Bad Battery = Transmission Acting Up?

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2020, 04:34 PM
Advanced

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Bad Battery = Transmission Acting Up?

As I have posted many times before the initial cold start transmission jerkiness in my 2018 Advance AWD always had me a bit annoyed though it was only for the first couple of miles before the tyranny warmed up.

Recently due to Covid non-use my battery totally died and Acura ended up replacing it with a new one, since then, the tranny is much better behaved even when cold (unless I just jinxed it lol) and many sources seem to suggest that a bad battery could be the cause of many issues in electronic transmissions like the ZF9. Now I want to add that I strongly suspect I got a bad battery from the get go but regular use likely masked any issues since my wife's A6 2013 is still going strong on original battery with the same amount of Covid use. My previous Murano took about 5.5 years for the battery to produce issues so this one dying in 2.1 years leads me to suspect it was faulty to begin with and may have contributed to/exacerbated the ZF9 cold jerkiness?

Both A6 and Murano batteries had seen upto 3 weeks of non use during travel.

Thoughts?
Old 08-03-2020, 10:33 AM
mrgold35

Received 1,519 Likes on 1,185 Posts
I could also be the reset of the ECU with the dead battery? Maybe the ECU learned some quirky habits from previous driving habits and it couldn't apply the same old algorithm as smoothly as your driving environment changed? Power reset or reload from scratch seems to fix 99% of computer issues now days.
The following users liked this post:
bmoua15 (08-03-2020)
Old 08-05-2020, 02:44 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 376 Likes on 255 Posts
Lightbulb

Originally Posted by undertaker2k8
As I have posted many times before the initial cold start transmission jerkiness in my 2018 Advance AWD always had me a bit annoyed though it was only for the first couple of miles before the tyranny warmed up.

Recently due to Covid non-use my battery totally died and Acura ended up replacing it with a new one, since then, the tranny is much better behaved even when cold (unless I just jinxed it lol) and many sources seem to suggest that a bad battery could be the cause of many issues in electronic transmissions like the ZF9. Now I want to add that I strongly suspect I got a bad battery from the get go but regular use likely masked any issues since my wife's A6 2013 is still going strong on original battery with the same amount of Covid use. My previous Murano took about 5.5 years for the battery to produce issues so this one dying in 2.1 years leads me to suspect it was faulty to begin with and may have contributed to/exacerbated the ZF9 cold jerkiness?

Both A6 and Murano batteries had seen upto 3 weeks of non use during travel.

Thoughts?
On my (similar) 2014-MDX Tech/SH-AWD, in 2016 the dealer replaced the battery (under warranty) because
- the computer threw a bunch of error codes on a trip.
- soon after , the MDX threw a Diag code about battery power system malfunction.

The new battery (and dealer-made firmware updates ) fixed it for life. If you have Advance, that is even more electronic-tech than ours, so I suggest a really powerful and high-quality battery (maybe even better than the one they give you). Even nice 12v car-batteries are relatively cheap.

Be sure dealer is checking for firmware updates while hooked-up to their diagnostics computer. Over the years, I know that Power-Steering and Transmission firmware were updated to resolve minor issues. On the transmission's Service Bulletin, it said to also service transmission (fluid etc.) . IIRC, dealer recommended we have it changed more often because fluid was getting dirty after only a year or so. Also, be sure transfer-case and diffs are getting their required scheduled attention.

We never had a serious problem with MDX. Really only paid for maintenance once-a-year for 6 years ($100-$200 each summer).

And if you have NAV , be sure to buy and load the DVD-ROM each year. Not only maps but it also updates the software/firmware (so even things like Voice Recognition or anything TouchScreen controlled ) might work better.

The following 3 users liked this post by Tesla1856:
moose66 (08-05-2020), mrgold35 (08-05-2020), Thomas Aquinas (11-19-2020)
Old 08-09-2020, 03:04 PM
Advanced

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Turns out I jinxed it , bad to shitty behavior when cold. Must be the ECU reset. Will pound them again when I got the 14-025 chirp TSB..has anyone with the 18 actually experienced this issue , just want to be pro-active here.