Which Tires should i get?

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2013, 07:19 PM
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Which Tires should i get?

i just reached 70k miles on my original Michelin Pilot HX MXM4 tires, they've run for 70k miles but i wouldnt say well and the price for them is pretty high so im looking to replace them and i do live in chicago so i have to deal with snow so ive narrowed it to 3 tires 2 of which are much more expensive then the one but im just not sure the price difference really constitutes the product.

Pirelli’s Cinturato P7 All Season Plus (and Runflat)

Continental's Purecontact

Kumho's Ecsta 4X

what do you think and if you have anything else to suggest from the 100-150$ range please post as well.

I also drive about 30k miles per year so also keep that in mind as well

Last edited by kazelement; 09-10-2013 at 07:24 PM.
Old 09-11-2013, 11:46 AM
Drifting

Received 657 Likes on 478 Posts
How did your Michelin's perform in the snow/wet conditions?
Old 09-11-2013, 11:56 AM
Advanced

Originally Posted by iSeeYouTwo
How did your Michelin's perform in the snow/wet conditions?
Wet there fine, but in snow there quite awful, and based on the research i did on them mainly using tirerack most people complain about the poor performance in snow.
Old 09-11-2013, 03:56 PM
Advanced

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
An excellent question, although I don't care as much about snow performance. Would love to hear what others have to say.

I have been anticipating what I will be getting once the Michelins go out, and I was looking at the Bridgestone Potenza RE970AS Pole Position Ultra High Performance All-Season tire. It is currently $155 each on Tire Rack, so it may be a tad out of your range. It got good reviews but I cannot attest to the tire myself obviously.

I will check out the ones you list too. Good luck.
Old 09-11-2013, 04:05 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by The Stig CA
An excellent question, although I don't care as much about snow performance. Would love to hear what others have to say.

I have been anticipating what I will be getting once the Michelins go out, and I was looking at the Bridgestone Potenza RE970AS Pole Position Ultra High Performance All-Season tire. It is currently $155 each on Tire Rack, so it may be a tad out of your range. It got good reviews but I cannot attest to the tire myself obviously.

I will check out the ones you list too. Good luck.
i took a look at the ones you suggested and on those particular ones based on the reviews and things i can find, Continental's ExtremeContact DWS seem like they might be a tad better and cheaper.
Old 09-12-2013, 01:51 AM
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
IMO opinion and personal experience, all Conti's suck. Great in dry conditions, but downright awful in any other. Pirelli all seasons and M+S are always a great purchase, specifically P-ZeroNero M+S. Best all around, all season tire I have ever owned, but not the best wear and pretty loud. Kumho makes probably the best bang for your buck tire on the market, but overall value, as far as I'm concerned is in either Falkens, usually Ziex512s or something similar, or General. I've had all of these at one point or another, and I'd take the Falkens for everyday, all season, ride comfort and quietness, as well as value and all other aspects being considered over the rest.
Old 09-12-2013, 10:46 AM
Advanced

Originally Posted by Exit117TSX
IMO opinion and personal experience, all Conti's suck. Great in dry conditions, but downright awful in any other. Pirelli all seasons and M+S are always a great purchase, specifically P-ZeroNero M+S. Best all around, all season tire I have ever owned, but not the best wear and pretty loud. Kumho makes probably the best bang for your buck tire on the market, but overall value, as far as I'm concerned is in either Falkens, usually Ziex512s or something similar, or General. I've had all of these at one point or another, and I'd take the Falkens for everyday, all season, ride comfort and quietness, as well as value and all other aspects being considered over the rest.
Thanks for your input, i was leaning away from the Conti's anyways and ive heard really good things about Falkens but im not sure how they would directly compare to the Kumho's. Ive also heard a few good things about General's as well but i dont think there at the same level. and it looks like the 512's were replaced by the 912's so i'm not sure how much of a difference that will make. In the end im slightly leaning towards the Pirelli P7's mostly due to there winter performance.
Old 09-17-2013, 07:20 PM
registered pw

Received 354 Likes on 252 Posts
We went with the pure contacts b/c of the 70k mileage. We have a set of snows so i won't normally need the conti's for snow.

