM
mrgold35

Originally Posted by jdpdata
What happens if they overfill it? Now you got me paranoid. Is the RLX-SH same 4.5 qts?
Both the RLX hybrid and MDX hybrids take 4.5 qts of motor oil. I usually bring my own Mobil 1 oil in a 5 qt jug for them to use. I was out of town in San Antonino for my very first oil change and used Gunn Acura. I only had the extra oil in my 3.0L engine for a day and maybe 10 miles of city driving. I've heard overfilling an engine can cause more damage compared to an under filled engine.

This was where the oil level was with 5.7 qts in the engine instead of between the RCA and crosshatch markers:

Old 06-10-2021, 04:37 PM
Burning Brakes

I went immediately to check my oil level. My RLX seems a little over-filled. Do you think this is OK?

MDX-SH

RLX-SH
Old 06-10-2021, 05:03 PM
mrgold35

Looks like it is 1/2 qt over filled. I'm not 100% sure if Acura changes out the oil filter everytime for "A" oil changes? The "B" oil service includes an oil filter change. If you had an "A" service recently and they probably added the correct amount of 4.5 qts of oil; BUT, they "didn't" account for the oil in the filter. This is just my guess-i-mation of why you are 1/2 qt over. You could always remove the extra oil out by the filter (pour out or just replace with a new oil filter). I don't know if will be any short term or long term issues with just a 1/2 qt over?
Old 06-10-2021, 05:14 PM
Burning Brakes

I'll go get oil change for the RLX ASAP. Selling dealership said they changed oil when I purchased car 8 months ago, but by the look of the darker oil I doubt they did that. My RLX is only 5600 miles, not too concerned if they did over-filled. Thanks for bring this to my attention!
Old 06-11-2021, 03:07 PM
Racer

Received 84 Likes on 74 Posts
I will echo what everyone else has said so far in this thread. Our 2017 Hybrid Advance is coming up on 58K miles and has been a great vehicle so far. I will add that due to the regenerative braking, there is a lot less wear and tear on the pads and rotors, so these items will last much longer than on a regular MDX. Based on what I see on our car, there is no reason why the pads and rotors will not go well beyond 100K miles before needing replacement.
Old 06-11-2021, 03:21 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by MBP 03
I will echo what everyone else has said so far in this thread. Our 2017 Hybrid Advance is coming up on 58K miles and has been a great vehicle so far. I will add that due to the regenerative braking, there is a lot less wear and tear on the pads and rotors, so these items will last much longer than on a regular MDX. Based on what I see on our car, there is no reason why the pads and rotors will not go well beyond 100K miles before needing replacement.
I agree, there is less wear on the brake pads and rotors and they should go well past 100K, as should even non hybrids. My 2004 duramax diesel which for most of it's life towed a 10,000lb trailer (18,000 lbs overall) now has 230K miles on it with the original rotors and pads. They will likely last another 50K miles. My Mercedes E420 I got from my brother had 100K on it with original pads, still lots of life, but hated the black dust so went with Akebono's and 90K miles later they aren't even worn 50%. My 2015 duramax has 60K and hardly show any brake pad wear. And I'm not an easy driver on brakes. Back in the 70's and 80's I had multiple vehicles that if I got 30-50 K miles out of a set of pads I was doing really well. By the mid 80's it was even worse as mfg had to abandon asbestos and find new materials, the initial choices weren't very good for pad life.

Current vehicle design has several advantages for much longer pad/rotor life. Gone are the 13", 14" 15" and even 16" wheels, With 18" or 20" wheels much larger rotors and larger brake pads can be fitted greatly increasing life. Add to that the newer brake material to replace the old standard of asbestos, and going away from cheap cast rotor of low quality iron to the newer more wear resistant materials and brakes are almost a never need replacing item.
Old 06-11-2021, 04:58 PM
mrgold35

The 17-20 MDX hybrids come with Ferritic Nitrocarburizing (FNC) front and rear brake discs and Acura stated not the turn/machine them. I don't know if any hybrid owners experience warping feeling with the brakes yet? It could mean you just have to replace the brake fluid every 3-4 years and add OEM pads without turning at +100,000 miles.

http://www.urvi.net/forumfiles/SN/B18100F.PDF
bmoua15 (06-11-2021)
Old 06-11-2021, 11:10 PM
Instructor

We just got back from our first road trip in the hybrid. When we bought it Feb 2020, we had 5 trips planned, about 12K miles, zip happened. This was our first, 2500 miles, oregon coast to idaho, montana, washington and back home. Crossed the continental divide 4 times, most of the highways had 80mph speed limits, secondary roads with little traffic. Car did everything we expected, Enough cargo space for easy packing, comfortable, quiet, decent fuel economy. worst mileage was coming back down the columbia river gorge, 70mph with a 30-40 mph headwind, and MID was showing 23 mpg. overall hand calculated economy was 26.5mpg, Amazing that the in town mileage is about the same.

