Megan racing Coilover TSX

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2015, 10:22 PM
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Megan racing Coilover TSX

Installed coilover on my tsx and it was great.

It's been 7 months and I hear some knocking sounds at the rear. I tried to open the box that leads to the rear coilover but I have no clue what to do. People said tighten the nut? Any tips guys?

I hear knocking sounds everytime i hit over a pothole or speedbumps. If i drive normally there is no sound.
Old 01-07-2015, 10:37 PM
Intermediate

I found this.

Megan Racing

It says twist CCW to remove the 17mm. So should I twist it CW to tighten it? then put back the damper system?
Old 01-07-2015, 11:44 PM
VTEC just kicked in, yo!

Received 1,112 Likes on 876 Posts
Yeah try tightening the bolt above the tophat. I hope by twist you don't mean you're gonna try and do this by hand... you'll need some sort of socket wrench to apply enough torque. The Megan instructions should specify the torque spec of the nut, at least my TEINs do.
Old 01-08-2015, 12:56 AM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by xtcnrice
Yeah try tightening the bolt above the tophat. I hope by twist you don't mean you're gonna try and do this by hand... you'll need some sort of socket wrench to apply enough torque. The Megan instructions should specify the torque spec of the nut, at least my TEINs do.

I;m gonna try it tomorrow. yeah I will def need to use socket for the 17mm one. I think I can just twist the top part right (damper) ?? My rear coilover is so hard to twist the damper out.. there's so little space

On Megan;s site it tells me CCW. I'm guessing I will be doing CW to make it tighter?
Old 01-08-2015, 03:25 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 509 Likes on 323 Posts
"I hear knocking sounds everytime i hit over a pothole or speedbumps. If i drive normally there is no sound."

Huh, I kinda figure the occasional speed bump and pothole are pretty normal to encounter.

In our experience, when there is a knocking it is either something loose, or the shock has lots its gas pressure. Let us know how it goes!

Marcus
Old 01-08-2015, 08:03 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by MrHeeltoe
"I hear knocking sounds everytime i hit over a pothole or speedbumps. If i drive normally there is no sound."

Huh, I kinda figure the occasional speed bump and pothole are pretty normal to encounter.

In our experience, when there is a knocking it is either something loose, or the shock has lots its gas pressure. Let us know how it goes!

Marcus

I tried tighten it myself but I have no luck. The space provided for was too tight.....
Old 01-09-2015, 10:37 AM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by mrkxu
I tried tighten it myself but I have no luck. The space provided for was too tight.....
It is probably a rubber upper mount, right? A rubber bushing, not a spherical bearing?

If it has a rubber bushing honestly the bolt in there is not usually the cause of the noise. It can happen that there is creaking between the upper mount and the body. You can try dropping the damper down and putting a piece of rubber in there to try and isolate the upper hat from the underside of the body mount.

Messing with all this stuff is like a hail-mary. Most of the time the noise is inside the damper itself. We see it on the entry-level dampers like these.
Old 01-09-2015, 02:26 PM
Intermediate

It is probably a rubber upper mount, right? A rubber bushing, not a spherical bearing?

If it has a rubber bushing honestly the bolt in there is not usually the cause of the noise. It can happen that there is creaking between the upper mount and the body. You can try dropping the damper down and putting a piece of rubber in there to try and isolate the upper hat from the underside of the body mount.

Messing with all this stuff is like a hail-mary. Most of the time the noise is inside the damper itself. We see it on the entry-level dampers like these.
do you think megan can send me new coilovers for the rear? I tried calling but It never goes through.
Old 01-09-2015, 03:34 PM
VTEC just kicked in, yo!

IMO, you get what you pay for with Megan.
Old 01-09-2015, 04:15 PM
Safety Car

Received 833 Likes on 581 Posts
What has been the best coilover option for the 2G TSX, in terms of value/quality/ride?
Old 01-09-2015, 04:38 PM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by mrkxu
do you think megan can send me new coilovers for the rear? I tried calling but It never goes through.
This is one of the reasons we don't deal with Megan much. Parts that need replacing from time to time are one thing...but you gotta support it. Megan themselves may not be that bad, but their dealer network is not the greatest. You need good dealers to support product...Megan dealers are lacking sometimes.

Originally Posted by 2012wagon
What has been the best coilover option for the 2G TSX, in terms of value/quality/ride?
PERSONALLY, Tein has been a really great brand for us. They last a long time, are refined in ride and handling, and are quite good with support after the fact. The cost is not the lowest, and you won't get all the features on paper of a Megan kit...but you do get more features than with H&R at a lower price. We feel Tein Street Basis/Street Advance/Street Flex offer the best value for the Acura driver in the business.
Old 01-09-2015, 04:44 PM
Safety Car

PERSONALLY, Tein has been a really great brand for us. They last a long time, are refined in ride and handling, and are quite good with support after the fact. The cost is not the lowest, and you won't get all the features on paper of a Megan kit...but you do get more features than with H&R at a lower price. We feel Tein Street Basis/Street Advance/Street Flex offer the best value for the Acura driver in the business.
Sounds like Tein is still good one for DD. I had Tein Basic on my MSM Miata, and I had Tein Flex on another car. They never let me down.

Might be time to come down to your shop bring the wagon, and see what you guys can do
Old 01-10-2015, 06:05 PM
VTEC just kicked in, yo!

Originally Posted by 2012wagon
Sounds like Tein is still good one for DD. I had Tein Basic on my MSM Miata, and I had Tein Flex on another car. They never let me down.

Might be time to come down to your shop bring the wagon, and see what you guys can do
Yeah go with TEIN, I love my set of Street Basis. I have no plans on slamming my vehicle (a modest 3" drop is more than enough for me), adjustable dampening is one thing, I decided I don't need this for my DD; no regrets, and of course TEIN quality. Just need to figure out if you need the extra features or not, then choose accordingly
Old 01-10-2015, 10:14 PM
Safety Car

^^ thank you sir