So far so good and they ride nice.
Old 09-17-2013, 07:31 PM
Stay Out Of the Left Lane

Received 1,236 Likes on 1,023 Posts
Sub'd for feedback. Will need to replace the non Pilot MXMs on my daughter's Accord soon.
Old 09-17-2013, 07:32 PM
Advanced

Thanks for the input im leaning towards the pirelli's i just got a quote for 660$(and 70$ rebate) out the door on them and there rated 70k along with the conti's.
Old 09-25-2013, 12:47 AM
Cruisin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
check out generals g max AS-03. Ive had them on for the like 10k and have had them through light snow. They track surprisingly well.
Old 09-25-2013, 09:54 AM
Advanced

Originally Posted by Brian Wilson
check out generals g max AS-03. Ive had them on for the like 10k and have had them through light snow. They track surprisingly well.
ive heard good things about these tires and they are supposed to be similar to Kumho Ecsta 4X's but these are supposed to have better handling but just by a bit. im actually leaning towards getting the Kumho's but since i do so much driving im not sure if i would be better suited with a grand touring all weather tire instead of a ultra high performance all weather.
Old 09-30-2013, 12:00 AM
Advanced

so yesterday i finally bought my Pirelli P7's and put them on my car cost about 685$ out the door for balancing and everything from discount tire. ive put about 100 miles on them so far and my first impressions are they are not the grand touring tire they are marketed as but i pretty much assumed that and even the sales person i dealt with told me the same thing and that if i wanted more of a grand touring tire that i should considering the Conti ExtremeContact DWG. These tires are however quite good performance tires in my first day or so of driving the handling is phenomenal, but they are also a bit more stiff then they MXM4's they replaced im just hoping they can hit the 70k warranty they are listed at, ill have more info later on these week when i put a few hundred more miles on them and lots of highway experience, also they are listed as fuel efficient tires so ill be able to compare these to my old ones as well since ive kept track of all my fillups for the last year. if anyone has any questions i can certainly help.
The following users liked this post:
hoangtanle (10-01-2013)
Old 10-01-2013, 06:49 PM
Racer

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by kazelement
i took a look at the ones you suggested and on those particular ones based on the reviews and things i can find, Continental's ExtremeContact DWS seem like they might be a tad better and cheaper.
I've always heard great things about the Conti ExtremeContact DWS, particularly their snow performance, and I've kept these on my radar particularly for that reason. But I noticed in the latest Consumer Reports that they rate "Poor" (CR's worst rating) in Snow Traction in a comparison with other UHP All-Season tires. Most of the other UHP A/S tires rated "Good" (their middle rating) in Snow Traction. So I don't really know what to think anymore.

I will tell you that the stock Michelins do WAY better in snow than Yokohama AVID V4S (most frightening tires I've ever "driven" (slidden) in snow), and marginally better than Sumitomo HTR A/S P01, other UHP A/S tires that I've driven on a TSX (2004). The Yokos were great otherwise, and the Sumitomos were pretty good for their price I thought.
Old 10-02-2013, 08:31 AM
Advanced

Originally Posted by scheißterhöffer
I've always heard great things about the Conti ExtremeContact DWS, particularly their snow performance, and I've kept these on my radar particularly for that reason. But I noticed in the latest Consumer Reports that they rate "Poor" (CR's worst rating) in Snow Traction in a comparison with other UHP All-Season tires. Most of the other UHP A/S tires rated "Good" (their middle rating) in Snow Traction. So I don't really know what to think anymore.

I will tell you that the stock Michelins do WAY better in snow than Yokohama AVID V4S (most frightening tires I've ever "driven" (slidden) in snow), and marginally better than Sumitomo HTR A/S P01, other UHP A/S tires that I've driven on a TSX (2004). The Yokos were great otherwise, and the Sumitomos were pretty good for their price I thought.
i have my doubts on consumer reports rating them worst in snow, obviously there not gonna beat a actual snow tire but for what they are i know without a doubt that they are good snow performing tires and i expect them to be better then my pirelli's
Old 10-03-2013, 07:06 PM
Racer

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by kazelement
i have my doubts on consumer reports rating them worst in snow, obviously there not gonna beat a actual snow tire but for what they are i know without a doubt that they are good snow performing tires and i expect them to be better then my pirelli's
See, I've heard so much good about them in snow too. But I find TireRack-type reviews pretty frustrating, primarily because people's opinions are so skewed by the tire they came from or what they expect from a tire. They may say such and such tire does great in snow, but it's because they're comparing it to the summer tires they ran through last winter. For that reason, I give something like Consumer Reports alot of credence here because they are comparing like tires based on the same criteria across the board. So when I see them rank 20 UHP A/S tires based on a set of criteria, I think that is pretty meaningful data, moreso than 2fast4u27 from Phoenix's review of one tire on tirerack.

