Stolen wheels, need suggestions

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2015, 06:10 PM
PROFESSIONAL IDIOT

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Stolen wheels, need suggestions

SO I woke up to this this morning.

Happened in the middle of the night, known wheel theft ring.
Not looking for a pity party because thats not who I am.
Riding on the ole stock wheels and rubber now lol

Good news is I am in the market for new wheels now.
Wheels that were stolen were Miro 111s, look in my photo thread labeled "CT car" for pics if ya would like.
I don't know if I want the same set or maybe a whole new look. My buddy said it would be bad juju to get the same set if you believe in that stuff.
I was thinking maybe a three piece look like a set of Avant Gardes, Ive seen some nice Accords with that look.
I am static and have no intention of getting bags AND I drive my car every day in the summer months at least AND live in New England so idk

Any suggestions? You guys got good taste for the most part Id like some input

Thanks guys
Heres to good living and always keeping our chins up
Old 06-06-2015, 08:34 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 849 Likes on 679 Posts
So sorry to see op. Was the car on the street?
Looks in a garage here.

Avant garde has some sick designs.

Check out vrwheels and give them a call. They have great deals, hundreds of sets, and ship. Very reliable well known company. I havent once heard anything bad about them and that is who imported my piece work vsmx.
Old 06-06-2015, 11:39 PM
Unregistered Member

Received 405 Likes on 282 Posts
Sucks about wheels getting stolen. Did you have wheel locks on em?

Avant Garde has nice wheels. TSW came out with some pretty nice new designs as well. I like the TSW Parabolicas.
Old 06-06-2015, 11:56 PM
TSX AMG Type //M i-VVT

Received 856 Likes on 643 Posts
So how does it work if you get your wheels stolen... does insurance cover that or are you totally on your own? Are your rotors damaged? I'd imagine you would probably need to replace them.
Old 06-07-2015, 06:20 AM
Old Guy

Received 161 Likes on 141 Posts
Originally Posted by iCrap
So how does it work if you get your wheels stolen... does insurance cover that or are you totally on your own? Are your rotors damaged? I'd imagine you would probably need to replace them.
Actually the rotors are one of the places where damage is less likely. The car's weight is basically sitting just where it would be as if the tires and wheels were on the car. Hmm . . . thoughtful (but not too thoughtful) robbers, car in the garage, hmm . . ..
Old 06-07-2015, 06:43 AM
Stay Out Of the Left Lane

Received 1,236 Likes on 1,023 Posts
Originally Posted by usdmJON
So sorry to see op. Was the car on the street?
Looks in a garage here.
Looks like a carport to me as I don't see any garage doors or tracks for them to roll up on -

Originally Posted by Simba91102
Actually the rotors are one of the places where damage is less likely. The car's weight is basically sitting just where it would be as if the tires and wheels were on the car.
How do you figure? Car in pic is sitting with all the weight on the bottom edge of the rotors. When rims and tires are mounted the rotors sit untouched until you strp on the brake. The cars weight is normally distributed across the wheel studs.

OP - sorry to see this have happened to you.
The following users liked this post:
xtcnrice (06-08-2015)
Old 06-07-2015, 07:19 AM
Pro

Received 165 Likes on 135 Posts
Yeah. Looks like the rotors might develop a flat spot where they sit and touch the blocks.

Sorry for your loss. I hope you see some idiot running on them around town.
Old 06-07-2015, 07:28 AM

^^^ wasn't debating the damage to the rotors issue, but the weight of the car and where normally "sits."
Old 06-07-2015, 08:27 AM
Instructor

Received 43 Likes on 31 Posts
depending on your insurance company and premium, your aftermarket wheels may be covered. only guaranteed way to have aftermarket parts covered is the have the vehicle appraised. An adjuster will inspect the car and note changes, which will also be covered in case of total loss. BUT not all insurance companies provide this. Any who; I hope you get this resolved. Being in Socal I could recommend a bunch of wheels companies for you, as VIP mod, AG, Infiniteworks, VRwheels (probably the faster option) and other are really close to me. Each one has varying wait times so if your in a rush, opt for a 1-piece wheel (cheap and even cheaper if you go with a standard finish versus something special (powder-coat). Keep in mind that it is also "show" season and i can bet all these shops are pretty backed up already.
Old 06-07-2015, 01:26 PM
PROFESSIONAL IDIOT

Great suggestions guys, Lookin at the vr site, so glad you guys suggested them!
In the process on getting issuance straightened out but it looks like I should be reimbursed at least to some degree.
I have an open car port that is lighted and everything and wheel locks. Guess these guys were a known ring in the area, even stole from my apartments in the past.
AS far as the brakes go, I just eyeballed the rotors and there the original set anyway so replacement set from xlr8 in in the neer future anyway. Drove it across town like twice and it seemed ok. Some spirited driving in there aswell because I though I deserved it haha.
Old 06-07-2015, 01:31 PM
PROFESSIONAL IDIOT

Also in the market for an alarm system now
Cop suggested it, friends suggested it, parents suggested it, and my girl said something soooo
anyone running a hard-ass alarm?
Old 06-07-2015, 04:59 PM
ceb
Suzuka Master

Received 1,276 Likes on 951 Posts
Originally Posted by V-tecAc
Also in the market for an alarm system now
Cop suggested it, friends suggested it, parents suggested it, and my girl said something soooo
anyone running a hard-ass alarm?
Does your house have an alarm? Just extend it outside and wire a motion sensor to the car - or a weight sensor where you park the car - rigged to a 12 gauge.
The following users liked this post:
iSeeYouTwo (06-08-2015)
Old 06-08-2015, 06:26 AM
Drifting

Received 657 Likes on 478 Posts
Saw your post on IG... sucks man! That's the one thing I fear. Hope you get it all figure out!
Old 06-08-2015, 10:08 AM
VTEC just kicked in, yo!

