Contact Photos for Calls?

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2015, 05:46 PM
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Contact Photos for Calls?

Has anyone been successful at getting contact photos to show on the display for incoming/outgoing calls?

I have a 2016 AWD/Tech, pair with an iPhone 6. Bluetooth seems to work fine, and my address book is sync'ed with the car.

Yet, none of my contacts' photos appear when I am on the phone with them.

I'm just curious if anyone has had success on this and if so, what type of phone they are using. I'm wondering if this might be an iPhone thing or an Acura software thing.

I had a similar issue with album artwork on another vehicle. Turned out that the images had to be below a certain pixel x pixel threshold (less than 1000x1000 pixels) in order to show.

Would love to know the trick to get this to work correctly, if anyone knows it.

Thanks.
Old 03-29-2015, 09:08 AM
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
FWIW: Not sure this will help, I'm researching purchase, but on some web page, from Acura, they said that you can do a bulk upload of all your contacts from your phone to the MDX, maybe that's what you need to do to get the images to load.
Old 07-16-2015, 11:19 AM
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by rmalbers
FWIW: Not sure this will help, I'm researching purchase, but on some web page, from Acura, they said that you can do a bulk upload of all your contacts from your phone to the MDX, maybe that's what you need to do to get the images to load.
Can you expand on where you found this information? My 16 MDX Tech will not show contact photos from my Samsung Galaxy Note 3. I have paired and unpaired, checked and unchecked the setting box. Not sure what else I can try.
Old 07-17-2015, 01:43 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
My 2015 shows contact photos on the screen. I have a Samsung Note 4
Old 07-17-2015, 09:04 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by juruki
My 2015 shows contact photos on the screen. I have a Samsung Note 4
Wow. My Note 3 should work too then. Did you do anything other than check the contact photos box in settings? All other Bluetooth functions work perfectly. I'm stumped.
Old 07-18-2015, 01:17 PM
Instructor

My 2015 shows contact photos from a Samsung Galaxy S5. I didn't do anything special nor check any boxes. Just followed the directions from the car manual. All contacts were completed in one fell swoop.
Old 07-21-2015, 01:09 AM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by 1bythesea
My 2015 shows contact photos from a Samsung Galaxy S5. I didn't do anything special nor check any boxes. Just followed the directions from the car manual. All contacts were completed in one fell swoop.
It's interesting that 2 people have chimed in with Samsung phones and said their phones show contact photos. I spoke with Acura Technical Support today and they said it was a known issue that Samsung phones with Lollipop O.S. are not displaying address book, photos or working with text and email I told him mine works just fine with address book and text messages, but not emails. He told me to consider myself "lucky".

I asked him why two other Samsung owners on this forum's phone shows contact photos, but mine doesn't and he said something ridiculous like it will no longer show once they reboot their phone. The guy was really not very helpful and said it is an Android issue not Acura. Frustrating!
Old 07-21-2015, 09:36 AM
Fightin' Texas Aggie

I guess iPhones don't work either. My iPhone 6 doesn't show photos.
Old 07-21-2015, 11:59 AM
Racer

Received 56 Likes on 55 Posts
Originally Posted by haganjeff
The guy was really not very helpful and said it is an Android issue not Acura. Frustrating!
Suuuure. Blame the company that is still trying to move forward in tech rather than the one using generations old tech and won't even update it.

Much of this would probably be resolved with implementation of Android Auto and Carplay...

Typical Honda/Acura response..

Oh yeah, I can verify that my Lollipop phones don't use contact photos properly, but my KitKat ones can.
Old 07-21-2015, 01:41 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by haganjeff
It's interesting that 2 people have chimed in with Samsung phones and said their phones show contact photos. I spoke with Acura Technical Support today and they said it was a known issue that Samsung phones with Lollipop O.S. are not displaying address book, photos or working with text and email I told him mine works just fine with address book and text messages, but not emails. He told me to consider myself "lucky".

I asked him why two other Samsung owners on this forum's phone shows contact photos, but mine doesn't and he said something ridiculous like it will no longer show once they reboot their phone. The guy was really not very helpful and said it is an Android issue not Acura. Frustrating!
Ah, no. My Galaxy S5 updated to Lollipop OS 5.0 this past spring and I just did another system update this morning that required a reboot. There is still no issue with the phonebook, contact photos showing or receiving texts. Can't vouch for email yet.

I think Neoshi is on to something regarding blame.

Last edited by 1bythesea; 07-21-2015 at 01:43 PM.
Old 04-25-2016, 04:22 PM
2016 MDX Adv/SHAWD

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
I have a Galaxy S7 Edge and all bt and contact syncing works fine except for photos. You would think Acura would be working on increasing the compatibility especially since they tout the technology of the vehicle. Anyone else with a newer android get photos to sync?
Old 04-26-2016, 01:22 PM
Advanced

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by neo1738
I have a Galaxy S7 Edge and all bt and contact syncing works fine except for photos. You would think Acura would be working on increasing the compatibility especially since they tout the technology of the vehicle. Anyone else with a newer android get photos to sync?
my contact photos have been syncing fine since the day I bought the car - at least for android (samsung) users, when pairing the phone there's a variety of permissions requests for messages, contacts, phonebook etc. I used to decline all that and then setup the phonebook permission from the headunit.

I realized later (when I had a system update and had to re-pair the phone) by allowing all the permissions, message sync etc, then turning off the one i didnt care for (messages) - contact photos sync'd fine.

It also helps to have current + higher res contact photos, works great with my s7edge!
Old 04-27-2016, 01:07 PM
2016 MDX Adv/SHAWD

I'm pretty sure I clicked to accept all permissions. I'll check again, thanks.
Old 04-28-2016, 02:22 PM
Advanced

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Just an add here for anyone trying this - here's a screenshot of my Galaxy s7edge's bluetooth profile screen for Sasha, my MDX - the media/phone switches are off since i wasn't connected when i took the pic, however you see i've given both contacts & messaging permissions (this was actually done during the pairing process).

I later turned off messaging sync from the headunit since I dont want messages popping up on the screen as i'm driving.

Galaxy s7edge BT Permissions Screen
Old 04-28-2016, 04:34 PM
2016 MDX Adv/SHAWD

Yeah I have the same phone, sw, and permissions and it doesn't work. Only last thing I can think of is if the contact is a google contact or maybe local on the phone? I also pull my pictures from "Sync.me" so it pulls fbook photos and puts them as contact photos. Not sure if that has anything to do with it but who knows.