ACURA MDX 2015 Suspension Noise

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2016, 05:06 PM
Racer

Received 56 Likes on 55 Posts
Originally Posted by Calico5888
I just returned from having the work authorized in service bulletin 16035 completed. Rear shock noise is completely gone and the car sounds like a $50,000 Acura should! I'm not an engineer but was told the shock was replaced as the original ones were creating the noise. Not the most specific explanation but it worked so I didn't press it. For those of you still struggling with this just take the bulletin # with you and the rest should be easy. Good luck.
So, I haven't had any rattles and anything i'd classify as a clunk, but the rear does sound rather hollow to me and i've just kind of accepted it as part of the rear chassis not having sufficient sound proofing. With this TSB fix, is the rear more or less silent now?
Old 08-15-2016, 05:17 PM
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by neoshi
So, I haven't had any rattles and anything i'd classify as a clunk, but the rear does sound rather hollow to me and i've just kind of accepted it as part of the rear chassis not having sufficient sound proofing. With this TSB fix, is the rear more or less silent now?

Yes, very solid sounding and not that hollow "boom" that came from the rear compartment before. Drove me nuts and I had planned to trade because of it. Sounds like a high end suv should now. Very happy!
Old 08-15-2016, 05:36 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by Calico5888
Yes, very solid sounding and not that hollow "boom" that came from the rear compartment before. Drove me nuts and I had planned to trade because of it. Sounds like a high end suv should now. Very happy!
Hmm ok. I will have to try and reproduce this hollow sound to my dealer then. They don't just see the TSB and do the work. They always require me to drive with a tech.
Old 08-15-2016, 05:49 PM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by neoshi
Hmm ok. I will have to try and reproduce this hollow sound to my dealer then. They don't just see the TSB and do the work. They always require me to drive with a tech.
dont know why they would care.....they get paid to do he work. My dealer knew about the problem as it existed on all 2014-2016 MDX's and he had other complaints. Find a street with plenty of potholes before you test drive.....the tech should be able to hear it. As a last resort you might try a different dealer if that's an option.
Old 08-17-2016, 12:42 PM
Cruisin'

Just returned from a 50 mile drive that took us across a wide variety of roads and streets. Back roads that were graveled and rough, small town city streets that were full of pot holes and patches and a secondary highway with open concrete joints and numerous patched areas. That drive would have been unbearable (for me at least) prior to the recent fix Acura provided for my 2015 MDX's rear suspension. It's riding and sounding like a new premium suv now. I don't understand why it took Acura so long to deal with the problem but the new springs they now provide are great. Very happy!
Old 08-18-2016, 10:13 PM
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I will be taking my 2014 MDX in for the thumping rear end problem soon.I hope this works.It has been a pain for 2 years.I will report back on whether it is successful or not.Best wishes to all of you in getting this repaired.
Old 08-19-2016, 02:17 AM
Racer

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
Originally Posted by funtogo
I will be taking my 2014 MDX in for the thumping rear end problem soon.I hope this works.It has been a pain for 2 years.I will report back on whether it is successful or not.Best wishes to all of you in getting this repaired.
Let us know if they take your word for it and perform the TSB, or if the Tech has to confirm the issue. Thump to you is not a thump to them. If the Tech says its normal, then that is the bummer.
Old 08-19-2016, 05:44 AM
Intermediate

I live 120 miles from dealer,so I called the service mgr. to ask for the TSB before I came and he ordered the parts for me.Thanks to him for that.Will let you know if it works..
Old 08-31-2016, 01:41 PM
Intermediate

Keeping my fingers crossed.I'm going in to have the rear thump issue repaired tomorrow.I will report back on the results.
Old 08-31-2016, 02:21 PM
Racer

Received 23 Likes on 22 Posts
Keeping my fingers crossed.I'm going in to have the rear thump issue repaired tomorrow.I will report back on the results.
my 2014 advance finished the TSB today, i'll pick up the car later on tonight.
i have the 2016 SH-AWD tech as loaner, not as loud as my 2014 but still there.

anyone notice the 2016 drive more loose than 2014? maybe my 2014 is advance is more solid?
Old 09-03-2016, 09:21 AM
Intermediate

Well,I have my MDX back after taking it in for Bulletin 16-035 rear suspension thump issue.I have just driven it for a short test drive,but I can definitely tell that the loose feeling clunk over potholes and such is not there anymore like it was before.The ride is more solid and a definite improvement.If you have this problem,I now believe there is a fix for it.Hope this information helps to get the word out.I will try to report on down the road on whether it continues to keep working..
Old 09-03-2016, 10:03 AM
Cruisin'

