2020 4th gen MDX,, What will it be like or want!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2019, 08:26 PM
Racer

Received 37 Likes on 36 Posts
Originally Posted by MrJames
The accessory installation instructions for the 2020 TLX got posted in the TLX section. Parts and pictures show it looks to be the same as the current model. TLX and MDX are in need of a refresh and it looks like we'll get neither for 2020. Must not be ready for prime time or some production delays. Curious what they show in New York in 5 weeks. Email says no changes to Acura models but I wonder if they plan on expanding the line up. Maybe a Type-S or hybrid RDX?
I would speculate type s on current gen is most likely rather than next gen of either tlx or mdx
Old 03-29-2019, 11:11 PM
Racer

2020 TLX arrives in April with new colors but no redesign. I predict the 2020 MDX will also not be a redesign.

https://acuranews.com/acura-automobi...premium-colors
Old 03-30-2019, 10:13 AM
Instructor

Received 70 Likes on 46 Posts
The only change on the TLX is the $400 premium paint that Acura added to the RDX/MDX. MSRP is the same so being this early for a rollover year tells us that the new TLX should be coming early next year.

The NY press conference for Acura is on 4/17. If they plan on announcing a new MDX, I would expect some kind of teaser in the weeks before like they did with the RDX. We should know in less than 3 weeks whether it's coming this year. Also, if EE4Life starts posting 2020 MDX guides and manuals identical to the 2019, that will tell us everything we need to know.
Old 03-30-2019, 10:33 AM
Racer

Redesign TLX and MDX are likely for next year (2021 MY), likely going on sale in May/June. The 3rd gen MDX and 2019 redesign RDX were first teased in December, with the production ready model introduced in January, and hitting dealerships for sale in June. No way they launch a redesign 4th gen MDX this June /July when it's already April and they haven't shown anything resembling a production ready redesign yet. Plus they've had their share of issues with the redesigned RDX they've been working on, not to mention their new infotainment system is still waiting on Google to fix Android Auto for use with their touchpad (coming up on a year later and still nothing)
Old 03-30-2019, 01:49 PM
Instructor

Yeah, makes sense. I'm just putting off my decision on what to buy until I'm sure. With a MDX roll over to 2020 then I wonder if Acura will have no changes like with the TLX. The MDX has been surpassed by the RDX in sales but is still a part of their bread and butter. Maybe they can throw in a HUD from the RLX or the wireless charger from the TLX. Otherwise, might as well grab a 2019 with the incoming fire sale.

RDX issues seem to be mostly software related but Acura needs to get their shit together and get them minimized. More recent reviews are starting to point them out. Android Auto is like big foot for RDX owners at this point.
The following users liked this post:
37tzee (04-03-2019)
Old 03-31-2019, 10:34 PM
Racer

Yeah, makes sense. I'm just putting off my decision on what to buy until I'm sure. With a MDX roll over to 2020 then I wonder if Acura will have no changes like with the TLX. The MDX has been surpassed by the RDX in sales but is still a part of their bread and butter. Maybe they can throw in a HUD from the RLX or the wireless charger from the TLX. Otherwise, might as well grab a 2019 with the incoming fire sale.

RDX issues seem to be mostly software related but Acura needs to get their shit together and get them minimized. More recent reviews are starting to point them out. Android Auto is like big foot for RDX owners at this point.
I doubt much of anything changes with the 2020 MDX, especially if redesign is due next year. If not changing they should announce 2020 mdx in a few months (June probably)
Old 04-09-2019, 05:46 PM
Car Crazy for Sure!

Received 432 Likes on 299 Posts
Smile All new 2020...??

The "word is"....the 2020 model will be redesigned and they will add a Type S version. The TLX will get a Type S.....all models getting the Type S version will have a turbo engine. Just what engine the MDX will have is a question but,
again...the "word is" it will be a V6. Maybe a version of the NSX turbo 6 for the Type S. I bought my '19 Advance since I wasn't sure what the 2020 would be like and we love our '19 so no issues there.

There are photos captured of an MDX...apparently.....with extensive camo so it's very difficult to tell what the body changes are. It had twin exhaust outlets on each side...but, that can be just a "teaser".....they could end up with possibly a
larger sized outlet similar to the shape of the current ones. Honda Motor Corp is always SOOO secretive about holding info on new models away from everyone...including the dealers. My GM knew a "little" about what's coming. Again,
enough to help make my decision to buy my '19 and then maybe I see a 2021 as a possible. Depends, of course, on what they do next.