Before the trip we agreed the MDX hyrbrid more than met expectations for around town, Now we decided it did that and more for long distance highway trips. for us 500-600 miles/day is our typical drive and the MDX lets us do that and not be tired out.

We got this car to replace an E class MB. Overall, the MDX is more comfortable, more room, better economy, bigger trunk, and close for handling. more upright seats are just more comfortable than seats in a sedan.
The following 2 users liked this post by MCRacer:
moose66 (06-12-2021), mrgold35 (06-12-2021)
Old 06-12-2021, 10:55 AM
Instructor

To add to my above comments.
The NAV system on the MDX is a mixed blessing. routing is good and display is good, but entering a destination isn't all that great. Using android auto and Google for the routing and display is better. Our GMC denali definitely has a better NAV system.
Acura Nav doesn't show traffic conditions near as well as our Denali does.
I had loaded almost all of my audio CD collection onto the HDD (actually used up all the HDD space), so we had a huge selection of music to listen to and pick from very easily.
Our Denali has wifi and phone, which is nice. Our cell phones are Verizon, Denali wifi/phone is ATT, and given the remote locations we travel to we find that many places have service from one or the other but not both. Wish the Acura had at least wifi
Wish routing could be done like with Onstar, make a call, route downloaded. No issues on this trip but in the past we have run into traffic/road closures and Onstar was able to either route us around or tell us how long the road would be closed to we could just stay at the rest stop till we knew road was open. In one case a few years ago I-90 was backed up westbound for almost 30 miles due to an accident that closed both lanes. With onstar we at least knew when the road was finally opening so we could plan on when to get back on the road.
Still not all that impressed with "keyless go" or what the advantage is. The fob is pretty big and with keyless go it's in my pocket rather than in the ignition. Or I need to put it in the center glovebox and remember it when I get out.
And when loaded with a armfull of luggage, the "open the rear hatch with a swinging foot" would really be nice. Not sure why Acura didn't do that with the MMY update, since it's at least an option on the Pilot for a long time.
Old 06-12-2021, 11:40 AM
Burning Brakes

Keyfob is huge that's why I got this hook to clip on my belt.

All the deficiency of the OEM navigation is solved with GROM Vline2. I absolutely love it now with Wireless Android Auto. Just get into the car and go. No more worrying about USB cables.

Old 06-12-2021, 12:52 PM
Racer

Received 84 Likes on 74 Posts
The 17-20 MDX hybrids come with Ferritic Nitrocarburizing (FNC) front and rear brake discs and Acura stated not the turn/machine them. I don't know if any hybrid owners experience warping feeling with the brakes yet? It could mean you just have to replace the brake fluid every 3-4 years and add OEM pads without turning at +100,000 miles.

http://www.urvi.net/forumfiles/SN/B18100F.PDF
No rotor warpage on ours.
Old 06-12-2021, 04:33 PM
Instructor

Keyfob is huge that's why I got this hook to clip on my belt.

All the deficiency of the OEM navigation is solved with GROM Vline2. I absolutely love it now with Wireless Android Auto. Just get into the car and go. No more worrying about USB cables.

we use android auto on ours also. just not the wireless, just plug the phone in the correct usb plug and up comes android auto. Much better nav with google.
jdpdata (09-03-2021)
Old 09-03-2021, 09:29 AM
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi Guys, I am taking delivery of a Certified 2018 Hybrid Advanced in a few days. For some reason, some of the parts for 2019 say they won't fit on the 2018. The parts guy I am working with believes there should be no issue at all. The parts I am asking about specifically are the Puddle/ Welcome Lights and the body-colored splash guards. Do any of you have any experience with either of these on the 2107 or 2018 Hybrids?