By the way, CR has the Pirelli P Zero Nero All Season as "Good" (2 grades higher than the Continental's "Poor") in Snow Traction.

I just don't know what to think now...
Old 10-03-2013, 07:11 PM
registered pw

Received 354 Likes on 252 Posts
So far so good on the conti's. They ride smooth and quiet.
Old 10-03-2013, 07:13 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by scheißterhöffer
See, I've heard so much good about them in snow too. But I find TireRack-type reviews pretty frustrating, primarily because people's opinions are so skewed by the tire they came from or what they expect from a tire. They may say such and such tire does great in snow, but it's because they're comparing it to the summer tires they ran through last winter. For that reason, I give something like Consumer Reports alot of credence here because they are comparing like tires based on the same criteria across the board. So when I see them rank 20 UHP A/S tires based on a set of criteria, I think that is pretty meaningful data, moreso than 2fast4u27 from Phoenix's review of one tire on tirerack.

By the way, CR has the Pirelli P Zero Nero All Season as "Good" (2 grades higher than the Continental's "Poor") in Snow Traction.

I just don't know what to think now...
you may want to look at some of the snow videos on tirerack obviously there opinionated, what i've really noticed with the pirelli's is they maybe too much for the car unless your really pushing the car to the limit so the conti's maybe better but i cant say for sure and the pirelli p zero nero are supposed to have more performance then the p7's
Old 10-04-2013, 08:12 PM
Cruisin'

Michelin is probably the only company that comes close to their stated mileage rating.
The P7s I think are a newer technology so can't help you there.
Conti DWS, I have used them on FWD & RWD vehicles and have been impressed in snow. There is nothing 'poor' about that tire.
If you're in Chicago, then ill suggest get a winter set, like myself, and you should be good to go.
Old 10-04-2013, 09:02 PM
it's a car-drive it

Received 262 Likes on 199 Posts
the original Michelin tires last 74K miles, the Yokohama Avid 4vs tires 69K and now have Yokohama Envigor tires.
Old 10-04-2013, 09:40 PM
Instructor

Received 37 Likes on 27 Posts
i find kumho to be all all round good tyre, if it was me that would be my preference.

i did use hankook before with great results as well
Old 10-05-2013, 08:02 AM
it's a car-drive it

Received 262 Likes on 199 Posts
Originally Posted by Exit117TSX
my late husband did not like continental tires-I have to write he was a excellent driver in the snow. He was amazing driving in the Colorado mountains in the snow with either Michelin or Yokohama tires.
WheelMcCoy (10-05-2013)
Old 10-06-2013, 07:00 AM
wagon owner

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts
I'm at 32k and im starting to look whats next.
Probably gonna pull trigger in michelin pilot a/s 3 though its a very new tire (3 months on market roughly)
Hoping its quiet, tracks well in dry, rain, a few snow days, and stays round in cold weather without flatspotting.

Every time ive replaced a set of tires (michelin about the last 6 changes) i always ask myself why i didnt do it several thousand miles sooner as the ride improves dramatically w 5-6 32nds more of treadwear. Especially in wet conditions it doesn't pay to drop below 4/32
Old 10-07-2013, 06:46 PM
Advanced

i live in chicago so i have to deal with snow, but so far even in hard rain the p7's are excellent not sure about the snow yet, im not sure if they'll last as long as the Michelin though, if possible i would just get dedicated snow tires but due to cost i cant. im still happy i didnt get the conti's but the snow performance could be less. also i had a scary moment with about a 80-0 stop on my pirelli's and they handle it very well, im sure i could have gotten a another few thousand out of the Michelin's but with snow coming i couldnt risk it and i still believe that the pirelli's are more firm then the michelin's but it comes with better handling and performance is hard to judge unless your really pushing the car hard but they take speed well.
Old 10-08-2013, 12:40 AM
Instructor

