Opinion on Tires for 19" Rims

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2012, 08:24 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 247 Likes on 173 Posts
If you're looking only in Max Performance Summer, IMO, the DWs and V12s are better value than both the Pilots and the RE050As. Like Octo said, for a daily driver with the occasional hard cornering, you don't really need to go all out and get the best of the best.
Old 03-09-2012, 08:37 AM
Racer

Received 69 Likes on 53 Posts
I'm trying out the Generals because they have high ratings.

Also -- which offset are you going with for the RonJons? I think I'm doing 35 front 32 rear
Old 03-09-2012, 08:38 AM
Op is too busy to care

Received 913 Likes on 540 Posts
Originally Posted by ceb
Sorry. I don't know what I was thinking
Thanks bro, as long as my e-pinion is respected thats all that matters

@ OP: I know the porsche guys like to run the pilot super sports and pilot a/s pretty regularly, and IMO, they cant be that overrated. They are expensive, but im sure they are good.

The v12 are excellent value, but in that price range, if you can wait, i would wait till April and wait till you can get the first objective reviews of the BFG comp-2, those things were dope, and i sneaked the pricing and they are coming in really cheap too

i think the michelins also have an 80$ rebate going right now, but yeah they might be overkill for the TSX
Old 03-09-2012, 08:53 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 362 Likes on 267 Posts
Did anyone notice that the Hankook Evo V12 took a serious jump in price? I ordered a set of 245/40/19s last summer from TireRack for $700 shipped before rebated. Today, they are over close to $900 shipped ($214/tire). For that price, I am going back to Toyo T1Rs...
The following users liked this post:
ed_423 (03-09-2012)
Old 03-09-2012, 08:56 AM
Racer

^^ Keep in mind that dealers raise the prices around this time of year, because they know that people are buying tires for the summer..

A dealer specifically told me he raises prices 10-15% once spring hits. That's why I bought mine weeks ago.
Old 03-09-2012, 09:04 AM
Three Wheelin'

That's good to know. I normally buy my performance tires during summer/winter time as that's when I normally need replacements. Since the Hankooks are Korean made, I wasn't sure if the price hike was tariff related as the prices on my favs like Michelins and Toyos still pretty much the same.
Old 03-09-2012, 09:10 AM
ceb
Suzuka Master

Received 1,277 Likes on 952 Posts
Here's some of that intarweb advice

I've driven on good tires, mediocre tires and downright dangerous tires.

The big name tires are basically the same when you compare the same performance category. There are generally one or two good tires from the smaller brands (Kumho, Hankook etc) but you can't go wrong with a tire from one of the big brands.

Like MrO said, there are minimal differences between the Potenza and the Super Sport.

I think you should really give consideration to performance category though and much of that depends on your driving style.

While I certainly enjoy a brisk drive along some twisties, that's probably not the reason that most of us drive these cars. I'd opine that good performance oriented all-season might be best suited and may have some advantages over summer performance rubber.

Price seems to be a consideration so here is something else to throw into the mix.

With "normal" driving, most summer performance tires are dead by 25k miles, while even the highest performance all season will get you 32-35k miles. A grand touring tire like the stock tires can be expected to last at least 45k or thereabouts while a comfort biased tire will give you upwards of 50k miles.

I'm actually leaning towards a "performance" all-season for the TSX - still swapping for winters when things get yucky outside because there is no good all-season for winter.
Old 03-09-2012, 09:18 AM
ceb
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by KillerG
Thanks bro, as long as my e-pinion is respected thats all that matters

@ OP: I know the porsche guys like to run the pilot super sports and pilot a/s pretty regularly, and IMO, they cant be that overrated. They are expensive, but im sure they are good.

The v12 are excellent value, but in that price range, if you can wait, i would wait till April and wait till you can get the first objective reviews of the BFG comp-2, those things were dope, and i sneaked the pricing and they are coming in really cheap too

i think the michelins also have an 80$ rebate going right now, but yeah they might be overkill for the TSX
Your e-pinion is (almost) always depreciated - err apreciated

My experience with BFGs is pretty negative. I had a set of KD (I think that's what they were called) and from new they tramlined badly and got ridiculously loud when they started to wear.
Old 03-09-2012, 10:09 AM
Racer

Received 31 Likes on 26 Posts
Originally Posted by uhohkaitlina
I'm trying out the Generals because they have high ratings.

Also -- which offset are you going with for the RonJons? I think I'm doing 35 front 32 rear
not sure about the offset yet... was thinking 38 front and back... ronjon told me that was recommended for fitment of most BBK's if and when i get them in the VERY distant future!

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....omCompare1=yes

these the generals you got? all season? so many options... and very good points made by ceb and others. Gonna take some time before i make my decision. I will research and ask tons of questions like i do before i purchase anything. thanks all!
Old 03-09-2012, 10:34 AM
Op is too busy to care

Originally Posted by ceb
Your e-pinion is (almost) always depreciated - err apreciated

My experience with BFGs is pretty negative. I had a set of KD (I think that's what they were called) and from new they tramlined badly and got ridiculously loud when they started to wear.

personal anecdote > all other information available for sure

(???)

and for the record i gotta disagree with you, you can go wrong with a tire, even from the big brands, all brands have their winners and their losers
Old 03-09-2012, 10:38 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by GameOver69
not sure about the offset yet... was thinking 38 front and back... ronjon told me that was recommended for fitment of most BBK's if and when i get them in the VERY distant future!