Well,I have my MDX back after taking it in for Bulletin 16-035 rear suspension thump issue.I have just driven it for a short test drive,but I can definitely tell that the loose feeling clunk over potholes and such is not there anymore like it was before.The ride is more solid and a definite improvement.If you have this problem,I now believe there is a fix for it.Hope this information helps to get the word out.I will try to report on down the road on whether it continues to keep working..
Glad it worked. I smile each time I drive mine now.......and I was within an eyelash of trading it before.
Old 09-13-2016, 06:29 AM
Safety Car

Received 1,400 Likes on 704 Posts
Cars.com

https://www.cars.com/articles/2014-2016-acura-mdx-suspension-issue-1420690230335/

2014-2016 Acura MDX Suspension Issue
By Tom Torbjornsen

September 13, 2016

2016 Acura MDX;

Cars.com photo by Evan Sears

CARS.COMThe problem: Drivers may hear a rattle or clunk coming from the rear due to faulty rear-suspension dampers or rear upper damper mount bushings.

Vehicles affected by service bulletin:
  • 2014 Acura MDX
  • 2015 Acura MDX
  • 2016 Acura MDX
See More Service Bulletins

Corrective action: Dealers will replace both the rear suspension dampers and rear upper damper mount bushings.

Warranty info: This service is being performed free of charge under a special service campaign.

What owners should do: Call your local dealer with your vehicle's identification number to determine if it's involved in this service bulletin. You can also call Acura at 800-382-2238 or the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration at 888-327-4236. Reference TSB No. 16-035.

Need to find a dealer for service? Go to Cars.com Service & Repair to find a local dealer.

Editor's note: This is only 1 of dozens of service bulletins issued each month by automakers. Please check your automaker's website to see if your vehicle has any service bulletins pending.

Read more at https://www.cars.com/articles/2014-2...02ilwJBolK7.99

Last edited by TSX69; 09-13-2016 at 06:31 AM.
Old 09-29-2016, 09:57 AM
4th Gear

Took my '15 MDX for the TSB yesterday. It was clear that they hadn't heard about it. I showed them the pages I had printed out from the link above. They have ordered the parts and and are working on it. Will keep you guys updated once I get the car back.
Old 09-30-2016, 11:33 AM
Cruisin'

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Scheduled my appointment to get this TSB done on our '16 MDX (along with a couple other minor issues). They had to push the appointment out more 2 weeks because of the Takata airbag recalls. Par for the course with Acura thus far. I'll report back after it's done.
Old 10-07-2016, 09:23 AM
4th Gear

Talking

A week after getting the TSB, I am happy to report that the noise is fixed! In addition, the overall ride quality has improved as well. Totally worth the time and hassle.
Old 10-11-2016, 09:15 AM
Instructor

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally Posted by RedKloud
A week after getting the TSB, I am happy to report that the noise is fixed! In addition, the overall ride quality has improved as well. Totally worth the time and hassle.
Good for you! I went to the dealer yesterday for the oil change service and had this suspension noise checked. I drove with the tech, and I went through dips, potholes and bumps to demonstrate the noise. He acknowledged he heard the noise but continually dismissed them as normal. It was unbelievable. I guess Acura techs are now used to having Acura models having these kind of suspension noise and think that they are normal. So while waiting for my MDX, a sales rep approached me to test drive the 2017 MDX. I know that there is no change in the suspension for the 2014 to 2017 models. So if the 2017 MDX would exhibit the same low frequency and clunking noise over rough patches, dips and bumps, then probably the MDX suspension design is really shitty. But I was surprised that the 2017 was very smooth over those rough patches. And when I went over a dip, there was no clunk. It was like my MDX when it was new. You would only hear the normal thumping noise when going over a pothole or lane dividers, nothing excessive and loud. My MDX sounds like a plumber's van going over bumps.