The anticipation is always nervous time....each time they are bringing out something new...just like the RDX.
Old 04-09-2019, 06:00 PM
There are four lights!

Received 215 Likes on 124 Posts
I doubt they will use the engine from the NSX as the layout is longitudinal, and the rest of the Acura line up is transverse. And I don't really see Acura going RWD either (would be awesome if they did though). The 3.0T engine will be unique to the Type-S and won't have any commonality with the NSX 3.5TT engine.

Edit: If the 3.0T is going to be unique to the Type-S models, Acura will still need another engine to slot between the 2.0T and 3.0T. I suppose Acura could use the 2.0T on the regular MDX models. Subaru does it with the Ascent, and Audi does it with the Q7. I think I rather see the J35 V6 mated with a 48V mild hybrid. That would slot nicely between the 2.0T and 3.0T.

Last edited by ZipSpeed; 04-09-2019 at 06:14 PM.
Old 04-09-2019, 07:08 PM
Instructor

This is how I remember the RDX roll out:

- Teaser image in December
- Prototype in February
- Some spy shots after the prototype reveal
- Production model in April
- On sale at dealer lots in June

The TLX just got announced for 2020 and is now hitting dealer lots. Unusual for a carry over year to release so early which leads to the expectation that a redesigned model is coming in early 2020 as a 2021MY.

It's April and we've got nothing to show for a redesigned MDX besides a few spy shots. While most of the vehicle is covered in camo bags, the most telling part of those shots to me is the moon roof. A new MDX will almost certainly have a panoramic roof. That would require a new redesigned chassis. The spy shots we've seen look like the same moon roof as on the current gen model. It's the new V6 turbo in a current gen MDX chassis. So what's being tested does not appear to be coming out anytime soon. I don't think the new engine has even started production yet. Could be a Type-S exclusive mule for 2021MY.

My dealer thinks a new MDX is happening this year but doesn't know when. We're a week away from the press conference in NY and nothing has been leaked or teased. I don't see it happening unless they announce a redesigned model with the same power train as the current gen 3.5 V6 and ZF9 transmission. Wouldn't be a bad thing considering they seem to have gotten all the issues worked out and would address the aging interior. Would also cut down on development cost and time. At this point a carry over for 2020MY with little to no change seems most likely though.
Old 04-09-2019, 08:21 PM
There are four lights!

This is how I remember the RDX roll out:

- Teaser image in December
- Prototype in February
- Some spy shots after the prototype reveal
- Production model in April
- On sale at dealer lots in June

The TLX just got announced for 2020 and is now hitting dealer lots. Unusual for a carry over year to release so early which leads to the expectation that a redesigned model is coming in early 2020 as a 2021MY.

It's April and we've got nothing to show for a redesigned MDX besides a few spy shots. While most of the vehicle is covered in camo bags, the most telling part of those shots to me is the moon roof. A new MDX will almost certainly have a panoramic roof. That would require a new redesigned chassis. The spy shots we've seen look like the same moon roof as on the current gen model. It's the new V6 turbo in a current gen MDX chassis. So what's being tested does not appear to be coming out anytime soon. I don't think the new engine has even started production yet. Could be a Type-S exclusive mule for 2021MY.

My dealer thinks a new MDX is happening this year but doesn't know when. We're a week away from the press conference in NY and nothing has been leaked or teased. I don't see it happening unless they announce a redesigned model with the same power train as the current gen 3.5 V6 and ZF9 transmission. Wouldn't be a bad thing considering they seem to have gotten all the issues worked out and would address the aging interior. Would also cut down on development cost and time. At this point a carry over for 2020MY with little to no change seems most likely though.
If Acura is using the J35 V6 again, they better pair it with the 10AT. I’m not buying another vehicle with a ZF9.
Old 04-09-2019, 08:54 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by ZipSpeed
If Acura is using the J35 V6 again, they better pair it with the 10AT. I’m not buying another vehicle with a ZF9.
I haven't read any complaints about the 2019 ZF9 after all the updates they made to it. I wouldn't mind if they carried over the sport hybrid power train with the 7-speed DCT either.
Old 04-09-2019, 09:02 PM
There are four lights!