Welcome Lights
https://www.oemacuraparts.com/oem-pa...or-08v27tz5200

Splash Guards
https://www.oemacuraparts.com/oem-pa...p-08p00tz5211b

Old 09-03-2021, 10:27 AM
mrgold35

Shouldn't be an issue since the physical parts haven't changed for the 17-20 MDXs. Sometimes Acura updates the part numbers if something changes like available colors or models (Aspec MDX was added in 2019 with new color combos). The hybrid does not come with a spare tire. It takes the same spare tire hardware as the sh-awd MDX. I "think" the kit comes with all the hardware to mount, tools, and only the donut rim. You have to purchase the donut tire separate. Most of us just add a full size spare since the donut is limited to 70 miles max at 50 mph.
Old 09-11-2021, 02:50 PM
10th Gear

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Does that means it's pretty much fwd in snow? I was planning to pick one up especially for snowboarding trips.
Old 09-11-2021, 03:01 PM
mrgold35

Originally Posted by ruturaj
Does that means it's pretty much fwd in snow? I was planning to pick one up especially for snowboarding trips.
You still have sh-awd with tq vectoring and regen braking with cold weather. The hybrid may not go into EV mode once the weather gets below freezing. The 3.0L engine will always run hauling +4500lbs, powering the heated windshield/seats/mirrors/rear defoggers, keeping the battery pack warm, and acting like a generator powering the 3 electric motors at the same time. Results can be low 20s mpgs in extremely cold temps. That is still better than the mid teens from my 11 MDX in same conditions.

The only time I've seen my hybrid act fwd is when my hwy speeds exceed 83 mph.

Last edited by mrgold35; 09-11-2021 at 03:04 PM.
ruturaj (09-11-2021)
Old 09-11-2021, 03:09 PM
10th Gear

You still have sh-awd with tq vectoring and regen braking with cold weather. The hybrid may not go into EV mode once the weather gets below freezing. The 3.0L engine will always run hauling +4500lbs, powering the heated windshield/seats/mirrors/rear defoggers, keeping the battery pack warm, and acting like a generator powering the 3 electric motors at the same time. Results can be low 20s mpgs in extremely cold temps. That is still better than the mid teens from my 11 MDX in same conditions.

The only time I've seen my hybrid act fwd is when my hwy speeds exceed 83 mph.
Gotcha. Thank you so much for explaining.

I am just waiting to see if prices were settle down a little now. The used market is crazy right now. 😂
LC-TL2002 (09-13-2021)
Old 09-11-2021, 03:59 PM
Instructor

if the temps INSIDE the car are below -22F (-30C) the hybrid battery won't supply power. The battery location is such that the car heater will help warm the battery. from the owners manual. Once above that temp the HV battery operates and will power the rear wheels. Note, it may not have full capacity so the engine may run more than normal to keep the battery charged enough.

Around -40F/C it looks like the system will prohibit starting till it warms up. Now I think a block heater is a dealer option, but I don't know if that will also keep the battery warmed up. But I'll bet if it's -40 you won't be heading up skiing!!

Appears when the high voltage battery temperature is
too low to operate (approx. –22°F [–30°C] or below).

You can start the engine and use the climate control
system to warm up the interior, which will also warm
the high voltage battery enough for you to drive the
vehicle.

Vehicle to cold to operate
Appears when the high voltage battery and other
system control temperatures are too low to operate
(approx. –40°F [–40°C] or below).
ruturaj (09-12-2021)
Old 09-12-2021, 01:59 AM
10th Gear

Originally Posted by MCRacer
if the temps INSIDE the car are below -22F (-30C) the hybrid battery won't supply power. The battery location is such that the car heater will help warm the battery. from the owners manual. Once above that temp the HV battery operates and will power the rear wheels. Note, it may not have full capacity so the engine may run more than normal to keep the battery charged enough.

Around -40F/C it looks like the system will prohibit starting till it warms up. Now I think a block heater is a dealer option, but I don't know if that will also keep the battery warmed up. But I'll bet if it's -40 you won't be heading up skiing!!

Appears when the high voltage battery temperature is
too low to operate (approx. –22°F [–30°C] or below).

You can start the engine and use the climate control
system to warm up the interior, which will also warm
the high voltage battery enough for you to drive the
vehicle.

Vehicle to cold to operate
Appears when the high voltage battery and other
system control temperatures are too low to operate
(approx. –40°F [–40°C] or below).
Thank you for the details.

Yes, definitely not going if it gets that cold, lol.
Old 09-14-2021, 06:21 AM
mrgold35

Gotcha. Thank you so much for explaining.