For the life of me, how would other dealers risk of getting bad reviews from customers on an issue where there is a TSB for it. Some dealers would kill to get great reviews from customers. I even pointed out the TSB to them and they are aware of it. Acura will pay them for the fix and it is work that makes them busy. Maybe the techs are being lazy, I don't know. I sent an email to the service manager to state my displeasure. How can you make a case for it when 2 of their techs dismissed the issue as normal? They scheduled me to leave my car there on Monday to have an extended time to diagnose the issue. In my experience, that extended time with the dealer doesn't really do anything. Just the normal BS when you pick up your car.
Old 10-12-2016, 05:59 PM
Racer

Went to dealer today for A/C bolt recall and suspension noise. Tech did a ride along, nothing but smooth roads, so unable to duplicate. Last resort, is the Service mgr will drive it and see what happens. They will not perform tsb, unless it can be replicated. As I mentioned before, its all subjective as to what is Normal. In some respects, I understand what they are saying.
Old 10-13-2016, 11:57 AM
Instructor

The frustrating part is the tech says it's normal because all other 2014 to 2016 has the same design flaw in the suspension. Yes, it would sound normal because most of it have the same issue. Some techs are not even aware of the TSB and the clunking issue with the RLX and MDX. Acura even posted a video of the clunking issue for the RLX in the Acura owners website. For the owners, it's really frustrating knowing that there is a fix for your concern but the tech keeps on dismissing the clunk as normal. I don't think owners of these type of vehicles would waste their time going to the dealership if they don't see any issues with their car.
Old 10-13-2016, 12:39 PM
Racer

Yes very frustrating. The tech that rode with me looked at work order and asked, "Why is there a TSB number on here". Service writer told him the customer put that down. It would have been better if the TSB would say repair is for customer satisfaction. Although, it is not mentioned in the TSB for the tech to verify the noise. It just goes to Repair procedure.
Old 10-13-2016, 01:16 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by tman
Yes very frustrating. The tech that rode with me looked at work order and asked, "Why is there a TSB number on here". Service writer told him the customer put that down. It would have been better if the TSB would say repair is for customer satisfaction. Although, it is not mentioned in the TSB for the tech to verify the noise. It just goes to Repair procedure.

I agree, I think most TSB should have that "for customer satisfaction" words in there. It is really for customers' satisfaction, for those who complained anyway. And not all owners are going to come in and will request to get the all the TSBs applied.

So after visiting 2 dealers to have this TSB applied, and both techs said they didn't hear anything unusual or excessive clunks, I went to another dealer close to my work for the first time. I was hesitant to go there due to the reviews, but I really wanted this issue get fixed. A tech rode with me and confirmed that he heard unusual clunks over bumps. He also told me to go to this street where there's alot of bumps and potholes. He thinks it's also a bit excessive for this kind of vehicle. And luckily, I did not have to schedule to go back there to leave my car and get a loaner. The service advisor was able to get me a loaner and I left the car there yesterday. I mentioned to the tech that there is a TSB that may fix the issue, but I did not push it. He said he's aware of that TSB. He's going to test drive it again to pinpoint the noise. It was a pleasant experience from a dealer I didn't consider the first time.

Seriously, without these forums, a lot of owners had probably traded their Acuras already. It's a big source of info for the owners.
Old 10-13-2016, 04:17 PM
Racer

Just got my car back. Service mgr took my car home and back to work. Did not hear anything unusual. So that is where Im at. Think I will leave it as is.
Old 10-14-2016, 08:40 AM
2014 RDX AWD Tech

Received 354 Likes on 325 Posts
Is this suspension noise TSB same as that for RDX? Last month I took my RDX to dealer for suspension noise. They didn't even test ride with me. They said that they have their own testing area and eventually changed the shocks while I was waiting. Now it rides like new. I'm so disappointed to hear similar complaints from MDX owners, was looking to upgrade to an MDX at some point .
Old 10-14-2016, 09:15 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by tman
Just got my car back. Service mgr took my car home and back to work. Did not hear anything unusual. So that is where Im at. Think I will leave it as is.
That's a bummer... The problem is they are used to hearing that noise and they think it's normal. I'm not sure of the severity of your clunks, but when I test drove the 2017 MDX, it was night and day difference. I believe that all 3rd gen MDXs use the same suspension. The 2017 was really quiet and it was very composed going over bumps and dips. I got my MDX back yesterday afternoon and I noticed that the ride improved, I'm not sure why but it felt tighter especially going over bumps. I can still hear the usual noise going over rough roads but the sound is solid, it's not a Lexus so I'm ok with it, that I consider normal for an MDX with a bit stiffer suspension. Overall, I'm satisfied now. It drives like the price that I paid for. And the dealer was very quick, I got the car back the next day after lunch.

