2014 MDX noise normal or not?

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2014, 10:27 PM
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2014 MDX noise normal or not?

We just got a new MDX that is absolutely stunning in both looks, ride, and comfort. However, one thing that does seem odd is an engine noise that sounds like a pump. It isn't overly loud, but it is noticeable. I'm thinking the engine should be totally quiet.

Does everyone's MDX make this noise or should I have my car checked out?

Thanks,

-Brad
Old 06-01-2014, 10:30 PM
Instructor

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by Brad Mower
We just got a new MDX that is absolutely stunning in both looks, ride, and comfort. However, one thing that does seem odd is an engine noise that sounds like a pump. It isn't overly loud, but it is noticeable. I'm thinking the engine should be totally quiet.

Thanks,

-Brad
If you are talking about ticking noise you hear from outside that's the DI engine. If so that is nature of the engine for now and you shouldn't be able to hear it from inside. What was your build date /VIN?
Old 06-02-2014, 08:27 PM
Cruisin'

I have a quick 1 second noise once and a while coming from the driver left pillar area, sounds like a air compressor or wind vibration.. anyone have it?
Old 06-02-2014, 08:53 PM
Advanced

Thanks,

-Brad
Yes if you hear it from the outside its normal,so we are told. When was your car built? Check the drivers door it will have the month and year of manf.
Old 06-04-2014, 06:23 PM
6th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
We too hear this noise form the driver's side frontal area and it almost impossible to describe or predict when it will occur. We have not taken it back to the dealer yet because we do not know how to tell them how to duplicte it so they can hear it too. Any suggestions? Thank you.
Old 06-04-2014, 07:25 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by Youngheart
We too hear this noise form the driver's side frontal area and it almost impossible to describe or predict when it will occur. We have not taken it back to the dealer yet because we do not know how to tell them how to duplicte it so they can hear it too. Any suggestions? Thank you.
When was yours built?
Old 06-04-2014, 07:26 PM
Cajun Gumbo Man

Received 55 Likes on 41 Posts
Thumbs down

better yet search "2014 Acura MDX engine noise" on youtube and let us know your thoughts....:w hat:
Old 06-04-2014, 10:10 PM
2014 MDX Tech / sh-AWD

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Brad Mower,

I had a noise similar to what you are describing, I know the sound of injectors on a direct injection engine and that's not it. I took my car in and had captured a few second video of the sound. The service manager sent it to Acura and they immediately what it was and were able to resolve it by installing a taper shim kit near the timing belt. There is an Acura Service Bulliten 08-031 that addresses this. Get it checked out.

I've had another intermittent noise issue that would happen around 1,500-2,000 rpm's a couple of times on any trip. It sounded motorized and lasted for about a second. Dealer was also able to resolve this under ASB 14-003 which involved replacing bulkhead cover strikers / latches.

Lastly (and I haven't experienced this), there is a service bulletin (13-039) that addresses a ticking sound from the dashboard or front damper. This has to do with the paint from the front damper mount sticking to the body. Fix is pretty straight forward

Have your dealer check these 3 service bullitens, hopefully they will resolve your issue.
The following users liked this post:
legendarith (06-16-2014)
Old 06-07-2014, 10:09 PM
Instructor

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by rhn75
Brad Mower,

I had a noise similar to what you are describing, I know the sound of injectors on a direct injection engine and that's not it. I took my car in and had captured a few second video of the sound. The service manager sent it to Acura and they immediately what it was and were able to resolve it by installing a taper shim kit near the timing belt. There is an Acura Service Bulliten 08-031 that addresses this. Get it checked out.

I've had another intermittent noise issue that would happen around 1,500-2,000 rpm's a couple of times on any trip. It sounded motorized and lasted for about a second. Dealer was also able to resolve this under ASB 14-003 which involved replacing bulkhead cover strikers / latches.

Lastly (and I haven't experienced this), there is a service bulletin (13-039) that addresses a ticking sound from the dashboard or front damper. This has to do with the paint from the front damper mount sticking to the body. Fix is pretty straight forward

Have your dealer check these 3 service bullitens, hopefully they will resolve your issue.

Yes I agree you are spot on.
Old 04-15-2015, 03:46 PM
2nd Gear

2014 MDX problems

Thanks,

-Brad

I too am the unlucky owner of a 2014 MDX and have been to the dealership 3 times to be told they cannot fix the issues I am having. Engine noise coming from the drivers side. Sounds like a fluttering/grinding noise and almost all speeds but mainly when I am trying to maintain a cruising speed. I also have wind noise coming from the drivers side window. Acura customer service is horrible. Left 3 emails and don't get responses back. It sounds like they may have so many issues they can't keep up. I learned a valuable lesson....never buy the first model year of any car.
Old 04-15-2015, 04:12 PM
Cajun Gumbo Man

Oh the band aid approach huh? Hey here is your issue and Acura's knows about it....and yes buying the first year of a new vehicle is normally not adivised, but my 2007 (completely new vehicle) has proven to be reliable....
check out this video....

chitty chitty bang bang......
Old 04-15-2015, 04:13 PM
Cajun Gumbo Man

most try to keep this clip away from customers.....:w hyme:
Old 04-15-2015, 05:15 PM
2nd Gear

Originally Posted by Fabvsix
Oh the band aid approach huh? Hey here is your issue and Acura's knows about it....and yes buying the first year of a new vehicle is normally not adivised, but my 2007 (completely new vehicle) has proven to be reliable....
check out this video....

Acura MDX Engine Noise Problem - YouTube

chitty chitty bang bang......
Yes I've seen this video a couple of times over the past few months trying to find out if more people are having the issue. Several issues with this car and hoping they will come up with a fix. Thanks for sending
Old 04-15-2015, 06:06 PM
Cajun Gumbo Man

The reality is most ACURA's owners will not say anything because of the huge chip on their shoulders.... The good thing about Honda Motor Company they will resolve this issue over time....those who have it however will have to live with it or dump the vehicle....Acura is not what is used to be.... so many quality issues with the newer Acura's its a shame...I have an 04 RL that is bullet proof mule and my 2007 MDX Sport has been reliable thus far. heck even my partner's 2007 RDX has lasted with him and he is brutal with everything....so far its lasted well over 125K miles. All I can say is TURN UP YOUR STEREO VOLUME AND DRIVE....
Old 09-15-2015, 07:54 AM
Racer

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts
Prospective buyer here...i drove 2 used 2015s but only noticed the ticking in one of them. It was immediately noticeable upon sitting in car (yes doors closed windows up) I drove a 2016 to try the 9sp last night and that thing was completely silent by comparison.