buying 2014 MDX advanced, should I be worried about electrical issues?

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-2015, 09:09 AM
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Question buying 2014 MDX advanced, should I be worried about electrical issues?

So, newbie here with the Mdx, but I do work on most of my cars, and do repairs, so I'm not too concerned about mechanical issues/wear items.

I'm close to buying a 2014 MDX advance package, with 73k miles. (so no more factory warranty). Looking through the service records, I see it had the ACC cable reel issues (fixed under warranty) and CMBS updates and other error codes (needs the windshield clean). Nothing major, but seeing these, it made me think about how much tech is in the car, and I started to wonder if I need to purchase a warranty to cover the electronics. I desperately don't want to purchase a warranty, mostly because they are usually rip offs, overpriced, don't cover items when you needs it, etc. But, I thought i'd ask the community, and see what you guys think? I'm usually active in the forums of the cars I own, so if problems came up, i'd probably be reading here, or other MDX forums to see if others have had the issue already, to help me in diagnosing. I don't mind going to the dealer, and I actually have an awesome service rep at a local Honda dealer that I've been taking my Honda's to for over 10 years. He said they do work on Acura's but if it needs warranty work, i'd have to go to a Acura dealer (for the case by case goodwill warranty items)

So, hopefully, i'm just being overly cautious here, and you guys all tell me what I think I already know which is Acura's (generally) are reliable vehicles and I shouldn't be having tons of electrical issues in the years to come with this MDX.
Thanks.
First post, woot!
Old 12-24-2015, 12:19 PM
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
I would price out parts and labor to see how much they cost. Warranties are a catch 22 at times. I'll give you an example though, a friend of mine had a 2008 IS350 and his Nav module went out. The dealership wanted around $5000 parts/labor to replace it. The unit itself was around $2000, but it involved taking the dash apart to swap out the unit. If he had gotten the extended warranty it would have been so simple. Drop the car off at the dealership and ask when you can come pick it up. Instead we spend hrs on forums, watch you tubes and wasted a weekend tearing his car apart. At the end of the day he saved half the cost of what the dealer wanted. However I'm also at an age and situation in my life with work and family where my time is the most important. If you can find a good warranty that will cover the electronics along with other crucial systems with no drama for say $2000 or under it might be worth it, especially when you're buying a 1st year model. I work on my own cars when I can (I have a project supra that I've stripped down front to back many times) but with the cars these days that are loaded down with modern day electronics I personally bought the extended warranty on my 2016 Advanced.
Old 12-24-2015, 04:07 PM
Intermediate

yah, I had a similar experience with a 2007 Civic SI sedan Navi I bought new. First model year, and I decided to get the extended warranty. The unit after a few years, had a button that stopped working. Not really a big deal, and I could still use the unit, but since I had the warranty, I dropped it off at the deal, and $100 deductible later, I saved a $5000 bill for replacing it. easy. And i'm also at a place in life where my time is pretty valuable.
However, on the flip side, while it seems to be easy (and inexpensive) to get these extended warranties when the car is new, buying them on a car that already has 73K miles seemm expense. I'm still researching, but the dealer that I'm getting the car from showed me their options, and the lowest level that covers all the module/computers is $2612 for 1yr/12k miles, up to $4,688 for 4 yrs/48k miles. That's a bit ridiculous, but I guess they have to cover their expenses...

Thanks for the feedback.
Old 01-07-2016, 07:57 AM
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
I bought a 100K 8 Yrs No Deduct. Acura Care warranty for $1850. My car was purchased in MD but I bought the warranty from a different dealer in MA. The dealer that I purchased the car from wanted to charge me $2750.

According to the manager at my dealer, he couldn't believe the dealer in MA was only going to charge me $1850. He said they're only making a profit of $10 from the warranty sale. I told him, he would rather me buy warranty from someone else than from him. Considering I just bought a $50k car, you would think he would try to work with me, take the $10 profit and care about their new customers.

I can give you the number of the dealer in MA if you are interested.
Old 01-07-2016, 07:42 PM
Intermediate

Yah, it couldn't hurt to give them a call, but from what i've read, i don't qualify for Acura care anymore, because the car has more than 50k miles on it. Acura care would be the optimal option, if I can get it, but like I said, I don't think I can since the car has more than 50k miles on it.
Old 01-07-2016, 08:38 PM
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by vtloki
Yah, it couldn't hurt to give them a call, but from what i've read, i don't qualify for Acura care anymore, because the car has more than 50k miles on it. Acura care would be the optimal option, if I can get it, but like I said, I don't think I can since the car has more than 50k miles on it.
Sorry, my fault. I did see the mileage but kind of ignore that because it's a 2014. I still think it's worth a try?

I bought my warranty from Bob Leab at Hyannis Honda. Others on the TL forum have also purchased warranty from him. He might be able to find a way to get extended warranty after the 50k.
Old 01-07-2016, 11:18 PM
Racer

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
Electrical issues can occur on any and all cars.
Old 01-08-2016, 09:23 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by tman
Electrical issues can occur on any and all cars.
Yup, that's true. I guess i'm just being a bit paranoid, since this car has so much more tech than the older cars i'm used to, but I'm kinda a techie guy, and a computer programmer, so if anything goes wrong, i'll just find a solution, replace the parts, and/or hack my way through it.
Old 01-08-2016, 11:29 PM
Racer

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
A friend of mine owns 2 very late model Mercedes C class. Both had electrical issues. My friend has not learned. Wants to replace one of them with a new one.