I haven't read any complaints about the 2019 ZF9 after all the updates they made to it. I wouldn't mind if they carried over the sport hybrid power train with the 7-speed DCT either.
The ZF9 in my TLX “works”. But it’s sluggish and because of the dog clutches, no amount of software updates is going to solve the inherent behavior of the tranny. After having test driven the RDX with the 10AT, I won’t buy another Acura without it. The 7DCT would be an okay alternative.

Last edited by ZipSpeed; 04-09-2019 at 09:05 PM.
Old 04-10-2019, 10:09 AM
mrgold35

Received 1,520 Likes on 1,186 Posts
I've had a few 3rd Gen RDX loaners in fwd and sh-awd and the 10AT works very well with the 2.0T engine. Much more immediate response to throttle inputs compared to my 08 RDX and way more TQ starting at lower RPMs compared to my 3.7L 11 MDX. Seems like the delay with downshifting works in the same amount of time it takes to spool up the turbo to feel like it is seamless application of smooth power delivery. The 10AT would probably be the perfect match if Acura goes with the 3.0T in the all new MDX. Don't know if the 10AT works as well in NA engines compared to the 2.0T of the RDX?

The 7DCT works so perfectly with the hybrid powertrain. You don't feel the shifts, always in the right gear at any speed, less paddle downshifting to get into the power, and you don't notice the stop/stop or EV mode system when it is working other than rpms dropping to zero.
Old 04-10-2019, 10:26 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by mrgold35
I've had a few 3rd Gen RDX loaners in fwd and sh-awd and the 10AT works very well with the 2.0T engine. Much more immediate response to throttle inputs compared to my 08 RDX and way more TQ starting at lower RPMs compared to my 3.7L 11 MDX. Seems like the delay with downshifting works in the same amount of time it takes to spool up the turbo to feel like it is seamless application of smooth power delivery. The 10AT would probably be the perfect match if Acura goes with the 3.0T in the all new MDX. Don't know if the 10AT works as well in NA engines compared to the 2.0T of the RDX?

The 7DCT works so perfectly with the hybrid powertrain. You don't feel the shifts, always in the right gear at any speed, less paddle downshifting to get into the power, and you don't notice the stop/stop or EV mode system when it is working other than rpms dropping to zero.
Only word of caution would be the 3rd gen RDX forums there are plenty of people who are complaining about the 10AT in the new RDX, similar complaints about rough shifting and off timing as the complaints about the ZF9. Although by the time they got to the 4th gen MDX hopefully they'd have those figured out by then.
Old 04-10-2019, 10:37 AM
mrgold35

Originally Posted by bobby2478
Only word of caution would be the 3rd gen RDX forums there are plenty of people who are complaining about the 10AT in the new RDX, similar complaints about rough shifting and off timing as the complaints about the ZF9. Although by the time they got to the 4th gen MDX hopefully they'd have those figured out by then.
I kept the RDX in either sport or sport+ mode and pretty much hammer it with acceleration and on the curves. Never tried in comfort or normal modes. My current 08 RDX feels and drives way better the harder you push her. I imagine the 3rd Gen RDX might not be all things to all people since it is a one size fits most. Probably this will be the same issue with the 4th Gen MDX. Acura really needs an option for luxury version (comfort/normal/sport) and a sport version (normal/sport/sport+) versions.

Last edited by mrgold35; 04-10-2019 at 10:39 AM.
Old 04-10-2019, 10:51 AM
Racer

I kept the RDX in either sport or sport+ mode and pretty much hammer it with acceleration and on the curves. Never tried in comfort or normal modes. My current 08 RDX feels and drives way better the harder you push her. I imagine the 3rd Gen RDX might not be all things to all people since it is a one size fits most. Probably this will be the same issue with the 4th Gen MDX. Acura really needs an option for luxury version (comfort/normal/sport) and a sport version (normal/sport/sport+) versions.
I agree, in general you can never make 100% of people happy 100% of the time and no matter what people will complain about things. Hard to tell if the complaints about the 10AT in the new RDX are just people being "fussy" or if there are legitimate concerns.
Old 04-10-2019, 11:12 AM
Instructor

The main thing I noticed with the 10AT is in normal and comfort mode, it's constantly shifting. Sport mode works best to hold a gear for a moment.
Old 04-10-2019, 11:24 AM
There are four lights!