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts
Continental ExtremeContact DWS. I ran them on my Accord Coupe V6 and just swapped out the OEM Michelin's on my TSX for the DWS. They're great tires, great traction in the rain, and they have good traction in the snow as well (they're not snow tires, obviously, but better than any all-season). Search YouTube for DWS performance reviews.
Old 10-08-2013, 10:55 AM
Racer

Received 79 Likes on 59 Posts
Conti DWS is what I have and have been happy, but I'm not concerned about mileage nor have any idea how long they will last in real world setting. The stock Michelin tires will get great longevity and decent performance whereas stock Bridgestone tires get about 1/2 and worse performance but less money. Michelin is expensive but in some situations very much worth it.
Old 06-10-2014, 07:46 AM
Instructor

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts
Smile My experience with ContiDWS

I'm surprised at all the positive reviews for the Continental DWS. I've had a poor experience with mine.
  • I'm at 30K and they're at 1/32 tread depth.
  • They are good on dry roads.
  • They are decent on wet roads.
  • They are below average in the snow.
  • THEY ARE LOUD

I drive almost all highway from NH, USA to New Brunswick, Canada almost weekly. These tires, imo, are NOT as good as any of the ratings suggest. My OEM Michelin's were quieter, lasted about twice as long and were better all around.

I found this post because I was looking at replacing my ContiDWS's with the newer Pirelli Cinturato. Seems like it's got great ratings on tirerack and they make the size for my 2006 RL.

I'd love it if any of you who purchased the Pirelli Cinturato had a longer term view and opinion of that tire since this thread is about 9 months old.

Any tips on the Pirelli would be much appreciated! Thanks!

Last edited by kingofbytes; 06-10-2014 at 07:49 AM.
brinox (08-08-2014)
Old 06-10-2014, 08:28 AM
Intermediate

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
I don't know about the Pirelli's - have not had a set for 20+ years(85 Prelude, should have kept it forever). We have a set of Goodyear Eagle Sports on my wife's car and they are very good on dry and in rain, good highway ride, pretty quiet, also have a rim protector bead. Have not been in snow yet but have winter tires anyway. Also looked at the Michelin Pilot AS/3's as suggested by kball. Goodyear's currently have a small rebate offer from Tire Rack.
Old 06-10-2014, 09:01 AM
Intermediate

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Sorry kingofbytes, thought you had TL. Seems Eagle Sport does not come in your size.
Old 06-10-2014, 09:39 AM
Advanced

Originally Posted by kingofbytes
I'm surprised at all the positive reviews for the Continental DWS. I've had a poor experience with mine.
  • I'm at 30K and they're at 1/32 tread depth.
  • They are good on dry roads.
  • They are decent on wet roads.
  • They are below average in the snow.
  • THEY ARE LOUD

I drive almost all highway from NH, USA to New Brunswick, Canada almost weekly. These tires, imo, are NOT as good as any of the ratings suggest. My OEM Michelin's were quieter, lasted about twice as long and were better all around.

I found this post because I was looking at replacing my ContiDWS's with the newer Pirelli Cinturato. Seems like it's got great ratings on tirerack and they make the size for my 2006 RL.

I'd love it if any of you who purchased the Pirelli Cinturato had a longer term view and opinion of that tire since this thread is about 9 months old.

Any tips on the Pirelli would be much appreciated! Thanks!
I bought the pirelli's I'm about 15k miles in I do mostly Highway and they went through a entire winter of rough C were very good in the snow, as well on other surfaces but the tires do have some road noise but I expected as much from a performance tire also makes the ride a little bit stiffer. Not sure how long there gonna last yet but they seem to be going pretty well
Old 06-10-2014, 12:58 PM
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
I have had Bridgestone Potenza RE 960 A/S Pole Position (they came with the 18" accessory rims), after that I went with Uniroyal GTZ A/S and my latest set currently installed is the Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3 which I put on in December.

The Bridgestone was a great tire but subject to flat spotting when the car sat for more than a few hours. It took about 5 minutes of driving before they smoothed out. It got kind of annoying after a couple of years so I was glad to get rid of them.

The Uniroyal was also a great tire, but did terrible in light snow and was noisy and harsh at times.