Received 1,112 Likes on 876 Posts
Sucks to hear/see. I'm surprised this happened in a garage. Hopefully you'll get something back.

I'll cast my vote towards AG wheels as well. They have some great designs, a variety of sizes for your liking, and a seemingly great rep.

Cons: They're pricey and well-known, which may attract even more unwanted attention than your last set of wheels. With that being said, please do make sure you have added security to prevent this from happening again. Obviously this isn't your fault, just saying it would suck if this were to happen again, especially on an even more expensive set of wheels.

Good luck OP
Old 06-08-2015, 07:56 PM
PROFESSIONAL IDIOT

Im gonna get one of those tilt alarms that go off at any change of balance, resets every time you arm the system. No reindeer games this time boys don't worry haha

You guys have opinions on staggered setups on fwd cars?
The wheels that were stolen were a square setup witch I liked but the back were recessed so much i hated the way they looked. Didn't have a chance to space them but not a spacer fan either.
I would like the idea of flush on all corners but don't like the idea of more rubber on wheels that don't drive the car ya know?
Old 06-08-2015, 10:59 PM
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Come on man they invented wheel lock for a reason
Old 06-08-2015, 11:17 PM
5th Gear

Originally Posted by 03 cl 6
The frost thing you buy is aftermarket alarm system and then rims and of course the sound system in that order take from me out of DC !!!
Old 06-08-2015, 11:59 PM
5th Gear

[QUOTE=03 cl 6;15463501]The first thing you buy is aftermarket alarm system and then rims and of course the sound system in that order take it from me

I have a viper 5706v and 2 window modules for sale still in the box if you are interested text me at 202 327-3551 make me a offer
Old 06-09-2015, 10:39 AM
VTEC just kicked in, yo!

Received 1,112 Likes on 876 Posts
Im gonna get one of those tilt alarms that go off at any change of balance, resets every time you arm the system. No reindeer games this time boys don't worry haha

You guys have opinions on staggered setups on fwd cars?
The wheels that were stolen were a square setup witch I liked but the back were recessed so much i hated the way they looked. Didn't have a chance to space them but not a spacer fan either.
I would like the idea of flush on all corners but don't like the idea of more rubber on wheels that don't drive the car ya know?
Really boils down to personal preference. From what it sounds like, you can get a staggered setup that's only differs in offset (i.e., lower offset in the rears), but same wheel width all around. That way you can have the same tire size all around, but you won't have to run larger tires for the rears which as you mentioned, is pretty useless on a FWD (although I personally did it haha). You can do something like 18x9 +35 front and 18x9+20 rear, for example.

Of course, staggered in anyway will limit you in terms of tire rotation, so if that's a problem for you, staggered is not the way to go for you unless you want to end up doing reverse staggered (which is actually preferred in FWD race cars). However, that will defeat the purpose of going staggered to begin with as it will be completely opposite of flush if you rotate the fronts with the rears.

I'm not an advocate for spacers per se, but I can say that I've run spacers on the front and the rear without any issue for over a year. Granted, that isn't a lot of time. I was quite paranoid at first so I checked the tightness of the spacer nuts every other week or so, and they were all at the same torque spec each time, so I eventually got more comfortable with the idea.

Good luck
Old 06-10-2015, 09:14 AM

Received 7,772 Likes on 5,045 Posts
Originally Posted by 03 cl 6
OP mentioned he had wheel locks.

Wheel locks only stop honest people, and slow down thieves. If they're motivated enough, your wheels are coming off; like in this case.

Locks/Alarm/Insurance. If you really want to make it difficult, you'll put five different locking lugs on each wheel and hope they don't bust your window looking for the keys. But at some point, there's diminishing returns and your wheels just end up on Craigslist anyway.

Sorry OP, better luck with the new ones.
Old 06-10-2015, 09:29 AM
5th Gear

That's a true saying
Old 06-10-2015, 09:38 AM
Team Owner

Received 4,416 Likes on 3,322 Posts
Wheel locks only add an additional 15 seconds to each wheel when trying to steal them. I lost my wheel lock key last summer, so a quick google/youtube search quickly showed how easy it is to get them off. Get a slightly smaller sized socket and a hammer. Voila.
Old 06-10-2015, 09:42 AM
Team Owner

Received 4,416 Likes on 3,322 Posts
I remember in the 3G TL section there was a guy who had his wheels jacked. He ended finding a pricey solution- it was like a two piece wheel lock. You can't get the lock off without the second piece, apparently. I think the company even has a policy that they'll replace your wheels if they still get jacked.

Also, with alarms- who pays attention to alarms these days? Pretty much nobody. You might if it's going off in your driveway, but beyond that, nobody. If someone is ballsy enough to steal your wheels with the alarm going off, I dunno if I'd be confronting them...
Old 06-11-2015, 01:19 PM
PROFESSIONAL IDIOT

If i had an alarm on my car last weekend, this thread wouldnt exist and i wouldnt be running snow tires to work every day
just sayin
Old 06-11-2015, 03:04 PM

If i had an alarm on my car last weekend, this thread wouldnt exist and i wouldnt be running snow tires to work every day
just sayin
and I mean that with all due respect. Part of it is because I am currently doing the same. Not because I had wheels stolen, but because I have a front suspension issue and don't want to put my Summer rubber on until sorted out. My snows are pretty much toast all around (down to the wear bars) but the fronts and severely worn on the inside.
Old 09-23-2015, 05:27 PM
Intermediate

OP - did you end up getting the titl sensor? Can you add that to the stock alarm?