2017 MDX gas door not flush

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2017, 12:54 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 265 Likes on 207 Posts
Originally Posted by jbawden
Some service writers should be on the sales lot because they are really creative at selling, or 'unselling' as it were. They are expert at turning customers away from work they don't want to bother with or that isn't profitable enough. Dealer service is a profit center that probably adds more to the bottom line than the sales department at some of the dealers that deeply discount vehicles and then try to sell prepaid service contracts.
The real sad part is the stealership gets corporate funds when they do warranty work. So it isn't as if they are working for free. I haven't looked, but I am sort of surprised they haven't issued a bulletin for this issue as it seems to be a common thing. This is something I'll certainly keep my eyes on once the '18 hybrids show up.
Old 12-20-2017, 08:13 PM
Drive fast & swerve

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by TSX69

Went in for some routine maintenance and was told that the MDX fuel door is supposed to stick out that much to prevent whistling.

On the 1 hand, I find it odd that the MDX is the only model that it sticks out. However, it sticks out on all the MDXs so maybe it is true?

Either way, they said that the only way to make it more flush was to bend the door so we passed ...

We were told the same thing when we bought my wife’s a few weeks ago. Seems like an odd explanation but every MDX on the lot had the same issue so we accepted it. I don’t think bending the door would be difficult. I pushed hard on it when I was washing it last week and it doesn’t stick out as much. If I was braver I would really put muscle into it to make it right but I don’t need the headache if something goes wrong - after all it’s my wife’s vehicle
The following users liked this post:
TSX69 (12-21-2017)
Old 12-21-2017, 01:27 PM
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My service manager here in Ontario gave me the same excuse. told me to turn around - so i wouldn't see lol - and slightly bent the fuel door in and is now slightly better. Not 100%. I'll live with it for now i guess. Disn't want to risk asking for a new fuel door assembly and coming in with the paint colour slightly off. I read that happened on another forum. Could easily happen. colours of the same paint name often have a slight difference.
Old 05-05-2018, 01:44 PM
Safety Car

Received 1,400 Likes on 704 Posts
Thumbs up Update

Took the MDX hybrid to a different dealer today and they were able to fix the fuel door so that is now flush with the body. Was not there so do not know what they did but it looks much better now.