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....omCompare1=yes

these the generals you got? all season? so many options... and very good points made by ceb and others. Gonna take some time before i make my decision. I will research and ask tons of questions like i do before i purchase anything. thanks all!
Got the General G-Max.

48 all around is recommended, but if you're trying to be flush, you won't be satisfied. They have a LOT of pictures on the RJ website of TSX with RJ wheels so that you can get an idea =)
Old 03-09-2012, 11:13 AM
Racer

^^ UPDATE:

The guy with the 19x8 + 32 all around RJs reported zero issues with rubbing..hmm
Old 03-09-2012, 12:25 PM
ceb
Suzuka Master

personal anecdote > all other information available for sure

(???)

and for the record i gotta disagree with you, you can go wrong with a tire, even from the big brands, all brands have their winners and their losers
WHAT???????????????????? How dare you disagree with me? This is the internet and I am the undisputed (in my little mind) expert on all things.

Yes, all brands make some sort of losers from time to time, but that becomes common knowledge pretty quickly.

Let me amend that to say that you won't see much difference in tested tires from different manufacturers. Those tires that end up on the bottom rankings are almost always the lesser known brands - with the exception of LingLong tires that always end up on the bottom.

My point was that he won't go wrong with the Potenzas, Sports, ContiSportContacts and so forth.

That said, he might want to look at the ContiExtremeContact DW (for perf summer) or DWS (all-season). They have great test results and are well priced. In addition, they include the road hazard warranty.
Old 03-09-2012, 12:43 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by uhohkaitlina
Got the General G-Max.

48 all around is recommended, but if you're trying to be flush, you won't be satisfied. They have a LOT of pictures on the RJ website of TSX with RJ wheels so that you can get an idea =)
yeah RJ told me 48 is recommended but not if your looking at BBK's.... some will fit the rim i want, but not most of them like if i got a 38...

we will see.. BBKs are so expensive... i may never get to it anyway.
Old 03-09-2012, 01:01 PM
Burning Brakes

Posted this in KillerG's thread... Tirerack has certain sizes of Conti DWs on closeout right now... 235/40/18s were $130 apiece, might want to take a look to see if there are any deals on the sizes you want.
Old 03-09-2012, 01:55 PM
Op is too busy to care

btw, just so you all know, DWS are on closeout errywhere, they are rolling out a new iteration with a revised compound

they will be out in about ~2 months

source: apparently i have tire connections
The following users liked this post:
ceb (03-09-2012)
Old 03-09-2012, 02:01 PM
ceb
Suzuka Master

btw, just so you all know, DWS are on closeout errywhere, they are rolling out a new iteration with a revised compound

Interesting. That makes them a damn good buy.

I hope you realize how hard it was to thank you for your post...
Old 03-09-2012, 02:05 PM
Three Wheelin'

Damn Killer! Tire Rack must be slow.. Prices are still at MSRP over there.
Old 03-09-2012, 02:24 PM
Burning Brakes

I didn't even think they were out that long, plus the DW was so highly rated. The new version better be an improvement.
Old 03-09-2012, 02:25 PM
Racer

after doing more research (all day at work) i am starting to think maybe i should go with the all season tires instead of the summer tires. I would still be swapping them in the winter time with the stock, but i want a tire that will last me a little longer miles wise, and have a little less of a chance of ruining because they are a little tougher?

what do you guys think. A/S vs Summer in NJ... daily driver? i just want to narrow my search selection down and want to make the best decision possible for my driving!

Last edited by GameOver69; 03-09-2012 at 02:28 PM.
Old 03-09-2012, 02:31 PM
Op is too busy to care

Thanks guys, i believe the new compound will be released in waves, so the sizes you see on closeout will be the sizes that are refreshed first

I live in NJ too, game, and I wouldnt get summers unless i had a dedicated 2nd set for the winter time.
Old 03-09-2012, 02:32 PM
ceb
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by GameOver69
after doing more research (all day at work) i am starting to think maybe i should go with the all season tires instead of the summer tires. I would still be swapping them in the winter time with the stock, but i want a tire that will last me a little longer miles wise, and have a little less of a chance of ruining because they are a little tougher?

what do you guys think. A/S vs Summer in NJ... daily driver? i just want to narrow my search selection down and want to make the best decision possible for my driving!
I'd vote for a performance oriented all season. The first thing I did with my car was install winter tires regardless of the type of all-season tires on it.

Much depends on the type of driving you do, but peformance all seasons have come a long way. Unfortunately, they still don't come up to any decent snow standards but they're fine for the other three seasons.
Old 03-09-2012, 02:42 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by benben01
Damn Killer! Tire Rack must be slow.. Prices are still at MSRP over there.
Not sure what you mean, but the DW and DWS listed on TR are on closeout.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....ECDW&tab=Sizes

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....CDWS&tab=Sizes
Old 03-11-2012, 08:28 PM
Racer

ok... i i think i have it down to the Bridgestone Potenza 970AS and the General G-Max AS-03. The Potenza's are almost $100 more a tire.... but if they are worth it i will spend the money on quality.

General has good reviews... but i never heard of the tire before this board. What do you guys think.... i believe i may be leaning towards the potenza's unless i can be persuaded otherwise.