I am just waiting to see if prices were settle down a little now. The used market is crazy right now. 😂
The 2018-2020 MDXs have an updated touchscreen with carplay for apple/android. That would future proof you info-tainment wise if you like to keep your vehicle for a long time. Also, Acuralink won't work on the 14-17 MDX pretty soon because of cell companies retiring the 3G network. The +18 MDXs have the update module for the Acuralink app.
ruturaj (09-16-2021)
Old 09-16-2021, 12:22 AM
10th Gear

The 2018-2020 MDXs have an updated touchscreen with carplay for apple/android. That would future proof you info-tainment wise if you like to keep your vehicle for a long time. Also, Acuralink won't work on the 14-17 MDX pretty soon because of cell companies retiring the 3G network. The +18 MDXs have the update module for the Acuralink app.
Thanks for the info, didn't know about 3G only support, I am eyeing those model years only as I wanted android auto.
Old 09-16-2021, 11:50 AM
Instructor

Thanks for the info, didn't know about 3G only support, I am eyeing those model years only as I wanted android auto.
on the hybrids, MY 2018,19,20 are virtually identical. maybe some slight cosmetic differences and possibly color combos, but otherwise nothing functionally different that I am aware of.
Old 09-16-2021, 12:28 PM
10th Gear

Originally Posted by MCRacer
on the hybrids, MY 2018,19,20 are virtually identical. maybe some slight cosmetic differences and possibly color combos, but otherwise nothing functionally different that I am aware of.
Yes, I am aware of that. Looking for 18-20 only. Used market is crazy right now.

I remembered couple of years ago on this forum, someone posted that they checked trade in value and depreciation hit the MDX hybrid was taking. It's funny how things changed.

I was planning to get MDX in 2018 but changed plans and got Kia Stinger, then my girl friend at that time did too. Now she is my fiancee, I am looking at replacing one with MDX.
Old 09-16-2021, 12:59 PM
mrgold35

The MDX hybrid is hard to find and some 18-19 hybrids are starting to come off lease. You might have open your search from coast to coast if you are looking for a certain color combo, Adv or Tech level, mileage range, or w/ or w/o CPO. I had to travel from ABQ, NM, to Sacramento, CA, to purchase my red/ebony CPO 18 RLX hybrid back in Dec of 2019. That was before the lockdown, the RLX wasn't discontinued yet, and Acura couldn't give the RLX away. I purchased my 19 MDX hybrid in March of 2019 and availability was extremely limited and up to a 2-3 month wait for a 19 model years that wasn't on the lot already (I think Acura didn't make that many 20 MDX hybrids).

Last edited by mrgold35; 09-16-2021 at 01:02 PM.
ruturaj (09-16-2021)
Old 09-20-2021, 10:37 PM
10th Gear

The MDX hybrid is hard to find and some 18-19 hybrids are starting to come off lease. You might have open your search from coast to coast if you are looking for a certain color combo, Adv or Tech level, mileage range, or w/ or w/o CPO. I had to travel from ABQ, NM, to Sacramento, CA, to purchase my red/ebony CPO 18 RLX hybrid back in Dec of 2019. That was before the lockdown, the RLX wasn't discontinued yet, and Acura couldn't give the RLX away. I purchased my 19 MDX hybrid in March of 2019 and availability was extremely limited and up to a 2-3 month wait for a 19 model years that wasn't on the lot already (I think Acura didn't make that many 20 MDX hybrids).
I am pretty open. I wish Acura CPO website let me do nation wide search for hybrid models. Sadly I can't just search for hybrid and max limit is 500 miles. I have been using other modes to search.

I just don't want black exterior and preferably no black interior. And searching for tech as I prefer bench seat over captains chairs.
Old 09-21-2021, 07:07 AM
mrgold35

AutoTrader is good for nation wide searches and you can add filters to narrow down to hybrid models in these color combos. I've found prices are really regional and you can sometimes get an Adv hybrid for around the same price of tech hybrid depending on location.
ruturaj (09-21-2021)
Old 09-22-2021, 02:04 PM
Burning Brakes

I just don't want black exterior and preferably no black interior. And searching for tech as I prefer bench seat over captains chairs.
Unfortunately Acura did not made alot of MDX Hybrid Tech pkg. When we purchased our 2017 MDX-SH Tech, it was 1 of 2 available in the entire state of California. You will have a better chance if you widen your search to include Advanced Pkg. I know you don't want captains chairs, but MDX-SH Tech are very rare and most are with black interior. You may be searching for a unicorn that doesn't exist.
ruturaj (09-22-2021)
Old 09-22-2021, 04:07 PM
10th Gear

Unfortunately Acura did not made alot of MDX Hybrid Tech pkg. When we purchased our 2017 MDX-SH Tech, it was 1 of 2 available in the entire state of California. You will have a better chance if you widen your search to include Advanced Pkg. I know you don't want captains chairs, but MDX-SH Tech are very rare and most are with black interior. You may be searching for a unicorn that doesn't exist.
Thanks, if worst comes to worst I will be okay with black interior. I found few that suit my needs, prices are just crazy right now. My lease on current car is ending in December, so I got some time.

Quick Reply: CPO 2018 MDX Sport Hybrid Advance