If you can, try visiting other dealers. Hopefully, you'll get yours fixed soon.
Old 10-14-2016, 09:26 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by Comfy
Is this suspension noise TSB same as that for RDX? Last month I took my RDX to dealer for suspension noise. They didn't even test ride with me. They said that they have their own testing area and eventually changed the shocks while I was waiting. Now it rides like new. I'm so disappointed to hear similar complaints from MDX owners, was looking to upgrade to an MDX at some point .
There's a TSB for the same issue for the RDX? My wife has the 2015 RDX. And I noticed it to be noisy too but not as bad as my MDX before. When my MDX was in the dealer for the TSB, they gave me a 2016 RDX loaner. It drove the same as my wife's 2015. Were you hearing clunks on your RDX before? I really don't hear clunking in my wife's RDX when going over dips and bumps. Do you have the TSB link for the RDX fix? My wife doesn't complain a lot about cars. It's up to me if I take action or not. But for now, our RDX rides just fine and would consider normal, hopefully.

If you're going to upgrade to an MDX, go with the 2017. I think all 2017 don't have the damaged rear suspension/dampers and the 9 speed is really smooth, unlike the 2015 TLX V6 I drove as a loaner. Plus, the paddings (especially on the door armrests) are well padded compared to my 2014 and 2015. I think the 2017 is pretty much sorted out. Although, we still don't know how reliable the ZF9 transmission is.
Old 10-21-2016, 10:37 PM
2014 RDX AWD Tech

Received 354 Likes on 325 Posts
Here are some of the links for the RDX suspension noise TSB
TSB 16-059 - Pop or Clunk from the Rear Suspension in Cold Weather Applies To: 2013-16 RDX - ALL - ALL 2017 RDX - All 2WD - From VIN 5J8TB3...HL000001 thru 5J8TB3...HL009835 2017 RDX - All 4WD - From VIN 5J8TB4...HL000001 thru 5J8TB4...HL015307 http://www.urvi.net/forumfiles/SB/B16-059.PDF http://techinfo.honda.com/Rjanisis/p...nu/B16-059.PDF
This was the thread I created when my car showed suspension noise. As you mentioned it was also episodic. https://acurazine.com/forums/second-...-noise-946143/
In case the previous links didn't work. Here's the thread about all TSBs for RDX. This one is for the 2016 onwards updated RDX. It June's affect all 13-15 cars as well. https://acurazine.com/forums/second-...letins-928631/

Last edited by Comfy; 10-21-2016 at 10:45 PM.
Old 11-15-2016, 11:02 AM
Big up ya self, BO!

Wow, seeing several people being turned down by their dealerships makes me feel lucky. I took my 15' MDX for service, and inquired about the TSB. They called me later in the day, and told me they couldn't hear any noise in the suspension, but nonetheless agreed to perform the TSB. I definitely notice a difference in the quietness of the new suspension, but the ride quality still feels about the same. I'm glad Pohanka Acura agreed to make the change, and I hope those that are getting turned down get a chance to get the TSB done elsewhere, or fight their dealership to finally agree to perform it. I had to wait four days for the parts to come in, but in the end, it was worth it.
Old 11-16-2019, 11:54 AM
3rd Gear

I'm happy to hear that they issued TSB 16-035 for the rear. Like some others posted I am hearing noise from my front suspension when going over speedbumps or potholes, has anything been issued for the front suspension? Also my 2015 tech is out of warranty, I assume a TSB done by a dealer would be free of charge? thanks
Old 11-16-2019, 02:04 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by kevdog67
I'm happy to hear that they issued TSB 16-035 for the rear. Like some others posted I am hearing noise from my front suspension when going over speedbumps or potholes, has anything been issued for the front suspension? Also my 2015 tech is out of warranty, I assume a TSB done by a dealer would be free of charge? thanks
No, tsbs (that are not recalls) are not free out of warranty. For the fronts, there is only a tsb regarding the rubber spring seats popping out. There was one for the engine bay covers causing tapping noises though. Check ee4life's tsb threads for all applicable tsbs by model year.
Old 11-16-2019, 07:17 PM
6G TLX-S

Received 1,152 Likes on 823 Posts
^^^^^

Agree that TSB's are not free, out of warranty.

But at least Acura has found a fix to cure its problem, rather than having owners to live with the annoying noise all the time.
Old 11-27-2019, 10:28 AM
3rd Gear

Ok so my 2015 MDX is out of warranty so it wouldn't be covered for TSB's. So if I were to ask my local mechanic to check for possible suspension noise issues is there anything other than the following I should bring up?

1. Check overall suspension torque and condition of parts
2. Check tension on emergency brake cable
3. Check condition of rear suspension bushings?

Anything else I should ask him? thanks