The Michelin's are by far the best set I have had yet. All around they are smooth and quiet with excellent traction in wet and dry conditions. In the snow back in February and March they did reasonably well for all-season tires.

Keep in mind I also have 18" wheels with size 225/45/18 tires, so my experience will be a little different from those with the stock 17" rims.
Old 06-10-2014, 03:26 PM
2010 TSX

Received 96 Likes on 80 Posts
on my wife's A5 w/19s, I replaced the Dunlop SP Sport Maxx GT with Continental DWS and they made a world of difference in ride comfort/noise (much quieter and smoother ride). Tons and tons of excellent reviews online.

I'm looking at the Conti PureContact for my TSX (245/40/18) because of the higher treadwear rating.

has anyone tried the Dunlop DZ101s? cheap @ $126 per tire on tirerack.

Last edited by bagwell; 06-10-2014 at 03:37 PM.
Old 06-10-2014, 03:31 PM
Instructor

Bad news on the Pirelli Cinturato P7's. Backordered everywhere until middle to end of August....

Also, the Primacy's no longer have a "V" rated tire available.

Dunlop lost me years ago with a tire louder than a mudder...ok I'm exaggerating, but it was the loudest passenger tire ever.

I've read bad reviews around the Turanza Serenity Plus.

HELP!
Old 06-14-2014, 03:52 PM
Lex
Intermediate

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
I've been running the DWS for about 25,000 miles so far.

WOULD NOT buy these again!!!! They do have decent traction in dry/wet conditions BUT they are way too NOISEY!!!!
Old 06-14-2014, 04:31 PM
Instructor

Lex, I concur they are not a good tire. Your experience is like mine. They're not the worst I've had though. I've reserved the "worst" tire I've had for Dunlop.

Indeed, the DWS are short lived. They are acceptable for dry conditions, barely acceptable in wet and were awful in the snow for me. They were the second LOUDEST tire I've owned after the Dunlop's. Good Riddance!

I just put on Falken PT 722's. I've only got 20 miles on them, but they were excellent in the rain at 85mph. I'm driving to Canada this coming week so will be able to test them out on the highway. I can, however, already tell these are quieter BY FAR.

And I couldn't pass up the deal at Pepboys (and I don't like Pepboys):
Buy 3 get one free ($175 saved with rebate, (blah to rebates but can't complain)). 10% off ($70). All with road hazard.

All in cost after rebate $660.00 installed/balanced/fees, etc.

And the Falken's DO feel like a premium tire. Pepboys manager said he thought it was an excellent tire.
Old 06-15-2014, 05:30 PM
Stay Out Of the Left Lane

Received 1,236 Likes on 1,023 Posts
Interesting commentary on the DWS as time has gone by. Most of the reviews awhile back were very positive for these. I have them on my daughter's car because I got a good deal on them. Only have about 4K on them and so far so good. Time will tell..........
Old 06-16-2014, 07:16 AM
Instructor

Thumbs up Falken PT 722's are fantastic

Yesterday I took the RL out for a highway drive on a sunny and 78 degree day. I was wanted to test out the new Falken PT 722's in the dry weather.

All I can say is there isn't a better value out there. These tires are QUIET. I could not make them squeal around an exit ramp (until I went too far). I took the car up to, ahem, 100, and they are smooth smooth smooth.

If you need new tires for your Acura (or any car for that matter), make sure you check out Pepboys (until July 6th)....they have buy 3 get one free and a 10% off installation coupon with road hazard. My all in cost for 245-50R17's was approx $675.00. That included mounting/balancing/road hazard/TPMS sensors....the whole kit and kaboodle.

I couldn't be happier!

Old 06-20-2014, 05:34 AM
Instructor

----------------------------------------
UPDATE:
Just drove up to Canada, eh?, roughly 1000 mile round trip. The tires were fantastic. Smooth at any speed, no squealing, good feel. The feel isn't a sports car feel, just a nice smooth ride feel that CAN take a little sporty driving.

The installer put 40lbs in the tire and that was too much. I dropped them to 35lbs and it was much better. I'll be dropping them to 32 today to try that. I did have a very miniscule amount of flat spotting that went away once the tires warmed up.

I am THRILLED with this purchase - this feels like a premium tire at a value price. I'm a Falken fan now!