The only application of the 10AT and NA engine that I know of so far, is the RLX FWD and Odyssey. Haven't read too much with complaints and seems to work well enough.
Old 04-10-2019, 12:02 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by ZipSpeed
The only application of the 10AT and NA engine that I know of so far, is the RLX FWD and Odyssey. Haven't read too much with complaints and seems to work well enough.
Love your avatar/profile pic by the way lol
ZipSpeed (04-10-2019)
Old 04-13-2019, 06:04 AM
AZ Community Team

Received 1,597 Likes on 961 Posts
Honestly Acura is maximizing ok TLX and MDX.

Both models will be fully refreshed next year. This year Acura is fooling us with PMC lol
Old 04-13-2019, 03:17 PM
Drifting

Received 117 Likes on 99 Posts
I was worried about the tranny on my 19 MDX, but I find it works well. No complaints here.
Old 04-13-2019, 07:35 PM
10th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by BLEXV6
I was worried about the tranny on my 19 MDX, but I find it works well. No complaints here.
Agree - Our 19 MDX shifts really well, much better then our 15 Caddy SRX.
Old 04-15-2019, 12:55 AM
Car Crazy for Sure!

Received 432 Likes on 299 Posts
Smile Trans is fine for '19.

Originally Posted by 86LXJunker
Agree - Our 19 MDX shifts really well, much better then our 15 Caddy SRX.
I agree too. My '19 tranny is just fine. The upgrade made was to smooth out the 1st to 2nd shift....and it's great. No issues. Quick off the line when you want it to....and smooth if driving.."normal!" LOL!

My GM has info on the next MDX and TLX. I was shocked since there will not be "new" models of either for 2020. Just cosmetic stuff like the PMC Edition just announced for the TLX. MDX will get that too. NOT worth it to me!
Old 04-16-2019, 05:24 PM
Drifting

I will say one thing, the RDX is a great improvement, although I do not like the I4 Turbo. I would expect the new MDX will be a knock-out based on the new RDX. I hope they retain the V6.
Gen4MDX (04-16-2019)
Old 05-25-2019, 02:22 PM
Instructor

Well, here's the 2020 MDX. Same as the 2019...

Video is from the Acura YouTube site so it should coming out soon. I'm surprised we haven't gotten any 2020 guides/manuals posted yet by EE4Life.
Old 05-25-2019, 08:26 PM
Drifting

Well, here's the 2020 MDX. Same as the 2019...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H2IfJwo6tiY

Video is from the Acura YouTube site so it should coming out soon. I'm surprised we haven't gotten any 2020 guides/manuals posted yet by EE4Life.
Yep
Old 06-05-2019, 11:40 PM
Instructor

Received 175 Likes on 89 Posts
Is the next gen MDX coming out at pebble beach with their new sport sedan or is it coming out next year at Detroit
Old 07-08-2019, 10:09 PM
AZ Community Team

2021 model: https://www.motor1.com/news/358752/a...-type-s-spied/
Curious3GTL (07-09-2019)
Old 07-09-2019, 06:56 AM
mrgold35

Nice find!

I like the quad exhaust. Really hate seeing the exhaust and suspension parts from the rear. Hopefully the exposed rear end is because of a missing bumper. Looks like a Pano sunroof also. My SWAG is a 1st year 4th Gen MDX will be as reliable as the 3rd Gen 2021 RDX since they will share so many parts.
Old 07-09-2019, 07:51 AM
AZ Community Team

Nice find!

I like the quad exhaust. Really hate seeing the exhaust and suspension parts from the rear. Hopefully the exposed rear end is because of a missing bumper. Looks like a Pano sunroof also. My SWAG is a 1st year 4th Gen MDX will be as reliable as the 3rd Gen 2021 RDX since they will share so many parts.
This is far from the production version. Of course, the back is unfinished. It won't looked like this

But It seems bigger, huge screen and pano. Quad exhausts
Old 07-10-2019, 02:56 PM
Intermediate

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
I hope this is all new MDX and not just the Type-S of the current generation. The wheelbase looks longer and the rear overhang looks much longer than the current MDX.
Old 07-10-2019, 03:06 PM
Intermediate

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts
Everyone,

https://acuraconnected.com/2019/07/0...e-s-prototype/
Old 07-10-2019, 03:07 PM
Intermediate

More pictures here. https://www.motor1.com/news/358752/a...-type-s-spied/
Old 07-11-2019, 07:17 AM
Intermediate

i was on the RDX Forum and rdx.god provided the following listed below for the 2020 TLX and MDX.
https://acurazine.com/forums/third-g...ui-apk-980889/